• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
So this Leo guy beats Mr. R on stream and now people are flocking to MK including on FG...good thing I go on FF and FG dubs more often. MK is beautiful online imo <3 roll spammers get hit by nado a lot and in dubs that's a free 20% plus a finisher from my partner. Also, for whatever reason, 90% of the time I can start off every dubs match with Drill Rush and get that 7% on one or both opponents. It's not much but it gets me in there and snuffs the approaches/projectiles my opponents try.

I swear everytime I post here I feel so noobish. My experiences are limited to FG both 1v1 and dubs and FF and 1v1s with my cousin and yet most, if not everyone here goes to tournaments...damn my lack of transportation!

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Sheik is bad for everyone, MK just doesn't get invalidated. Yes we got good mobility and 6 jumps but needles will always be a factor, also you can't be like 'ok i'll camp mk' its very tiring for the Sheik player and not every Sheik main can do it .MK is fast, he only has to be in mid range unlike mario who has to get in her face. She can't kill us via edgeguard, we can jump out of most of her combo's since our jump squat is frame 4 + 6 jumps.

If her needles get nerfed in anyway she'll be eating every once of our rage stored in our butter knife.

But seagull you'll never face a competent MK at your scene so MK shouldn't be on your radar. :/

MKs a 'solid mid tier' he won't do much. :dkmelee:

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Good stuff from Leo, Katakiri and Tech on their latest tournaments.

I've played vs ZSS and I know the MU requires a lot of work, but I think there should be a way to make it more even. Hopefully with Leo and this new wave of MK we can advance the meta.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I think for the time being I'm focusing on 100% MK again so I can figure out how to get around these bad MUs of ours. I somewhat agree with Oblivion. I mean I'm not sure what we can do against ZSS but I need to really learn the MU better.

SuperMachoMan

Smash Rookie
Meta knights the only character i ever put any investment into,considering i only really do for glory and smash 4 is the first smash game ive played.but i always die to yoshi.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I made 1st out of 73 in singles at AlfaCollusion VI yesterday. Every corner of Ohio was representing there + some Indiana.
I finally got the Rosalina bracket! It also happened to be the top PR bracket but still. My top 32 bracket was:
Spicer:4ness:(2-0), Kel:4sheik:(2-0), Fumbles:rosalina:(2-0), Fizzle :rosalina:(2-0), Mister Eric:4rob:(Winners Finals (Loss 2-3)), Fumbles:rosalina:(Losers Finals (Win 3-0)), Mister Eric:4rob:(Grand Finals (Win 3-0, 3-0))

I played like I usually have in winners just to play comfortably so, as always, Eric & I had a last game, last stock set. But in Losers I switched my playstyle to an experimental Frankenstein playstyle I've been theorizing about using Brawl MK air footies while forcing mistakes via switching between walking on platforms and tomahawk pokes from dashing off said platforms and going far more aggro than I'm usually comfortable with. I spent roughly half of my time on platforms, poking at the opponent from above. There was a point in one match that I juggled ROB for at least 15 seconds straight. It was different but it all felt right when put together...and I still can't believe it worked as well as it did.

After those sets, I feel like I've been playing MK wrong...again. I think I overvalued my defensive playstyle with him and undervalued how great a more aggro MK can be so long as I'm actively thinking while using him; and there's a definite difference between adapting and thinking in Smash and I'm only just starting to get it.

I picked up Pac-Man a few weeks back to help me learn get better at frame traps and thinking on my feet. I only use him in friendlies and Anther's Ladder ofc but I think a pocket Pac-Man is really healthy for any Smasher since being decent with Pac requires you to be thinking constantly and adapting not only to playstyles and player habits, but also to mid-match character movement. I also picked up Lucina for that same set of reasons.

At EVO, I realized that I was good at MK, I was good at Charizard, Mega Man, or w/e pocket character I might have, I was good at characters but I wasn't good at Smash. Playing against players that have been around since early Melee or even early Brawl made me notice that their thought was different than mine. When I played ZeRo, HBox, Abadango, and even Tweek for as young as he is, it slowly started to click that "oh, they aren't looking for the things I'm looking at, they're looking at a lot more than that." I was looking for moves to punish because I know frame data for almost every character; again, I'm good at characters. But I wasn't using deliberate spacing and movement to force openings or even thinking well on the fly. I was using raw reactions & predictions while playing defensively thinking "You'll slip up eventually!" and that's just not how Smash is played. The fact I got as far as #1 on Ohio PR without realizing that blows my god damn mind. But now that I realize that, I'm working on it, and I'm already seeing the results, I'm excited.:4metaknight:
ill getcha next time. dw
ggs<3

ZTD | TECHnology

Yes, it's Rage. And Up Tilt actually has a good amount of hitstun to it already. It links into other stuff that is true at small windows.

ChkMte

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChckMte
Can someone like tell me how he combo'd out of Utilt? Is it rage???
It's simply the percent. Aroundd 25-35 percent Meta Knight's up tilt starts to combo into up air, to be aware of that percentage in a tournament scenario is nothing short of impressive. Lylat's low platforms made that combo possible, any higher platform and Mr. R might have been too close for that follow up.

Last edited:

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I don't think he was particularly aware of the percent. I think any of us would have tried to go for an Up-Air after an Up-Tilt regardless of percent if we have rage. What impressed me was just how smooth he made it look.

I am stealing his N-Air cross-ups tho. That man's cross-up game is straight outta Street Fighter. I love it.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Hi everyone! It's nice seeing Meta Knight players do so well and have such consistent punishes, especially when footstools are involved (I remember watching Ito a few weeks back use this). However, I keep losing hope in my Meta Knight because I've not improved at all since day 1. The very most is that I have muscle memory dash attack > up-air strings.

He's the only fighter I get extremely frustrated playing as, but I don't want to give up. I think it's mostly because I have no idea how to set pace against fast fighters like Falcon or Sheik and I end up getting toyed around with. Although on a happier note, the forward-tilt buff helped my enjoyment of this guy and I really like that neutral-air keeps getting buffed (I remember hating it back when it used to do like 7%).

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Quick question: does our favourite batty swordsman have much use for perfect pivoting? I've recently been getting the hang of it. Got 7 PP utilts in a row on FF with MK and have all around been getting less and less dash attack mess ups. PP ftilts and fsmashes are easy to do and I can see the use behind those (I've even made use of PP fsmash in FG dubs myself), PP utilt might have some use? Can't see much use for PP dtilt. I recall reading far earlier in this thread that PP nado is a good or at least decent option? I also have no idea how to consistently PP jab although it comes out every now and then.

I may not be able to go to tournaments but I can improve myself damnit! Gotta pull one off in the heat of an actual battle still but I'm saving that for Kirby.

That's one thing I can be thankful for in regards to FF. Due to the mostly friendly nature of the mode, I can freely practice things like PP and jcit and the odd time someone actually wants to fight I can try practicing stuff on them. Plus, unlike FG, there's numerous stages to keep things from getting boring.

Also, completely unrelated but I find it amusing how there's always 'flocks' of people getting into MK and yet they usually drop him shortly after. I can't say I've used him since day 1 but the moment I started using him (which was before I knew about any of you guys and before he got buffed), I never abandoned him as a character. Most people here say he's hard to use and while I lack experience in an actual competitive environment, I use him regularly and he's plenty of fun. If I ever get the chance to go to tournaments, I plan on using the bat and if I do poorly than I'll just improve rather than abandon him.

...See, this is why I shouldn't post late at night. What was supposed to be a 'quick question' turned into a 5 paragraph post...

Last edited:

Dogivet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dogivet
3DS FC
1375-7594-5859
Geez what happened? Stop lurking for a bit to keep up with a hectic start to the week and suddenly jump 2 pages with new people.
Guess I've got a bit of catching up to do.

Got 9th out of 109 people, seem to keep hitting this wall at 9th, 3rd month in a row now. But it was mostly my own fault since I've been leaning into a bit of a burnout again, decided to start messing and learning with about 10 different characters.
Matches started off horribly, got reversed 2-0'd by the main defensive Lucario of the area, had a sudden realization what I was doing wrong and started to bring it back but it was bit late. Missed so many chains and punishes, felt like I should've slammed my face at the table to try and wake up. Lost in losers to outright skill and a bit of lack of match up knowledge.

Also figured out my problem with shuttle loop, was just a massive brain fart at the time that I should've remember that couldn't preform it grounded in the middle of a trot. Can preform it fine with a dash like chasing a tumble d-tilt.

But enough about my crappy experience this past week, I had an idea to go along side the Skype thing.
Next month should hopefully be the Tourney patch (with maybe some more buffs, who knows), but live tournaments aren't the only thing possible with it. It also has a MK8'esque community, which could be used for bat specific training perhaps?
I don't know just a thought.

ZTD | TECHnology

Respectable placement. Keep improving :)

Also sometimes a break from MK if you hit a wall does help (or it did from me). Helps you go back in fresh.

On a side note: I'm so tempted to just pick up something dumb as my secondary like Sheik or ZSS and be done with it lol. I love Pit but then I'm just like "Man this character is just all fundamentals, nothing really overwhelming. I wish I had a stupid kill setup.." -_- I guess I'll worry about it later though. I've been labbing up a few neglected tools on MK. :)

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
Just wanted to share this. MK da bess. The beginning is still pretty accurate lol.

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
LMAO "I main Meta Knight now"

Guest Users we can see you!

Last edited:

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
lmao k.rool supporters are tight right now. I died when i saw the k.rool costume. Sakurai you glorious troll :laugh:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
"B-but metaknight costume was announced before metaknight himself"

• 2nd most popular Kirby character
  • Meta Knights revenge is nostalgic af and iconic
  • Part of the main characters in Kirby
  • Sakurai created him
  • His dominance in Brawl will be marked in history lol

There's no way MK will ever not be in smash, he was even a trophy in melee. Even if Sakurai doesn't make Smash 5 he'll have the highest priority(other than the original 64 cast) since Sakurai, the creator of smash in the first place, created MK.

R.I.P KING-K-FOOL

ZTD | TECHnology

DAWG.

THERE'S SO MUCH ****.

I might need to make a video that highlights my discoveries on MK's best partners since I keep finding so much **** in this relatively unexplored part of our metagame.

Lemme just put it like this:

We can reliably kill anyone at 0% with :4metaknight:/:4megaman: and have other setups that amount to crazy early kills.

Last edited:

Foster J.

Smash Ace
DAWG.

THERE'S SO MUCH ****.

I might need to make a video that highlights my discoveries on MK's best partners since I keep finding so much **** in this relatively unexplored part of our metagame.

We can reliably kill anyone at 0% with :4metaknight:/:4megaman: and have other setups that amount to crazy early kills.
I guess with the hitstun and throw angle of MM's Dthrow you could get the killer Uair string off.... if not a Shuttle Loop.

linkez

Smash Cadet
I was redirected here, hey everyone!
That set is what gave me motivation to start talking around here.

I'm a Sheik / Mario / MK player right now (mk being the main in the last 2 months)

I was talking about mario matchup which surprised me quite a bit!
I play Mario as well, and i always land a lot of mean things on MKs. Also, took a look at Falcon MU cause i was having some trouble,but that seems to be the MU in general instead of my thoughts on it.

About me: I'm an Italian player and I am considered a "top seed" in my Country, even if I'm not really that good outside Italy i guess = / Nice to meet you all

busken

Smash Ace
Wasup man we usually discuss whatever here even if its not smash related so its kinda cool.

linkez

Smash Cadet
Sounds pretty good to me =)
ofc I'm mainly here for smash, but nice people is always welcome, right?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
We do mean things to :4sheik::4zss::4yoshi::4fox::4falcon::4sonic:these are the only characters we lose to imo, maybe R.O.B but Katakiri 6-0 MrErik sooo...

But we still lose, only 'mean' thing Mario can do is Utilt combo's. At a certain percent the combo won't work and his other combo's don't last long nor do they deal much damage. Then he has huge issues on killing MK unlike his brother.
DAWG.

THERE'S SO MUCH ****.

Please make a dubz thread, dump all this info in the OP. Other MKs that also play dubz can help too.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
I made 1st out of 73 in singles at AlfaCollusion VI yesterday. Every corner of Ohio was representing there + some Indiana.
I finally got the Rosalina bracket! It also happened to be the top PR bracket but still. My top 32 bracket was:
Spicer:4ness:(2-0), Kel:4sheik:(2-0), Fumbles:rosalina:(2-0), Fizzle :rosalina:(2-0), Mister Eric:4rob:(Winners Finals (Loss 2-3)), Fumbles:rosalina:(Losers Finals (Win 3-0)), Mister Eric:4rob:(Grand Finals (Win 3-0, 3-0))

blah blah blah im katakiri blah blah blah:4metaknight:
I also won doubles at that tourny with :4metaknight:
:3

Also a bonus slow poke mk meme that describes everyone coming into my stream telling me about mk

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
OMG LEO IZ MAKIN MK LOOK GOOD EPHEN DOAH ITO N TYRANT WERE DOIN SHIZZ BE4 LEO EVEEEN BECAYME RELYVARNT.

METUHKNITE GOZ EBEN WID SHEEEEKE SOLID MID TIER KEK.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
OMG LEO IZ MAKIN MK LOOK GOOD EPHEN DOAH ITO N TYRANT WERE DOIN SHIZZ BE4 LEO EVEEEN BECAYME RELYVARNT.

METUHKNITE GOZ EBEN WID SHEEEEKE SOLID MID TIER KEK.
BRO, YOUR MEMES ARE SO HOT RIGHT NOW.

Sorry if this has been stated, but I found a thing with making the Up-air string into upB easier without having to switch your controls to Tap Jump.

Basically, you need to make your :GCLT: a Jump button, and your :GCCN: an Attack stick. This allows for many other awesome things with aerials, but I'm sure most know this by now.

Anyway, I was having some issues just trying to get the Up air string with :GCY: as my jump (still is for short hopping) and :GCU::GCA: for my Up airs. So I tried to see if using :GCLT:could free up my right hand to only worry about hitting :GCA:. What I found is that you don't have to hit :GCLT:again once MK's wings are out (second-sixth jump) and you can just hold :GCLT: and attack, and he will just jump automatically at the same time you are Up airing.

Fast forward a while, and I think to try it :GCCN: by doing the same thing, but this would be easier, because just having to flick the stick lets my right hand get back to do a special move if they DI weird.

So in short, Up-air to Up-B string controls made easy::GCY:(SH)>:GCLT:(Hold)>:GCCU:(x4)>:GCU::GCB:
Also this is my first contribution to Meta's meta, if it actually is a contribution. I put it in another thread that's not really getting looked at, is this stuff anything to discuss or does everyone here do this by now?

Top Bottom