• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

DunCain

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. I'm a bit new to the competitive smash scene. I've only been to three tournaments in all of my experience and all of them, I literally came in with no direction. (I didn't place poorly, but still want to improve!!) I've ONLY have Project M at my household as it stands, but I invite people over to play Smash 4. I'm having the hardest time trying to find a main to play in Smash 4. With my limited game play, I have done the entire "just go random" And I enjoy Fox, Lucina, and Robin quite a bit, but if I go to a tournament. I find myself basically resorting to a random where I just pit random characters against other peoples mains. This last tournament, I played Zelda, Fox, Lucina, Robin, and Yoshi and I have no idea any of the match ups. Is there any advice on what I could do to find a main and how to know it's the best pick? (I really like Fox, but I get zoned out SO easy, and Lucina doesn't fare so well in Tourney standings and her overall video rep doesn't help me find out too many neat little tricks.)

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Do you have any other suggestions? I try to play more rush-down characters - though I suppose Palutena wouldn't be a bad idea.
:4bowser: has to rush his opponent down, and he thrives on reads and aggressive spacing. He also isn't even close to high tier. :4metaknight: is pretty rushdown-oriented as well, thriving on getting grabs into long combos. Not high tier, but many see him as very underrated, so there's that. In fact, I recommend him the most. And of course, there's always good old :4littlemac:. The struggle is real with this character, but he has some of the best ground game out of the whole cast, and is very slept on.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Do you have any other suggestions? I try to play more rush-down characters - though I suppose Palutena wouldn't be a bad idea.
Meta Knight is a more rush down oriented character, but the main reason I didn't mention him earlier was that the general consensus is that if he isn't a high tier character, then he is right at the top of mid tier.

Of course with that said, he has seen a massive decrease in usage since Brawl to the extent that he is legitimately underused in this game, so he may still fit your description.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Palutena has had more significant results than Meta Knight. Why, just 2 weekends ago in Toronto at Get On My Level 2, IceNinja placed 7th with her. This was a Customs off National tournament too (some of NJ was there including Nakat), and Palu is considered a low tier in that meta.

There are less Meta Knights making impacts than Palutenas. The number for both is small in the end, so if you really don't want a popular high tier, just pick either. Imo, MK is largely unexplored atm and fits what you described better.

Hey guys. I'm a bit new to the competitive smash scene. I've only been to three tournaments in all of my experience and all of them, I literally came in with no direction. (I didn't place poorly, but still want to improve!!) I've ONLY have Project M at my household as it stands, but I invite people over to play Smash 4. I'm having the hardest time trying to find a main to play in Smash 4. With my limited game play, I have done the entire "just go random" And I enjoy Fox, Lucina, and Robin quite a bit, but if I go to a tournament. I find myself basically resorting to a random where I just pit random characters against other peoples mains. This last tournament, I played Zelda, Fox, Lucina, Robin, and Yoshi and I have no idea any of the match ups. Is there any advice on what I could do to find a main and how to know it's the best pick? (I really like Fox, but I get zoned out SO easy, and Lucina doesn't fare so well in Tourney standings and her overall video rep doesn't help me find out too many neat little tricks.)
How did you place? And who are your mains for PM?

I can tell you about Fox:

Fox has poor range, but great speed. You gotta use that speed to your advantage, use fox-trotting instead of rolling to space and zone the opponent yourself.

Other things:
Utilt and jab are your best out of shield friends. Jab covers your front and utilt covers your back. It's essential to learn the angles Fire Fox and mix up how you get back onstage with it and Fox Illusion.

Last edited:

Taureactor

Smash Rookie
NNID
Taureactor
Hello! I am new to the competitive scene of smash 4 (first smash game to play competitive). I am having trouble finding a main, my goal is to have one main and maybe 1 or 2 secondaries so I can really focus on a character. My main in smash 3ds is ness but he felt too repetitive to play with. I like :4falcon: for his speed, his many follow ups and his style in general, but I have trouble approaching people and I don't like his recovery. I like :4dedede: for his jumps/recovery, his range and his punish game, but he is slow. I still like :4ness:in the wii u, I like his follow ups and his moves but like I said he feels repetitive (dthrow to fairs,... althought that might just be me). I like :4fox: for his speed, his aerials and his moveset in general but I have trouble spacing his attacks and getting the kill. I like :4megaman:, his games are awesome and I feel that he has potential in smash 4, but I have trouble at spacing his attacks and he doesnt have that much follow-ups except dthrow to fair/bair. Other characters I like to play are: :4pit:,:4myfriends:,:4kirby:,:4samus::4yoshi: and that's about it. Also I really like when a character has a meteor attack!

So any suggestions and opinions on who I should choose is appreciated :D

DunCain

Smash Rookie
The first tournament i did was a project M tournament and I was playing Wolf. I didn't make it out of brackets by one win. In the Smash 4 tournaments, we have a tournament here in Clarksville that just now started and the first was just clarksville folks and those that randomly found it on Facebook. I made it to Losers Semis playing a non custom Fox and Lucina. This last tournament I made it to top 16 with people from all over Tennessee heading over, but I think I only lost because I didn't know the match up at all. I play Zelda in project M, and the reason why is I love being rewarded for proper spacing and being able to get off a combo that can net upwards of 50% because of precise placement of Din's fire, and F-tilt knock back. I really want a character that can combo and even when I was playing Fox, I was getting the D-throw to Fair to Fair combos. I love combo games. But for example, I find it incredibly hard to approach a link with a strong projectile game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hello! I am new to the competitive scene of smash 4 (first smash game to play competitive). I am having trouble finding a main, my goal is to have one main and maybe 1 or 2 secondaries so I can really focus on a character. My main in smash 3ds is ness but he felt too repetitive to play with. I like :4falcon: for his speed, his many follow ups and his style in general, but I have trouble approaching people and I don't like his recovery. I like :4dedede: for his jumps/recovery, his range and his punish game, but he is slow. I still like :4ness:in the wii u, I like his follow ups and his moves but like I said he feels repetitive (dthrow to fairs,... althought that might just be me). I like :4fox: for his speed, his aerials and his moveset in general but I have trouble spacing his attacks and getting the kill. I like :4megaman:, his games are awesome and I feel that he has potential in smash 4, but I have trouble at spacing his attacks and he doesnt have that much follow-ups except dthrow to fair/bair. Other characters I like to play are: :4pit:,:4myfriends:,:4kirby:,:4samus::4yoshi: and that's about it. Also I really like when a character has a meteor attack!

So any suggestions and opinions on who I should choose is appreciated :D
So what you're looking for is someone with:

-Decent speed and mobility.
-Decent number of bread and butter follow ups.
-Dependable meteor smash.
-Reliable recovery.
-Not a lot of dependency on perfect spacing.
-More defensive than offensive from a neutral stand point.
-Decent kill options.

Based on these traits, your ideal character would be...

:4olimar: (meets all criteria, not the fastest on the ground but aerial mobility makes up for it, especially with his plethora of follow ups from grabs)

With follow ups being:

:4rob: (meets 6/7, not very fast on the ground and kind of vulnerable in the air)
:4villager:(meets 5/7, meteor smash is literally random, knowing the spacing of his/her attacks is important for follow ups/defensive options)

Last edited:

Taureactor

Smash Rookie
NNID
Taureactor

-Reliable recovery.
-Decent kill options.

:4olimar: (meets all criteria, not the fastest on the ground but aerial mobility makes up for it, especially with his plethora of follow ups from grabs)

With follow ups being:

:4rob: (meets 6/7, not very fast on the ground and kind of vulnerable in the air)
:4villager:(meets 5/7, meteor smash is literally random, knowing the spacing of his/her attacks is important for follow ups/defensive options)
Thanks for the reply! I never knew olimar had a meteor, nor did he had any follow ups! I know dabuz plays him, so I'll look for tutorials and other olimar and I'll see if I like his gameplay! I'm not sure about rob, I'll have to test him more. Also I like villager, but he might be too campy for me. Anyway, thanks again for the reply I never really tried these characters, so I'll practice them and see what happens!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Thanks for the reply! I never knew olimar had a meteor, nor did he had any follow ups! I know dabuz plays him, so I'll look for tutorials and other olimar and I'll see if I like his gameplay! I'm not sure about rob, I'll have to test him more. Also I like villager, but he might be too campy for me. Anyway, thanks again for the reply I never really tried these characters, so I'll practice them and see what happens!
Dair is his meteor (although it hits harder with the red and purple pikmin) and his u/dthrow have a lot of decent set ups. They're not unavoidable combos but they're decently reliable at lower percentages and dthrow to fair is about as bread and butter as you can get in this game.

BombVoyage

Smash Rookie
Hello. I am a veteran smash player that is new to competitive smash. I'm looking for a secondary character to compliment the two that I have already worked on. Right now I play:4ganondorf: and:4villager:. I've made attempts at a variety of characters but I'm not really sure what would work best to cover weaknesses I have with my two existing characters. The ones I have tried have been :4falco:,:4luigi:,:4metaknight:,:4olimar:,:4robinm:,:4sheik:, and :4yoshi:. I realize some on this list are "high tier" but that makes no difference to me. Honestly I enjoy playing lower and less popular characters. Any help in finding my next character would be greatly appreciated.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hello. I am a veteran smash player that is new to competitive smash. I'm looking for a secondary character to compliment the two that I have already worked on. Right now I play:4ganondorf: and:4villager:. I've made attempts at a variety of characters but I'm not really sure what would work best to cover weaknesses I have with my two existing characters. The ones I have tried have been :4falco:,:4luigi:,:4metaknight:,:4olimar:,:4robinm:,:4sheik:, and :4yoshi:. I realize some on this list are "high tier" but that makes no difference to me. Honestly I enjoy playing lower and less popular characters. Any help in finding my next character would be greatly appreciated.
Well... you have two characters that are pretty different from each other. From a neutral standpoint, :4ganondorf: is more offensive and :4villager: is more defensive, given their characteristics and how their movesets work. If you were to split up the characters you listed by this, it'd look like this:

Offense oriented: :4falco::4metaknight::4sheik:
In between: :4luigi::4yoshi:
Defense oriented: :4olimar::4robinm:

So, based on this, you seem to have a preference for more aggressive characters, especially with :4metaknight: and :4sheik:being in there. As far as weaknesses go, :4sheik: definitely covers :4ganondorf: weaknesses, as they're almost polar opposites in every regard. As for :4villager:, :4sheik: helps with some of the rougher matchups like :4sonic:and :4zss: but, then again, :4sheik: is arguably the best character in the game so I suppose having a pocket one wouldn't be a bad idea if you're dedicated to your two mains.

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
Meta Knight isn't an offensive character. He's a bait and punish character that can easily camp slow characters if need be. Criminally underrated because most people don't understand the character. Sheik is versatile, though. I'd argue she's better playing defensively, but K9 has shown you can do well by playing her aggressively. Watch his videos if you want to get better at his style.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
I finally got my hands on smash 4 on monday, and have been playing through the roaster trying to find my main and secondary. Considering I haven't played smash games in a while, I don't have a personal preference on any character. I like to be aggressive, and in your face, so I thought I would enjoy :4falcon:/:4sheik: , but funny enough they're TOO fast for my liking. I need someone in the middle, but I can't decide.

Any suggestions? I was thinking I'd try ness, and probably Lucas when get comes out, but I'm not sure.

In addition, who knows? Maybe I'll end up playing the characters from the ballot.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
@ Untamed Untamed

I'd reccomend just picking a character that you are interested in for now. It's somewhat difficult to help you pick a character since you aren't quite sure what you're looking for yet.

With that said, if you still want a reccomendation, how about you try out Mario and Link. Both characters are versatile enough to fit any playstyle, but Mario leans slightly more towards rush down and combos while Link generally plays more like a zoner and powerhouse. At the very least they should give you a better idea of how you want to play.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I finally got my hands on smash 4 on monday, and have been playing through the roaster trying to find my main and secondary. Considering I haven't played smash games in a while, I don't have a personal preference on any character. I like to be aggressive, and in your face, so I thought I would enjoy :4falcon:/:4sheik: , but funny enough they're TOO fast for my liking. I need someone in the middle, but I can't decide.

Any suggestions? I was thinking I'd try ness, and probably Lucas when get comes out, but I'm not sure.

In addition, who knows? Maybe I'll end up playing the characters from the ballot.
Aggressive but not too fast? Kind of vague but here are some characters that fit that bill from a neutral standpoint:

:4bowser::4darkpit::4diddy::4dk::4lucario::4ness::4peach::4pit::4wario::4wiifit:

Of course, if you just got the game, you'll want to experiment more to see what you like. Any other traits you're looking for? For example:

-Do you like using grabs?
-How important are projectiles to your playstyle?
-Are you big on stage control?
-Do you prefer set ups to be bread and butter (think Mario dthrow to coin punch) or do you want someone with more creative potential?
- Are you okay with a main/secondary with strong weaknesses, even if they have really good strengths?
-Are you okay with having to work for kills or would you prefer that they're easier to come by?
-What's your biggest weakness as a player and what character/s do you typically have a hard time with?
-Are you okay with a character with a higher learning curve?

These are just a few things to consider.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Aggressive but not too fast? Kind of vague but here are some characters that fit that bill from a neutral standpoint:

:4bowser::4darkpit::4diddy::4dk::4lucario::4ness::4peach::4pit::4wario::4wiifit:

Of course, if you just got the game, you'll want to experiment more to see what you like. Any other traits you're looking for? For example:

-Do you like using grabs?
-How important are projectiles to your playstyle?
-Are you big on stage control?
-Do you prefer set ups to be bread and butter (think Mario dthrow to coin punch) or do you want someone with more creative potential?
- Are you okay with a main/secondary with strong weaknesses, even if they have really good strengths?
-Are you okay with having to work for kills or would you prefer that they're easier to come by?
-What's your biggest weakness as a player and what character/s do you typically have a hard time with?
-Are you okay with a character with a higher learning curve?

These are just a few things to consider.
- I like using grabs, and quite frequently go for them.
- I could use projectiles, but I'm not too keen on them to be frank.
- I would say I somewhat like stage control, but not really.
- Probably would enjoy bread and butter, easy to memorize combos.
- Well, considering I haven't played smash in long time, I'd say my fundamentals, but as I rule I'm weak against projectile based players.
- I welcome a learning curve, keeps it interesting (although that may be hypocritical, since I said I like B&B).

I apologize for being vague on my previous post.

I have been trying diddy out, seems like a potential main, but not 100% sure.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Based on all that you said, I guess you shouldn't be surprised that your best fit would be :4ness:.

-Mid weight, kind of aggressive.
-Has projectiles but doesn't need to overly rely on them to be good.
-Fantastic grab options and overall the most rewarding grabber in the game.
-Dthrow is one of the best set up throws in the game. Lots of options with PK fire.
-Can reflect projectiles and absorb energy based ones.
-Has a learning curve but it's no where as steep as it was in past games.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
So I've been playing Smash 4 for months and still have not decided on a main. I'm looking for:
-Good throws
-Good recovery
-Good aerials

I've narrowed it down to Pikachu, Kirby, Lucina, Captain Falcon, Shulk, and Ness.
I mained Kirby in Brawl, so idk if it's a good idea to main him in Smash 4 cuz it may mess me up in Brawl.
I played Lucina the most so far, but she doesn't seem to have the potential to win in tournaments.
When I play as Captain Falcon, I feel... out of sync for some reason. It seems like I should main Falcon, but I just whiff a lot of his aerials and especially his dash grab. I just feel out of sync with him.
I find Shulk's mechanics to be really interesting, but he feels a bit slow and I don't like the lag on his attacks.
I'm having trouble using Ness's recovery and it just seems really easy to get gimped.
Pikachu is pretty good, but I mess up his QA occasionally and he doesn't feel all that fun to use for some reason.

Taureactor

Smash Rookie
NNID
Taureactor
So I've been playing Smash 4 for months and still have not decided on a main. I'm looking for:
-Good throws
-Good recovery
-Good aerials

I've narrowed it down to Pikachu, Kirby, Lucina, Captain Falcon, Shulk, and Ness.
I mained Kirby in Brawl, so idk if it's a good idea to main him in Smash 4 cuz it may mess me up in Brawl.
I played Lucina the most so far, but she doesn't seem to have the potential to win in tournaments.
When I play as Captain Falcon, I feel... out of sync for some reason. It seems like I should main Falcon, but I just whiff a lot of his aerials and especially his dash grab. I just feel out of sync with him.
I find Shulk's mechanics to be really interesting, but he feels a bit slow and I don't like the lag on his attacks.
I'm having trouble using Ness's recovery and it just seems really easy to get gimped.
Pikachu is pretty good, but I mess up his QA occasionally and he doesn't feel all that fun to use for some reason.
Hey! I'll try to help you find your main:

:4kirby::I never played kirby in brawl, but in sm4sh he is good, if you want to get better with him you should look at this tutorial:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXdGaZMX328 . Kirby has good throws,excellent recovery, and good aerials too

:4lucina:: I didn't play much of her, so I can't tell.

:4falcon:: I played a lot with him! Yes his aerials takes practice and you need to read your opponent's airdodges to be able to get a knee or dair (dair can work on predictable recoveries), nair is a bit weird too. His dash grab is weird at first but trust me you get used to it, you just need to press the grab button before being in contact with the opponent! His recovery can be predictable though, but his aerials are very good and his throws too (dthrow to nair/uair and bthrow is a kill throw at high percent!)

:4shulk:: He does suffer a lot from lag, but you can autocancel your nair and you can cancel the landing lag of some of your aerials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34v54e5lhjQ which does make him feel less slow, also with speed his dash grab/pivot grab becomes much better.

:4ness:: His recovery can be gimped, but with some practice youll be able to always aim to the ledge. His throws and his aerials are excellent. When :4lucas:comes out, you should try him, because even though he is different from ness, he does have some stuff in common and his recovery will probably be much less gimpable (with his tether recovery).

:4pikachu:: I didn't really play pikachu, but I know you need to practice a lot to get good with him and his QA.

:4pit:/:4darkpit:: This is my recomendation, they have good aerials, excellent recovery, and I know dthrow can lead to some stuff and fthrow can kill at higher percent. I highly recommend trying them!

I hope that helped!

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
I'm looking for a combo-heavy character to main. I was thinking about getting into Diddy, but it seems like he has been nerfed too much now. Any ideas?

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm looking for a combo-heavy character to main. I was thinking about getting into Diddy, but it seems like he has been nerfed too much now. Any ideas?
:4falcon::4falco::4fox::4luigi::4mario::4ness::4ryu::4sheik::4sonic::4wario2:

And diddy hasn't been "nerfed too much."

He's nerfed to being TOLERABLE, instead of being in a tier of his own.

Last edited:

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
Hey! I'll try to help you find your main:

:4kirby::I never played kirby in brawl, but in sm4sh he is good, if you want to get better with him you should look at this tutorial:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXdGaZMX328 . Kirby has good throws,excellent recovery, and good aerials too

:4lucina:: I didn't play much of her, so I can't tell.

:4falcon:: I played a lot with him! Yes his aerials takes practice and you need to read your opponent's airdodges to be able to get a knee or dair (dair can work on predictable recoveries), nair is a bit weird too. His dash grab is weird at first but trust me you get used to it, you just need to press the grab button before being in contact with the opponent! His recovery can be predictable though, but his aerials are very good and his throws too (dthrow to nair/uair and bthrow is a kill throw at high percent!)

:4shulk:: He does suffer a lot from lag, but you can autocancel your nair and you can cancel the landing lag of some of your aerials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34v54e5lhjQ which does make him feel less slow, also with speed his dash grab/pivot grab becomes much better.

:4ness:: His recovery can be gimped, but with some practice youll be able to always aim to the ledge. His throws and his aerials are excellent. When :4lucas:comes out, you should try him, because even though he is different from ness, he does have some stuff in common and his recovery will probably be much less gimpable (with his tether recovery).

:4pikachu:: I didn't really play pikachu, but I know you need to practice a lot to get good with him and his QA.

:4pit:/:4darkpit:: This is my recomendation, they have good aerials, excellent recovery, and I know dthrow can lead to some stuff and fthrow can kill at higher percent. I highly recommend trying them!

I hope that helped!
Yeah, thanks for the advice!

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
:4falcon::4falco::4fox::4luigi::4mario::4ness::4ryu::4sheik::4sonic::4wario2:

And diddy hasn't been "nerfed too much."

He's nerfed to being TOLERABLE, instead of being in a tier of his own.
Thanks man and If you could say the 3 most combo- heavy of these who would you narrow it down too? And I never knew Wario was combo-heavy at all.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Thanks man and If you could say the 3 most combo- heavy of these who would you narrow it down too? And I never knew Wario was combo-heavy at all.
Wario has a fair amount of combo availability, namely off of aerial work or getting good follow up work off of his dahs attack trip.

Top 3 for combos? :4falcon::4luigi::4ryu: probably stand there. :4sheik: as a close 4th

Starlet

Smash Rookie
Have played with all of the characters. I bought all the new characters that just released and still I am completely unsure as to who to play. I only just started playing Smash in these past few weeks so I don't really know much. I feel completely lost to be honest and it's a little demotivating.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Man, I still need this thread. How do you people stick to characters? I am cursed to never have a main, I think. Like, I think I've got things narrowed down in Melee; I'm torn between :samusmelee: and :sheikmelee:. Even still, I'm constantly pulled to play other characters, but that's mostly for friendlies, where I bust out the fun low tiers (:roymelee::bowsermelee::mewtwomelee: are super terrible but fun as hell). I think I've begun to find my preferred playstyle a bit. I like characters with good neutral game, strong defense, and good edgeguarding. I have a decent amount of experience in Smash 4 with a bunch of characters, but none of them have super clicked with me : :4robinm::4tlink::4ness::4greninja::4samus::4shulk::4jigglypuff::4villager::4lucario::4duckhunt::4yoshi: to name a few I've labbed with at least a little bit. I have been messing with :4feroy: since he's new, and I like him, but his offstage presence is a bit mediocre for my taste. :4lucas:seems like a blast offstage, but his floatiness is almost painful. I'm not really sure what I'm asking for here. Just general suggestions, I guess. Methods for picking a long term main? Character recommendations? Someone to yell at me and tell me to get good or stop trying all together? Idk, help. It's been this way since launch. And ever since I began playing this series. Maybe I'm not cut out for this.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
So, I've been a Pika main up to this point, but I've been having trouble with him lately and they nerfed QAC in the patch... time to start thinking about picking up at least a second main.

So, I want to play for fun and winning in fun ways is fun. Lol. What I mean is that I want a decently good character, at least the top of mid tier, that plays aggro pressure/rushdown and has good combos, particularly grab combos. Customs on. Thanks!

Edit: No one has really *clicked* with me yet. I hope to change that.

Edit two: A good recovery is an absolute must. I live to screw around offstage.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
So, I've been a Pika main up to this point, but I've been having trouble with him lately and they nerfed QAC in the patch... time to start thinking about picking up at least a second main.

So, I want to play for fun and winning in fun ways is fun. Lol. What I mean is that I want a decently good character, at least the top of mid tier, that plays aggro pressure/rushdown and has good combos, particularly grab combos. Customs on. Thanks!

Edit: No one has really *clicked* with me yet. I hope to change that.
:4falcon: is the obvious answer. he has the speed and the need to approach. He loves getting grabs and can convert big damage off of them. He is a good character, but he also has tools like Falcon Punch and his spikes for trying to win in a "fun" way.

:4metaknight: is in a similar situation. Good dash speed and dash grab with combos out of throws. Has some tools for cool kills like dragging people to hell with Drill Rush and F-smash baits.

:4feroy: has grab combos, has the ability to space, but rewards being close to the opponent. He's new and shiny and cool, but it's hard to say where he falls relative to the cast so soon. He seems good enough. Also has the OHKO for when you want to try and be silly.

Just a note, but playing pure aggro in this game isn't exactly possible or ideal. The guys I gave were the closest I could think of.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Have played with all of the characters. I bought all the new characters that just released and still I am completely unsure as to who to play. I only just started playing Smash in these past few weeks so I don't really know much. I feel completely lost to be honest and it's a little demotivating.
Try to stick with the characters that you decided to main, like Roy, use him for a while and see how it goes. Try to learn some of his combos too.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Could someone help me find a good character to help me get into the competitive scene? I have been playing as Sheik on Smash Ladder and losing terribly with her (I am Bronze 2 and getting close to falling to Bronze 3) It seems like Sheik is one of the hardest characters to master, is there one that i would have an easier time with?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Depends on how you define "combo" because that can describe a lot of characters in this game.

:4bowserjr::4falcon::4diddy::4falco::4fox::4greninja::4kirby::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucas::4lucina::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4megaman::4metaknight::4miibrawl::4ness::4olimar::4pikachu::4feroy::4ryu::4sheik::4shulk::4sonic::4tlink::4villager::4wario::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zss:

All these characters have combos (unless you're referring strictly to inescapable, true combos) or easy to use set ups so you have to be more specific with what you're looking for. If this was Brawl this list would be significantly shorter but in this game. combos and basic set ups are a lot more accessible. Alright, let's narrow this down:

Light, medium, or heavy weight?
How good are you at spacing/how important is it to your playstyle?
Do you mind characters with higher learning curves?
How important are dependable/low risk recoveries to your playstyle?
Are you okay with characters with glaring weaknesses?
Do you see yourself as an off stage fighter?
How often do you grab?
What frustrates you most in a match?
How do you prefer to get your kills? (For example, do you highly value dependable smash attacks?)
Do you prefer to fight more on stage or more in the air?

Consider these things and we'll see if we can narrow things down from there.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Depends on how you define "combo" because that can describe a lot of characters in this game.

:4bowserjr::4falcon::4diddy::4falco::4fox::4greninja::4kirby::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucas::4lucina::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4megaman::4metaknight::4miibrawl::4ness::4olimar::4pikachu::4feroy::4ryu::4sheik::4shulk::4sonic::4tlink::4villager::4wario::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zss:

All these characters have combos (unless you're referring strictly to inescapable, true combos) or easy to use set ups so you have to be more specific with what you're looking for. If this was Brawl this list would be significantly shorter but in this game. combos and basic set ups are a lot more accessible. Alright, let's narrow this down:

Light, medium, or heavy weight?
How good are you at spacing/how important is it to your playstyle?
Do you mind characters with higher learning curves?
How important are dependable/low risk recoveries to your playstyle?
Are you okay with characters with glaring weaknesses?
Do you see yourself as an off stage fighter?
How often do you grab?
What frustrates you most in a match?
How do you prefer to get your kills? (For example, do you highly value dependable smash attacks?)
Do you prefer to fight more on stage or more in the air?

Consider these things and we'll see if we can narrow things down from there.
So I want a main that has true combos. Recently I have been using Sheik. She is really fun and I really like gimping with her. But I just think she is too difficult for me because I just got into competitive smash over the last 3 or 4 months. I play Smash Ladder with her and lose nearly every match. I guess I am looking for a character that posesses some of the same attributes as her, but one that can be learned more easily.

Taureactor

Smash Rookie
NNID
Taureactor

-Reliable recovery.
-Decent kill options.

With follow ups being:

Hey it's me again! So I tested olimar, rob and villager, and finally I'd like a more aggressive character that needs to be close to the opponent, either with fists or a sword, I still want a meteor smash, a decent recovery, decent speed, follow ups/combos and kill options! I really like combos, follow-ups and an aggressive character, those are the most important. So can you list the characters that would be best for me? Thanks for helping me!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hey it's me again! So I tested olimar, rob and villager, and finally I'd like a more aggressive character that needs to be close to the opponent, either with fists or a sword, I still want a meteor smash, a decent recovery, decent speed, follow ups/combos and kill options! I really like combos, follow-ups and an aggressive character, those are the most important. So can you list the characters that would be best for me? Thanks for helping me!
Try :4feroy:. He's brand new but he pretty much fits all those characteristics.

So I want a main that has true combos. Recently I have been using Sheik. She is really fun and I really like gimping with her. But I just think she is too difficult for me because I just got into competitive smash over the last 3 or 4 months. I play Smash Ladder with her and lose nearly every match. I guess I am looking for a character that posesses some of the same attributes as her, but one that can be learned more easily.
Which characteristics though? That's the thing. All around, I say the character that's closest to her attributes is :4greninja: but he's kind of hard for beginners to get down too. :4falcon::4mario: are the best characters in this game that are beginner friendly so maybe start with either of those two and then see where things go from there.

Top Bottom