• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEW Yoshi Matchup Thread V2|Week 10 - Zelda

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Just as a side, I've cleared out all Pikmin after downsmashing before.

It's not very common, but it's certainly not once-in-a-blue-moon.

P.S. - Hmmm. Wow. Haha. I dunno. I hope I haven't been fighting for Olimar in that post, LOL. I spent a lot of time writing that, ROFLLLLL!

Awex

Smash Lord
I read somewhere in the last page or two that Olimar gets gimped? Not very true. The most we can do is apply lots of back and neutral aerial pressure offstage to try and either force him to whistle when doing so would leave him unable to use his Up+B to recover or to actually physically force him out of range of a successful Up+B for him. Baiting whistles can sometimes work to your advantage, but that's more of a mental pressure game than your typical "mindgame." There's also the very rare edgeguard--I haven't been keeping up with the Olimar boards, so I don't know why sometimes, even when he's not being edgeguarded, his Pikmin just kinda...plop themselves against the edge instead of grabbing it. This happens, too, on occasion, but I wouldn't rely on it.
Yeah, that gimp just happens sometimes. Definitely not reliable though. ;p

I've never been baited into whistling, but then again, I play almost entirely on reaction time so maybe someone tried and failed and I never noticed. ;x

It COULD work but if Olimar is in that position and you simply wait for his whistle when he expects an aerial, you run a heavy *** risk of getting stage spiked if called on it. >>

Captain Olimar has a very weird edgeguarding game himself. His aerials are all very strong and break the jump relatively early compared to most other characters. He puts himself at risk while edgeguarding, though, since the whistle is mostly a defensive tactic and obviously cannot be used while using another attack. Yoshi's defensive attack options while recovering outrange Captain Olimar most of the time, but the speed and power of his Pikmin threaten ties if any player is not completely on the mark.
Olimar doesn't have a lot of aerial edgeguard options vs Yoshi or most characters, unless I read your next move and spike. It's better to stay grounded while edgeguarding. fsmashes, aerial in response, or simply grab Yoshi right off the ledge. (Olimar can grab any character who's head or hands kind of peek over the ledge while they're hanging there after their invincibility frames are gone)

As far as KOs in general go, I tend to agree that Yoshi should not be using up aerial very often in this matchup. Unless you've got some sort of master plan and just want to bait whistles to set up for something else (which is entirely possible), up aerial will not really connect successfully unless you are applying massive pressure with things like single hit back aerials and weak up tilts or punishing baited airdodges. KOing off the sides for Yoshi is harder, but much more successful, I think--KOing Olimar off the top is really easy, but it's often stuffed by whistle since our upward KO attempts are fairly obvious (the moves, rather...not necessarily how we use them).
Agreed.

I don't think that Captain Olimar's upsmash KOs "early," per se, but I do find it extremely effective and spammable, especially out of a dash. Forward smash is the typical keep away-KO move, which is awesome, but there are dodging patterns that I've noticed Yoshi can employ to successfully dodge two and counterattack with jabs or tie on the third with forward tilt. It only works for two forward smashes in a row at the same speed, so it's not entirely "staple" to employ, but it's hard to explain without a video or frame data. I think Olimar players rely on passive damage and damage over time as the match goes on, and rightfully so. I don't think that Captain Olimar does enough damage straight up (it's just not built into his character, I find) to KO straight out of a fight. He has to set up over the course of about forty seconds or so can has to force opportunities, similarly to Yoshi. He cannot expect them to appear--he has to force them.
It can KO quite early with purple pikmin.

I can only speak for myself, but after you get too close after 2 fsmashes I'm not just gonna fsmash again. ;x

Also, Olimar has crazy freaking combos you fool. Passive damage is good, but I don't think you've seen everything Olimar can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEWVGiLCLcI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSnh3q1-WQ4
Those are some sick examples. Of course there's MY combo video too... ;D (see sig)

Olimar's forward air is good, but I think back air gets the nod for best KO aerial he has.
Yeah pretty much. Dair is hella strong too even when it doesn't spike.

I also find it very hard to swallow Olimar's neutral air to smash as an effective technique--effective enough to use more than once, I mean. Similarly to how Yoshi players may have player-specific setups into effective KO moves, neutral air isn't exactly all-purpose for Olimar. Would its use not become very...forseeable after the first attempt?
Believe it. It's quite foolproof, and really easy to set up. SH uair finishes with enough time to start a nair, SH side b, then nair, empty SH into late nair ect ect.

As for camping, Olimar is quite top tier. I can't argue that. I will say, however, that people tend to let themselves get grabbed a lot by Olimar. Conversely, they try too hard to dodge and beat Pikmin tosses when they are eventually setting themselves up for ground **** (while they're trying to stop Pikmin in the air). I don't think taking some passive damage via Pikmin is entirely unreasonable unless it's that white one. They're easy enough to get off while approaching Captain Olimar and they do not apply freeze frames to Yoshi (if they did, it would be super gay and way too good).
Agreed.

I've already explained how to egg roll versus Captain Olimar--I received no disagreements with my post. I know it's probably not 100% on the money, but I feel that effective egg rolling makes this matchup so much easier. Similarly, proper downsmashing after egg lays (easy to do while DJing through forward smash spam) makes the matchup much easier as well. The only Pikmin that I notice that tend to survive are the purple one (obviously) and the blue one after the downsmash has degenerated by approximately two levels. Even if multiple Pikmin survive, I think Olimar only really becomes vulnerable when he has less than two Pikmin out. When he has less than two, his options become severely limited due to the fact that both players know exactly what Olimar's attacks are now capable of, instead of trying to keep track of two or more different kinds. With one or none, Yoshi can begin to apply smart, poking, lagless pressure and maybe not guarantee a stock, but at least make the next few moments very not easy for the opposing player. Anybody would be able to tell you that Olimar will make grabs a top priority at this point; knowing how to abuse that will make applying short stabs for pressure easy since lots of smart players know when to poke and when to back off. Sorry if that was a little incoherent, but I hope you all caught my drift.
Egg roll is just too punishable. Once you move past Olimar, you get dsmashed/grabbed, if you stop in front, you get grabbed. Socks has tried it, it does NOT work. =/

Olimar's up aerial is good. It sure as heck doesn't juggle, though.
Umm, you can't air dodge through all of it, and you can't out-prioritize it. You can only go around it. ;x.

When we give a ratio for this matchup, I don't think it's more about whose advantage this is, as I think they're pretty close on paper. In a tournament situation, though, I think Yoshi has to do less work to see marginally better results over an extended period of time with more favorable stages. The ratio, to me, signifies who has an easier time of executing their battles plans and I feel Yoshi trumps Olimar, even if just a little bit, on that point, as I've attempted to outline above.
Both characters have to work extremely hard in this matchup. I would say it's easier for Olimar if the Olimar knows how to set up that defensive fortress, and the Yoshi has to get THROUGH it. >>;

Also, I've had all my pikmin killed by egg lay to down smash once. Every other time I had a couple left that jumped with me. Only with 0 pikmin can you shield pressure Olimar effectively. And even with 0, Olimar can cancel the pluck immediately into a grab or smash if he has 0 pikmin. Just something to be weary of.

I spent a long time posting this too.. Sleep now.

*Rest* PIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!

Mmac

Smash Lord
I still think Yoshi has an easier time though. After playing with a Olimar that knows how to set up a nasty defence, my entire opinion changed on the matchup, then I learn how to get into his defences. I find that Dash Grabbing is the best counter defence Yoshi has. It comes out fast, it out ranges Olimar's non-white Smashes, and outspeeds his grabs. It's stopped by a simple Spotdodge, but Yoshi can bluff into other options. He can SH into an Nair, which leads into an Autocanceled Jab, Ftilt, Dsmash, DownB, and even Pivot Grab on landing, and he can also follow it through to the other side which makes Shield Grabbing difficult. Plus if all else fails, there's always spotdodging.

Also EggRoll is now almost useless as an approach (If you actually had some success before). It's simply stopped cold by Utilt and Nair. Never follow it through with Egg Roll, NEVER!

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Hm. It seems we've come to another impasse.

I will settle for even. It's not like Captain Olimar's a bad character and he's much more capable than Yoshi overall, I think. I still think Yoshi has a somewhat easy time, but since Olimar has more options and more reliable tricks and traps, I don't mind pushing it to even.

P.S. - Never ever drink Bawls past 1:00 in the morning. BAD IDEA IS BAD

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
It really is a tough match to call, with compelling arguments on both sides of the equation.

And it's not such a big deal drinking a Bawls at that time of night. I usually don't touch caffeine, but I'm often up past 5:00am (as is the case right now... it just turned 5:00 here :laugh:).

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Ugh, what is with our indecisiveness lately? =(

I'm still going for the 6:4 Yoshi, though.

D

Deleted member

Frankly, ive come to the revelation that WHO CARES WHAT THE NUMBERS ARE! Yes, we should try and get a good grasp on the numbers. But how do the numbers help us. Because, honestly, we shouldnt need to outline every single option the other character has against us just to explain our opinion on the matchup. We should get the numbers down, but if we really want this to be a resource to tournament yoshis(and non tournament yoshis for that matter), we should outline WHAT ARE OUR BEST OPTIONS AGAINST SAID CHARACTER. Like for olimar:

Olimar has a very strong defensive game, this we know. He has long ranged smashes, rediculous grabs and pivot grabs, and a broken camping game. Aerial approaches are usually pivot grabbable if you are both in a neutral position, but yoshis running grab beats everything olimar has. I usually try to be tricky with my movements(yes this is very vague), and go for dash grabs(obviously not everytime), then fthrow and start pressuring. Grabs, jabs, usmashes, and bairs to keep the pressure on, and dont let him land.

There thats my mini olimar approach/pressure summery. Thats the kind of thing that would help, more than: Yoshi beats olimar because he can bair and stuff and kill pikmen and kill olimar easily.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I think I am just going to link this entire discussion for the summary. Quoting and stuff is too much work and pressure when there is so much of it...

I think we are done though, we basically went over every element on this matchup. I kinda want to do ROB, because from what I've heard, he's actually not as hard for Yoshi, although I can't Dodge his lasers if my life depended on it!

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
R.O.B. would be a good topic to go to, because I would actually give him a firm 4.5:5.5 against the dino. Strong words, I know, but I've played a lot of really good R.O.B. players, and the simple fact is that while R.O.B. can certainly rack up damage at a distance fairly well, Yoshi puts up an incredible fight against him.

For one thing, Yoshi's aerial mobility simply destroys R.O.B's. It's an absolute slaughter.

R.O.B. also has like NO good killing options against Yoshi. Neutral air, up smash, and forward smash all get out-poked by Yoshi, and down air isn't likely to work, either.

Conversely, R.O.B. is one of the characters that's actually QUITE susceptible to Yoshi's kill moves, especially up air. R.O.B. doesn't have any reliable answer for Yoshi's up air at all. His best bet is down air, which takes about twice long to come out and poses no real danger to Yoshi above land.

I've also spiked R.O.B. more regularly than pretty much any character (with the exception CG to spike, of course). If R.O.B. is stupid enough to chase Yoshi off-stage, he is WIDE OPEN for a counter-spike. His best option is to stay put and play to his laser and gyro when he has Yoshi off the stage; neither of which are likely to kill.

This isn't to say that R.O.B. is helpless, however. He's still got his marvelous keep-away game, and more importantly, he's weighty enough to survive a long time against Yoshi, even at high percents. And let's not forget his almighty down smash. However, Yoshi simply has too much mobility and too many answers for R.O.B's long-distance attacks to make him a serious threat, and his killing options are just FAR to plentiful against the robot.

I'd be hard-pressed to call Yoshi a R.O.B. counter, but in my experience, he more than gets the job done against him. 5.5:4.5 Yoshi is my call here.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
R.O.B. is good for the next discussion, I guess.

*ahem*

Well, to start off, his projectiles are annoying, but we can out-spam him because they both require some sort of charge. His Gyro is dangerous, but don't forget that it gets destroyed when if comes into contact with a shield. You can also pick it up and throw it back at him, or just pick it up and spam eggs since he would be unable to unleash another one. For his Laser, it comes out fast despite its slow start-up lag. It's damaging at full-charge, but not much of a threat otherwise. Yoshi's only option is to avoid it since he doesn't have a reflector or absorber; a spot-dodge should work just fine.

Now since that R.O.B. can't out-spam you (YOU'RE TOO SLOW!), he'll need to approach. I'll leave it here for now. I'm too lazy to go into anything else for the time being...

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Yeah, Egg Toss is a big help in this match-up (surprise, surprise). Not only is R.O.B. a big, slow target, but it is actually good at keeping him from recovering easily.

On the topic of recovering, R.O.B. is very succeptable to any of Yoshi's attacks due to the fact that he can't air-dodge during his up-B. Spikes may not kill him, but they will make it more difficult to recover. B-air works wonders, too. He's also easy to stage spike. R.O.B.'s recovery is good, but it is also easily interceptable, like Luigi's. Oh, and R.O.B. can't recover high, either. He doesn't have an answer to anything that is below him, so recovering high is just asking for pain. You need to be aggressive when it comes to his recovery and make sure he eventually runs out of fuel. Since R.O.B. can only regain fuel while he is standing on the ground, if he does make it back on stage you must try to get him off immediately.

Actually, I have a video of me absolutely owning R.O.B. during his recovery that can give a good idea on what to do. Unfortunately, I can't upload it, so I'll need to send it to Scatz for him to hopefully upload it. ._.;

D

Deleted member

Robs ftilt beats every one of our aerials. =( I think =P

Poor yoshi.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Not from what I've seen, they don't. Yoshi's pivot grab and aerials pretty much keep R.O.B. totally in check up close.

Mmac

Smash Lord
You know what I wonder, Why is this not stickied yet?

Anyways, I have trouble with ROB, but it might just be personal issues. I seem to get always hit by Nair's and Lasers, and I KNOW they can be easily avoided

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Not saying the matchup is a walk in the park, but the only things to worry about...

...forward tilt.

...neutral air.

Yoshi can deal with gyro any number of ways. Laser is probably going to hit you with that stray shot every now and then. Just don't double jump into one when recovering. Well, I can't say that much, either. You should double jump into it if the laser is aimed at your flying body (assuming you're being knocked away) or else it will KO you. You shouldn't double jump into it if it's aimed where you would double jump.

That's probably pretty obvious, though.

Learn how to DI that downsmash, it saves lives.

And yeah, R.O.B.'s other stuff is just to be annoying at this point. Forward tilt is where the majority of his on stage effectiveness comes from and neutral air is what he'll be KOing with most times, if not period.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
ROB is just one of those match-ups that will be an up hill fight the whole way through. For the most part ROB out-ranges yoshi and has more priority then yoshi and can out-camp yoshi.

What I try to do in this match-up is NOT keep my distance. I think if you stay on ROB the whole time with Nairs and Bairs and jabs he can't do much about it. But, if you let him get his distance it will be hard to approach cause he will laser and gyro when you are far and when your close he will Nair, Ftilt, Dsmash and so on.

So, basically do NOT let ROB keep his distance or it will be very hard to get a solid approach.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Another thing IMO this whole number system should be removed and we should just have written summaries on each match-up. Because the way you have the numbers all around 5 makes it look like every single match up is a neutral match up which is definally not true. If your going to have a system for disadvantage, advantage, and neutral.

Then just write either disadvantage, advantage, or neutral. It would make it alot easier for pretty much everyone and its a lot more simple and effective to just say if it is a disadvantage, advantage or neutral. And a long side that you can have a summary.

The numbers are NEVER 100% so whats the point. What is 100% is whether it is an advantage, disadvantage, or neutral.

Just think about changing that i think it would help a lot for real.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Believe it or not, lilb, R.O.B. totally DOESN'T out-camp Yoshi. His range advantage is also negligible in the face of Yoshi's VASTLY superior mobility. In addition, as I mentioned before, he has no killing options when you take neutral air out of the equation, which is really easy to do if you're careful enough. On top of THAT, Yoshi's killing options - generally one of his down sides - actually carry a lot of danger to R.O.B. in this match-up. And finally, Yoshi's pivot grab into throws into Egg Toss really means business against R.O.B.

R.O.B.'s forward tilt is nice, don't get me wrong. But we're not talking Snake, here. It's not going to single-handedly save him against Yoshi's approaches, nor will his dodge into down smash combination (another of R.O.B.'s trademarks).

R.O.B.'s best bet against Yoshi is to hope that he makes a mistake and becomes impatient. Given that we're talking about the utmost level of competition in these match-ups, this is not likely to happen.

It's an uphill battle, alright. For R.O.B. it's an uphill battle.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Actually, I can attest to R.O.B. outcamping Yoshi, especially on abusable stages like FD and Smashville.

Realize that camping in this game isn't just about running away. It's about picking spots on the stage, holding them, preventing your opponent from getting anywhere near, and also to rack up damage. It doesn't matter if you can't KO or not, people will time you out for no real reason (well, the reason is to win, but you know what I mean). R.O.B.'s edge game with lasers and gyros isn't unbeatable, but it puts up a nice sturdy wall that Yoshi can't get around most of the time. The occasional forward air and rising neutral from the edge also stuff Yoshi sometimes when he's closing distance if he gets an opening.

I'm also in agreement with just the written summaries--they make the goal to all these discussions much less ambiguous and makes the readers focus on details instead of just quick flashes of numbers.

I like Lil' B's approach to fighting R.O.B.; it's how I get the job done in this matchup and in the matchup with Zero Suit Samus, as well. The reason I hadn't mentioned R.O.B.'s camping before is because I kinda sub-consciously stay as close to him as possible at every moment that I can.

Chicken Bacon Ranch is obviously too good today. WTF Lil' B. Hacks.

Again, to reiterate, R.O.B.'s camping isn't meant to KO you. It's meant to stop you from getting to him. The more time he spends stopping you from touching him, the more he can spend touching himself on the edge.

Yes, R.O.B. touches himself.

All the time.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
:yoshi:I'm also in agreement with just the written summaries--they make the goal to all these discussions much less ambiguous and makes the readers focus on details instead of just quick flashes of numbers.

I like Lil' B's approach to fighting R.O.B.; it's how I get the job done in this matchup and in the matchup with Zero Suit Samus, as well. The reason I hadn't mentioned R.O.B.'s camping before is because I kinda sub-consciously stay as close to him as possible at every moment that I can.

Chicken Bacon Ranch is obviously too good today. WTF Lil' B. Hacks.

Again, to reiterate, R.O.B.'s camping isn't meant to KO you. It's meant to stop you from getting to him. The more time he spends stopping you from touching him, the more he can spend touching himself on the edge.

Yes, R.O.B. touches himself.

All the time.
Hells yeah Chicken Bacon Ranch knows whats up

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
The reason I hadn't mentioned R.O.B.'s camping before is because I kinda sub-consciously stay as close to him as possible at every moment that I can.
And therein lies the issue. I think we all know what the point of camping is, Shiri. But the fact that you specifically said that you stay as close to him as possible and therefore it didn't occur to you to mention his camping demonstrates that it's simply not that intimidating. He can't keep Yoshi at a distance forever, even though I do agree that Smashville and Final D are great CP stages for him.

And let's assume for a moment that Yoshi is ahead in the match, and not the other way around (as is likely to be the case for reasons I've illustrated previously). Now it's R.O.B.'s turn to catch up and try to get that stock in. As such he does... what, exactly? Even assuming he wears Yoshi down completely over the course of time with lasers and partially-charged gyros, what's he going to do to get that stock in on him? Neutral air? Up smash? Forward smash? Chase into down air spike? None of these are likely to catch Yoshi if he's on the defensive, or even if he's playing partially offensively with pokes, jabs, and Egg Toss.

The difference between Yoshi and R.O.B. is that while R.O.B. has ways to hold Yoshi at a distance, Yoshi has moves that put R.O.B.'s stocks at risk (although, as I said before, R.O.B. survives a fairly long time, too).

Stages like Battlefield actually tend to work against R.O.B. quite a bit, as Yoshi can put R.O.B. on a platform and pummel him from almost directly below with Eggs, while R.O.B. doesn't play keep-away as well from above. So although I agree that Final Destination favors R.O.B. more, I'd say places like Battlefield are more in Yoshi's favor, especially given that R.O.B. can't fight directly below him worth a crap.

It's actually a strange reversal, really, since Yoshi normally thrives on Final, while R.O.B. is generally supported by Battlefield.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I disagree with you sir orion on most of what you said excpecally what you said about ROB landing a KO move. First of all ROB has SO many KO options and there pretty easy to land. All the ROB has to do is land one of his quick Dsmashs or Nairs and there you go yoshis dead. And on the other hand Yoshi can't KO. Yoshi has like 2-3 solid KO moves at most (Uair, Fsmash, Upsmash) which makes it VERY hard to KO a ROB because of his weight.

So, pretty much ROB has the advantage in all aspects of the match-up which includes

-KO options
-KO power
-Priority
-Range
-Edge guarding
-spamming
-camping
-Projectiles
-Wieght

Gindler

Smash Champion
Don't yoshi an ROB weigh the same? That list reminds me of snake (minus the edgeguarding)

But yeah, like alot of matchups I agree with lilb that you have to stay on him, get him airborne with a Bair and abuse him, his only fast aerial is his Fair (which is ridiculously good if you ask me). The nair doesn't bother me much (it's too slow, I think yoshi's Fair outspeeds it...i guess they could start it reversed). ROBs also probably the easiest character to land an Uair on since he's extremely vulnerable from below, and even if i get hit with the Dair for some reason I've always traded it with my Uair. He is one of the most annoying if no THE most annoying characters to fight, heck I do better against GeeDubs! that's player specific though...

D

Deleted member

Rob is worse for yoshi than snake because his camping game is much more threatening(usually), Yoshis eggs destroy snake, and robs ftilt has better angles than snakes. Plus recovery.

Wall of ftilt>yoshi, once we get in we can do some nice damage tho.

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
Well im gonna go ahead and type my opinion on this since i hate this **** match up for fighting so many HAXED and campy ROBS

For one ROB doesn't really outspam yoshi
IMO they pretty even, yoshi slightly better
ROB pretty much only has 1 charged laser(then he has to wait) and 1 gyro thingy while you have eggs to keep throwing at him
so technically you can outspam ROB

ROB side Tilt is a pain it can screw you when you are upclose and jab doesn't save you or your side tilt
cause his comes out faster

your best bet up close is quick jab and pivot grab or Nair
cause when he starts side tilting you cant really do much other than pivot grabbing him possibly

ROBS down smash is pretty much something you have to watch out for up close cause it out prioritizes your entire ground moveset
Your bair is not really that good in this match up since his side and up tilt just hits even if you bair and your nair also

so best approach to attack ROB is air and grab
you have to try to keep ROB in check with pivot grab
and beat him in air just don't get predictable with bair

Most ROBS will try to come with the Nair
but that gets old fast, your Uair comes out faster than his Nair and Dair
so your Uair is your best friend in air against ROB
Robs fair is weird as it seems to be have a disjointed hitbox so watch out for that
but again your Uair should do trick here too

When ROB is recovering it will probably will try to come back to stage with a Nair
you spam him with eggs and then go for a fair if you want but probably a Uair is best
A dair usually works well too if he is leveled with stage

When you are recovering use a few Eggs if ROB is trying to spike to keep him in check

All i said above is easier said than done trust me on that
You have to very patient in this match up

I think i'll go and say this is 55:45 Rob :bee:

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Didn't I just explain how Yoshi can out-camp R.O.B.? >_>

The key here is to actually grab the Gyro, so that leaves R.O.B. with only his Laser, which takes time to charge. By the time he is even able to fire a small one, your egg should be sailing over to him. That forces R.O.B. to approach, which Yoshi can completely counter with hit pivot-grab and up-smash.

Yoshi's main kill move for this match-up is undoubtedly his u-air due to R.O.B. being bad at hitting anything below him. You can also u-air him out of his recovery too because he can't air-dodge. Actually, if you do it right, while recovering Yoshi's u-air would be COMPLETELY UNAVOIDABLE.

R.O.B. does do a bit better when faced against Yoshi in a ground battle, though. He out-ranges and out-prioritizes us. He loses to us in the air, though.

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
I didn't read any of the previous post because i was to lazy to
so i just threw my opinion out there weather it matched previous posts or not

but i guess we agreed on most of the stuff then

D

Deleted member

Lol@yoshi outcamping rob. Sorry guys, it doesnt work.
Rob has a very easy time appoaching, even tho his only approach is walk-> ftilt.
You cant stop it, dont try XD. Any rob trying to approach with something else isnt doing it right.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Yes, because we all know that R.O.B.'s forward tilt is completely and totally unbeatable no matter what you do. All bow down to the mighty forward tilt!

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Did you even READ Poltergust's post, lilb? If you pick up the Gyro, you take it out of the equation. It's difficult, but not even CLOSE to impossible.

After that, Yoshi is free to use Egg Toss while holding the Gyro (because it's a B move and not a regular item), and he's only got his laser to work with.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
^Yeah, what he said! :mad:

*cough*

Is his f-tilt really all that R.O.B. needs? Don't forget that we'll still have the Gyro in our hands when he attempts to approach (at least if you stopped his projectiles correctly). And if push comes to shove, I'm almost sure that our d-tilt outranges his f-tilt.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Did you even READ Poltergust's post, lilb? If you pick up the Gyro, you take it out of the equation. It's difficult, but not even CLOSE to impossible.

After that, Yoshi is free to use Egg Toss while holding the Gyro (because it's a B move and not a regular item), and he's only got his laser to work with.
Okay big deal you have a gyro in ur hand tell me how that helps yoshi he can't do anything but throw eggs so then all ROB has to do is approach with f-tilts. And for the most part you wouldn't even try to pick up the gyro because it is pretty annoying to mess wit

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
So, let's talk about this for a second. Yoshi's camping and now R.O.B.'s approaching. Granted his forward tilt is a very fast move (and is extremely good overall), but he's still got to stop for a few frames every time in order to use it. This, coupled with the fact that Yoshi is about a bajillion times more mobile than R.O.B. (specifically in the air) means that if R.O.B. is just approaching using forward tilt (and possibly the laser), he's not going to catch up with Yoshi, and is going to get hit with a LOT of eggs.

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
And its not like ROB can keep throwing lazers at you
he needs time to recharge them

he can throw a big one then he throws very tiny ones that dont make you flinch or nothing

in that time you can eggspam him pretty easily

Top Bottom