• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEW Guide To Spray Painting Your Gamecube Controller

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I should have my colors, theme, etc chosen out in the next few days. Then I just need to choose who to get the paintjob from and send my controller. :)

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
do u guys know anybody who does lights n such? or do you know of any mods other than paint?

:phone:
Here's the info I got for the LED master dude:

Cool. For something like that I'd suggest C4 if he has time to do it.
Woah, A new thread of painting controllers? I'm gonna like this.
Yeah, this thread is pretty awesome. Using it I'd like to one day be able to make a controller like Alexander mentioned using tips and such.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
If I were to send in my controller to Keitaro, would I have my controller back before The Big House (oct 22)?

One of my ideas was to have green as a base color and then some other colors as stripes with Monk written wher e the gcc text is. If I think of something more complicated, I'll send it to c4.

EDIT: I know CloudChaser knows how to fix my wire issue. Keitaro, do you also know how to fix my wire issue? And would I have to pay extra for that to be fixed? lol

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
yea id love to see pictures. and yea im considering having some work done, shouldn't be too extensive but a bit more than paint. thanks.

GameStation aka C4?!

Smash Journeyman
I was using Airbrush when I started working on these controllers, but now I'm gonna be moving onto SprayCan to get a more even coat of paint on these bad boys. Less time, less maintenance, more time to complete more controllers. CON-TROLL-LOLERS. lol

Keitaro

@Monk: Sorry for the late response, but id suggest offering that project to another smasher. I've never tried multiple letters on one controller and I have had trouble making small letters recently.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
thats fine, i can just get it painted w/o my name then. i have an idea in my head of what to do already, i'll draw it out in paint and pm it to you today or tomorrow.

Keitaro

thats fine, i can just get it painted w/o my name then. i have an idea in my head of what to do already, i'll draw it out in paint and pm it to you today or tomorrow.
Sounds good. Btw I can do a letter in the middle if you'd like to similar to my recent controllers.

jedi093

Smash Cadet
ok a few questions:
do u have to sand the x/y/l/r/a/b buttons and then paint em?
which paints actually stick to rubber tip of the c-stick and analog stick?
what paints are the best overall for adhesion?

GameStation aka C4?!

Smash Journeyman
ok a few questions:
Bumping this, these are things I would like to know as well.

Paints that work with Dupli-color Adhesion Promoter? Close to all paints I would say. I would almost say if there weren't different Types of clear coating. You got your Dupli-color Clear Coat Enamel and Clear Coat Acrylic. Both work with the Adhesion Promoter mentioned above, but there are different kinds of jobs that require different types of spraying in order to get certain effects.

Are there Clear Coat Sprays that give the feel of rubber? IDK, mostly because I never did any research. Yeah. That's my duckbill quaken falco lip smackin.

GameStation aka C4?!

Smash Journeyman
Bumping this, these are things I would like to know as well.

Paints that work with Dupli-color Adhesion Promoter? Close to all paints I would say. I would almost say if there weren't different Types of clear coating. You got your Dupli-color Clear Coat Enamel and Clear Coat Acrylic. Both work with the Adhesion Promoter mentioned above, but there are different kinds of jobs that require different types of spraying in order to get certain effects.

Are there Clear Coat Sprays that give the feel of rubber? IDK, mostly because I never did any research. Yeah. That's my duckbill quaken falco lip smackin.
C4 if I sent you my controller, could it be done before oct 22 (the big house)?
If you sent your controller right now. judging by where you live I couldn't tell, but, It would take 1 day for prep Adhesion, and first coat of paint and extra days for addtional coats. Then 1 to 2 days depending on how many coats of Clear-coat I put on(usually two coats). Then a week to dry. I live in NY, so yeah, I'll leave the math up to you. lol

PS. This was supposed to be an edit and not a double post.

Keitaro

I saw your pm standard. For what you want I suggest having C4 do it since I can only do letter designs lol.

GameStation aka C4?!

Smash Journeyman
The closest thing I've done so far that involved intricate designs were controllers for ~Kuro and Anti.

I haven't heard from Him since I shipped his controller to him.

and then Anti's controller was done the same way

The last time I saw this controller the paint was coming off the color of the paint AND NOT the art work was starting to become yellow. There are a couple of reasons for that in which after I finished the 1st or 2nd coat of paint I wrapped it in bubble wrap to keep it safe. Unbenounced to me, the clear coat was still wet. The Design of the bubble wrap implanted itself on the controller. 2 or 3 days later I gave the controller to Anti(I think I waited 12 or 24 hours after I bubbled wrapped it.), and he thought the bubble wrap design was a plus!

Anyway, I told Him not to use it for a couple of days and he waited 3 or 4 more days(At least that's what he said). That was about 4 or 5 months(maybe even in 2010 I dont remember.) before I saw it last(It looked like it went through a rough battle...)

I used Faber-Castell marker on both of these after letting it dry one day. I waited a day after the drawing was completed the same way I would wait after I finished 3 coats of one color in a day's work (appox. 45 minutes to an 1 hour and 35 minutes).

Now, I was pretty much still a novice at making these thing and still am. That doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that people are expecting way to much from an artist who does this on his free time and is not doing as a way of income. If I did I would take these jobs much more seriously than I have been, and the quality of work that I put out would not be surpassed. Really hard work goes into these and I've gotten alot of praise for it, and I thank those who support what I do, but I'm really not up for doing this all the time. Just some times when someone has a perception of art and creativity instead of getting up the popularity latter, I begin to take interest. I thank you all for taking me into consideration for making controllers. I will be Donating My last 2 or 3 controllers that will be fully painted and designed, and they will be raffled off at Apex 2012. Thank you all again, and God Bless.

holyv

Smash Journeyman
put this thing on your topic: USE MASK!!!

Thanks dude, i painted with the luigi logo!

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
ok a few questions:
It's suggested to sand it since coloring them adds a small (miniscule) layer.

And I don't suggest painting the rubbers. If you let the colors stick and harden on the rubbers, then they'll be really slippery.

I love the Krylon paints :D

escro

Smash Ace
so i decided to paint mine as well... except i didnt spraypaint(!)
i used plastic modelling paint, like the ones for warhammer figures and sealed it with......
nail polish!
i know right? sacrillage!
but i think it worked out really well.
i used paints over spraypaint because i didnt have any spraypaint besides silver and also i wanted to get a "washed" look on the controller.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
today i did an experiment with Wu Pad. It came out pretty bad ( Mainly because i didnt use too much of masking tape. The spray paint went to the other side, and i didnt use Clear Coat (because i didnt had at that moment XD, and because i cant find a spanish trasnltion of clear coat xPPP))

EDIT: Can i use spry Silicone or lacquer instead?? have anybody tried it?

pradbitt

Smash Rookie
interesting idea, but i use an wii mote. how can i apply this with my wii mote

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
I'm thinking about spray painting my controller silver or green or whatever I find fun to have as a controller color.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Could try using both colors, silver and green go well together.
(Well... depending on what kind of green)

Pi

Smash Hero
hm i don't really like how the controllers appear all shiny ;p
will something like a vinyl dye give it a less shiny appearance as well as the same protection?

Keitaro

^ Controller I made for Monk. Although most of the buttons had to be replaced with normal buttons because the painted buttons were too big to work properly with the controller.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
I wish I could do this but I can't get the materials... or creativity...

I'll probably try this when I get the chance

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
My advice to anyone looking to make smooth and somewhat intricate designs:

1. Mark four corners on a paper numbered 1, 2, 3, and 4. Place the paper in your printer's manual feed or paper tray but also note the way you placed it. Determine what side of the paper your printer actually prints on.

2. Print out a graphic relative to the size you would like it to appear on the controller. To find out what portion of the paper the printer prints on, just use the numbers you created.

3. Place blue painters tape, slowly making sure not to have any creases/bubbles over the graphic you printed. Place the paper back in the tray or manually feed it to the printer with the blue painters tape on it and reprint the graphic.

Now you will have a nice stencil on your blue painters tape that you can cut out with an exacto-knife or razor of sorts. After cutting out your graphic the next part is removing the paper from the blue painters tape. Use a pointed edge of the razor and some steady hands to split the two and begin to peel away the paper being careful not to leave any on the painters tape.

Place the graphic over your coat of paint(the color the graphic is going to be) and spray the next layer of paint(the color the controller will be). Once the paint drys the blue painters tape can be peeled away revealing a nice sharp image. :)

Top Bottom