• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

FlipFlopMist

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone, I'm someone who can't find a main and is just playing so many different characters, when I start to lose with my Luigi/DK/MK/Kirby/Paulootena/Charizard/Jiggly/G&W/Pac-Man, I find myself going Little Mac or Olimar to win, but I've always loved MK and want to get good with him... Why?
The videos of Katakiri playing MK.
Those are so amazing.

Plus, I adore doing a Side Taunt as the fight begins-most of the time he manages to finish saying "fight me" before I get hit...

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I can see why the MU for Pikachu is mostly even the guy only lost because he was caught off guard by the weak hit U-smash into Thunder.

I disagree with what the commentators say about Nado, if its used on the ground then its punishable but using it slightly above the air makes it safer but its hard to do that against Pikachu because he's so short. If your good enough like the guy in the vid you can weave behind your opponent confusing them in the process potentially missing the punish.

For real this match proves MK can take on the top(besides Sonic and for me Luigi need help against him). MK is frequently ignored and slapped onto mid tier, the same tier with characters that are helpless against over 3 or 4 high tiers cough Marth cough cough Bowser Jr cough.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
One interesting thing to note is that Nado in Smash 4 has a timing property that's exactly like in Brawl:
When finished in the air, it will have 30 frames of landing lag, accounting both his fall and landing (if the fall lasts more than 30 frames it will have a MAJOR landing lag though). It means that its timing is exactly like it was before.

It is not as safe as before because
a) It doesn't have as much range as before
b) It doesn't move sideways as fast (apparently? I haven't tested too much)
c) Shieldstun is lower than in Brawl (but has a bit more of Shieldlag. Weird.)

But overall, is not THAT much different than in Brawl.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I'd sign on Sheik. I have a few great Sheik in my region but I don't think any have taken a game off me in Wii U. I've only played Akiro in a crew battle but he didn't take a stock off me with his 2 stocks. Ohio > Chicago
Thinking about it, without Boss there to take me down, I might have to drive the Halberd up to Chicago and get some of that money.:4metaknight:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
You know, I don't want to sound self-righteous or anything but it always kinda bothered me that in my region where I grew up nobody knew anything about Meta Knight outside of Smash. When it was shown how OP he was, people bandwagoned on him and he became known as the most broken character in Brawl; but very few people around me didn't even know that he hailed from Kirby when I asked them about him, it doesn't help that at the time we were on our late teens and the Kirby games had the stigma of being "too kiddy", "childish" or "gay" (yeah, people can be so infantile and insecure) so nobody except me played them. They didn't like him for who he was as video game character in a well-known Nintendo series. I just kinda...bothered me.
Since I love the character, I became stoked and was determined to main him but since his OP status was established it didn't feel right to me to use him. Thankfully, I can use him nowadays without feeling guilty.

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
question 1 how do feel about MK mu against the top? and how did you manage to hit 22% of Mach Tornado? is there a trick to mashing???
Button mash B harder. I guess if button mashing is hard for you, just bind a button you don't use to B so you can double button mash.

busken

Smash Ace
Big Shoutout to @ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 for his Sonic Contribution! As well as everybody else who contributed! I'm happy to see the thread is active! I made a little matchup summary in the OP trying to be as informative and succinct as possible, please tell me if you have any other opinions or contributions to improve it! If the Sonic matchup every changes since the meta is still pretty young we can dedicate another week for the matchup, but for now Week 1 is officially over! Thanks to everybody's contributions!!!

Slither2Hunter

Smash Cadet
Nerfknite vs the top characters isn't all too bad except Diddy. That is just so bleh. i like to tell everyone he has 0 good matchups. I'm the only Socal Nerfknite & I place pretty well. Nerfknights nado does 23% fresh. I was supposed to go tooo apex but no one wanted to help me out. :c

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Man... not a single MK at Apex. ;-;

maybe next year.
I was originally going to APEX but I decided against it mainly for money reasons. My MK really evolved since I cancelled (early January) so I really regret not going as I think I could have made money there, especially now that I have a Mega Man on back-up for Sonic.

I am going to EVO tho and I plan on going down to Xanadu sometime to get that rematch with Boss now that I know how to gimp his Luigi. Gimping & MU-knowledge has been the 2 things I've been working on the most recently so I'll be using the next two tourneys to see how it pays off.

Anyway, I'm gonna be playing online for probably a couple hours. If anyone wants to 1v1 me, add me and let me know.

Last edited:

Luigisama

Smash Champion
So Vex and thunderstorm made it into R2 doubles pools 1st seed at apex because they did a mk and luigi team. Metaknight does nado and then luigi follows up with rising cyclone to get the kill. thoughts on this?

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
So Vex and thunderstorm made it into R2 doubles pools 1st seed at apex because they did a mk and luigi team. Metaknight does nado and then luigi follows up with rising cyclone to get the kill. thoughts on this?
MK best teammates are Luigi and ZSS because of their high jumps and follow ups killing up top. Can you post the link to those matches?

Luigisama

Smash Champion
MK best teammates are Luigi and ZSS because of their high jumps and follow ups killing up top. Can you post the link to those matches?
I wish. The matches we off stream, but if it worked that well I am sure they continue the team and play a match on stream.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Did anyone get their Meta Knight amiibo yet?
HAHAHA Ahh yes. (Should be a taunt)

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I think we should start inviting other character board members to our MU thread. We barely get any contribution to the MU discussion and it'll be interesting to read other people's views on how MK performs against said character. Thoughts?

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
I think we should start inviting other character board members to our MU thread. We barely get any contribution to the MU discussion and it'll be interesting to read other people's views on how MK performs against said character. Thoughts?
Yes, very good idea indeed. The Rosa boards always post on the board of whichever character's MU they're reviewing. Would be very insightful to hear what they find easy and hard about fighting Metaknight and whatnot. Otherwise, once we start reaching DHD and stuff, we're gonna be completely empty handed lol.

D

Deleted member

Has anyone tested for any Meta Knight changes after the new update yet?

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Everything seems the same except a few glitches from other characters.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Since customs are coming soon i'll list MK best customs.

- Shieldbreaker Drill

Finished. MK specials are already good in his default moveset, they all link into other moves: DC and SL are the finishers to kill set ups, MT is also a combo finisher. By breaking shields we get a free full f-smash, just walk into your opponent to nudge them closer to the ledge then finish them!

Last edited:

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
@ busken busken We need a less restrictive way of discussing MUs. Instead of having one central MU thread, I think we should follow the footsteps of the Falco boards and have weekly single-character threads with one stickied directory. (I also think we should borrow Ffamran's idea of having side-by-side frame data in the OP of each thread.) This would allow us to keep the weekly format we've been using (new thread every week) but would allow late-entrants and newcomers to voice their opinions or ask questions about specific MUs without interrupting the current discussion. The directory can also be a place to ask questions about MUs we haven't covered yet or to make character requests for the next week's discussion. We're a relatively small and quiet board now that the "OMG MK's so bad" reactions have stopped so I don't mind having a bit of clutter with the number of threads as long as it's productive.

If you'd like, I can take over the MU project since it would be asking a lot from you with the threads, frame data, inviting the other character boards, and creating a MU summary at the end. But if not, I can just set up the directory thread and put my graphic design skill to use to pretty-up the thing. But either way, it's important that we keep the ball rolling and keep things as open as we can both for newcomers and changes in the metagame that could affect MUs.

busken

Smash Ace
@ busken busken We need a less restrictive way of discussing MUs. Instead of having one central MU thread, I think we should follow the footsteps of the Falco boards and have weekly single-character threads with one stickied directory. (I also think we should borrow Ffamran's idea of having side-by-side frame data in the OP of each thread.) This would allow us to keep the weekly format we've been using (new thread every week) but would allow late-entrants and newcomers to voice their opinions or ask questions about specific MUs without interrupting the current discussion. The directory can also be a place to ask questions about MUs we haven't covered yet or to make character requests for the next week's discussion. We're a relatively small and quiet board now that the "OMG MK's so bad" reactions have stopped so I don't mind having a bit of clutter with the number of threads as long as it's productive.

If you'd like, I can take over the MU project since it would be asking a lot from you with the threads, frame data, inviting the other character boards, and creating a MU summary at the end. But if not, I can just set up the directory thread and put my graphic design skill to use to pretty-up the thing. But either way, it's important that we keep the ball rolling and keep things as open as we can both for newcomers and changes in the metagame that could affect MUs.
You're the man :)

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
That's an amazing idea. I myself am not exactly playing against high level players at the moment (For Glory wifi hero at), so what little I can contribute to MU discussion is usually concerning very random characters and attacks.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Since customs are coming soon i'll list MK best customs.

- Shieldbreaker Drill

Finished. MK specials are already good in his default moveset, they all link into other moves: DC and SL are the finishers to kill set ups, MT is also a combo finisher. By breaking shields we get a free full f-smash, just walk into your opponent to nudge them closer to the ledge then finish them!
Yep, literally his only custom I like.

Sadly, even then the opponent can just drop shield before the shieldbreak, so you likely aren't ever getting optimal reward from it unless your opponent simply doesn't know that's an option for them. It's also a lot slower than the default so it's less useful for recovery/more reactable from a distance...though despite the ingame description, it actually does the same total damage as the default drill.

I think 1111 is still going to be MK's best set in the long run.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I've tried the Sheildbreaker Drill back before the patch, and it didn't really help. I managed to break a shield once, but normally the opponent has time to react and just drop shield.
I can't find a good use for the high-speed drill, either. It's not that fast despite the name.

D

Deleted member

Do we have a Meta Knight Skype group yet? If not, is anyone opposed to having one?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Yep, literally his only custom I like.

Sadly, even then the opponent can just drop shield before the shieldbreak, so you likely aren't ever getting optimal reward from it unless your opponent simply doesn't know that's an option for them. It's also a lot slower than the default so it's less useful for recovery/more reactable from a distance...though despite the ingame description, it actually does the same total damage as the default drill.

I think 1111 is still going to be MK's best set in the long run.

well....that sucks.

Do we have a Meta Knight Skype group yet? If not, is anyone opposed to having one?
I think skype groups are good for character boards with loads of mains. This is generally a quiet board not dead like DHD boards nor is it active 24 7 like the Zelda boards.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
1211 or 1311 are kinda viable as well, Drill Rush is not a very common move, and having those pocket moves is not a bad idea

Ephenilliac

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ephenilliac
3DS FC
5455-9900-2775
Is there a setup for getting a bair with Metaknight? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out when to use it, unless I'm just bad and don't know what situation to use it in...

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
you can get early kills off of a ledge trump with bair, other than that i usually dont land the move because edge guarding with drop down nair is easier in most situations and upb is a better overall punish if you know itll land, but i mean if you're in a position for it to work then go for it.

in other news i was practicing some mk for hours in offline friendlies last night, and when i went to tourney today i was using him early on but as soon as the bracket shifted to good people that i could lose to i felt i just couldnt risk it with him and went straight to diddy instead which kind of defeats the point lol...i mean if i end up losing and im not playing as my main im gonna look like a cocky douche and it might end up costing me actual money, so im kind of at an impasse of where to actually get some use from him. i havent actually played against any high level players with him recently so it might end up going kind of bad, and i cant really afford to give up games when its possible for me to drop games from random gimps. ill make more of an effort to get in friendlies with the good players beforehand so i can get a better idea of how useful itll be to still play him and it might end up being ultimately pointless, but i still want to make an effort for him for now.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Bair is like a replacement to the pokes we lost on the Brawl>4 transition. Except much worse.
I use Bair mostly to pressure opponments on platforms.

And there is nothing wrong with not taking risks at tournaments. It's your money afterall.
Maybe we just need more confidence in our characters.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Dtilt near the ledge forces them into a free fall animation, dtilt ends quickly so you'll be able to react with a quick dash off stage into a bair. I've done this numerous times mainly at mid percents since they slide further, if they trip they'll auto ledge snap so you can potentially ledge trump into bair(haven't done this yet because i suck at ledge trumping quickly).

So yes Bair can be setup and its honestly viable due to how easy it is to execute.

https://vine.co/v/Ot3TqVTiaAO

Triburos said:
Hey folks.

I've been messing around with Meta Knight recently, and came across a few tricks I figured I'd do a Show and Tell with.

Forgive the video quality, as I'm still stuck with the 3DS version.

Meta Knight's 'Free Fall' Setup Near Edges.

At certain percents, Meta Knight's dtilt has a chance to trip, or just cause the opponent to slide a certain distance. While the trip is awesome for grab set-ups, we're looking for a non-trip here.

If you hit a dtilt close to the edge and it doesn't cause trip, the opponent should end up sliding off the edge and going into what I call Free Fall.

Free Fall was used for true combos in one of My Smash Corner's videos. To those unaware, Free Fall is almost the same as a footstool fall; the opponent cannot do anything during the fall for a certain period.

Because MK's d-tilt has such little endlag, he can actually do an inescapable set up with this if he's fast enough to fast fall off the edge and follow them. The later the opponent enters the Free Fall,

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Dtilt near the ledge forces them into a free fall animation, dtilt ends quickly so you'll be able to react with a quick dash off stage into a bair. I've done this numerous times mainly at mid percents since they slide further, if they trip they'll auto ledge snap so you can potentially ledge trump into bair(haven't done this yet because i suck at ledge trumping quickly).

So yes Bair can be setup and its honestly viable due to how easy it is to execute.

https://vine.co/v/Ot3TqVTiaAO
That stage spike is pretty easy to tech since Bair isn't immediate. I'll probably go for Dair or Nair instead.

Top Bottom