• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas General Discussion

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
Lol.

They do have similar nairs, though. They also both get royally screwed by marth.

Zman is correct as well.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
The Training Grounds have not yet acquired anybody willing to teach Lucas to students. We need knowledgeable Lucas's to come down atleast for five minutes, and see if they are interested in helping improve the community.

The Training Grounds - Improving our Community

:) Thank you in advance. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Guys, the day has come!!!!!!!! The FINAL metaknight vote is underway in the SBR and in a gernal brawl Disc board. This is your chance to eliminate metaknight ONCE AND FOR ALL. As a fellow low tier i think we understand metaknight needs to go. So please join the PRO-BAN side and vote metaknight out of this game.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=242903

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I'd like to hear what you say, as a low tier, that makes you anti-ban... purely for insight and not to defend pro-ban

Levitas

the moon
what makes you think that lucas will be more viable with metaknight gone?

I assume that you believe that everyone should vote in a way that makes them able to place better, and that's not really the right way either.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I'm actually more interested about seeing how the meta-game changes without meta-knight... I'm not in it for Lucas or anything. I'd actually prefer to see a temporary ban on MK to see how the changes for others... but for now... I have to vote on ban

but I see your point and it is extremely valid. I'm not closed minded.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Can someone post thier thoughts about fighting IC's with Lucas. I play Olimar but, i've been thinking about switching to Lucas vs Ic's(he's my second) because I feel that the matchup is overall better.

It just seems Lucas has the appropriate tools to deal with fighting them.
PK Fire: when shielded wrong Nana can get hit.
Nair is able to just go in, and mess up their plans because when a Nair lands between them they get sent separate ways and this can lead to something delicious. I feel that Lucas' ability to just destroy Nana at certain percents.
One thing I just absolutely love is Bthrowpoing Popo, and how nana just seems to want to run into my Usmash.

lil cj

Smash Lord
I think ICs are one of the most dangerous characters in brawl,
but Lucas can handle them. Just stay in the air and nair like crazy to seperate them.
And when Nana is alone upsmash her, she dies at some crazy low %s.
My advice focus on Nana,dont worry about Popo til Nana is dead.
Dair is a good option too, its hard to punish Lucas' dair.
Also note that Lucas can psi magnet their ice breath and get a ton of health back, but I wouldnt try it, magnet has lag after it and it would risk you getting grabbed
Other than that just space with PK fire and run away.

Thats all I know...Ive only played one good IC player lol

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
if you keep approaching with nair, then you're going to get pivot grabbed.

Our Dair < Their Uair

you can just magnet cancel the blizzard.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
not looking for tips :]
Why would Lucas' dair go through upair, when Metaknight's doesn't lol.

but if anything you shou;dn't be dairing their uair, you bit the uair and then fair it. This because Fair has more priority, and also if they air dodge you get a chance to punish, because they will most likely do it again.

Rachmaninav89

Smash Apprentice
I don't have too much experience playing against good ice climbers, but when ever I played a few, using pkt as well as your neutral b freeze can throw off the ice climbers a bit. And pkt does a great job seperating them, because you can get rid of nana quickly once she's seperated from popo. Oh, and nair does a good job of that too. Other than that I don't know what else. I would think pk freeze would do well since nana has a slower reaction time, so you can freeze her for a few and seperate them. Idk if what I wrote was said, too lazy to read at moment lol.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Lucas MAINS!!!!!

Would you help me out for a second?

I am collecting low tier tournament results(1vs1/2vs2) and will be making Power ranking out of it. If any of you KNOW of a low tier tournament or event, would you please PM me the link? Also, if you know WHO use what character, could you let me know in the PM? Thanks.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Lucas MAINS!!!!!

Would you help me out for a second?

I am collecting low tier tournament results(1vs1/2vs2) and will be making Power ranking out of it. If any of you KNOW of a low tier tournament or event, would you please PM me the link? Also, if you know WHO use what character, could you let me know in the PM? Thanks.
Ok:)
If I find one I'll send it to you
Sorry the Lucas boards have been dead lately lol

themrskills

Smash Apprentice
Ok:)

Sorry the Lucas boards have been dead lately lol
Lately? Pretty much for the past history of having Lucas boards. I think we had like, three-four months of sparked discussion and advancement in the metagame and then it was we poured straight bleach into a tiny fishbowl to watch the poor thing suffer before it died.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Xyro, I'm using Lucas in a low tier tourney on Saturday, if I make it.

I'll give you the results.

You should make a thread about it.

Veysey

Smash Cadet
If you all don't mind, do you think you could answer a few questions?

I've never played a particularly competitive game even though I've Smashed right since the N64 release but I have become very fond of all Lucas has to offer so I started to seek out new ways to develop my game. B-Sticking was what I found.

First question: Roughly how long is it going to take me to get used to B-Sticking? My game dropped horribly since I started practicing (obviously) and I'm wondering roughly how many hours I'll be plugging in before I can lift my head without shame again :p

Second Question: Whats the best alternate jumping method when using B-Stick? I've tried a large assortment of combinations - all with some fault or another. Whats the easiest one overall?

And last but not least: For someone whos never been competitive enough to elevate his game past dominating a level 9 - whats the first thing I should focus on improving as a Lucas?

Thanks for all the help/replies. As a side note, I'm absolutely in love with the PSIMagnet/Fire retreat with the B-Stick. It's added so much to an already deep character.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
1. It didn't take too long for me. In melee i used the c-stick only for dsmash, and i used to think Lucas' dsmash was horrible, so at the very beginning i wasn't using c-stick at all. B-stick was the reason why i started using that stick
2. I use a classic control, and i have 2 buttons to jump, A and ZL, tap jump off. ZL for wavezap, double dair and FH magnet pull, with A i jump normally, but i can press easily 2 buttons at the same time, like A and B (attack) to jump cancelled item throw or zap jump with item, and A and X (special) to zap jump. The idea is that you are able to press 2 buttons at the same time in a easier way.
3. Learn the basics first, DI, spacing, stale moves, % you die/kill, recovery and all that stuff. Then you can go further with the advanced tech, like thunderslinding, magnet pull, wavebouncing, zap jump, etc.

Veysey

Smash Cadet
Oh wow, thanks a lot for the classic controller suggestion I really appreciate it. That might be perfect. Honestly, the thought never even crossed my mind since Melee + GCN controller is so ingrained in me. I actually used the c-stick all the time for air attacks and quick smashes so a completely new controller might be exactly what I need to kick the old habits.

Whats the best way to test/practice if you're DIing correctly? I always thought I was alright at it but honestly could never tell.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

Edit: Set up the Classic controller, definitely going to take some getting used to but also feels very doable. I especially like the fact that the L/R buttons don't require so much pressure.

Levitas

the moon
If you died, something went wrong.

Try not to die, and you'll end up DIing better.

I find that my lucas tends to die at about 180 percent off the top corners, which is a good sign for DI, as you should pretty much only die in the corners or bottom of the screen (barring some exceptions)

Top Bottom