• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mewtwo MU Thread (That Kinda Rhymes!)

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
How to fight Zero Suit Samus?

I don't have a problem with KOing or comboing, but in neutral, the ZSS I play often likes to dash, jump (momentum carried over) shoot a lazer, then shoot another when he lands. Its like lagless and if I shield, he'll grab. If I roll in any direction, he'll DD and bait it out. Spotdodge doesn't last long enough to outlast both lasers, and Teleport just resets to neutral, where he can do it again. And if he starts reading it, its bad news. I can't seem to clash it with nair either, and this is not even the fully charged Paralyzer. Its the uncharged shots that give me the problems. Is it possible to clash the uncharged Paralyzer shots? IF so, with what moves?

Kaosxxxx

Smash Apprentice
Nair won't clang with metaknights anything. Lol but the shadow ball will beat out anything. Powered up ball

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
nothing clanks with mk. only his dash attack since thats what mks sword is. transcendent priority basically means nothing clanks so anything with a hurtbox will lose a trade

mus i might need help with if it comes down to it. kirby, sheik and lucas. sheik may be my most feared mu atm. ive asked this before but im kinda looking for something specific that sheiks do and beat that. kinda like how i learned to beat squirtle by shielding side b and grabbing it after it hits the back of my shield. something like that would be best for all these mus

Last edited:

ChKn

Smash Ace
I'm having trouble dealing with getting approaching against Samus. Every time I try to get in, I get missiled/grabbed in the process.

Kaosxxxx

Smash Apprentice
Basically I think all mewtwos should master power shielding. It'll help all apporaches and even sets up for your own combos off their projectile. I.e Mario's fireballs, falco lazers, zzs stun gun, snakes sleep dart, even flamethrower flames.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
How should I fight Falco?

I know how to combo him no problem. The problem is getting that combo starter in. Lasers aren't too much of a problem for me (powershield is easy) but once Falco gets in close then its a real headache. Tons of shine pressure, pillar combos, etc and is it possible to tech his spike? It feels impossible. How should I DI his Shine and Down air (to minimize his damage output in a single combo), and how can I grab him when he's waveshining me/pressuring my shield. Whats the best OoS option when he's applying shield pressure?

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
Hi, so it seems quite a few of the threads haven't been posted on in months so I hope this is the correct place to ask my question. I'm a Samus main looking for a secondary who can go relatively even with or beat fox, falco, and captain falcon because they beat Samus pretty heavily IMO. Is Mewtwo the character I'm looking for?

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Hi, so it seems quite a few of the threads haven't been posted on in months so I hope this is the correct place to ask my question. I'm a Samus main looking for a secondary who can go relatively even with or beat fox, falco, and captain falcon because they beat Samus pretty heavily IMO. Is Mewtwo the character I'm looking for?
Mewtwo is a great character for those 3 MUs. IMO he ****s on all FFers pretty badly

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
Good, I really wanted an excuse to use Mewtwo. Are there matchups that I need to be afraid of as Mewtwo?

Kaosxxxx

Smash Apprentice
It's a 5050 against fox. Fox has tools to **** you just as you have tools to **** him. Upair and upsmash are lame. Always di the up throw or eat an upair or 3 depending on percentage. Don't take any spaceys lightly. Also teleport becomes predictable when you use it often and upsmash will beat out any of your approaches.

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
It's a 5050 against fox. Fox has tools to **** you just as you have tools to **** him. Upair and upsmash are lame. Always di the up throw or eat an upair or 3 depending on percentage. Don't take any spaceys lightly. Also teleport becomes predictable when you use it often and upsmash will beat out any of your approaches.
Thanks for the elaboration, time to go practice Mewtwo :D

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
degree of fear, what makes you think Fox and Falco beat Samus "pretty heavily"?
I feel they (fox, falco, and falcon) have the speed/mobility to close space and almost ignore most of Samus's spacing attempts. And I'm bad, but that's besides the point.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
What's the Roy/M2 matchup like?
Annoying. You want to space him out and poke him, get your combos in when necessary and gimp with bair. However Roy is extremely powerful. Fsmash KOs Mewtwo as early as 50 on Yoshi's Story. You really can't CC him, as his main starter dtilt pops you upwards with fairly good power. His ftilt has INSANE range (even more than our fsmash) and it can KO at times. Bair is wrecking. If Mewtwo plays a strong spacing game he should win. But Roy can make it very hard with his power and speed.

You can gimp him really easy though. Bair.

Last edited:

Scaremonger

Smash Apprentice
I feel they (fox, falco, and falcon) have the speed/mobility to close space and almost ignore most of Samus's spacing attempts. And I'm bad, but that's besides the point.
In melee, Samus is traditionally regarded as one of the few characters that goes even with Fox and Falco, though people will argue forever about whether she truly goes even with Fox. It's a highly contested idea. Neither character has changed significantly in a way that I imagine would change the matchup, so it's probably still the same.

Falcon definitely wrecks Samus, though, lol.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Going to my first offline tournament, Zenith 2014 for PM singles. Now there are matchups that I have ZERO experience in

-Lucas
-Lucario
-MK (I'm unsure whether I should ditto whatever MK's I meet in bracket, but my MK is still fairly new)
-Diddy Kong
-Link

How should I approach each MU? Much appreciated!

ChKn

Smash Ace
I'm having a bit of trouble with dealing with Ivy's coverage when she's vertically above me. Should I opt to go on platform stages when I counterpick Ivy? Also, which way do I DI to avoid getting Up-B'd after getting thrown?

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I'm having a bit of trouble with dealing with Ivy's coverage when she's vertically above me. Should I opt to go on platform stages when I counterpick Ivy? Also, which way do I DI to avoid getting Up-B'd after getting thrown?
Platform stages are a godsend for Mewtwo if you know how to autocancel Teleport consistently. Especially BF/Dracula's Castle/Skyworld. So many options.

However if you can't autocancel consistently (some of the angles for cancelling are very difficult), avoid it. It'll only slow your Mewtwo down, instead of make it as fast as Fox.

Scaremonger

Smash Apprentice
Samus/Fox is pretty even in Melee, and Samus is a LOT better in PM.
This is true. I think the MUs are still even, though, since Fire beam is better for fastfallers. Ice fair is a good finisher, but I dunno if you could really combo into it from fire mode even with taunt cancelling. None of the other changes made to Samus are really that effective on the matchup, I'd say.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
This is true. I think the MUs are still even, though, since Fire beam is better for fastfallers. Ice fair is a good finisher, but I dunno if you could really combo into it from fire mode even with taunt cancelling. None of the other changes made to Samus are really that effective on the matchup, I'd say.
+ Her ftilt is enormous now, it's basically Roy's
+ Fire usmash combos AND kills way more betterer
+ zairzairzairzair
+ I think dsmash is bigger too?
+ I think she has a cg on fawkes?

I mean, you could be right, but goddamn, that ftilt

Scaremonger

Smash Apprentice
+ Her ftilt is enormous now, it's basically Roy's
+ Fire usmash combos AND kills way more betterer
+ zairzairzairzair
+ I think dsmash is bigger too?
+ I think she has a cg on fawkes?

I mean, you could be right, but goddamn, that ftilt
...Do you honestly think a slightly larger ftilt is going to be a gamechanger? Same with dsmash. Has fox ever had problems against characters with range?

Yes, she does have a chaingrab on Fox, but Fox shouldn't be getting grabbed that much by Samus, and it doesn't even work until over 100%, lol. Fox shouldn't really be living very long after 100, so the cg isn't a big deal. Like 90% sure she had it in melee too, anyway.

Not sure what zair has to do with anything, but okay lol.

MU is still even.

| Big D |

Smash Master
Does anyone know if there's a way to escape throw > knee from Captain Falcon? Mostly concerned about kill percents like 70-80.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Does anyone know if there's a way to escape throw > knee from Captain Falcon? Mostly concerned about kill percents like 70-80.
DI down and away I believe, but at higher percents like 100 and above down throw to Knee is practically guaranteed.

ChKn

Smash Ace
I absolutely have no clue how to deal with the D3 or Diddy MUs. I ran into a D3 in bracket and had no clue what I was doing lol.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I have some new thoughts concerning the Link matchup.

After playing Nick Riddle 349807687 times (I play him at two weeklies almost every week), I'm convinced Link is a 45:55 disadvantage. It's very doable, but Link outcamps us with retreating boomerangs and bombs. Our punishes against each other are equally strong, but Link has an easier time getting punishes than we do on because boomerang beats our typical anti-projectile approaches (shadow ball can beat it, but bombs beat shadow ball, and Link always wants to have bombs out), and angled boomerangs cover enough space and easily disrupt us even if we get a hit on him. None of our closeup attacks on shield are safe because he'll just grab you, so your most reliable option is side b or regular grab, and if he spot dodges our side B then that's enough time for him to punish. You have to teleport very carefully and look out for power shielding his projectiles. We win if we get a grab and combo the **** out of him, and we can get gimp him if we read his initial recovery mixups correctly, but Link can kind of gimp us with an arrow if we get knocked far enough and use our teleport at around mid stage height before we actually reach it.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I have some new thoughts concerning the Link matchup.

After playing Nick Riddle 349807687 times (I play him at two weeklies almost every week), I'm convinced Link is a 45:55 disadvantage. It's very doable, but Link outcamps us with retreating boomerangs and bombs. Our punishes against each other are equally strong, but Link has an easier time getting punishes than we do on because boomerang is that good, and angled boomerangs cover enough space and easily disrupt us even if we get a hit on him. None of our closeup attacks on shield are safe because he'll just grab you, so your most reliable option is side b or regular grab, and if he spot dodges our side B then that's enough time for him to punish. You have to teleport very carefully and look out for power shielding his projectiles.
The MU gets easier with larger stages in my experience. His boomerang and arrows have limited range (unless the latter is charged) and Mewtwo benefits from space, particularly platform space. Whats a larger stage that Mewtwo benefits largely from? Draculas! Banned? Skyworld! Banned too? Depends if the TO reserved this stage for doubles, but Skyloft!

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
I feel that Mewtwo's ability to counter Link depends partly on skill in item play. AGTing bombs back at Link can be pretty scary for the Link player, especially since Mewtwo can immediately close that distance and follow up on a hit confirm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom