• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nintendo Boy Wonder: Nintendouji for SSB4!

Why do you want Nintendouji in Smash?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
♥ Nintendouji Support Thread ♥
Overview

Enter Nintendouji, a mysterious redhead with Japan’s ultimate, ancient weapon: cards. Nintendouji (which literally means “Nintendo boy”) stars in a downloadable DSiWare title under the same name for the 3DS. What makes this game unique is its exclusiveness. Not only is it exclusive to the Japanese Nintendo Club, you can only download it if you are a gold/platinum member.
Nintendouji’s gameplay is described as a “turn-based card game with dungeon crawling RPG elements”, as well as having luck in it, like guessing hidden enemy positions. Ninty Boy (yes, I’m calling him this instead of “Nintendouji”. It’s cute, short, plus I’m lazy) uses magical cards that can cut through darkness and summon the power of the gods. He explores dark dungeons, searching for God’s stolen treasures, facing enemies along the way. Upon collecting dungeon loot and returning to your home base, you can upgrade your stats and unlock new abilities.
These treasures look awfully familiar! He ain't called "Nintendo boy" for nothing!

During Ninty Boy’s adventure, a friendly Kappa aids him, as well as a merchant.

Look familiar? Both characters appear in the game Sakura Samurai. In fact, Grounding (the developers of Sakura Samurai) apparently developed Nintendouji as well.

--> Check out some Nintendouji gameplay here!
--> Read about Nintendouji here!

Treasures

For those who are curious, there are 35 Nintendo-related treasures, with the Three Sacred Treasures being all from the Super Mario series: Starman, wooden hammer, Mario’s hat. I only have a few sources on this, so I'm a little sceptical. But nevertheless, below is a list of the different series/hardware that are referenced through the treasures:

- Super Mario
- The Legend of Zelda
- Animal Crossing
- Mario Kart
- Donkey Kong
- Luigi’s Mansion
- Star Fox
- Pikmin
- Metroid
- Dillon’s Rolling Western
- Sakura Samurai
- Chibi-Robo!
- NES
- Game & Watch
- Wii Remote
- NES R.O.B.

Source

Nintendouji in Smash 4

As a result of the game’s exclusiveness, Ninty Boy’s chances are pretty slim, especially since we have no idea if he’ll get a sequel or he’ll stay exclusive. It’s a shame that the game probably won’t get released overseas. Not only the gameplay, but the Japanese cultural influences, like the art and music, makes it an intriguing game in my eyes. Nevertheless, despite being relatively new, Ninty Boy would make an interesting dark horse pick, as well as being a new IP, something that I could see Sakurai doing. Nintendouji makes references to different Nintendo series. As such, if Sakurai wants to reference various Nintendo-themed items through an already existing character (and Nintendo itself), Ninty Boy fits the bill.

Movesets

In the works! But I don’t want to leave this support thread feeling barren, so here’s something for now.

Specials

B -- Light Card: Fires a card radiating in light in a straight path. Upon hitting an opponent, he/she will be blinded (stunned) for a couple of seconds. Fully charging the move will release a barrage of cards, which will do multiply damage and stun the opponent longer (even if one card hits, the effect will still be longer).

Side B -- God’s Judgement: A random god/comrade is called upon, and summoned. The attacks/effects of each god vary. I know that there is little info and gamplay as of now. However, I want to try my best to come up with attacks inspired by the game. So, even though I don’t know what each god specifically does:

--> Snake: Creates a wave of water that runs across the stage in whatever direction is faced. The wave can push multiple opponents with it, dealing a bit of damage as well. The move works the same in the air.

--> Tiger: Slams on the ground, creating an mini earthquake around Ninty Boy. Anyone caught in the uplifting earth will receive damage and be thrust upwards. The earthquake works only on ground and platforms. In the air, the Tiger will create a shockwave instead, with the same properties of the earthquake.

Up B -- Teleport: Similar when teleporting back to base or into dungeons, Ninty Boy teleports himself in whatever direction. The move is similar to Mewtwo’s recovery, though the aesthetics are the same in Nintendouji.

Down B --

Like mentioned earlier, Nintendouji makes a lot of references to different Nintendo franchises. As such, his moveset could also reference the Nintendo-themed treasures that are found (like attacks using Spiny Shells, Sledge Hammers, etc.).

Smash Attacks

Up Smash -- Barrel Bomb: Chucks a DK Barrel upwards that explodes on contact, or in the air if no one touches it.

Down Smash -- Rupee Slam: Holds a green Rupee in one hand, and a blue one in the other. Smashes both Rupees onto the ground, on both sides, shattering in the process (that's one strong slam!). Similar to Lucario's Down Smash.

Side Smash -- Sledge Hammer: Pulls out a classic sledge hammer from the Mario games, and slams it in the faced direction.

Images

[collapse=Why aren't there a lot of pics of this cool guy? :<]
These are the exclusive 2012 JP Club Nintendo platinum gifts that are available. You are able to chose 2 out of the 4: Nintendouji, Super Mario playing cards, 2013 calender, Pikmin tote bag
"Hmmm, I think I'll write a letter to Sakurai explaining that I want to be in SSB4..."[/collapse]
Pixiv has some fan art on him, actually. For examples, click here and here (Smash trophy). Though, if you want to search for some more pics of the guy, you would have to search "任天童子".

Credit goes to FalKoopa for the support sig. ^_^
♥ If you peeps have anything you want to add to the OP, just post 'em here, and I'd be happy to add them ♥

SUPPORTERS~

Croph
lonekonwolf
ScatmansWorld25

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How about "Ninten Boy" as the cute lil nickname since it flows better

D

Deleted member

I can see him as a darkhorse, though at the same time he may be too new and too obscure.
I mean, he just came out in a Japan exclusive Club Nintendo DSiWare download title (which is for some reason exclusive to the 3DS rather than the DSi).

I'm a little iffy on supporting him, but I'm waning a bit towards support.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Mr. Hanafuda feels like the better rep because he is the first product of Nintendo. He's the better card candidate than Nintendouji, who has equal chance as other Eshop(DSiware) candidates.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'll support him for few reasons: he's an interesting card fighter and we need more redheads in the roster. :awesome:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
He looks like he could represent the company itself as a whole, using Hanafuda cards and other Nintendo items to attack.

The major drawback is that he is obscure and Japan-only...

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
The thing is, I wanted to make Ninty Boy steer away from using Hanafuda cards (since as far as I know, he doesn't use them in game). Instead using attacks which consists of magical cards, the power of the gods, and various Nintendo-themed items, not just a card rep. Though, there's nothing stopping Sakurai if he wants to use Ninty Boy as a Hanafuda fighter.

Golden pretty much summed it up. He's very new and obscure. He'd be a risky choice. Like, he's exclusive to the exclusives, wtf? However, I thought that he deserved a support thread because his character and game is distinct.

And I did thought about using the name "Ninten" but I thought people might get confused with this guy lol:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
He's the better card candidate than Nintendouji, who has equal chance as other Eshop(DSiware) candidates.
Disregarding the apparent bias here just because you happen to be the OP of the Mr. Hanafuda thread, do remember that Nintendouji is meant to represent the company as a whole and not the e-shop. Dillon and Harmoknight are better representatives for that.

@Croph
Can you add my support sig to the OP? :)

Also, I think he would be an in-game rival to Takamaru, as to who represents Japan better. :awesome:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
@FalKoopa: Done and done. Thanks for the sig btw ^_^

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mr. Hanafuda feels like the better rep because he is the first product of Nintendo. He's the better card candidate than Nintendouji, who has equal chance as other Eshop(DSiware) candidates.
Sorry but Mr. Hanafuda looks pretty lame compared to Nintendouji.... not to mention, Mr. Hanafuda isn't even a real Nintendo character, let alone a real character. He is just a fan-made character who looks like a stack of cards with poorly drawn arms and legs. At least Mr. Game & Watch was based on actual generic stick figures in Game & Watch games, especially Fire. I also don't think Sakurai would add characters just because they were the first something (whether it's product or protagonist or whatever) unless Sakurai sees the unique gameplay/moveset potential in a character.

If I had to pick one Hanafuda-based fighter, I am going with Nintendouji. Plus he kinda reminds me of the rival in Pokemon Gold/Silver. :awesome:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Also, I think he would be an in-game rival to Takamaru, as to who represents Japan better. :awesome:
I could actually see that as well. Though, I could also see it as a friendly rivalry where the two do each other's hair in ponytails and drink sake during their spare time.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Sorry but Mr. Hanafuda looks pretty lame compared to Nintendouji.... not to mention, Mr. Hanafuda isn't even a real Nintendo character, let alone a real character. He is just a fan-made character who looks like a stack of cards with poorly drawn arms and legs. At least Mr. Game & Watch was based on actual generic stick figures in Game & Watch games, especially Fire. I also don't think Sakurai would add characters just because they were the first something (whether it's product or protagonist or whatever) unless Sakurai sees the unique gameplay/moveset potential in a character.

If I had to pick one Hanafuda-based fighter, I am going with Nintendouji. Plus he kinda reminds me of the rival in Pokemon Gold/Silver. :awesome:
You realize that it's just a concept of him.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Exactly. A concept. Not a full-fledged character that Nintendo created. Mr. Hanafuda is just a fan-made character.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
It's a possible appearance, and it's something Nintendo has never done before. And it's a just a character with arms and legs just to make him be able to move and attack and look like a magician (only literally the magician is the deck of cards), otherwise just(just) a deck of cards looks boring.

D

Deleted member

So it's safe to assume Hanafuda isn't actually a part of the game?

In any case, Nintendouji could be the Yugi Mutou of Smash. Remember how Yugi fought in Jump Super Stars and Jump Ultimate Stars? Imagine that kind of style.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So it's safe to assume Hanafuda isn't actually a part of the game?

In any case, Nintendouji could be the Yugi Mutou of Smash. Remember how Yugi fought in Jump Super Stars and Jump Ultimate Stars? Imagine that kind of style.
That would be very interesting if they were to go with the Yugi route. Nintendouji Moto for Sm4sh! :troll:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I haven't come across anything referencing Hanafuda cards in my research. I could be wrong, but for now I'm assuming that he doesn't use them.

Here's a quote about the cards actually: "Recover the stolen treasures of God by using "Shikibuda", cards that call forth "Shikigami" (gods tasked with ascertaining whether acts that occur from people's hearts are good or evil in nature), "Jouhobuda" (literally cards of compromise), cards that cut forth paths through the darkness." Source

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Only popularity will tell about Nintendouji's fate in SSB4
Lol, did you think we are expecting him in SSB4? :laugh:

No, not at all. His presence will be bonus.

Thinking about it, a sticker and/or a trophy seems rather likely.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I've updated the OP with info pertaining to the treasures found in the game, as well as some fan art. Some of the Nintendo-related treasures come from series such as Metroid, Luigi's Mansion, Chibi-Robo!, and Dillon's Rolling Western, which surprised me. Once I know more about the gamplay (which I'm still doing research on), I'll attempt to finish my moveset, though it's probably going to suck lol. Here's hoping that by some miracle his game will not stay Japan-exclusive...some how...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
In really don't think this character will get in (sans DLC) but..............

The idea is good as he can represent characters outside of Smash. He could summon other things from Nintendo games (though it seems the game focuses on the more common stuff). Still a niffy idea.

Spire

III
BRoomer
If Nintendouji is in SSB4, he could influence [Japanese] players to buy and register more games so they can become Gold/Platinum members and thus download his game. His inclusion could single-handedly earn Nintendo extra money.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Revival!
Personally, I think he would be a good choice. He's unique, could serve as a WTF character if WFT doesn't count, and he could represent Nintendo's beginnings and what they currently are now. Hanafuda and Video Games.
Now we just need a roster image so I can put him in my roster.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Hehe, I can't believe this thread is also revived, I think he's a good way to show off the Hanafuda cards, and its a fictional character also unlike Daitouryou, I guess that gives bonus points for Nintendouji.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Hehe, I can't believe this thread is also revived, I think he's a good way to show off the Hanafuda cards, and its a fictional character also unlike Daitouryou, I guess that gives bonus points for Nintendouji.
Yeah, me and G0LDEN were talking about it yesterday and I think we convinced each other that he would be a good choice because of that.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I watched the video and saw nothing about how he fights but, as you say, the more traditional japanese style of the game, both in art and in music, is something few games have and something I do like to see. It's a large part of why I loved Okami.

While his combat seems near non-existent, his poses are that of your average card ninja coupled with that of a japanese tarot-esque fortune teller. To me this would suggest a moveset comprised of illusions, precision card throws (think that triple kunai move Naruto always uses) and slices and explosive chi-style moves using the light energy channelled from the cards.
To complement this, I see him as a very agile character with little in the way of close combat defence or combo potential. A hit and run kind of guy who can also fight at a distance but doesn't have a blanket all range projectile like the other characters, instead having to switch moves as they get closer or further away.

Anyway, it seems like a cool little game and, while nigh unknown and undetailed, he seems cool too. I'd call him "Douji" by the way.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Huh, this guy looks pretty cool. Though I doubt he would get in Smash 4, at least as a playable character, I fancy this character would make an interesting addition. His game looks somewhat interesting as well. In mine opinion, the character does have a lot of potential.

With that, I guess I support.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Whoa, I haven't even finished my moveset for Nintendouji...

The funny thing is, when the game FIRST came out, there wasn't a lot of info. Now that more articles/vids are out, I do have a general understanding of the game. Of course I had to use google translate for the various game walkthroughs I came across lol. Like I've said, there were like no vids when the game first came out, so I had to go on nico nico (as there were a lot more gameplay/music vids) haha. But since I know more, I'll try to finish my moveset (actually, more like scratching my original idea, as I have a new one).

But I'm glad to see more support. :grin:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
ah, I know this guy very well, he is defiantly on my wish list,
I do believe he is the best possible represented for the hanafuda cards, along with actually being a character, plus I like his design along with his moveset possibilities
if there is a support list, I'll like to be on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom