• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Samsora

Smash Apprentice
****Calling out to any PR panelists***

Summercon is coming up soon (late June). Now is the best time to get together and forumulate a new PR (Brawl, Melee, 64, and P:M). We've had signficant growth since the beginning of the year and the PR needs to be updated to reflect said growth. It will also help all the TO's at Summercon seed people as accurately as possible when creating their respective brackets.
Wonder how ill rank, but only been to two tournies and I'm ready to be put on the hard side of the bracket T_T

Random Samus Kid

Smash Rookie
Hey everybody, Risk here. Figured it's about time I start getting on this site and posting more often. Ben and I are super excited to start something here in Laffy, but the place has got to be perfect! Glad to hear the idea is so positively welcomed. ^_^ We'll keep you posted as soon as something develops.

ChKn

Smash Ace
We should play wifi soon again
Especially since it ends in 18 days lolol.

I hate yo-yoing from playing and not playing. It gets so annoying that I have the resolve at one point, then it's gone the next. If I get some time and stay in the city during the summer, I'll try to get a crew established. My friend and I want to do something along those lines.

Laffy people:
If you guys are UL Students, you may be able to find a place that is large enough to host tournaments. Aside from that, Level-up's staff, from when I used to run events there, was very supportive of tournaments being run over there. They don't have a large room though.

Last edited:

Random Samus Kid

Smash Rookie
Especially since it ends in 18 days lolol.

I hate yo-yoing from playing and not playing. It gets so annoying that I have the resolve at one point, then it's gone the next. If I get some time and stay in the city during the summer, I'll try to get a crew established. My friend and I want to do something along those lines.

Laffy people:
If you guys are UL Students, you may be able to find a place that is large enough to host tournaments. Aside from that, Level-up's staff, from when I used to run events there, was very supportive of tournaments being run over there. They don't have a large room though.
Yeah I'd like to set up a weekly night we could all gather and play friendlies. That may be a possibility at my place, depending on what day and how late we want to go. As far as a tournament venue goes, I wish I could have taken advantage of ULL's campus while i was a student, but we're both out of school now. Power Up is cool, but yeah, not big enough. We'll keep brainstorming!

D

Deleted member

im SO PISSED. i had a huge post about smashcon and the smash community and when i clicked "post reply" OF COURSE THE WEBSITE FREAKED OUT AND NOW ITS GONE. ****. 45 mins gone. and ive been putting that off for a month. **** **** ****. this is all im willing to write now.

to all those involved in smashcon:
Make sure to find people people to run every tournament.
Basically i feel like Erick tries to keep everything going while bomber sits at a desk and collects money (lol), and volunteers run on the tournaments for free.
At wintercon i volunteered to run melee. When i arrived, smashcon had loosely assigned Oracle to run P:M despite him saying he didnt want to do it. No one was taking sign ups or doing anything for P:M, and oracle didn't even end up coming, still, 40 kids are coming and asking me where the PM sign ups are. so i picked up the ball and ran PM and Melee. It was not fun, basically because of the level of disorganization from the TO's involving set ups and tournaments being run at the same time being us, and trying to run 4 tournaments off or like 6 set ups was literally painful. at my tournaments, when i have universal control, i can make sure everything is ran efficiently, despite usually running 5 tournaments by myself. but with only parcial control, things are go to hell if the people in charge make the wrong decisions for making things run smoothly.
in the end, if you want to make money off the community, at least have your **** together. Make sure you have people willing to run all tournaments ahead of time. That being said, I won't be running anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
im SO PISSED. i had a huge post about smashcon and the smash community and when i clicked "post reply" OF COURSE THE WEBSITE FREAKED OUT AND NOW ITS GONE. ****. 45 mins gone. and ive been putting that off for a month. **** **** ****. this is all im willing to write now.

to all those involved in smashcon:
Make sure to find people people to run every tournament.
Basically i feel like Erick tries to keep everything going while bomber sits at a desk and collects money (lol), and volunteers run on the tournaments for free.
At wintercon i volunteered to run melee. When i arrived, smashcon had loosely assigned Oracle to run P:M despite him saying he didnt want to do it. No one was taking sign ups or doing anything for P:M, and oracle didn't even end up coming, still, 40 kids are coming and asking me where the PM sign ups are. so i picked up the ball and ran PM and Melee. It was not fun, basically because of the level of disorganization from the TO's involving set ups and tournaments being run at the same time being us, and trying to run 4 tournaments off or like 6 set ups was literally painful. at my tournaments, when i have universal control, i can make sure everything is ran efficiently, despite usually running 5 tournaments by myself. but with only parcial control, things are go to hell if the people in charge make the wrong decisions for making things run smoothly.
in the end, if you want to make money off the community, at least have your **** together. Make sure you have people willing to run all tournaments ahead of time. That being said, I won't be running anything.
^Noted.

Just to give you some feedback:
1) Given the circumstance of this past wintercon, I did volunteer to just take venue fee and then send people off to wherever they wanted to go. Afterwards, I did take over keeping track of brackets while Jnig (who is my co-TO) played his matches. At previus smashcons, I collected venue and Brawl sign-up money. If there's something you feel like I'm not doing, please feel free to let me know and I'll make a mental note of it to work on it.

2) Thanks for stepping up and running P:M for us. If we can't manage to find more TO's to run an individual event, then we will just assign additional tournaments for our available TOs to run. Sorry if it was an inconvenience for you, I had no knowlege that our assigned P:M TO bailed.

3) Concerning the set-ups and the tournaments themselves; not too long ago, we had a meeting to review our performance at Wintercon and we all agreed the logistics were sub-par, even with the two hour delay, we still ran into a couple of problems. There were multiple factors, but at the top of my head we are going to help solve this by doing the following: create a better schedule with major events spread out, better manage our set-ups by converting set-ups where needed, and also enforcing the "priority rule" - where certain games (particularly smash) takes priority over another game in the event of a bracket hold up, and lastly (as you mentioned before), having people on the same page. Additionally, we are going to try and find ways to direct people better to their desired TO, I've noticed this for a while now, and I've had people who know I'm the Brawl TO, come up to me wanting to sign up for melee.

4) Yes, you are right, over the past couple of years, we have been fortunate to recieve growing support from the community and people are giving us money to provide a service for them, and we are still slipping up on a few things. We owe everyone that much to continue to improve and become better as an organization, to grow to provide fun tournaments for everyone to enjoy. Based on my observation since I started helping out at the smashcons over the years, I've noticed it improve little by little. Make no mistake Taylor, we at smashcon are constantly working to improve our performance, so I thank you for your concerns and feedback.

SD Grandmaster Hero

Smash Apprentice
Hey everybody, Risk here. Figured it's about time I start getting on this site and posting more often. Ben and I are super excited to start something here in Laffy, but the place has got to be perfect! Glad to hear the idea is so positively welcomed. ^_^ We'll keep you posted as soon as something develops.
Do you guys want to have just Brawl, or Brawl, Melee, and PM?

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
no double posting is when you post twice in the same thread with no posts in between.

"there's an edit button if you want to add content to a thread and you were the last poster"

also DF sorry you got bodied on stream ;c

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I am hella disappointed In my performance on stream
I couldn't take a game off mango
I dropped so much elementary stuff like Dthrow CGs on fox with like big reaction and regrab window
If I were playing properly every first grab should have been converted to a kill
And if he's forced to side-b onstage too I should be able to grab and still convert to a kill, or just chuck him off and edgeguard

oathkeeper005

Smash Cadet
NNID
Oath_X
I'm down for anything in Lafayette assuming I can get off work.

Also, I somehow have an extra Mayflash Adapter for Wiimote, I haven't been out of town recently so I assume it must be have come from a Lafayette tournament.

Last edited:

Samsora

Smash Apprentice
JNIG AND BRAWLMAN YOU DID GOOD

Did any of you made top 8?

Last edited:

Bestrin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4656-9213-2468
Jnig is in top 8 for PM (edit) and Brawl. Anybody still in doubles? Also, PM dubs just started on stream. singles follow.

Last edited:

pickle962

Smash Lord
*sigh* cant wait till the 3ds version of smash 4 is out! Then I can start whooping some Louisianan ass! I'd challenge y'all to some project M, but I'd feel bad if I made any of you smashers cry ;) #bewarethepickle

Last edited:
Top Bottom