• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mewtwo MU Thread (That Kinda Rhymes!)

didds

Smash Lord
with a knife
a sharp knife
use family as leverage
do you plan on escaping the law?

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
with a knife
a sharp knife
use family as leverage
do you plan on escaping the law?
Nah. The law isn't what I have to worry about. It's Mewtwo himself.

And the only relative he has can hardly ever be found.

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
You don't.

Sorry.
I knew it! I knew it! I knew it must be a bad MU for Ganon!!!

But seriously? You got nothing? Nothing at all?

Wow, that sounded very non-Ganon. I'll figure something out. I'm guessing that Mewtwo's favorite thing to do to Ganon is throw him off stage and watch him try to come back through a hail of shadow balls, right?

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
Pick small stages. Mewtwo has an easier time with both recovering and gimping. Learn how to powershield so that you can reflect the shadowballs if your opponent randomly likes to throw them out. Does fair outrange our options like dtilt? I'd assume doing the normal ganon "bait and punish stuff" could work decently, but the MU does seem in M2's favour. Crouch cancels should help against the low % dtilt combos.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Hey, say I'm playing Ganondorf and I'm fighting a Mewtwo... How do I murder the Mewtwo?
This is a bad matchup for you. For one, Shadow Ball Spam really gives you tons of chip damage. Second, the moments you get into the air, Mewtwo has control. Your best attempt is to land some blows after a laggier attack is preformed, like down smash. That's just IMO though...

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman
opinions on mewtwo vs lucario? I feel mewtwo has the advantage, but I'm not great at the game.

Master Raven

Smash Master
We have a pretty decent Lucario player down here that I sometimes play, and in my experience crouch cancelling is very good vs him since he has to get up in your face to do anything, so if you react properly from CCing you can grab him or hit him back with your dtilt (and maybe other moves but I haven't tested yet). You outrange him in the closeup game so capitalize on that. Your projectile game is better than his unless he manages to grab you and toss you into his charged aura sphere which shouldn't happen most of the time since you can escape out of his range with a teleport (and remember it is deflectable with side B). Luc is easy to combo so capitalize on converting every hit into a combo whenever you possibly can. Watch out when he has a full aura charge when he's offstage because he can get a little extra distance with an air dodge. Try avoiding playing stages with big ledge walls because of his walljump.

I wish I could be more specific about this MU but this is all I got. I have to play it more.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Few things I noticed about fighting Marios.

1. When edgeguarding him, bair isn't that great of an option imo, because Cape. Instead use up air or nair. They both have hitboxes on both sides. Also, a sweetspotted up air is pretty powerful and can reliably edgeguard opponents.

For getting through Fire Balls, weave back and forth with Hover doing nairs, until an opening is made. Then you can waveland from a landing hover into whatever (grab is optimal, as you can dthrow/uthrow him and start juggling him offstage, where you can then follow step one).

Back air can be used for stage spiking attempts. As a Marth player as well, one of my favorite ways to counter Super Jump Punch recoveries was by run off bair. Not sure if Mewtwo's bair outprioritizes Super Jump Punch however.

xXSciophobiaXx

Smash Apprentice
For getting through Fire Balls, weave back and forth with Hover doing nairs, until an opening is made. Then you can waveland from a landing hover into whatever (grab is optimal, as you can dthrow/uthrow him and start juggling him offstage, where you can then follow step one).
In regards to the fireball part of the post: Would you not waaaay rather wait until he is throwing a fireball out, jump-->teleport behind him and A) turnaround Fair L-cancel, or B) Bair L-cancel? That will completely ruin his fireball into downsmash spacing setups… until he changes his play style to not be fireball campy. Then you can engage him on your own terms. I understand Nair-hovering or hovering in general is good until there is an opening, but waveland grab seems difficult, lengthy and unsafe compared to teleport (behind mario)--> aerial.

I read through quickly, but was there a page talking about metaknight? Im having trouble with the ridiculous amount of pressure he can apply. I was thinking about keeping space, using shadow balls. When the opportunity arises, bait lengthier moves and use jump-teleport-aerial to punish? Also, you can juggle meta with U-tilts when there are platforms pretty well right?

Any other advice for murdering the caped fiend?

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
ive been having trouble vs sheik recently. seibrik knocked me into losers at sktar. even though the matches were close i feel that if i knew anything about the mu i could have won it. anyone have any tips?

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
MK loses once Mewtwo gets a hit in. Also MK is crouch cancel bait. And MK will not be killing Mewtwo till 140, while Mewtwo ends him at 100-120

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
it seems what you're saying might apply to sheik as well. sheik always has a follow up from d throw and has a nice mix up with b throw. i wasnt able to find a way around the needles either. i find that she can sneak into all of mewtwos defenses for some reason. i dont wanna rely on cc since theres counterplay for that

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
How can I fight Bowser? His super armor prevents me from comboing him (I know I can grab through armor, but you can;t grab in the air and I try doing aerial Confusion for the command grab, but most often I miss, and when I do land it it doesn't do much), his huge hitboxes always hit me, he can avoid my float combos, he lives forever, while KOing me at 100-110, and his CCing destroys my Shadow Ball camping tactics/tilt spacing

Beetredknob

Smash Rookie
How can I fight Bowser? His super armor prevents me from comboing him (I know I can grab through armor, but you can;t grab in the air and I try doing aerial Confusion for the command grab, but most often I miss, and when I do land it it doesn't do much), his huge hitboxes always hit me, he can avoid my float combos, he lives forever, while KOing me at 100-110, and his CCing destroys my Shadow Ball camping tactics/tilt spacing
try using float to side B or double jump cancelling into side B, this will speed up the rate at which you can grab bowser in the air. Bowser has a huge character model and I find him to be the easiest to command grab in the game. The spacing is difficult but if you can teleport to side b or double jump cancel while he's in the air then you could either follow up with a fair, an F smash, a uair, u smash, u tilt, the list goes on. And if he tries attacking you on the ground remember your grabs teleports and shadow balls.

Also, if you're having trouble killing him maybe go for a gimp, bowser doesn't like the down air.

Last edited:

Master Raven

Smash Master
side B ****s bowser

He's huge so he's really easy to combo. I like doing side B into fair chains. Just be wary of super armor and stupid hitboxes. listen to what _Odds said and play campy in this matchup. bowser is free for M2.

Last edited:

Master Raven

Smash Master
Mewtwo wins because he outranges, outcamps, outgimps and outcombos Falcon... he just outclasses him in many areas except for fall speed (and maybe weight, idk)

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
How to fight Pikachu? My Mewtwo got 3-0'd by Paradoxium's Pikachu. Had to go Marth and even then he won 2-1. Pikachu has some crazy KO power and he's able to cross up the shield so well. Can't even shield grab the thing. Quick Attack Cancels into SHFFL nair/other aerial. And whenever Paradoxium approaches with fair, I can't shield grab because he's crossing up my shield.

My Mewtwo focuses on
-hard reads (I'm Darth Bane, gotta use da Force to predict ya fool lol)
-tilt spacing (also use fsmash
-Confusion abuse shenanigans
-Wooping for followups to aerials that knock back too high for double jump
-grab punishes
-general defensive play

Should I play aggressive in the MU?
-

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Can someone please tell me how to play against M2 as Mario and Fox? My two mains. I've never fought a good Mewtwo and when I did I had no clue what to do at all. His range, combos, and teleport were really getting in my head.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Can someone please tell me how to play against M2 as Mario and Fox? My two mains. I've never fought a good Mewtwo and when I did I had no clue what to do at all. His range, combos, and teleport were really getting in my head.
For Mario you have to constantly camp with fireballs and punish any mistake M2 makes as hard as you can. When he has a shadow ball charged play more careful and be ready to cape it at any moment. Take him to small platform stages and any stage with a wall. Idk about Fox. It's an uphill battle for both characters.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
How to fight Pikachu? My Mewtwo got 3-0'd by Paradoxium's Pikachu. Had to go Marth and even then he won 2-1. Pikachu has some crazy KO power and he's able to cross up the shield so well. Can't even shield grab the thing. Quick Attack Cancels into SHFFL nair/other aerial. And whenever Paradoxium approaches with fair, I can't shield grab because he's crossing up my shield.

My Mewtwo focuses on
-hard reads (I'm Darth Bane, gotta use da Force to predict ya fool lol)
-tilt spacing (also use fsmash
-Confusion abuse shenanigans
-Wooping for followups to aerials that knock back too high for double jump
-grab punishes
-general defensive play

Should I play aggressive in the MU?
-
U gotta use da woop woop moar

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
U gotta use da woop woop moar
Its funny how you're the one to respond, and none of the Mewtwo mains are actually responding. So I gotta be like Emukiller moar? Ok. Though aggression and flexin isn't my style, if I wanna be a successful smasher, I gotta be able to change playstyles in a single frame.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
How to fight Sonic and Squirtle?

Seems like even though in theory crouch cancelling beats these characters hard, in practice thats not the case. Both characters are highly mobile, and able to act out of their side B, allowing them to throw out aerials which aren't crouch cancelleable. Sonic especially. Bith characters you can't shield grabs/aerial OoS without meeting hitboxes. Squirtle is near impossible to grab and has armor on many attacks, while Sonic is really hard to catch, even when using Teleport to warp around the stage.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Re: Sonic, hopefully I'll get to play Wizzrobe next weekend at CEO (him and I live in the same state but because it's FL he's like 3 hours away from me so I don't much practice rofl).

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
when fighting squirtle if you make his side b hit the back of your shield you can grab him out of it. just try not to get tech chased by bubble. aside from that just juggle squirtle as much as possible.

as for sonic i practice with darky a bit on wifi. try not to approach him. just u tilt when sonic tries to approach and juggle. when he up b's out of your juggles just let him try to land and repeat. dont spam shadow balls much since he can get around them. if he uses homing attack you can react with a u smash or cc it and u tilt combo him. if hes below the stage recovering start charging d smash to cover the ledge. whether he tries to sweetspot or over shoot it he'll still get hit by it. if he starts u air juggling di away and start spamming fair. if he keeps going for it you should live and he might get hit by a fair as a plus. if im missing anything remind me. basically di all of sonics combos away iirc. sonic can give mewtwo a little trouble imo

also its really useful in both mus to hover cancel nair into u smash. if they sdi it then try for hover cancel nair into u tilts or if theyre in position for it then d tilt into u tilt.

EDIT: also if you can bait sonics dair just out space that and d tilt into u tilt into juggle :p or shield grab it. or nair oos. that also works in the mu a bit

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
when fighting squirtle if you make his side b hit the back of your shield you can grab him out of it. just try not to get tech chased by bubble. aside from that just juggle squirtle as much as possible.

as for sonic i practice with darky a bit on wifi. try not to approach him. just u tilt when sonic tries to approach and juggle. when he up b's out of your juggles just let him try to land and repeat. dont spam shadow balls much since he can get around them. if he uses homing attack you can react with a u smash or cc it and u tilt combo him. if hes below the stage recovering start charging d smash to cover the ledge. whether he tries to sweetspot or over shoot it he'll still get hit by it. if he starts u air juggling di away and start spamming fair. if he keeps going for it you should live and he might get hit by a fair as a plus. if im missing anything remind me. basically di all of sonics combos away iirc. sonic can give mewtwo a little trouble imo

also its really useful in both mus to hover cancel nair into u smash. if they sdi it then try for hover cancel nair into u tilts or if theyre in position for it then d tilt into u tilt.
Thanks Joey! Will definitely keep all kf this in mind next time I play Sonics and Squirtles.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
Thanks Joey! Will definitely keep all kf this in mind next time I play Sonics and Squirtles.
no problem. i thought squirtle was impossible for mewtwo. then i found these things. especially the side b thing. it'll take some practice but once you start to get familiar with the mu it should be fine

Kaosxxxx

Smash Apprentice
If your having trouble with lucario watch my math on the other thread. Emu killer and other players. I'm kaos. We have a damn good lucario who is actually 100$ money matching amsa.

Kaosxxxx

Smash Apprentice
Also note that the first stock I was really upset that disco bunny just walked off the setup. I kinda let him have the first stock.

Kaosxxxx

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible that hover cancelled upair could potentially shut down metaknights nair approach? And cover with downtilt after the cancel? I so than this is ore big advantage over that sword demon. Probably my more hated matchups. Playing k9 and tyrant often.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Is it possible that hover cancelled upair could potentially shut down metaknights nair approach? And cover with downtilt after the cancel? I so than this is ore big advantage over that sword demon. Probably my more hated matchups. Playing k9 and tyrant often.
Doesn't MKs move have transcendent priority? So wouldn't MK's nair still win?

Top Bottom