• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
lmao people already flocking to the boards. (SHEEP LOL)
^same lol

Last edited:

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
I'll try to get him here, but I can't promise anything.

Thanks for watching and showing Leo your love!!

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I just watched the VOD of the match. I was disappointed.

Leo's MK is really nicely practiced and his character placement is really solid, jumping over Sheik's N-Airs like that takes skill. His own N-Air placement was pretty on-point, the kid is real good at cross-ups. However Mr.R definitely wasn't on point. He probably doesn't realize MK's a fast-faller in this game because he was whiffing combos left & right and missed a guaranteed Up-Air KO on Lylat. When I heard Leo 2 stocked Mr. R twice, I expect a lot more from Leo rather than seeing Mr.R running into F-Smash and rage Up-Air combos. I'm far more impressed by his skill for his age than I am his MK-play specifically.

That 2nd KO on Lylat was smooooth tho. Hella impressed by that. With my boy Regi at EVO and now Leo putting in work, Mexico is looking pretty strong. Shame Leo doesn't have a visa to travel to the US. He's definitely a top MK.

ChkMte

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChckMte
I feel like even more important than Mr. R losing is the fact that a young player won the tourney. Yeah, I was watching and I agree that Mr. R made a lot of mistakes but Nairo himself said this kid could be the Mexican equivalent to Nairo's brawl career. Young blood like that keeps this community going strong!!

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
Mr.R clearly misplayed but hey, Leo still played amazingly. We probably won't see him compete in tournaments quite enough in the future due to his young age and country. Gotta watch mexican tourneys more though.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Mr R has played tyrant before, so i find it odd how he dropped combos when he bodied tyrant at CEO

More people flocking to MK? Gotta tell em that he's bottom tier asap.

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
Mr.R knows about MK's weight and properties, or he wouldn't have taken the guaranteed fthrow -> down b every time.

He just played worse than usual, it happens.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
New to the Meta Knight forums. It's nice to know there are mature players out there who didn't shelve him after his excessive, over-the-top Brawl transition nerfs and continued playing him for who he is now, or, like me, picked him up becuase he has this aura(no pun intended, Lucario mains) of awesomness whenever I taunt "Fight me!" at the beginning of any match. Good to know.

busken

Smash Ace
New to the Meta Knight forums. It's nice to know there are mature players out there who didn't shelve him after his excessive, over-the-top Brawl transition nerfs and continued playing him for who he is now, or, like me, picked him up becuase he has this aura(no pun intended, Lucario mains) of awesomness whenever I taunt "Fight me!" at the beginning of any match. Good to know.[/quote

At least you admit it.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
lol that video will be spammed endlessly on the boards next few days HEY GUYS DID YOU SEE THIS YET have fun

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
It's happening.

People are posting in my state's Facebook group saying they want to pick up MK.

Also people are asking me to help them with MK.

Is it wrong that I refuse to help anyone until they prove that their serious? The last time someone here picked him up:

A PR player: "Oh ___ is picking up MK, you should totally drop your knowledge on him"

Me: "I'll agree to that if he makes it past a month"

*two weeks later he drops MK*

Here we go again.

busken

Smash Ace
It's happening.

People are posting in my state's Facebook group saying they want to pick up MK.

Also people are asking me to help them with MK.

Is it wrong that I refuse to help anyone until they prove that their serious? The last time someone here picked him up:

A PR player: "Oh ___ is picking up MK, you should totally drop your knowledge on him"

Me: "I'll agree to that if he makes it past a month"

*two weeks later he drops MK*

Here we go again.
This is kinda sad honestly.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Man, this insane upset is getting a ton of attention. Makes me wonder what would've happened if Ito had fought Mr. R at EVO. Meta Knight's sudden huge leap in popularity is really surprising.

busken

Smash Ace
Man, this insane upset is getting a ton of attention. Makes me wonder what would've happened if Ito had fought Mr. R at EVO. Meta Knight's sudden huge leap in popularity is really surprising.
The hype is because he's 14, from mexico, played MK, and beat one of the best Sheik's in the world.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
The hype is because he's 14, from mexico, played MK, and beat one of the best Sheik's in the world.
Well yeah, that's a huge part of what makes that set such an insane upset. I wonder what will be the future of Meta Knight in Smash 4 in terms of popularity. I also wonder if Mexico has the most underrated competitive scene out there for Smash 4, or if it just has a few unbelievable players.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
@ Seagull Joe Seagull Joe Since when did MK get "rocked" by Mario and Luigi? The only MK you've played to my knowledge is Unknowns who's MK is low level, i do wonder where you(and other top players) get MK info from.

:016:

Its funny how Leo won an international in May, but no one cared. But suddenly being on twitch,youtube and beating Mr R made him famous.

This is the 2nd time he's won an international and the Mexican scene is looking stacked as ****.

busken

Smash Ace
@ Seagull Joe Seagull Joe Since when did MK get "rocked" by Mario and Luigi? The only MK you've played to my knowledge is Unknowns who's MK is low level, i do wonder where you(and other top players) get MK info from.

Its funny how Leo won an international in May, but no one cared. But suddenly being on twitch,youtube and beating Mr R made him famous.

This is the 2nd time he's won an international and the Mexican scene is looking stacked as ****.
What MU experience is Seagull coming off from? Also, I don't think it's that no one cared, I think no one knew. Regi is also a very good game and watch from Mexico, and Mr.R said that the average player skill level is higher then here in the states.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
What MU experience is Seagull coming off from? Also, I don't think it's that no one cared, I think no one knew. Regi is also a very good game and watch from Mexico, and Mr.R said that the average player skill level is higher then here in the states.
Thats what i wanna know brotha. Our mod kyokoro(i think that's his name) told us about Leo on the very first page of the top 5 mk thread, but no one really cared. That's 2 nationals under his belt and now we know Mexico is stacked af so his first victory shouldn't be thrown under the rug. I didn't see any bad players on stream no one can sleep on Mexico anymore.

Also catching Leo PP in neutral dang.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
More good MKs rising up. I'm leveling up as a player. All this is really inspiring me.

Oh Thursday is the last tournament of my state's PR ranking season. And I'm apparently in the running to be ranked. Yesterday helped my standing a lot. If I do well Thursday, this could solidify a spot for me. On one hand, I don't care about the PR. On the other, something cool is attainable so I guess I should go for it. I just don't wanna make a fuss over it.

Last edited:

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
just ran into 2 mks in for glory already. (never happens for me btw) It's begun...
This surge of new players, (for the ones that stay) will be helpful for pushing our meta.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Last MK I fought in For Glory mode many months ago was one of the worst MK's I've ever played. The start of many matches consisted of him running toward me, I shield, he side specials, then dies. This happened multiple matches. lol His Greninja was hot trash too. Constantly would kill himself off stage with shadow sneak. I'm sad 1.0.8 killed those hilarious replays.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
MK's in 4Glory, MK's pockets everywhere... **** it's like when ZeRo used Diddy for the first time and there's an inflation in interest lmao!

The Brawl days are returning guys.... all aboard the Halberd baby

ChkMte

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChckMte
I reccommend we take the Ganon approach: "Yeah my character can win tourneys but that's just character knowledge. He's not that good"

But seriously tho, after trying to get the up air combo for a few hours most people will just quit and the hype will die down. Meta knight will return to the secret weapon he truly is :dazwa:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Give it 3 days(or less) and they'll stop since Lag + MK = Unplayable.

Also skill floor being high despite how cute he looks. This happened in the era of ito, so many people picked up MK like Angel but where they at now?

Shout out to @ ぱみゅ ぱみゅ for telling us about Leo in May.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
By the time I talked about Leo, it all was folktales and legends, as in, we all know he was good but we didn't have a comparing point.
For this one I was there, and that MK looks sicker in person. Seriously, half of those combos looked like SL wouldn't even reach.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe

Just an on paper theorycraft opinion. Not entirely supported with tons of facts, but I do not claim to be an expert on :4metaknight:'s matchups. Since I'm here, who does :4metaknight: have problems against?

:018:

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
Just an on paper theorycraft opinion. Not entirely supported with tons of facts, but I do not claim to be an expert on :4metaknight:'s matchups. Since I'm here, who does :4metaknight: have problems against?

His neutral's actually not very good, so ironically in theory he should have trouble with Sheik lol. MK's insanely good at converting combos and strings off hits; he just doesn't have that many good options in the neutral game. Outside of his 3 or 4 really strong kill moves too, he has a hard time killing. But Bair/Fsmash/Upb are all super strong, and down B is strong but hard to hit with.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace

[LINK]

A lot of people view ZSS as MK's worst matchup, with characters such as Sonic, Shiek, Captain Falcon, Fox, and ROB being very bad matchups for Meta Knight. The Sonic, Fox, and ROB matchups are a lot worse for Meta Knight in the customs meta, plus Shiek's customs needles are absolutely obnoxious on Castle Siege's second area because they can go through the statues. Meta Knight's neutral game is pretty weak, but has an amazing punish game with terrifying combos that make him very viable.

Edit-

People underrate how well Shiek fares against Meta Knight. If she needle camps hard (especially with custom needles), she definitely has an advantage in that matchups. But a lot of Shiek players play too aggressively in the matchup.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Only truly bad MU is ZSS everything else is slight disadvantages, other character boards are saying they beat mk because of nneutral which is hella dumb since in actual games everything mk related is different than the bs write ups on his neutral. Probably made alot errors on my phone atm

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
^Sheik match up sucks man. Sheik mans just suck because their not abusing needles enough.
MK does not struggle at killing. That's one of his strong points.
Our kill set ups are ridiculous. "solid mid tier"

Last edited:
Top Bottom