• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Most Popular Unlockable Thus Far...? (Poll/Discussion)

Which Unlockable Were You Most Excited to See Appear...?

• Ness

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • Falco

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Wario

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Dark Pit

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Dr. Mario

Votes: 18 9.2%
  • R.O.B.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Ganondorf

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Mr. Game and Watch

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Bowser Jr.

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • Duck Hunt (Dog)

Votes: 69 35.4%
  • Jigglypuff

Votes: 17 8.7%

• Total voters
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Hello all, I wanted to conduct an analysis on which unlockable has created the most hype for everyone in the forums. Will it be someone everyone was waiting for to return...? Or will it be someone that no one expected to appear...? (I will omit Lucina since we already knew about her existence.)
Discuss, vote, etc. I'm extremely curious on what you all think about the secret characters.

Last edited:

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
Duck Hunt has to be the one for me really, he feels the most unique and unexpected one in the list (if you kinda ignore the leak) + he's one of the few new characters that's unlockable ^-^ Looking at the list, there's a surprisingly low number of new characters to unlock... Only 3.5 (since Dr. Mario is kinda old/reintroduced).

Morbi

Scavenger
I had a lot of trouble deciding between Dr. Mario, Ganon, and Jigglypuff. I just picked Jigglypuff because she has the best emote. :4jigglypuff:

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Duck Hunt has to be the one for me really, he feels the most unique and unexpected one in the list (if you kinda ignore the leak) + he's one of the few new characters that's unlockable ^-^ Looking at the list, there's a surprisingly low number of new characters to unlock... Only 3.5 (since Dr. Mario is kinda old/reintroduced).
I think its best to consider Dr. Mario a "Melee Veteran" ...that way, he's divided from the groups; "veterans" and "newcomers".
I mean, I think the category he's in is kind of a mixture of both. The same would go for the likes of Mewtwo and Roy if they were to return.

Last edited:

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
My favorite unlockable character is Dr. Mario, while my favorite overall unlockable is the Pichu trophy, as it reminds me of my Melee main when not playing extremely seriously (almost competitively, but it's not since I only have computer players to play with).

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
I wouldn't have had a favorite before I played the 3DS demo, but I've had a change of heart since then. My time spent with Mario in the demo has been glorious, ripping through Level 9 CPUs like nobodies business. Dr. Mario seems like he'd fit better with my inability to combo. Since I'm way more inclined to go for one-hit wonders (explains why I've enjoyed Bowser so much over the years) and tap jump like a fool, Dr. Mario might partially break me from my pyro-mania. But not really, since he's still Mario.

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
BJ. At first I thought he was an evil Mario clone or a mini Bowser, but seeing him in action he's pretty unique. He has a good set of moves, projectiles, and even an advantage in his up b in that he can still attack while helpless. I'm definitely giving him a try when I get hte game, if only because I like the way he plays and moves.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Well, I'm sure that everyone knew the "secret" characters because of the render leak, but they wanted to see them in action. I was excited to see Doc and if he retained his Melee moveset. To my surprise, he did and he even had different fireballs.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I chose :4jigglypuff: because:
  • I feel like the unlockable newcomers are dull in comparison to other newcomers (just an opinion)
  • The newcomers I personally like aren't unlockable
  • Rest has come back from the depths of Melee and is ready to murder everyone in its way

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I know right...?
Jigglypuff was the easiest to unlock in both SSB and SSBM. But then SSBB happened and she's remained the hardest ever since...
IIRC, Jigglypuff's and Captain Falcon's criteria were swapped in Japan.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My vote goes to R.O.B. I've had nothing but sweet soft spots for the little guy ever since Brawl, so seeing him back and better than ever is a godsend~!

Incidentally, I thought this was "Most Unpopular Unlockable Thus Far", and I was hesitant to look at it because those kinds of threads always seem to be based on upsetting people and stepping on other people's toes. We already have plenty of threads like that. This is much nicer and I like seeing other people's favourite characters and opinions. Thanks for that~!

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
My vote goes to R.O.B. I've had nothing but sweet soft spots for the little guy ever since Brawl, so seeing him back and better than ever is a godsend~!

Incidentally, I thought this was "Most Unpopular Unlockable Thus Far", and I was hesitant to look at it because those kinds of threads always seem to be based on upsetting people and stepping on other people's toes. We already have plenty of threads like that. This is much nicer and I like seeing other people's favourite characters and opinions. Thanks for that~!
Of course. :) I was eager to see bright spirits...not flame wars...e.o There are enough of those running amok in the forums.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Most popular veteran unlock I'd say is none other then the Original 12 crew Ness & Jigglypuff

Out of the three newcomer unlockables. I'd have to say Duck Hunt by far.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
Ness and Duck Hunt are definitely mine. I voted for Ness in the poll because he's my boi. :awesome:

Pink!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KirbyCanvasCurse
3DS FC
3695-0038-5541
I voted for Jigglypuff since she is one of my mains :) But I was also excited to see Duck Hunt Dog.

Folt

Smash Ace
Voted for Dr. Mario. Good to see him and his weird properties return for another round of Smash.:4drmario:

Quote420

Smash Cadet
NNID
Quote420
I liked seeing Duck Hunt Dog the most, since I really didn't care for the clones (doc was nice to see though), and the veterans weren't anything new (seeing g&w and rob return was nice though), and that really only left me with the newcomers. Between the two unlockable newcomers, I honestly don't care for Bowser Jr. and I thought Duck Hunt Dog seemed like a very interesting character.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I voted for Duck Hunt, but I was excited to see Ness, Ganondorf, Duck Hunt, Bowser Jr. & Dr. Mario.

When the roster leaked, I was only excited to see (aside from Shulk, who is a starter) Ganondorf & Ness.

When I saw the leaked footage of Bowser Jr., I knew he was going to be really fun.

After the dust settled, I was excited for Dr. Mario simply because I liked him in Melee. I didn't play him a lot, so I won't be maining him any time soon, but I'm still a little excited to see that characters can return after skipping a game.

Duck Hunt I wasn't excited for until I saw him in action the day the streams first started. Man, I can't even.

Honestly, I think the only secret character I was not that thrilled about was Jiggs & Dark Pit, but I am probably going to choose Dark Pit over Pit, and Jiggs is at least cute finally.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I went with Bowser Jr because he's

1. Not a veteran
2. Not a clone or semi-clone
3. Not Duck Hunt

It was really just a process of elimination. But he still looks like the most interesting gameplay-wise out of all the options regardless.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Jiggs, I guess.
Though I use G&W as one of my secondary mains, I sort of knew he was going to be back no matter what, it's just one of those you expected.
While DHD is my favorite secret newcomer back since the original leak, I wasn't really excited about him until I learned his moveset, it was that time when the original leaked roster was officially confirmed to be the final roster and I was a bit bitter about things, not that DHD is at any fault.
Jiggs, however, was one of the characters I was iffy about. While part of the original 12, she was definately low on priority with not appearing in the anime or havig a big part in games. And with Mewtwo likely to be coming back, there was always the possibility she was cut in favor of him. I don't mind Mewtwo coming in and all, but having Jiggs cut would be a little sad. So I was a bit suprised and happy at her being the FINAL hidden character in this game. Once a joke character that was too easy to unlock, now the last one to the grand roster. Puff has gone a long way. Here's to hoping she stays that way.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
My favorite is Dark Pit. While he's not intuitive or anything, he is a favorite character of mine and I'm looking forward to hearing his voice in the US version. Also, I'm a Pit main, so naturally I like using Dark Pit too.

In general, Duck Hunt seems like it's the one to beat. It's retro, it's fun, it's funny, and it's actually a great character.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Lucina because she is not an option on the list. Super Smash Waifu needs more love.

Top Bottom