• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Grimtixx Grimtixx Actually, I think :4mario: would work out better if you're looking to cover as many MUs as possible. He can help you against the likes of :4metaknight: and :4pikachu:, for example. And yes, he fits what you're looking for rather nicely.

If you want to look over some general opinions as far as MUs go (although some are a little outdated, like Bayonetta), there's an interesting chart based on the combined opinions of professionals and others here.

Last edited:

Grimtixx

Smash Cadet
NNID
bgood4life
Grimtixx Grimtixx Actually, I think :4mario: would work out better if you're looking to cover as many MUs as possible. He can help you against the likes of :4metaknight: and :4pikachu:, for example. And yes, he fits what you're looking for rather nicely.

If you want to look over some general opinions as far as MUs go (although some are a little outdated, like Bayonetta), there's an interesting chart based on the combined opinions of professionals and others here.
I mean, I was technically looking for a dual main setup rather than a legitimate secondary, but I can sure check that MU chart out and I can also try :4mario:. I still kinda have my heart set on learning :4pikachu: however, so I will have to do some research.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Grimtixx Grimtixx My point still stands in either case (dual main or secondary), but if you find in the end that :4pikachu: gives you more enjoyment while meeting your expectations, you should go for it. Playing the characters who, on paper, would be more likely to get you farther won't be worth it if you only end up feeling dead inside as a result. LOL So yeah, just give them both a shot, study up, and see how things go for you. :)

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Hi people. So I use :4cloud: and I've been looking for another character to learn that has a lot of his good qualities (combos, mobility, juggles, good neutral) and I've been told by a very good player in my state that :4pikachu: fits this role well. Would Pika cover Cloud well and vice versa? And are there any other characters that fit this criteria? (The player I talked to also cited :4mario: and :4sheik: as potential candidates)
:4diddy: Is also a good character. All three that you were told are amazing. It sounds like :4pikachu: is where your heart is set so go with him.

Last edited:

re3

Smash Rookie
So I have :4diddy::4tlink::4pikachu::4feroy:. Is 4 unessessary? I'm kinda going for the counterpick part of the meta. Any matchups I don't cover? I just wanna know how these 4 do. Is 5 better? If so I'd add :4mario: to the mix. Or :4sonic:.
In this game, at most you need two characters to cover every matchup. People talk about the counterpick meta but most top placing players at nationals main at least two character, few three. If you really want to play the "counterpick meta" you wouldn't be picking characters like Toon Link or Roy and even arguably PIkachu. I'd like to know what matchups that they cover so well that Diddy Kong doesn't or any other top tier doesn't (which is the whole point of the counterpick meta to begin with). If you really want to do counterpick meta, you might as well drop any character that's not top 15.

Add Mario and Sonic to the mix but between Mario / Diddy Kong / Sonic / Pikachu already have a really good matchup spread and that's without having to main all four characters. Though if you really want to, those four will undoubtedly cover about every single top tier matchup.

I don't mean to sound rude but I don't think you're nearly as knowledgeable as ANTi or have the resources (being able to travel out of state, friends with top players of certain characters, tournaments, years of playing the game) to even pick up so many characters to begin with and expect to do well. On the other hand if you just want to play a bunch of characters but call it counterpick meta than you should honestly play whoever you want.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
In this game, at most you need two characters to cover every matchup. People talk about the counterpick meta but most top placing players at nationals main at least two character, few three. If you really want to play the "counterpick meta" you wouldn't be picking characters like Toon Link or Roy and even arguably PIkachu. I'd like to know what matchups that they cover so well that Diddy Kong doesn't or any other top tier doesn't (which is the whole point of the counterpick meta to begin with). If you really want to do counterpick meta, you might as well drop any character that's not top 15.

Add Mario and Sonic to the mix but between Mario / Diddy Kong / Sonic / Pikachu already have a really good matchup spread and that's without having to main all four characters. Though if you really want to, those four will undoubtedly cover about every single top tier matchup.

I don't mean to sound rude but I don't think you're nearly as knowledgeable as ANTi or have the resources (being able to travel out of state, friends with top players of certain characters, tournaments, years of playing the game) to even pick up so many characters to begin with and expect to do well. On the other hand if you just want to play a bunch of characters but call it counterpick meta than you should honestly play whoever you want.
I've decided to mainly go with :4feroy::4pikachu:. I'll have :4tlink: or :4marth: as a secondary to help if I need range or if there's a bad MU I need to cover

Last edited:

Emmington

Smash Cadet
Hey, I've recently started to play around with :4robinf:, and have decided to train her up as a main.
What I was wondering, are there any characters that cover Robin's weaknesses pretty well? I especially have problems with Corrin because I have a hard time recovering from being launched thanks to their Nair. Also, how viable would :4darkpit: be as a dual main for Robin?

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Hey, I've recently started to play around with :4robinf:, and have decided to train her up as a main.
What I was wondering, are there any characters that cover Robin's weaknesses pretty well? I especially have problems with Corrin because I have a hard time recovering from being launched thanks to their Nair. Also, how viable would :4darkpit: be as a dual main for Robin?
:4darkpit: is a good secondary. Other than him :4diddy::4cloud2::4marth::4villager: would be good.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Personally I use Fox, but any character that has a better disadvantage state and better mobility cover Robin's weaknesses well.

The short version of the Corrin match-up is respect the range and tippers, look to take his double jump, don't get grabbed past 150%, and watch out for counter when you're juggling him (and you're 75%+), and pray that they don't know how to follow-up off of his Neutral B. For specifics, go to the Robin or Corrin boards. (I recommend someone with better mobility than Corrin, it's easier to put pressure on him when you're quick)

Dark Pit is a decent choice imo. He doesn't have the projectile pressure Robin has but he can definitely exert pressure in his own way. If your fundamentals are on point then you can definitely put him to good use. Watch Earth for premier Pit play.

So I used my Wario and Bowser at a local and I ran into a problem: Corrin/Kamui. I tried to use my Bowser and failed then switched to my Wario and did a little better. I'm currently redoing my linup (again). I've considered picking up Lucina and/or Diddy to combat high tier spam. Or what would you all recommend to match my playstyle?

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
So I used my Wario and Bowser at a local and I ran into a problem: Corrin/Kamui. I tried to use my Bowser and failed then switched to my Wario and did a little better. I'm currently redoing my linup (again). I've considered picking up Lucina and/or Diddy to combat high tier spam. Or what would you all recommend to match my playstyle?
Imo Corrin loses to :4diddy::4pikachu::4villager::4sheik::4ryu: and goes even with :4bayonetta::4cloud::4fox::4marth::4mario: so :4diddy: is definatly a great choice. The other choice I'd suggest would be :rosalina: but diddy works great too. I'd say go :4marth::4lucina: together not just Lucina if you wanna go that route. It's a pretty good choice but diddy is better.

I feel like in this game if you use :4marth: you should also learn :4lucina: and sane with if you use :4darkpit: learn :4pit:. Both of each vary enough to give you more of an advantage with one. For example :4pit: can snipe :4diddy: while he try's to recover while :4darkpit: cannot, but :4darkpit: kills Luma better. And Lucina is better at getting a character of the edge but Marth had more range. It's good to know how to use both.

I'm having trouble picking my third. I have :4feroy::4pikachu: and struggle with :4corrin::4kirby::4mario::4gaw::4tlink::4villager::4luigi:. I know I don't need a third but I want one cause I like using 3 more than 2. I'm deciding between :4tlink:, :4marth:/:4lucina: and :4pit:/:4darkpit:. Any help?

Last edited:

Justinian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GenoAzelf
I'm having trouble picking my third. I have :4feroy::4pikachu: and struggle with :4corrin::4kirby::4mario::4gaw::4tlink::4villager::4luigi:. I know I don't need a third but I want one cause I like using 3 more than 2. I'm deciding between :4tlink:, :4marth:/:4lucina: and :4pit:/:4darkpit:. Any help?
Cloud patches up all your problems except maybe G&W.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Every character can do amazing stuff. Some more than others and some easier than others, but that's besides the point. In ZeRo's recent video he explained that the best strategy to win is to solo main OR counterpick. I think the best is using 2-3 chatacters, since you get experience with a select few and become amazing with them, but still have more than one choice for the matchup.
The problem with solo maining is you have no plan b. And if someone beats your plan a then you're screwed. For example say you solo main :4cloud2:. You run into a :4pikachu: player. Pikachu wins the matchup for sure. So you have to be really good against your toughest matchup which is very hard to do, or you loose. Now say you decided to pick up :4mario: as a secondary for cloud. Now when you run into :4pikachu: you have a winning matchup which you don't have to work so hard on.
The problem with counterpicking is that any top tier can take on any top tier (except :4ness: vs :rosalina:...). So let's say you counter pick with :4cloud2::4diddy::4mario::4fox::rosalina::4zss: And a good :4sheik: comes by and beats you in all of the matchups. Then you pick up :4pikachu: for the MU but the sheik has much mor expirience with their character than you and could handle the matchup.
So I think the best strategy is to play 2-3 characters. 2 if you use only top/ high tiers, 3 if you use mid/ low tiers too. But one thing you should definatly do is play a Top Tier. Atleast a High Tier. Then the other slot(s) can go to your fun characters. Ex I play :4pikachu: as my top tier and have :4feroy: (a mid tier) and then another (:4yoshi::rosalina::4gaw::4link::4tlink:or:4marth:)to get another option besides Pika or Roy for bad MUs.

Last edited:

Aetheric

Smash Rookie
Aight I main :4samus: and trying to find a secondary character. I thought about :4villager: but I think he is too similar to :4samus: to be a good secondary. Thoughts? Also who else would you suggest?

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Aight I main :4samus: and trying to find a secondary character. I thought about :4villager: but I think he is too similar to :4samus: to be a good secondary. Thoughts? Also who else would you suggest?
Who do you struggle against? Are you looking for an aggressive character or another defensive?

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Heres my chart like what TheBeggingBard ~~JoMo~~ TheBeggingBard ~~JoMo~~ did:
Mains:4pikachu::4feroy:
---------------------------
Great:4mario::4bowser::rosalina::4diddy::4gaw::4link::4zelda::4sheik::4tlink::4samus::4marth::4lucina::4jigglypuff::4alph::4sonic:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good:4luigi::4peach::4yoshi::4kirby::4charizard::4pit::4darkpit::4robinf::4fox::4lucario::4megaman::4mewtwo::4lucas::4cloud2::4corrin:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Usable:4dk::4ganondorf::4palutena::4myfriends::4dedede::4metaknight::4falco::4greninja::4rob::4ness::4falcon::4villager::4drmario:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Difficult:4zss::4shulk::4pacman::4ryu:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Don"t bother:4wario2::4bowserjr::4littlemac::4duckhunt::4wiifitm::4bayonetta:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
IDK:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:

Last edited:

bubbyq12

Smash Cadet
I don't know what to do. I love so many characters in this game and I want to have more than one main (I currently main:4bayonetta2: and I'm OK with that because she is my best character and fits my playstyle, although she is not my favorite character). I don't know who else to main though. I had my heart set on :4villager: since the beginning and to this very day, I continue to try to make him work because I love him as a character, but I just can't get his gameplan down (and my winrate with him is like 34% which is pretty bad) . I'd say that I like:
  • long range characters
  • characters with combos longer than 2 hits
  • characters that are semi aggressive
  • characters that are the best at something, have something that is the best move (for example Bayo has the best counter (in my opinion) with Witch Time), or characters that have a unique moveset/trait
  • characters that have a projectile (but this is not necessary)
My favorite characters (other than Bayo and Villy) are: :4corrin::4lucas::4palutena::4shulk::4wiifitm:

Do any of those characters make a good main based on my playstyle? I am also open to other options (but not heavyweights or :4kirby::4sheik::4feroy::4ryu::4wario2:)

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
You are fine as is. What you need to do now is determine when it is best to use either Bayonetta or Villager. Now, from your list of 5, I can eliminate Palutena and Shulk for being defensively-focused characters. Wii Fit, Lucas, and Corrin are perfect matches to the playstyle you're seeking. Lucas does lack in range, Corrin's projectile is pretty predictable and doesn't work too well, and Wii Fit's complex inputs may be a challenge, however their individual strengths make them all viable secondaries to your pair of mains.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
You are fine as is. What you need to do now is determine when it is best to use either Bayonetta or Villager. Now, from your list of 5, I can eliminate Palutena and Shulk for being defensively-focused characters. Wii Fit, Lucas, and Corrin are perfect matches to the playstyle you're seeking. Lucas does lack in range, Corrin's projectile is pretty predictable and doesn't work too well, and Wii Fit's complex inputs may be a challenge, however their individual strengths make them all viable secondaries to your pair of mains.
I've been able to narrow down to :4link::4marth:/:4lucina::4mewtwo::rosalina::4sheik::4tlink:. Can anyone tell me good things they have with range/ edge guarding? I don't care about tier ranking I just wanna know some good things they'll do to help my :4pikachu::4feroy:

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
I can see why edgeguarding is the key topic here- Roy and Pikachu can't do it, so you need to pick your third character based on that. In that case... go with Rosalina because she's got stuff that Pika or Roy don't. Don't lose focus on your mains though, it's important to be best at your best characters...

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
I can see why edgeguarding is the key topic here- Roy and Pikachu can't do it, so you need to pick your third character based on that. In that case... go with Rosalina because she's got stuff that Pika or Roy don't. Don't lose focus on your mains though, it's important to be best at your best characters...
Umm, pika has one of if not the best edgeguarding in the game and Roy is scary offstage too. I want someone who can because that's how I play and I need to beat some characters with bad recovery a so not being able to edgeguarding there would suck. I just wanna know how they could benefit Roy and pika with their playstyles and tools.

Hello everyone! I've only recently started using SB, so sorry if I'm being rude by posting in the middle of this little conversation ^^^^ but it's URGENT.
I've always had trouble with mains/secondaries. Currently my mains are :4littlemac: and:4bowser:. My problem is trying to find secondaries, or even new mains that I won't get bored of, as I find myself switching mains every two months or so. (It's not a good.) I know you won't be able to read my mind when it comes to who I'll get bored of, but I need a general idea of who I should put my time into.

Some facts about my "playstyle": (I'm still pretty low level so my playstyle hasn't developed that much.)
I like semi-defensive play. Since I don't know that much about every character, I don't really know what characters fit that. I rely on this playstyle so much, that if I find myself liking an offensive character, I'll seriously just run around down tilting every 5 seconds, shielding way too much, and punishing with side-tilts....not the best strategy. (All you need to do is watch me play :4feroy: then you'll see what I mean.) I've never been the biggest fan of REALLY defensive characters, though. Like :4olimar: and the like. I also like fast movement. I've never really been the best in the air. Unless the move has a hit box the size of Jupiter I have like a 60% chance of landing it. Because of is, I'm trash at edge-guarding. I mean trash. It's an accomplishment for me to land :4ganondorf:'s d-air. Don't bother trying to make me play a top ten character, because they often get boring for me quickly. The highest I'd go is like..... Maybe :4pikachu:, before I'd just feel like it's the characters victory and not mine. (It's a mindset of mine that can't be changed, sorry.) I also either can't play or get really bored of :4bowserjr:,:4corrin:, :4fox:,:4mario:,:4ryu:,:4shulk: and :4tlink: so don't bother with those either. Everybody else I'd be pretty okay with trying to learn. Again, pretty new so I have almost no idea which characters fit my playstyle. Any off-the top suggestions? Any characters that I hate that I really should give a chance to? Any response helps.

Christ, this was long.....

Last edited:

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
Funny, I place :4pikachu: at the 11 position on my tier list. (and btw I forgot he could edgeguard so well... then I remembered ESAM)
I can see why you flocked to :4littlemac: after deciding you're too weak in the air. He never leaves the ground.
Well, since you are new, here's the top 10 characters (yeah, this is pretty universal, except for the order I put them in)
:4cloud::4mario::rosalina::4diddy::4fox::4sheik::4ryu::4sonic::4zss::4mewtwo: This goes for anyone- if you don't like characters carrying you, don't play these.
I suggest you try :4ness:. He doesn't need too much skill in terms of edgeguarding, he can play defensively, and he has massive KO power.

Last edited:
Woah! :4mewtwo:'s top ten? I guess I should brush up on my tiers. Funny thing is I actually enjoy playing him because it felt very high risk high reward. Guess that's changed since his bottom tier days haha. Everybody else in top ten I know and understand.That's besides the point. Very interesting. I have always enjoyed :4ness: (and :4lucas:) although I suppose the ladder a little worse, no? He also might not fit my bill when it comes to edgeguarding [air and d-air are difficult to spike with] and he spends quite a bit more time in the air. I do like his nair, d-tilt and up smash in particular, though. As for :4ness:, I do hate fighting :rosalina: and even I know that's a notoriously bad matchup for him. Who doesn't hate fighting her though. If anything I'll go:4bowser: or whatever. OH WAIT. Her up air. I'd get destroyed cuz :4bowser: can't land. Ehhhhhh I'll figure something out. I suppose I should go look at some guide videos for :4ness:. Thanks a ton.

Question though, would it be a similar thing if I picked up :4lucas:instead? (I have no REAL preference. I guess I sorta prefer :4lucas: a teeeeeeny bit more, [almost negligible]).

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Woah! :4mewtwo:'s top ten? I guess I should brush up on my tiers. Funny thing is I actually enjoy playing him because it felt very high risk high reward. Guess that's changed since his bottom tier days haha. Everybody else in top ten I know and understand.That's besides the point. Very interesting. I have always enjoyed :4ness: (and :4lucas:) although I suppose the ladder a little worse, no? He also might not fit my bill when it comes to edgeguarding [air and d-air are difficult to spike with] and he spends quite a bit more time in the air. I do like his nair, d-tilt and up smash in particular, though. As for :4ness:, I do hate fighting :rosalina: and even I know that's a notoriously bad matchup for him. Who doesn't hate fighting her though. If anything I'll go:4bowser: or whatever. OH WAIT. Her up air. I'd get destroyed cuz :4bowser: can't land. Ehhhhhh I'll figure something out. I suppose I should go look at some guide videos for :4ness:. Thanks a ton.

Question though, would it be a similar thing if I picked up :4lucas:instead? (I have no REAL preference. I guess I sorta prefer :4lucas: a teeeeeeny bit more, [almost negligible]).
:4lucas: Does better against rosa so if you're really worried about it use him.

I have taken away some of my options but still have decided on my secondary yet. Again I main :4feroy::4pikachu: and I want a 3rd who I have as another option against my tough matchups like :4ness::4mario::4greninja::4villager::4olimar::4corrin:, and a few more. I don't care if they win the mu I just want them to be able to fight them. I'm considering :rosalina: (not learning all the super hard tech):4link::4sheik::4tlink::4samus::4marth::4corrin::4myfriends: Are any of them really bad secondaries? What makes them good secondaries? Please help

Last edited:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I may have posted here before, but I'm unsure. If so, here's a bit of an update. I'm maining :4lucina: atm, trying for a second co-main of sorts. It's between :4mewtwo: and :4metaknight: right now. :4greninja: WAS a potential at one point, but since I'm so inconsistent with him, and it generally seems like I'm not as good with him as the other 2, it led to me dropping him, as much as I like the character. Not sure who to go with, or if removing :4greninja: was a good idea. *shrug*

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
I may have posted here before, but I'm unsure. If so, here's a bit of an update. I'm maining :4lucina: atm, trying for a second co-main of sorts. It's between :4mewtwo: and :4metaknight: right now. :4greninja: WAS a potential at one point, but since I'm so inconsistent with him, and it generally seems like I'm not as good with him as the other 2, it led to me dropping him, as much as I like the character. Not sure who to go with, or if removing :4greninja: was a good idea. *shrug*
Who do you struggle against? That will help you decide. And yes :4greninja: is a good thing since :4mewtwo::4metaknight: are both good and can handle things.

Top Bottom