• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345
Part 2:

After experimenting with some of the characters more result are in.

:4charizard: Charizard is fun just is based on hard reads which I'm not to fond of. Some times I do make plays based on reads but I think Charizard is a character who relys on them.
:4pit:/:4darkpit: They are both very fun and good characters. But I'm am more in favor in dark pit because I'm not very good at maneuvering Pit's arrows.
:4lucario: A very fun character and a good one too. It jut that he is weak without aura. But I will still keep him on the list.
:4ness: Another good character. I do very well with him which is why he is still on the list.
:4pikachu: Pikachu Is a good character but seems to techinal for me. So he's ofs the list.
:4rob: I wouldnt say I'm bad with this character but I wouldn't say I'm good. R.O.B is a good character and I'm keeping him on the list.
:4shulk: Shulk is good with his different arts. Its just that the lag on some of his moves just brings him down for me. So he is off the list.
:4mewtwo: One of my better characters. he is very good and doesn't have a lot of bad matchups. Therefore, he is on the list.
:4metaknight: A nice and fast characters. He can get in and get ou quite well. There is still more I need to learn about this character but he is still on the list.
:4myfriends: Same with Shulk. He just has so much lag on his moves.

The final results:

Staying :)
---------------------------------
:4darkpit: :4lucario: :4ness: :4mewtwo: :4metaknight:

Booted off :(
:4charizard: :4pit: :4pikachu: :4myfriends: :4shulk:

Last edited:

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345
Part 3

:4darkpit: Like I said a very good character but he seems to get his kill s a bit late. Around 110-130 when I probably would have died. So thats why he is off the list
:4lucario: A very good character too. And Is quite versatile or at least enough for my taste. And He is just really fun. So he is still on the list.
:4ness: Good character and quite versatile. He has a little bit of everything and can handle himself quite well. Therefore he is still on the list.
:4mewtwo: A very good character. He is very powerful and fast and quite versatile so he is still on the list.
:4metaknight: Like I said. A very good and fast character but it seems like he relies on string up airs together and finishing it of with an up b. So hes seems kinda bland and stale so he is off the list.

:4lucario::4ness::4mewtwo:

:4darkpit: :4metaknight:

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Part 3

:4darkpit: Like I said a very good character but he seems to get his kill s a bit late. Around 110-130 when I probably would have died. So thats why he is off the list
:4lucario: A very good character too. And Is quite versatile or at least enough for my taste. And He is just really fun. So he is still on the list.
:4ness: Good character and quite versatile. He has a little bit of everything and can handle himself quite well. Therefore he is still on the list.
:4mewtwo: A very good character. He is very powerful and fast and quite versatile so he is still on the list.
:4metaknight: Like I said. A very good and fast character but it seems like he relies on string up airs together and finishing it of with an up b. So hes seems kinda bland and stale so he is off the list.

:4lucario::4ness::4mewtwo:

:4darkpit: :4metaknight:
How many characters do you want to use? Solo main? 2?

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Kamdy Kamdy I like how you've been progressing to find characters you like; you've narrowed it down to a solid 3 choices from that list, which is pretty great. If your goal is to play 1-on-1: have you watched videos of these characters in tournament play or checked out their respective forums for any videos? You can get a good idea of how others use these characters.

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345
How many characters do you want to use? Solo main? 2?
I'm looking to just main one/solo-main
Kamdy Kamdy I like how you've been progressing to find characters you like; you've narrowed it down to a solid 3 choices from that list, which is pretty great. If your goal is to play 1-on-1: have you watched videos of these characters in tournament play or checked out their respective forums for any videos? You can get a good idea of how others use these characters.
Yes I have actually and I have almost decided.

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345
Part 4

:4lucario: As I have said before fun and versatile. He is very good and I like using him. Therefore he is on the list.

:4ness: Good characters. But I cant see myself sticking with this character. So he is off the list.

:4mewtwo: Good power and speed and can really dish out damage. Therefore he is on the list

:4lucario: :4mewtwo:

Booted of :(
:4ness:

Get hyped for Part 5 the finale were I finally find my main!
Stay tuned! :D

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Part 4

:4lucario: As I have said before fun and versatile. He is very good and I like using him. Therefore he is on the list.

:4ness: Good characters. But I cant see myself sticking with this character. So he is off the list.

:4mewtwo: Good power and speed and can really dish out damage. Therefore he is on the list

:4lucario: :4mewtwo:

Booted of :(
:4ness:

Get hyped for Part 5 the finale were I finally find my main!
Stay tuned! :D
Who do you have more fun with?

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345
Part 5: The finale

Where I chose my main

:4mewtwo: Great characters fast. Hast great power and can rack up damage quickly.

:4lucario: Another great character powerful and versatile and can also rack up damage quickly.

This was a very hard choice. But I can only pick just one of you.

My main is.....

Lucario

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Part 5: The finale

Where I chose my main

:4mewtwo: Great characters fast. Hast great power and can rack up damage quickly.

:4lucario: Another great character powerful and versatile and can also rack up damage quickly.

This was a very hard choice. But I can only pick just one of you.

My main is.....

Lucario
Congrats dude. He can beat anyone in the cast as long as you outlive them and abuse the craziness of aura + rage

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Is anyone here an expert on Project M and SSB4 Lucario enough to make a comparison of each? I've just watched a Project M Lucario Montage by Mr. R and I thought it was really awesome and got me interested in picking up Lucario. Would Lucario in SSB4 be the same in terms of having combc set-ups?

Obviously not as much or good in Project M but if he is still a combo character in SSB4. Also is there any top professionals that play him in SSB4 as of now?

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345
Is anyone here an expert on Project M and SSB4 Lucario enough to make a comparison of each? I've just watched a Project M Lucario Montage by Mr. R and I thought it was really awesome and got me interested in picking up Lucario. Would Lucario in SSB4 be the same in terms of having combc set-ups?

Obviously not as much or good in Project M but if he is still a combo character in SSB4. Also is there any top professionals that play him in SSB4 as of now?
You may be better of going to the Lucario character discussion. I'm no expert but I will give you my insight.

Through my short time in playing him I do not consider his combo character or a combo oriented but more like an All-Rounder/Mix-Up character. He can combo quite well and is very versatile. I think on of his B&B's are Is Down Throw -> Forward Air -> Forward Air and then you can end it of with an Up Air or Neutral Air.

If by combo-ing you mean have a versatile moveset with moves that combo into each other then yes, he is one.

Please be aware that this is just my OPINION and I may be wrong.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681

Lucario in Project M is very different from Lucario here. For starters, PM Lucario has no aura mechanic, whereas S4 Lucario does. Kamdy is right to say that he is not as combo oriented in Smash4 as he is in PM.

Professionals in Smash4:
(Mexico) Serge :4lucario:(:4cloud:) vs (Mexico) MK Leo:4metaknight::4cloud2: https://youtu.be/Yo89yCNdW_w
(Japan) Motsunabe:4lucario: vs (Japan) KEN :4sonic:https://youtu.be/9f82nhEfIDM
(Canada) Astro:4lucario: vs (US) False :4marth::4ryu: https://youtu.be/Sw1MGfeB51Y

As you can see, he has good results in competitive play and has a good foundation of dedicated players. The first two are also Grand Finals matches, where the Lucario player won the entire tournament.

(note: Serge switched to Cloud when Leo switched to Cloud and beat him. Cloud is debatably Lucario's worst matchup).

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Should I use :4fox:? I've been debating it since I've actually been pulling of sick combos and death set ups with him. Would he be a good 3rd for :4pikachu::4feroy:? Otherwise I'd consider :4tlink:still as well as :4mario::4diddy:. I'll do a thing talking about why I like them.
:4feroy:His hyper aggressive get-in-your-face style matched with his speed and strength are so much fun and great for me, his Marth like move set makes him come natural to me since I used Marth in all the previous games.
:4pikachu:His auick movements, attacks, recovery, and combos matched with his easy jab locks and thinder kills are so much fun for me, also i used him in previous games.

Now onto the 3rd options.
:4mario:His easy flowing through combos and all rounded yet aggressive playstyle come naturally and fun to me, though he is very popular in my region.
:4diddy:I love items, and his throw combos and bans play are very fun to me, but getting a kill consistently is tricky.
:4tlink:For sure my true main in the past games, as well as my favorite video game character from my favorite game ever. His bomb play and tilt combos along with easy jab locks make him a lot of fun, but his grab game could be better since I like grabs.
:4fox:His super fast speed, combos, and aggressive nature make him a lot of fun and a lot of his stuff comes naturally to me. I love shine gimps too. Like diddy killing consistently is the only downside.

Last edited:

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345
Should I use :4fox:? I've been debating it since I've actually been pulling of sick combos and death set ups with him. Would he be a good 3rd for :4pikachu::4feroy:? Otherwise I'd consider :4tlink:still as well as :4mario::4diddy:.
Hmm Like I said I'm no expert but I would say go for it.

:4fox: covers a lot of :4pikachu: and :4feroy: weaknesses. So you want go with :4fox:

But again you might be better of going to the respective character discussion.

Last edited:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Appreciate the tips Kamdy Kamdy DavemanCozy DavemanCozy

Now of course, while I don't expect :4lucario: in SSB4 to live up to his PM expectations, he's still a cool and interesting character I'm willing to try out. Heck, I'll even go to the Lucario boards and debut my post, saying that my boys from the Mains Advice Thread hook me up with them. (if you two are all GG with it that is)

Now, what can I say to this?
Should I use :4fox:? I've been debating it since I've actually been pulling of sick combos and death set ups with him. Would he be a good 3rd for :4pikachu::4feroy:? Otherwise I'd consider :4tlink:still as well as :4mario::4diddy:.
Personally, I think :4fox: would be a good counterpick to :4feroy:. With some adequate knowledge I have of him, I'd imagine that Roy's play style is something that people especially with projectiles can take advantage of since he has to be so close. Since Fox is a fast rushdown character that can reflect projectiles (can't guarantee for Ness, Lucas or Robin) alongside having good frame data, I think he'd fit the answer to Roy's bad match-ups.

Welp sadly I'm going to have to drop my Bowser to a pocket due to my lack of tourney results (rip King Booze 2015-2016) So I played Marth in Brawl for a while and I picked him up and he feels amazing. The problem is that I prefer to have a secondary that is a Mid to Low tier that helps Marth (don't ask me why I just need to have one.) any suggestions? I was thinking something along the lines of :4littlemac: becasue I've always enjoyed playing and getting those Mac 'n' Cheese UpB kills, :4falco: because I love doing his Nair into Fair whenever I can and spiking with Dair, and :4falcon: cause style. (I dislike projectile characters quite a bit even though I've mained a few in the past.) Any other suggestions that I should tryout?

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Welp sadly I'm going to have to drop my Bowser to a pocket due to my lack of tourney results (rip King Booze 2015-2016) So I played Marth in Brawl for a while and I picked him up and he feels amazing. The problem is that I prefer to have a secondary that is a Mid to Low tier that helps Marth (don't ask me why I just need to have one.) any suggestions? I was thinking something along the lines of :4littlemac: becasue I've always enjoyed playing and getting those Mac 'n' Cheese UpB kills, :4falco: because I love doing his Nair into Fair whenever I can and spiking with Dair, and :4falcon: cause style. (I dislike projectile characters quite a bit even though I've mained a few in the past.) Any other suggestions that I should tryout?
Captain falcon for speed or falco for projectiles. Which ever you struggle more with

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345
Try :4greninja
Try :4greninja:

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345
After playing :4lucario: its seems like I'm more of a Rushdown type of player. With this said what are some Rushdown characters. I know some characters can be played different ways but what are some characters that do best as a Rushdown character.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
After playing :4lucario: its seems like I'm more of a Rushdown type of player. With this said what are some Rushdown characters. I know some characters can be played different ways but what are some characters that do best as a Rushdown character.
:4falcon::4cloud::4corrin::4darkpit::4diddy::4mario::4metaknight::4ness::4pikachu::4rob::4feroy::4sheik::4villager::4yoshi::4zss:

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345
Yes. They either easily can or legit are like diddy. Just look at Ranai. He does crazy Rushdown stuff with villager.
Now I feel like I have to main:4cloud2: He was my first DLC and I bought him because I thought I just had to main him. Since I first saw :4cloud2: in a Death Battle and I just thought he was cool. When I first saw he was in smash I was shocked.

Would I be a scrub :/

Edit: Also I got him because he just looked cool.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Hey guys. I've been maining :4megaman: and :4kirby: for a long time now, and I want your opinions on this team. Here's what I think:
Megs can help Kirby against: :4tlink: :4diddy: :4luigi: :4sonic: :rosalina: :4ryu: :4cloud: :4marth: :4peach:
Kirby can help Megs against: :4fox: :4mewtwo: :4sheik: :4wario: :4falcon:

Those are some examples that I can think of. It's not entirely perfect, Mario still gives trouble to both characters and Kirby has a slightly easier time with Sheik compared to Megs, but for the most part, I think it's a solid team. Thoughts?

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
Now I feel like I have to main:4cloud2: He was my first DLC and I bought him because I thought I just had to main him. Since I first saw :4cloud2: in a Death Battle and I just thought he was cool. When I first saw he was in smash I was shocked.
Would I be a scrub :/
Edit: Also I got him because he just looked cool.
YES. if you couldn't already tell by my description, I kind of hate cloud... so this is really biased but yeah I don't think anyone should feel obligated to pick cloud unless they have an acceptable reason
also there is no definition of a "rushdown character", just a "rushdown playtyle" and characters that compliment it
none of those characters exclusively have to play rushdown, but they are capable of it

@Nice it's time to settle it once and for all, pick either toon link or fox, keeping in mind what you need most to compliment your roychu (raichu pun intended)

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Im going toon link. i've been in labing with him and found footstool jab lock fun stuff that makes him broken, sort of

Kamdy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kamdy
3DS FC
1865-2154-2345
YES. if you couldn't already tell by my description, I kind of hate cloud... so this is really biased but yeah I don't think anyone should feel obligated to pick cloud unless they have an acceptable reason
also there is no definition of a "rushdown character", just a "rushdown playtyle" and characters that compliment it
none of those characters exclusively have to play rushdown, but they are capable of it

@Nice it's time to settle it once and for all, pick either toon link or fox, keeping in mind what you need most to compliment your roychu (raichu pun intended)
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, you're saying if I go Cloud.... I'm a scrub. And only For Glory scrubs use Cloud.

Painting

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I've been playing some :samus2: in PM and I absolutely love this characters playstyle. I was wondering what characters in Smash 4 (except :4samus:, I don't like her in Smash 4) have a similar playstyle.

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, you're saying if I go Cloud.... I'm a scrub. And only For Glory scrubs use Cloud.
DJBor said:
if you couldn't already tell by my description, I kind of hate cloud... so this is really biased but yeah I don't think anyone should feel obligated to pick cloud unless they have an acceptable reason
Ummm, no. That's not what I mean. Cloud is not a campy, annoying, or "For Glory stereotyped" character. I'm talking about tournament players. It feels like nearly everyone either mains, seconds, or pockets Cloud. It often feels as if there is no escape from the character... Limit Break Cross Slash and his incredibly safe aerials give him a practically flawless matchup chart. But it's not like he doesn't require any skill (though most think he is very easy to use)
I should have realized that you meant For Glory scrub. Which you would not be. No, you'd only be "just another Cloud main" in tournament.

On For Glory, you'd be more likely stereotyped if you used... (ok not sure, hesitant here) :4littlemac::4link::4bayonetta::4ganondorf::4mario:??? Not really sure but I feel like those five get the most complaints across the YouTube scene. But even then, it's a very specific playstyle on all 5 that grant their notoriety, and you don't have to have that playstyle.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Ummm, no. That's not what I mean. Cloud is not a campy, annoying, or "For Glory stereotyped" character. I'm talking about tournament players. It feels like nearly everyone either mains, seconds, or pockets Cloud. It often feels as if there is no escape from the character... Limit Break Cross Slash and his incredibly safe aerials give him a practically flawless matchup chart. But it's not like he doesn't require any skill (though most think he is very easy to use)
I should have realized that you meant For Glory scrub. Which you would not be. No, you'd only be "just another Cloud main" in tournament.

On For Glory, you'd be more likely stereotyped if you used... (ok not sure, hesitant here) :4littlemac::4link::4bayonetta::4ganondorf::4mario:??? Not really sure but I feel like those five get the most complaints across the YouTube scene. But even then, it's a very specific playstyle on all 5 that grant their notoriety, and you don't have to have that playstyle.
You're a fg scrub if you spam, taunt after every kill even when it was something lame, use lag as a tool to win, and always play the character your opponent just played so you do a ditto.

Also Mega-Spider Mega-Spider your team is a good one. Use Kirby for Mario and sheik.

I've decided to stick with what I previously had :4feroy::4pikachu::4tlink:. I'm still gonna practice my :4fox: a bit and possibly keep him as another choice for the :4mario: and :4corrin: matchups instead of relying solely on :4feroy: and :4pikachu:. Maybe a few others too. He's a pocket for now though.

Last edited:

Aetheric

Smash Rookie
Hey I'm looking for a character that is really good at pressuring and cover multiple options at once

Top Bottom