• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas General Discussion

Tikao

Smash Ace
but Lucas in mid-tier means no Lucas in lowtier-events :( ... Yeah, Lucas should be mid-tier, but it would make me sad anyway D: ... then i have to play Jiggz only in Low-tiers D: ... hmm, have to train my mightypuff anyway, but need Lucas D: ... Ness & Lucas for psi-Tier (allowed in Low-tier, but better than them anyway xD ... hmm makes no sense) ... maybe psi-tier-events ... Lowtier-chars + Ness & Lucas ... ahhh don't know ._.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
If they're worth being in mid, there's just nothing really keeping them in low except for this.... don't worry, getting out of low at the cost of not being able to enter LT tournies trades off for them being considered slightly more viable. :)

Also, LT tournies are becoming less and less anyway so it's ok.

Tikao

Smash Ace
beeing placed in the F-tier (bottom of mid-tier) is the worst placing in the entire Tier-list ... to strong for low-tier events, and in mid-tiers, chars like DK or Wolf etc. are just bad for you ... yeah, no marf and stuff, but still bad, and in low-tiers it's like ... oh Mario, nice MU's ... it's to help some "bad" chars to be played and get some nice placings ... but the Chars in F-tier still have a some counters in mid-tiers ... lt+ tier events are awesome ... lowtiers + F-tier ... but they're not that common ... if Lucas would be in the F-Tier, it would be bad D: ... but he belongs in it imo, so ... meh

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
If Low Tier events aren't that common anymore, you might as well bump him to mid tier cause it's not gonna matter anymore though. :p

Anyway, for those Lucas mains who don't converse with our PSI brethren, I just got a wii-u, with Nintendo-land (SO MUCH MORE FUN THAN I THOUGHT), Zombie-u and NSMB.U

So hyped. :D

Tikao

Smash Ace
speaking of the wii-u ... it could be that Lucas doesn't get included in ssb4 ;_; ... didn't they said something like "we wanna concentrate on balancing the chars" and something like "we won't put so many new chars in the game" and then something about "some chars are too similar to each other" ... so they don't wanna increase the number of chars that much, but i don't think there wouldn't be some new chars, so they could throw some chars out of the ssb series who are new and are similar to another char ... this could mean Lucas ... hope it's not correct ;_____;

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I doubt they'll throw Lucas. He's a much loved character in Japan as far as I know and he's arguably not as much of a clone as others.

Don't worry, he'll probably be fine. If he's not, i'll murder someone!

Jokes! But i'll be pretty mad.

But with Sakurai asking people to give him time, it's not like we're expecting a date for Brawl yet, there's no delays to be had at this point in time. Basically, Sakurai has all the time he wants to design his characters so I doubt Lucas would get cut due to time either.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
The fact that this place is dead shows how much we need an active mod. =C

Sorry for the double post but I think this thread, and this board should get back up on it's feet, especially since we're:

a. Apparently running behind in the MU panel discussions

and

b. We're very likely to move up to mid tier in the next tier list, WHICH HAS BEEN STARTED. Why aren't we discussing this, peeps?

MrMax

Smash Rookie
I'm new here, and although Brawl has been out a while, I have struggled to pick a main, but Lucas has always been my most consistent character. (Don't make fun of me for taking 4 years to finally decide that)
Anyways, I really want this to stay alive too because Lucas is just such a cool character :shades:
I mean all the AT's you can use just make him too much fun. So lets get down to discussing the MU's :bee:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hey there and welcome, MrMax! Sure, we can discuss MUs if you like! ^^

What do people think of the ICs MU? I was thinking this MU might not be a -2...

MrMax

Smash Rookie
I actually think a -2 is pretty accurate.

The chaingrab is always going to be OP, not much we can do about that, especially with Lucas' slow release animation. With good spacing (pk thunder and pk fire) the match is survivable, but ICs easily still have the edge. Lucas' weight screws him over with the killing power on the ICs.

As far as stages go, I really like Norfair, that's usually my go to stage. I've seen some people like Rainbow Cruise for this MU, but I feel like Lucas' recovery is not suited for it.

Honestly I wish there was an easy way around the chaingrab :(

Jamwa

Smash Champion
lucas 2 fast for IC's, we have tether grab which is very helpful in this mu, and we punish nana SO hard if they get split.

also PKT gimps popo easily, you dont have to tailwhip him because nana grabs the ledge and he has no method to get onto it

the chaingrab can be avoided easily with PKjump, retreating pkfires, nair which poke the shield, and dairs to space. also SH airdodge is good for maneuvering, because aerial speed 2gud.

also PKT on a stage like smashville is so good, you can use it whilst the platform is retreating and its practically unpunishable.

this match is won by literally running away and using spells

only thing you have to watch out for it uair, which pk magnet is good for stalling in the air

KoozyK

Smash Ace
Okay i had a dream the other night and im pretty sure this is possible but the tech skill required is god like.

Imagine being in teams with any body that can heal.
lets uses pika for now since this is how i saw it in my dream

pika uses thunder right beside you. Magnet> jump cancel out of magnet > down tilt.

It resets pika to give another thunder. Gives a little percent but no knockback.

random but if this was ever pulled off, id be legit.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Okay i had a dream the other night and im pretty sure this is possible but the tech skill required is god like.

Imagine being in teams with any body that can heal.
lets uses pika for now since this is how i saw it in my dream

pika uses thunder right beside you. Magnet> jump cancel out of magnet > down tilt.

It resets pika to give another thunder. Gives a little percent but no knockback.

random but if this was ever pulled off, id be legit.
i wish my dreams were this relevant to the real world

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Lucas is annoying because hes too short and my gyros go over his head and hit my team mate in the face.... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU -raises fist at Jamwa-

This thread needs some moar love because it looks inactive. lawl. Lucas was my first main though! ;o. Should play him again someday...

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
damn how the hell is a dude gonna pk fire toon link's shield what a jerk

Emi Hazel

Smash Rookie
Heylo all. I'm a Lucas fan... I am not sure if I will stick with him but I want to get very good with him. Big fan of his aerial performance.

I'm awkward, not sure what else to say? But yay Lucas.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Ah Emi, so you did introduce yourself here. Awesome! Nice to meet you and welcome to the Lucas community! ^_^

Lucas is awesome. And yay, looks like he'll be going up in the next tier list. So happy. <3

Anyway, welcome again and have fun!!

Emi Hazel

Smash Rookie
I did! Thanks for the warm welcome, Luco. Glad he's going up. this character definitely has potential. I like him a lot. Too bad the Brawl scene here in Portland is dead, from what I've heard. I want more practice with him. I have trouble with grabbing, not sure how good his grab is, I know it can be used for recovery and I am working on that.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I did! Thanks for the warm welcome, Luco. Glad he's going up. this character definitely has potential. I like him a lot. Too bad the Brawl scene here in Portland is dead, from what I've heard. I want more practice with him. I have trouble with grabbing, not sure how good his grab is, I know it can be used for recovery and I am working on that.
Ahh yes you'll have to learn the Lucas ropes! ;)

For grabbing, do you know what pivot grabbing is? It drastically reduces Lucas' grabbing time and it's very useful, only slightly worse than Yoshi who has the best pivot grab in the game.

Basically run one way, then smash the movement stick in the other direction and at the exact same time grab and you'll do a pivot grab. It literally lasts like a third of the time of Lucas' normal running grab and perhaps half of his standing grab. =D

If you already know it, let me know. I'll be happy to help you learn as much as you can! Whenever you've mastered a technique, feel free to come back and ask for another one.

I'll leave you with this as well, the zap jump, one of Lucas' greatest recovery assets but incredibly hard to pull off reliably. Even I can only get it 70% of the time or so. :p

You have to use your second jump and PK fire within 1 frame after jumping. Basically, at the same time use your second jump and PK fire in one direction and you'll do it.

And trust me, you'll KNOW when you do it. I'll leave you a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t50h6zfkuUE

It's an old video but it gives you an idea. ^_^

Absolutely last thing, Lucas' rope snake can indeed be used for recovery (press grab within a reasonable distance from the ledge and rope snake will catch it). It has some drawbacks though and so is mostly better for mix-ups (but that can come later): it doesn't have incredible range and it extends his hitboxes - effectively the snake is like another part of Lucas and can be hit as such when he first brings it out to tether to the ledge.

Emi Hazel

Smash Rookie

For grabbing, do you know what pivot grabbing is? It drastically reduces Lucas' grabbing time and it's very useful, only slightly worse than Yoshi who has the best pivot grab in the game.

Basically run one way, then smash the movement stick in the other direction and at the exact same time grab and you'll do a pivot grab. It literally lasts like a third of the time of Lucas' normal running grab and perhaps half of his standing grab. =D

If you already know it, let me know. I'll be happy to help you learn as much as you can! Whenever you've mastered a technique, feel free to come back and ask for another one.

I'll leave you with this as well, the zap jump, one of Lucas' greatest recovery assets but incredibly hard to pull off reliably. Even I can only get it 70% of the time or so. :p

You have to use your second jump and PK fire within 1 frame after jumping. Basically, at the same time use your second jump and PK fire in one direction and you'll do it.

And trust me, you'll KNOW when you do it. I'll leave you a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t50h6zfkuUE

It's an old video but it gives you an idea. ^_^

Absolutely last thing, Lucas' rope snake can indeed be used for recovery (press grab within a reasonable distance from the ledge and rope snake will catch it). It has some drawbacks though and so is mostly better for mix-ups (but that can come later): it doesn't have incredible range and it extends his hitboxes - effectively the snake is like another part of Lucas and can be hit as such when he first brings it out to tether to the ledge.
You're awesome! I'll go try all of this stuff out next time someone actually wants to play... .___.'' I am new to my area and there is not a big Brawl scene here, so....AHG.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Awww thanks!! *embarrassed* ^_^

If you want to try it out sooner, none of those techniques need an opponent or anything so feel free to try them out in training mode when you want! =D

Bluekandy

Smash Journeyman
FAE keeps quitting... and I'll betcha even if Mekos and other were introduced here they wouldn't stay. I can't believe this is dead overall though. D:

Anyways, I can do just about everything except double-jump cancel XD I'm not the best fighter but I've learned his weird techs and stuff ;__; I love to nair dusterjump :3 I've gotten a lot better at it than the normal magnet dusterjump. And same here, PK Zap Jump only comes to me about 70% of the time first try. After awhile though, I can do it quite consistently. Unfortunately it doesn't help me much. I hate competitive Brawl, so therefore most of my "good" Lucas combos are on CPU's, or rarely basic brawl. :p

Anyways, hello ^^ And thanks Luco for reminding me to post here. :3

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
Hey to all the new posters.

Sorry to everyone else that I haven't been posting at all recently, I really haven't played Brawl since January. I could probably stop by more often though and talk more, I saw there was a period when no one said anything for like two weeks.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014

Wow I have to disagree with you Luco,don't forget about Olimar,he has the best pivot grab in the game,Yoshi is 2nd.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Wow I have to disagree with you Luco,don't forget about Olimar,he has the best pivot grab in the game,Yoshi is 2nd.
Ah sorry, I meant in terms of speed haha. Sorry yes, Olimar as a whole has the best pivot grab, followed by yoshi, followed by Lucas, followed by the rest of the cast. :p ^_^

@FAE: Two weeks? Was it really that short? Goodness it felt so much longer. @.@

Anyway, v8 of the tier list is out peeps and Lucas is in mid tier. But i'm not really celebrating. Why? Because he didn't actually move up in terms of position. He's still 30th. Considering he's doing more than Luigi/PT, I think he should at the very least be above them. =/

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Hey to all the new posters.

Sorry to everyone else that I haven't been posting at all recently, I really haven't played Brawl since January. I could probably stop by more often though and talk more, I saw there was a period when no one said anything for like two weeks.
it was more like 3 months but whatever helooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOO

Have you stopped playing because you got bored of smash or is life more important?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Anyway, v8 of the tier list is out peeps and Lucas is in mid tier. But i'm not really celebrating. Why? Because he didn't actually move up in terms of position. He's still 30th. Considering he's doing more than Luigi/PT, I think he should at the very least be above them. =/

I'm actually not happy,I can't use Lucas in Low Tiers tourneys anymore.

Bluekandy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, being classified as "mid-tier" isn't really good in this case.

FAE you should get on Skype, we talk about you sometimes in Shingasm XD

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Guyysss... a character's participation in a side event should affect their placing... we all knew Lucas was mid tier material ages ago and that's where he should be, ya know?

But if you MUST have him then... you know TOs can decide to use low mid tier (Lucas, PT, Luigi) in low tier tournies if they want right?

Happy? :3

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
but Lucas in mid-tier means no Lucas in lowtier-events :( ... Yeah, Lucas should be mid-tier, but it would make me sad anyway D: ... then i have to play Jiggz only in Low-tiers D: ... hmm, have to train my mightypuff anyway, but need Lucas D: ... Ness & Lucas for psi-Tier (allowed in Low-tier, but better than them anyway xD ... hmm makes no sense) ... maybe psi-tier-events ... Lowtier-chars + Ness & Lucas ... ahhh don't know ._.
I think a good question is "why would you ever not play jigglypuff anyway"

Tikao

Smash Ace
well, i never played lucas in low-tiers , i planned to do so, but waaay to easy to train him ... jiggz is my secret main anyway (the feeling when you beat a medda-knight with mightypuff is just awesome

Top Bottom