• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New & Improved Lucas Video Compendium + Critique Topic

prOAPC

Smash Lord
Here are a couple of mine that I would like Critiqued. Any helpful advice is welcome.

Vs. Wolf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPXrqeo236s
0:00 - isn't that stage banned?
0:10 - be careful with your PKT2, using it on the middle of the stage is dangerous
0:24 - lol, that wolf has poor DI
0:32 - try not to use grounded pk fires, specially if you are going to spam it. SH PK fire are always a better option
0:41 - eat that Wolf! That's what happens when your are too agressive, but with bad spacing
0:47 - don't do that with PKT2. If your are being juggled, aim PKT2 directly to the ground, not like the way you used it
0:59 - you spam grounded pk fires, you get punished
1:19 - if you like to use PKT, then learn to use it :S
1:31 - good attemp to gimp him with PKT and PK Fire

No more to say. Good work with jabs and ftilts as getawayfromme moves. But i have to say this, both of you have to improve a lot. For you, don't stay there in the same place and spam PK Fires and smash, Lucas is a fast character if you know how to play him. As for Wolf, bair is your friend buddy, learn his ATs, like at 0:47, you could punish Lucas with your DACUS

i watched both matches, both i'm gonna critique the second one ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6uqfenwxbM ). In the first one you played extremly good, looks like you know the matchup pretty well, and your Lucas looked so fast. But in the second one, i found some mistakes

0:31 - grabbing the air? 2 missed grabs so far
0:36 - that's my move! XD j/k, but yeah, Olimar gets ***** by dthrow+utilt, and is easy to grab them because they don't like to be in the air
0:45 - i don't know how you do the FH airdodge, but if you look closely, you finish the move way before touching the ground. I would recommend fast falling the dair to autocancel it (watch Tyr) or use your second jump and going for another dair (I would say watch APC's videos, but my account got suspended T_T)
0:52 - you saved him :S if Olimar doesn't have his second jump, just grab the ledge and wait
1:17 - be careful with those PK Fires that send you off stage
1:31 - another grab missed
1:39 - too much grab >_>
1:54 - Olimar's ledge attack is too good, i hate it
1:58 - see? you have to fast fall your dair
2:21-2:30 - was there a problem with your control? you were only dodging
2:37 - lololol usmash to uair too good XD
2:57 - that last stock was **** :D good job killing olimar that fast

tsilver33

Smash Ace
Hm... Ok, so less PK fire. Got it. And yes, that stage is generally banned. But that was from a GB match a week or two ago, and I didn't realize he didn't have it set to neutrals. Less smash, short hop PK fires. Thanks for the advice APC.

MTGod

Smash Champion
I love watching Thunderslides in matches ^^ It looks so specky!!!

Good games

lil cj

Smash Lord

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I don't know if I'm allowed to critique but hey, I play Lucas too so I'll give some tips too.

I'm impressed with the PKFire, I think just about every time I saw you do it it hit him.

As CJ said you are very very good at keeping your space between Ness, but get him out of the air, you are better fit to fight a Ness on the ground. (this is because BOTH of you are good at aerials)

I noticed you were trying to suck up his PKT but watch it, I've found that after the first half second or so of Ness' PKT you need to NOT be anywhere near him unless you notice his angling is way far out. It's too risky because his PKT2 is too strong.

Other than that, I really enjoyed watching you play, they were good matches.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
O HAI EVERYONE THIS IS HAILCREST's MINI COMPENDIUM OF VIDEOS PLEASE TAKE OFF YOUR CLOTHES AND DANCE

Legend:

Wifi
Friendlies
Tournament (well I'm in Singapore so no tourneys here, but I hold tournaments at my house with official rules so does that count? ._.)

Ordered from newest to oldest

Singles

13/2/2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lri2LOl3HE :dedede:

28/10/2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZIJs0hWb7k :yoshi2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qD-AsNBgFc :falco:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAiyS_dkpjI :lucario:

Doubles

11/12/2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAUIZln8Ti0 +:pit: vs. :falco::diddy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPvyvA6R8hM +:pit: vs. :diddy::yoshi2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wo0z8km7-0 +:diddy: vs. :pit::lucario:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOqY54xy1Nk +:diddy: vs. :pit::lucario:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omScFIUMyKU +:lucario: vs. :diddy::pit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pduIuQwWEtw +:lucario: vs. :diddy::pit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPVrABeMD9Q +:lucario: vs. :diddy::pit:

cloudenvy112

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etgz60xAIbQ

vs Marth on WiFi. yeah, appaently I'm not allowed to go to tournies for the rest of the year, so this is the best I've got >.> I've gotta work on my PK Thunders, learn to Zap Jump recovery, and space better. am I right?
I'm not sure if it's free to critique in this thread but I'm going to anyway. I liked your Lucas overall. Considering it's Wi-Fi, I do not know how much the match actually lagged but I do know that Marth is a tough matchup for Lucas. I posted a few video responses but I would like to give you some tips.

1. Work on the approach: I know Marth is scary and he smells bad, lol jk, but instead of trying to always strike him with a Nair, go for Fairs or change up your approach pattern. The main reason he was able to avoid most of your approaches was because you were pretty predictable with them. I liked how you used PK Fire to keep him at bay. That is a great option.

2. Recovery: A lot of the times during the video, I saw predictable recoveries. If the Marth was smarter, we would've jumped off the stage and attempted to gimp you and prevent you from coming back. Your main problem is yourself. I don't have a Gc controller so I can't Zapjump easily. However, I use his tether, PKT2 recovery, and Magnet Pull to get me back. Lucas has a high chance of making it back depending on the user and if you wish to make it back safely, try either aiming for the ledge or your opponent so they'll think twice about trying to gimp you.

3. Tilts and Specials: You used a lot of Nairs to keep the match going. I like that. Unpredictability is key so you probably need to use more tilts like Ftilt or Dtilt to keep him on his toes. PK Thunder is also a good way to pressure the opponent off stage and on stage so use that to your advantage. PK Freeze and even PSI Magnet will help you in the battle.

That's about all I got. I wish I had a Gc controller so I could do the PK Fires you were doing in the video. I was very impressed by that. I'll ditto you at anytime so you can see my Lucas. PM me if you want to brawl. I'm always ready. Thanks for posting the video up!:)

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if it's free to critique in this thread but I'm going to anyway. I liked your Lucas overall. Considering it's Wi-Fi, I do not know how much the match actually lagged but I do know that Marth is a tough matchup for Lucas. I posted a few video responses but I would like to give you some tips.

1. Work on the approach: I know Marth is scary and he smells bad, lol jk, but instead of trying to always strike him with a Nair, go for Fairs or change up your approach pattern. The main reason he was able to avoid most of your approaches was because you were pretty predictable with them. I liked how you used PK Fire to keep him at bay. That is a great option.

2. Recovery: A lot of the times during the video, I saw predictable recoveries. If the Marth was smarter, we would've jumped off the stage and attempted to gimp you and prevent you from coming back. Your main problem is yourself. I don't have a Gc controller so I can't Zapjump easily. However, I use his tether, PKT2 recovery, and Magnet Pull to get me back. Lucas has a high chance of making it back depending on the user and if you wish to make it back safely, try either aiming for the ledge or your opponent so they'll think twice about trying to gimp you.

3. Tilts and Specials: You used a lot of Nairs to keep the match going. I like that. Unpredictability is key so you probably need to use more tilts like Ftilt or Dtilt to keep him on his toes. PK Thunder is also a good way to pressure the opponent off stage and on stage so use that to your advantage. PK Freeze and even PSI Magnet will help you in the battle.

That's about all I got. I wish I had a Gc controller so I could do the PK Fires you were doing in the video. I was very impressed by that. I'll ditto you at anytime so you can see my Lucas. PM me if you want to brawl. I'm always ready. Thanks for posting the video up!:)
Thanks, and sure xD Wow, I thought I abused FTilt, and used more FAirs o.O Needs more retreating FAir? Also, I'm realy in need of someone critiquing that Galeon match I posted a few posts ago, I really thought I played the best I could, just to get ***** hard. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for you input though, and yeah, Marth scares me, I get scared to recover in fear of a gimp that might not happen : /

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Don't use f-air that much, it's usually punished by grab on non-retreat *see grab release bulls1@$J* or some sort of f-tilt of f-air if you space it. When you get inside his range, f-tilt or jab, don't do anything else except maybe a n-air, but that's still risky. I didn't actually watch the video but I know the MU. I have to play this on a bulls1@$ basis :(

cloudenvy112

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, and sure xD Wow, I thought I abused FTilt, and used more FAirs o.O Needs more retreating FAir? Also, I'm realy in need of someone critiquing that Galeon match I posted a few posts ago, I really thought I played the best I could, just to get ***** hard. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for you input though, and yeah, Marth scares me, I get scared to recover in fear of a gimp that might not happen : /
Lucas dittos are tough matches bro. It's all about your playstyle. If you are offensive, then you'll be wanting to try and pressure the other Lucas so that they make mistakes. If you are defensive, you should centralize a point on the stage to dominate in case the other Lucas tries to approach in different ways. Being both offensive and defensive obviously gives you a better position on the stage. I saw the match and of course it didn't brighten your Lucas spot. I hope it taught you something: there is definitely and always room for improvement. I like your use of PK Fire and Magnet mechanics. Brawl me anytime! :D

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
Galeon = 2 gud 4 u

He knows how to space well. I see that he short hops when he's quite far away from you, but you short hop right into his face. i.e. I think you're too aggressive and eager, and you walk into many of his attacks and comboes.

Also, at the start of the match I think it'd be better to see more pk fire camping. It sort of stagnates the battle until both of you get into your game and positions and the fight can really get started.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Hey is anyone gonna critique my Lucas? I need help with mine. I want to beat Rocket PSIence flawlessly, XD.
I laugh when I do wi-fi, I play so horribly in any kind of lag of that magnitude (you live in guam...) , so I don't really take it too seriously. (I mean come-on, none of the crap would happen w/o lag)

cloudenvy112

Smash Apprentice
I laugh when I do wi-fi, I play so horribly in any kind of lag of that magnitude (you live in guam...) , so I don't really take it too seriously. (I mean come-on, none of the crap would happen w/o lag)
I see what you're saying, but rather than looking at it from a win-loss thing, do you have any recommendations for me? Like, I'm looking for stuff like approach, or more PK Fire, or what? Not based off my or your victories, but what I did or didn't do in the matches. Got anything like that?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I know, I'd say that you're pretty decent, but I'd like to play a match or two right now if it's ok, so I can evaluate a little more?

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAiyS_dkpjI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qD-AsNBgFc

Well the other video critique thread is mostly dead and I could use some more opinions on my Lucas.

It was a really close match on the second link, I feel I should have been able to kill the other guy much much much sooner.
Well, I'd like some critique on these matches. Oni already gave some on the other thread (why are there two video critique threads btw?) but I could use some more because I kinda feel off my game lately.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Updated Thread *11/5/09
Do yall think I should get rid of last year's videos and post all newer vids?
Lucas still plays the same though lol

Well, I'd like some critique on these matches. Oni already gave some on the other thread (why are there two video critique threads btw?) but I could use some more because I kinda feel off my game lately.
Thats normal when you play Lucas lol
Just play a secondary and give Lucas a rest and you will be back to normal

I watched the first video...pretty good
But those PKT2's were predictable he shielde grabbed you everytime
And be careful in the air against a Lucario, he's better in the air than we are.
Pretty good spacing, be careful not to do upsmash too much or you will get punished
Dont always recover with PKT2 all the time especially if your recovering from above the stage(your just asking for trouble) try magnet pulling or drop down so you can tether, switch it up.
And what Tyr told me know the range of your rope snake, you missed the ledge on that last KO.

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
I could be wrong, and I really don't want to nag on you, but I think my section is missing a few vids (a ditto vs Galeon and a few other recent ones). And I personally think that although Lucas plays the same, that last years vids should be removed.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
Remove them. Last year's vids are just cluttering up the post and making it even harder to read lol.

But save it in a text file or something in case people complain...

lil cj

Smash Lord
Ok guys I deleted(and saved) last years vids.
But I kept all the combo vids and Lucas techniques though
Another question, do yall think the fun vids should stay or are they just a waste of space?
Oni I added most of your new vids and just added your match with Galeon

*Updated 11/17/09

lil cj

Smash Lord
Ok cool I remember those...epic!
I have the 2nd vid in the Lucas technique section
The first I guess could go under fun vids

Top Bottom