• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Hey everyone! I am here obviously for advice on who to main in smash 4. I started out trying maining Zelda which was a complete disaster. I did not like how she felt at all. After that I tried Yoshi. My problem with Yoshi was that he was too aggressive for my likings. I've played with every character in the game and have not had fun with any of them. I have tried going on random and that didn't work so I am resorting to this. What I want in a character is someone who is NOT OP, overly aggressive, or a heavy zoning character. Some characters that I have enjoyed during my time on random are Villager, Kirby, Greninja, and Pac Man (I have not played with them a lot though. Maybe 2 matches each). I'm really good with Pikachu in melee but he just seems to different to me in Sm4sh because of the play style change. Also note that I am not a competitive player (atm) and haven't put a lot of time into Sm4ash. I Probably have a day or two played. One last thing: I absolutely hate any player with a sword so those characters are out of the question (also sonic and captain falcon). It would help me significantly if anyone had a few suggestions as to which characters they think I would enjoy playing. Thank you!: )
So you basically like characters who are more balanced between aggression and zoning without dipping into one of those extremes while also not using any sword user. In that case I have a few suggestions you haven't mentioned yet:

:4diddy:According to your profile you've used Diddy in Brawl so why not try him out in 4? He's a bit more aggressive than his previous incarnation thanks to better aerials and less bananas plus you would have a lot of video footage of the second banana to watch and study.

:4mario:The jack of all trades who you can use for pretty much any playstyle. People most commonly use him as a combo character with his fantastic up tilt and up air.

:4ness:A safe character who can go aggressive with aerials or stick back with his PK Fire/Thunder. His main problem is trying to recover in all sorts of angles so be prepared for that if you're going to use him.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
So, I am not sure who I want to play. I really don't. My issue holding me back on this particular entry for Smash is that it feels sluggish to me, and feels like it lacks things like technical skill. I know it's there, but to me it feels almost completely absent.
How I try to play: I enjoy rush play very much, and I try to get ontop my opponents ASAP, but feel that none of who I want to play fit the bill well enough. Most of my smash skills come from Melee / Project M. And I have an odd mentality against high-tier characters. Or I enjoy playing the less noteworthy characters that are considered "competitively viable". My problem so far is I also feel like inputs are a bit slow in this game. An odd character I've been trying to pick up with quite a lot of difficulty is Duck Hunt after segregating myself from Samus.

Who I've been trying to play: Lucina, Link (Regular), DK, Samus (Varia suit Samus), Dr. Mario, Shulk (My only above mid-tier character), Bowser, Bowser Junior, Duck Hunt.

^
-
-

Will add to the above when I can remember who else I try to play.

So, ask away and feel free to shoot advice.

Prior mains in other Smash entries:

Project M: Roy, Samus
Melee: Roy

SmashBear

Smash Cadet
NNID
PotatoMunches
Choose a character that makes you feel comfortable also due to the meta still evolving i would be hard to choose a character based on tiers

Spirst

@ Brim Brim I have merged your thread with the existing mains thread in the character discussion subforum.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So, I am not sure who I want to play. I really don't.
How I try to play: I enjoy rush play very much, and I try to get on top my opponents ASAP, but feel that none of who I want to play fit the bill well enough.
I enjoy playing the less noteworthy characters that are considered "competitively viable".
Who I've been trying to play: Lucina, Link (Regular), DK, Samus (Varia suit Samus), Dr. Mario, Shulk (My only above mid-tier character), Bowser, Bowser Junior, Duck Hunt.

So, ask away and feel free to shoot advice.
You like getting in, I'd recommend you keep trying Bowser. When Bowser gets in it becomes a deadly guessing game for both opponents, where the opponent who guesses wrong gets highly damaged. It in theory applies to anyone, but Bowser does make opponents scared to push buttons in fear of sustaining heavy damage. And anyone who blocks for days can be damaged via the Flying Slam command grab; and if you're a jerk the opponent has mediocre recovery, Bowsercide is a worthwhile(if disliked) tactic if you're a stock ahead or you want to start on equal footing.

Shulk and DK are also rushdown characters but I don't play either, so someone who better knows them can sing their praises to you.

Last edited:

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Choose a character that makes you feel comfortable also due to the meta still evolving i would be hard to choose a character based on tiers
My main problem with the meta is the speed honestly. It's too slow for my liking (most of the time). And I feel things like OOS (Out of shield) options aside from rolling or a very quick grab aren't viable anymore. Like low-jump aerial attack (I try to stick with neutral air if I can help it) ; I've been fiddling with Charizard, and his bair OOS is one of the few I can make work against just about any of my opponents because they'll allow it to go right over them and rush in during my vulnerable frames.
-
I've been trying to get used to Bowser, my current beef with him so far is the fact it seems difficult to approach, and when they have shield up, even when rolling they tend to catch me regardless. I think oddly enough so far, what I am having the hardest time of is actually approaching. I'm used to faster Smash games.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
So I've been playing Smash4 lately and I'm searching for a good main.Any ideas?

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Play randoms until you find someone you like. Don't ever go based solely on "who is good" or whoever someone says is good. Everyone plays a bit differently and you need to find the character that's the right fit for you.

I like playing aggressively but also being able to hop out and toy around a bit, so that's why I like Pikachu since he's very good at that, in every game. I also like using Young/Toon Link because they have the toolset of Link but much more agility. Gotta find what works for you. Like for me personally, I cannot do well with Dedede or Olimar, but there are players who do very well with them.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Play randoms until you find someone you like. Don't ever go based solely on "who is good" or whoever someone says is good. Everyone plays a bit differently and you need to find the character that's the right fit for you.

I like playing aggressively but also being able to hop out and toy around a bit, so that's why I like Pikachu since he's very good at that, in every game. I also like using Young/Toon Link because they have the toolset of Link but much more agility. Gotta find what works for you. Like for me personally, I cannot do well with Dedede or Olimar, but there are players who do very well with them.
Just to clarify I have been trying to find that one random character. I just have the mentality that says I should stay away from higher tier characters. That's all.

xthefurry

Smash Cadet
NNID
zerothezoroark
3DS FC
3239-5464-2042
could you rate my mains?
mario, lucina, dark pit, robin, mii brawler

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Its possible to see a mii brawler in tourneys but the rest of your mains are good but don't go overboard with lucarios aura play him like any others characters you play

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
They are good mains and yes mii brawlers are seen in tourneys but don't overdue lucarios aura play him like a regular character

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
The characters that I'm best with in Smash 4, in order:

:4ness::4robinf::4greninja::4bowserjr:

I'm pretty certain that :4lucas: will be up there too.

Really though, :4ness: came out of nowhere. I've never been good with him, but in Smash 4 I really rock with him. He's (probably) going to be my real main (Unless he is upstaged by :4lucas:, which is likely if Brawl is an example).

:4robinf: is the cat that I most want to main, mainly because Awakening has become my favorite game of all time and I really like her playstyle. But... As much as I try I just can't get her to main level. I'm good with her, but can get #rekt easier than I'd like.

Not sure if it is the nerfs or what, but I kicked a lot of ass with :4greninja: when 3DS came out, but now I'm kind of meh with him. Still can beat some buns but... less so than before.

I'm really casually good with :4bowserjr:, but he's not someone I would bring into any real confrontation. Could see myself maining him if I put enough effort into it.

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
Hey

I main luigi and am looking for a good secondary to use to either compliment matchups or just to play for fun. I've been messing around with ZSS and Wario and they are pretty fun but is there anything else anyone would reccomend?

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
Hey guys, so I like to use Jigglypuff in this game a lot, but i would certainly like a strong secondary because Jigglypuff on her own doesnt always cut it. In Brawl i was a big fan of Diddy and his playstyle in that game, I'm not really as fond of him in this game. I sometimes dabble in Fox (my Melee main), but I dont think i should main him. Are there any characters that you guys think is similar sort of to Brawl Diddy, or that you think would be a good fit for me, it's kind over overwhelming with the amount of characters in this game.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Hey guys, so I like to use Jigglypuff in this game a lot, but i would certainly like a strong secondary because Jigglypuff on her own doesnt always cut it. In Brawl i was a big fan of Diddy and his playstyle in that game, I'm not really as fond of him in this game. I sometimes dabble in Fox (my Melee main), but I dont think i should main him. Are there any characters that you guys think is similar sort of to Brawl Diddy, or that you think would be a good fit for me, it's kind over overwhelming with the amount of characters in this game.
:4sheik: should be a good fit. High speed, follow up on throws, one harassing projectile. Bouncing fish is devastating as a punish for recoveries.

Hey

I main luigi and am looking for a good secondary to use to either compliment matchups or just to play for fun. I've been messing around with ZSS and Wario and they are pretty fun but is there anything else anyone would reccomend?
I think I remember hearing that :4falcon: is a good compliment for Luigi. I don't know their match ups that well... :4falcon::4ness::4sheik::4wario2::4zss: should be the full spread 5 that you should run around try to mess around with.

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
:4sheik: should be a good fit. High speed, follow up on throws, one harassing projectile. Bouncing fish is devastating as a punish for recoveries.
Thank You! I was actually thinking about trying out Sheik, I'll definitely be in the lab with her a lot.

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
Thanks a lot @ Burruni Burruni , I've tried shiek but I just cant get used to her. I havent heard that about falcon but ill be sure to give him a try as well!

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi everyone, my first post on SmashBoards. I've been playing competitive Smash for at least 3 years. For Smash 3DS and Wii U, I have trouble picking a character that can counter my weaknesses of my favorite characters in the game. In Smash 3DS and Wii U, I main :4mario: and :4sonic:. Can someone give me a list of characters that can counter these two characters weaknesses? As far as I know, the only characters that I can think of are :4sheik::4pikachu::rosalina: and probably :4villager: (Is there others?). Also, is it recommendable to main how many characters (2 or 3 or more)? I greatly appreciate your feedback!

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Between Mario and Sonic, you really shouldn't need a third. Both characters are very viable solo mains. Mario does well against Sheik even, the best character in the game. Sonic is a top tier character, Mario isn't far behind. I think your effort would be better spent improving your 2 mains.

Honestly fewer mains are better, 1 or 2 is the right amount imo. If I had to recommend a third, I would say Sheik, since she's the default answer, being the best in the game. The only weakness I see between Mario and Sonic is a difficulty finishing stocks, but none of the characters you listed are any better at it. Just keep at it with the 2 you have. Study the matchups you struggle with. They cannot possibly be that bad.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Thank you so much for the advice, dude! Some people say that 3 mains is better for variety of matchups, and other people say 2 mains to focus on. As for Sheik, I like that character, but there's something that I kinda feel uncomfortable about him. I don't know what it is, but it's that something. I don't mind picking :4sheik:, because practice makes perfect. Can you recommend another character that comes in your mind to cover :4mario: and :4sonic: weaknesses? For matchups from my experience that I struggle with my two characters :
:rosalina:(UGH), :4zss:, :4villager:(a bit but not by much),:4diddy:,:4ness:,:4pikachu:. That's what I can think on top of my head. There are others (mostly for Mario), but I feel that Sonic can go against them pretty well.

I'm planning to pick a third to backup Mario and Sonic (not sure for the moment). I'm gonna focus on my two characters first before I go on to my probably third character.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Mains in the lab :
64 (I don't play this game competitively along with Brawl) : :mario64: and :luigi64:
Melee : :falcomelee:,:marthmelee: and :drmario:
Brawl ::mario2: and :sonic:
Smash 4 : :4mario: and :4sonic: (third one, not sure)

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Yeah I imagine that Rosalina might give you issues. The problem is there aren't really any characters who could be considered counterpicks to her. The best advice I can give is to learn the ins and outs of that matchup with your two mains, and maybe decide which one you feel more comfortable with against her. As for the others, Zero Suit has mediocre neutral game and a poor grab, so keep her under pressure, be ready to jab her grabs on reaction. Villager is a tricky one, but his up close options are mediocre at best, so I would say play Sonic and keep on him; he also has a bad grab. I suck against Diddy, Ness and Pikachu myself so I'm afraid I can't be much help there.

Rethinking things, I would say you should give :4luigi: a spin. His punish game is harder than either of your characters thanks to his always guaranteed down throw followups. On top of that, his fireballs are better, and can help in matchups where your current characters struggle in the neutral (:4zss::4ness::4diddy:).

Kulty

Smash Ace
Come to think of it, I used to main :4luigi:before in the first few months after the release of Smash 3DS. I absolutely love his down throw combos, but what I'm scarred about Luigi is the fact that he can be vulnerable against rushdown characters and characters who can camp. Otherwise, I can pick :4sonic: or :4mario: depending on the opponent to keep them pressure. For :rosalina:, I think that Mario has one of the greatest tools in the whole game to take Luma out (the hitbox during the animation before the backthrow or what I call it, the Koopa Toss). Sonic can be fine against her, since Rosalina can be vulnerable against rushdown characters, but the problem is that Sonic will kinda have a hard time killing Luma (from what I know)! The only character that can stand a chance against Rosalina is :4sheik: imo. Thank you a lot sir! I really appreciate it. I think I should give another shot between :4luigi:and :4sheik:. Probably Luigi, because I feel more comfortable with him (feels kinda similar to Mario in some ways).

Grimtixx

Smash Cadet
NNID
bgood4life
I'm having issues with selecting a main, but I've gotten several responses on another thread giving me advice. I'm looking for a main that I can use in tournaments and a co-main that I can use to cover the poor match-ups of my other main. These are my options:

:4megaman: :4ness: :rosalina: :4diddy: :4rob: :4sonic: :4darkpit: :4metaknight:

Kulty

Smash Ace
I'm having issues with selecting a main, but I've gotten several responses on another thread giving me advice. I'm looking for a main that I can use in tournaments and a co-main that I can use to cover the poor match-ups of my other main. These are my options:

What's your playstyle that you're more comfortable with? So you have :
:4megaman::4rob: :rosalina:(kinda) Zoning
:4sonic::4diddy::4metaknight: Rushdown
:4darkpit::4ness: All-Around
General category of your characters.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher

Which of these you enjoy the most would be a great starting point. Then, pick a secondary that you think compliments your main or covers some weaker matchups.

Grimtixx

Smash Cadet
NNID
bgood4life
Which of these you enjoy the most would be a great starting point. Then, pick a secondary that you think compliments your main or covers some weaker matchups.
I see. I was actually playing :4pikachu: while I was after I made this list, and he feels freaking amazing so I might main him. I'm not sure which of these would compliment Pikachu though as a co-main. Any ideas? I'm not that knowledgeable with match-ups and such.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I see. I was actually playing :4pikachu: while I was after I made this list, and he feels freaking amazing so I might main him. I'm not sure which of these would compliment Pikachu though as a co-main. Any ideas? I'm not that knowledgeable with match-ups and such.
Lucky for you, Pikachu is a very strong character, and he can handle mostly any character in the game. I would work mainly on him and from your experience playing him against other players, discover the matchups you struggle against personally. Then pick a secondary. Alternatively, just pick another character you enjoy, for the sake of having a character to swap off to if you occasionally get bored or frustrated with Pikachu.

Personally, I think that ROB would be good, as he offers a more zoning oriented kit, with projectiles and big moves like nair and down smash. His weight and size are very different from Pikachu, too. I prefer to pack a secondary with a different general game plan or playstyle from my main, for when my usual stuff isn't working, or I feel like mixing things up a bit.

If you want a character that covers the most matchups, Rosalina, Sonic, Ness, and Diddy are all good choices. Dark Pit makes a good secondary imo because he isn't very hard to grasp and he can go toe to toe with all kinds of characters. He lacks big strengths, but also lacks big weaknesses.

fatman.spam

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0920-1985-1832
Hi I main :4dedede: and my secondary is:4pikachu:. I cant decide wich charakter should be my second Secondary. Any suggestion?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Hi I main :4dedede: and my secondary is:4pikachu:. I cant decide wich charakter should be my second Secondary. Any suggestion?
My brother has the same lineup and it has worked for him so far. I think generally speaking, if you want to play a character like Dedede, you're better off using him as your main. Pikachu is a better character and has a much better matchup spread. If Dedede was your secondary, I can't think of any characters you would be better off bringing him for. Unless he's your main, I can't see him getting much action. Either way, Pikachu covers Dedede pretty well. Just my two cents.

Itchip

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1736-1313-0163
WARNING: Long post

Hey guys, I started smash 4 (3DS in my case) recently and used this thread for tips to choosing a main character. And I'd like to make an example of how I got to it thanks to you, maybe this could help other new players as well :)
I divided the process into 6 parts:

1) "Finishing" the game:
Basically I finished classic (2.0) and all-star (easy) with all 52 characters (48 + 3 mii + mewtwo), did 70 challenges, unlocked every char and map and just played around. At first I wanted to completely finish the game but I changed my mind after seeing those lv.3 challenges :/
This isn't really a necessary part, just something I liked doing, I won't recommend it for new players if they don't want to do it :)

2) Fun/good to play characters:
Because of 1) I played every character at least twice, so I could at least tell some chars that were fun to play or I could play better than others. Here's the list:
:4gaw::4ganondorf::4link::4zss::4marth::4myfriends::4littlemac::4charizard::4duckhunt::4falcon::4lucina::4shulk:

3) Favourite characters:
Then I just looked at all available chars and just chose my favourites (e.g. where I liked the game they're from):
:4fox::4falco::4zss::4pit::4palutena::4charizard::4lucina::4wario::4mewtwo:
Additionally: my past SSB mains: :4falcon:(64) :4marth:,:4ganondorf:(Melee) :snake:(Brawl, but N.A. here so don't mind)

4) Both lists put together:
:4falcon::4ganondorf::4zss::4marth::4charizard::4lucina::4gaw::4link::4myfriends::4littlemac::4duckhunt::4shulk::4fox::4falco::4palutena::4wario::4mewtwo::4pit:
Now I picked out 18 of all 52, which is still a lot. Time to reduce it!

5) Reducing the selection:

Now I played around with every char in training mode and learned them more and then played 10 Smash vs lvl 7-8 CPU (Battlefield, no items, 2 stock). That way I could learn the playstyles of the characters more. After this part I reduced those 18 to 7:
:4falcon::4zss::4marth::4lucina::4palutena::4gaw::4ganondorf:

6) Further reducing the selection:
Now I went online and played "For Fun" with all 7 of them (5-10 matches each) and looked how they work against human players.
After all matches I now chose 3 chars as my mains:
:4lucina::4marth::4palutena:

Conclusion:

It took me some time (Around 2-3 weeks) but it was fun so: no regrets :)
Note that I haven't played "For Glory" yet. Maybe I would have chosen differently out of the 7 if I played FG instead of FF. Now to actually use this thread for what it was created for: Can you guys comment if my procedure to choosing a main is a good or bad one and grade the 3 chars I chose. Let me just say something about them so you can see my thinking behind it.

Lucina/Marth:
I mained Marth in Melee and second main in Brawl, so I still knew the playstyle well. Lucina and Marth are very similar but I read the threads here as well and know their distinctive differences. In "For Fun" I had a little more success with Lucina than with Marth which lead to her being in front of him on my list. My playstyle with them was basically: getting close to enemy and doing some quick grabs or tilts. I like to pressurize my enemy, and by being so close that my char is basically inside him/her and am blocking/evading his attacks and then punish him and when he gets down I'm close again. It's fun seeing some players frantically get away and are open for attacks :). It doesn't work everytime, I'm still relatively new to competitive smash, maybe with some practice.

Palutena:
Her playstyle is completely different than the others. She is a full defensive character that is difficult to master. She has the potential to be top but is hard to learn and other characters (higher tiers) are easier to use and thus chosen more often. I know I have no right to have said this since I haven't mastered her in any way yet, so I apologize if I insulted anyone of you.
Anyway: I chose her as my third main because I accept the challenge to someday master her and use her well. Maybe I switch her to be in front Lucina and Marth if that happens.

Thanks for reading

P.S.: First post here! ;)

Edit: A big thanks to Thor for telling me how to do spoiler tag!

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
WARNING: Long post (too bad smashboards doesn't have spoiler tags, at least to my knowledge)

Hey guys, I started smash 4 (3DS in my case) recently and used this thread for tips to choosing a main character. And I'd like to make an example of how I got to it thanks to you, maybe this could help other new players as well :)

I divided the process into 6 parts:

1) "Finishing" the game:
Basically I finished classic (2.0) and all-star (easy) with all 52 characters (48 + 3 mii + mewtwo), did 70 challenges, unlocked every char and map and just played around. At first I wanted to completely finish the game but I changed my mind after seeing those lv.3 challenges :/
This isn't really a necessary part, just something I liked doing, I won't recommend it for new players if they don't want to do it :)

2) Fun/good to play characters:
Because of 1) I played every character at least twice, so I could at least tell some chars that were fun to play or I could play better than others. Here's the list:
:4gaw::4ganondorf::4link::4zss::4marth::4myfriends::4littlemac::4charizard::4duckhunt::4falcon::4lucina::4shulk:

3) Favourite characters:
Then I just looked at all available chars and just chose my favourites (e.g. where I liked the game they're from):
:4fox::4falco::4zss::4pit::4palutena::4charizard::4lucina::4wario::4mewtwo:
Additionally: my past SSB mains: :4falcon:(64) :4marth:,:4ganondorf:(Melee) :snake:(Brawl, but N.A. here so don't mind)

4) Both lists put together:
:4falcon::4ganondorf::4zss::4marth::4charizard::4lucina::4gaw::4link::4myfriends::4littlemac::4duckhunt::4shulk::4fox::4falco::4palutena::4wario::4mewtwo::4pit:
Now I picked out 18 of all 52, which is still a lot. Time to reduce it!

5) Reducing the selection:

Now I played around with every char in training mode and learned them more and then played 10 Smash vs lvl 7-8 CPU (Battlefield, no items, 2 stock). That way I could learn the playstyles of the characters more. After this part I reduced those 18 to 7:
:4falcon::4zss::4marth::4lucina::4palutena::4gaw::4ganondorf:

6) Further reducing the selection:
Now I went online and played "For Fun" with all 7 of them (5-10 matches each) and looked how they work against human players.
After all matches I now chose 3 chars as my mains:
:4lucina::4marth::4palutena:

Conclusion:

It took me some time (Around 2-3 weeks) but it was fun so: no regrets :)
Note that I haven't played "For Glory" yet. Maybe I would have chosen differently out of the 7 if I played FG instead of FF. Now to actually use this thread for what it was created for: Can you guys comment if my procedure to choosing a main is a good or bad one and grade the 3 chars I chose. Let me just say something about them so you can see my thinking behind it.

Lucina/Marth:
I mained Marth in Melee and second main in Brawl, so I still knew the playstyle well. Lucina and Marth are very similar but I read the threads here as well and know their distinctive differences. In "For Fun" I had a little more success with Lucina than with Marth which lead to her being in front of him on my list. My playstyle with them was basically: getting close to enemy and doing some quick grabs or tilts. I like to pressurize my enemy, and by being so close that my char is basically inside him/her and am blocking/evading his attacks and then punish him and when he gets down I'm close again. It's fun seeing some players frantically get away and are open for attacks :). It doesn't work everytime, I'm still relatively new to competitive smash, maybe with some practice.

Palutena:
Her playstyle is completely different than the others. She is a full defensive character that is difficult to master. She has the potential to be top but is hard to learn and other characters (higher tiers) are easier to use and thus chosen more often. I know I have no right to have said this since I haven't mastered her in any way yet, so I apologize if I insulted anyone of you.
Anyway: I chose her as my third main because I accept the challenge to someday master her and use her well. Maybe I switch her to be in front Lucina and Marth if that happens.

Thanks for reading

P.S.: First post here! ;)
To spoiler something, [SPOILER ] [/ SPOILER] omitting the spaces, as so:

I didn't read the rest of your post. Sorry.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Just to clarify I have been trying to find that one random character. I just have the mentality that says I should stay away from higher tier characters. That's all.
I've read your earlier post. I'm not going to go into too much detail on this here because this isn't the right thread, but this game requires a very different mindset than PM and Melee, especially in regards to the neutral and punish games.

Anyways, before I help out with your main, I have one question that I'd like to ask. Why don't you want to play a high or top tier character?

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
I've read your earlier post. I'm not going to go into too much detail on this here because this isn't the right thread, but this game requires a very different mindset than PM and Melee, especially in regards to the neutral and punish games.

Anyways, before I help out with your main, I have one question that I'd like to ask. Why don't you want to play a high or top tier character?
It's the general mentality that states, "Every character is considered viable, therefor every character can win in higher play."
My mentality states that essentially players that use higher tier characters are going the "easy way" (No offense guys). Games are supposed to be challenging, (though this is subjective) and so I feel I am meeting challenging criteria by winning with characters that are low tiers, or at the very least below middle tier. I am fully aware why players use higher tier characters in regards to players that simply don't care if their character is good.
And just to clarify, I understand that taking lower tier characters can cause more "heartache". My general mentality for these sort of games is quite odd though I admit.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
It's the general mentality that states, "Every character is considered viable, therefor every character can win in higher play."
My mentality states that essentially players that use higher tier characters are going the "easy way" (No offense guys). Games are supposed to be challenging, (though this is subjective) and so I feel I am meeting challenging criteria by winning with characters that are low tiers, or at the very least below middle tier. I am fully aware why players use higher tier characters in regards to players that simply don't care if their character is good.
And just to clarify, I understand that taking lower tier characters can cause more "heartache". My general mentality for these sort of games is quite odd though I admit.
Alright. Thanks for telling me.

If you want a character that is difficult to play, highly technical, and is, at best, mid tier, one character you might be interested in playing would have to be Palutena. The one thing that I think might be a turnoff for you is the fact that, while learning her, she is generally a defensive character. She is capable of some offensive play once you have a decent understanding of her moveset, but many of her attacks are extremely unsafe on both miss and shield, so you won't be able to play aggressively with her unless you put in a lot of time with her.

Last edited:

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Alright. Thanks for telling me.

If you want a character that is difficult to play, highly technical, and is, at best, mid tier, one character you might be interested in playing would have to be Palutena. The one thing that I think might be a turnoff for you is the fact that, while learning her, she is generally a defensive character. She is capable of some offensive play once you have a decent understanding of her moveset, but many of her attacks are extremely unsafe on both miss and shield, so you won't be able to play aggressively with her unless you put in a lot of time with her.
Do you have any other suggestions? I try to play more rush-down characters - though I suppose Palutena wouldn't be a bad idea.

Top Bottom