• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Sudai

Stuff here
4 stock melee matches average about 4-4.5min. 3 stock brawl matches average 5-6min. At worst both games last 8 min (unless Brawl timer got changed to 7min on standard, I don't remember but that sounds familiar). Brawl is just a much slower game that rewards defensive play over offensive play to a large degree, this is what causes the time discrepancy. Conversely, Smash 64 it even more punishing than melee and for games to end around 4-5min on average, they use 5 stocks. Project M is extremely similar to melee (as it's a mod intended to make Brawl play like Melee) and uses 4 stocks. I can see it getting campier and needing to be changed to 3 but that's just a potential future.

The reason people want to reduce the stocks is because it will drastically reduce the game time and make it take a similar time to finish a set as Melee (and a good portion of fighters) so that tournaments can be done too quickly as most tournaments for any smash game has a tendency to run waayyy late in to the night.

Last edited:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I'm glad you are showing us your understanding of the subject.

Sudai

Stuff here
As for time out, the winner is the player with higher stock amounts. If stocks are even, the player with the lower % wins. If % are even, a 1 stock game is played on the same stage.

Robert, honestly I'm glad you're super curious, not many people ask this many questions when they join. If I have spare time at the shrimp 5 and you're there I'll try to answer as many questions as you have about the game and tournaments in general. I may get tired of answering questions at some point though lol.

Last edited:

Robert Lee

Smash Apprentice
How about this special situation? Suppose there's 4 battles and you have to win 2 or more battles. But, say one player won 2 battles and the other play won 1 battle and they are on their 4th battle. On the 4th battle, if the other player that won 1 battle won and now they both have 2 wins each, what happens next?

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
How about this special situation? Suppose there's 4 battles and you have to win 2 or more battles. But, say one player won 2 battles and the other play won 1 battle and they are on their 4th battle. On the 4th battle, if the other player that won 1 battle won and now they both have 2 wins each, what happens next?
I thought you told BSL you weren't asking any more questions

Magi_

Smash Apprentice
The only situation you will see this in is sets that are, "best out of 5." The person who wins 3 out of the 5 games will win the set. In the situation that they both have 2 wins, they will play a 5th game and that will decide who wins the set.

Last edited:

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
I played Mario kart 8 today and I'm thoroughly happy except they took my wheelies away (unless you are boosting).
You know why they took it away and nerfed bikes (less speed differential between bikes and karts and less inside drift)? Because people said bikes are stupid and need to be done away with. Nintendo listened and released Mario kart 7 with no bikes and then for Mario kart 8 the fans were like bring back bikes and they did.
We can't even get a god damned wave dash in this *****

Also why is battle mode done on race tracks now instead of battle courses.

Last edited:

'V'

Smash Lord
The casuals are taking over, man. They whined about snaking in MKDD and in MKDS too. They just want to be in an advantage all of the time for games that they're only gonna play for like a month and then never play again. Same thing happened with Smash, Marvel, etc. Such bullcrap...

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
As a game it's great. Buy it.

That being said, Mario Kart wii felt so much quicker.

One major complaint, the games item distribution system is complete bull****.
12th place here's some triple shrooms.
2nd place Here's a crazy 8 (star, bomb, banana, mushroom, blooper, red shell, green shell, and coin)
Stuff like that happened every race without fail. And the fact that you can't hold items (get two at once) makes good items that much more valuable.

'V'

Smash Lord
Robert, Mario Kart 8 is an amazing casual game. I highly recommend it.

Oh and RJ, this totally happened today: I got a Lightning Bolt in 2nd Place. No joke. Yeah item distribution is crap.

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
Guess I'm too late for the MK talk, but I feel that there's been some points thus far I don't agree with, so I'll add my 2 cents.

Rules including scrooging, LGL, etc are not Metaknight specific problems; they are brawl problems, and as such, shouldn't be cited as reasons for a ban. Pit, g&w, DK have massively exploitable ledge play. The ledge is just too good in brawl.
That being said, MK is certainly too strong in many areas.
The worst part of MK is the ability to have a truly fair and proper stage list is hindered by 6 jumps, spammable and easily comboed pressure, and 50 recovery options.

Sudai

Stuff here
Even ROB's edge stall is kind of ******** and he has to get back on to the stage to recharge after using his up-b for 3s total.

Robert, I don't want you to stop asking questions, but asking so many in the thread is probably a bad idea. If you have any more before the tourney you can P:M me and I'll try to answer for you.

Logz

Smash Cadet
Mario Kart 8 is amazing. My one gripe besides the item distribution is the fact that there's no on screen map besides on the Wii U gamepad, which sucks because you don't want to be looking down at your lap while you are racing. I ran off the track many times doing this just to check how far behind people were in relation to me. Just wasn't a smart decision by Nintendo imo.

Captain Zack

Banned via Administration
NNID
Chibi_Zack
So I was playing in an MK8 tourney yesterday and someone got a golden mushroom in 2nd, last lap. I just rage quit, no more plz.

Robert Lee

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, the item roulette seems like the one from Super Mario Kart except in Mario Kart 8, it could be good or bad since there's a lot of good and bad items.

'V'

Smash Lord
Regarding The Cove monthly, can I just bring a cube/melee or will we need a CRT/sure protector plug thing as well?
Due to so many other events happening, we're only gonna be able to run the tourney on 2 setups. The Cove already has powerstrips that we can use, so I would suggest just bringing the gamecube just in case. I'm bringing my CRT and I think Diego's bringing his too, so I think we'll be good on setups.

Magi_

Smash Apprentice
Anybody gonna be offering some controller cleaning soon? My L-Trig has been showing a lot more resistance than it should (and I only use L.)

I have no idea how to do it myself, don't want to break the controller.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Buy a Tri-wing screwdriver they cost like 2$
Or burrow one
GC controllers are really simple inside you won't mess it up taking it apart so long as you pay attention to how you're taking it apart
You'll also need a small Phillips to undo the screws for the shoulder buttons but most peeps or their parents will have one laying around somewhere
You going to shrimp/summercon btw?

Last edited:

Magi_

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, going to both. (finally can get that 5$ mm)

The trigger isn't even an issue excluding like the first 10 minutes of me playing for the day. I probably won't **** with it until I lose a MM/Tourney match because of it.

Top Bottom