• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Sudai

Stuff here
You're playing him right if you're just worrying about Zoning and Spacing. The combos, tech chasing, and mindgames will flow out of that if you keep practicing. Keep-away and swatting *****es with your sword is still the way to play Marth though.

eet

Smash Ace
If you're transitioning from brawl, the biggest increase to your gameplay speed will come from mastering L-cancelled aerials. Wavedashing is decent to practice first for spacing, but is character dependent and takes more time to learn to utilize -- not that it's not supa useful. And you can still wavebounce the ***, havent seen too many people using it.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Get into a habit of pressing L every time you touch the ground.

:phone:

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't really matter, I'll explain like Taylorhj so expertly did to me a few weeks ago.

Basically there are brawlers and melee'ers. All the melee'ers are now going to be playing P:M for a long time to come. Most of the brawlers will also play P:M too because its fun and the melee'ers are back in the scene again. Then there are the brawlers that will only play brawl forever, and won't really interact with 80% of the community that plays P:M.

tl;dr: all the cool kids are playing P:M, you should too.

'V'

Smash Lord
So, I've made the event page for Sudai's Tourney. Made a last minute change to the stage list and just made it the same for Singles and Doubles. Keep in mind it is still subject to change until 48 hours before the tourney. Let me know what you guys think.

Sudai, is the time for it OK?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=322231

BSP, can you put this up on the OP please? :)

Also, anyone that thinks L-cancelling is stupid obviously hasn't played very many (if any) fighters at all. Cancels have existed ever since Street Fighter 2.

ChKn

Smash Ace
That feel when I have no clue how to wavedash or anything Melee related.

@Curlz: I got summer classes in a few weeks, then head into a ****ty fall semester.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
Meh none of it is hard, it's just about execution and fluidity. I'm picking it up ok and just started a few weeks ago.

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
I thought about this a lot, but I think L-canceling is better for the game because it allows MUCH more efficient movement and the more you're doing that, the more possibilities there are. The more possibilities there are, the deeper the game becomes.

BSP

Smash Legend
That feel when I have no clue how to wavedash or anything Melee related.

@Curlz: I got summer classes in a few weeks, then head into a ****ty fall semester.
You airdodge into the ground with the intention to slide due to the AD's momentum

Uh...if everyone starts playing P:M and brawl dies, I'll get into it, but I don't feel like picking it up atm. Not because I don't like it or anything, just no real want to do it atm.

That being said, if I'm not doing anything on the 18th (I think I graduate really close to it though), I'll definitely come to the tournament because it's still fun to watch + it's fun to hang with you guys

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
I don't think brawl will die in the near future, but I know a lot of people are going to play P:M, so I'll play it too. Not to mention the meta is really young still, so I'm not as far behind as I could be haha. And like BSP said, it's fun to hang with the melee'ers and P:M'ers.

BSP

Smash Legend
Going back and forth between the games won't hurt...right? They're basically polar opposites :(

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes I try to L-cancel stuff now but it's really not that big of a deal... Every character in P:M is fun so it's hard not to play haha.

Sudai

Stuff here
The tech skill needed for P:M is less than playing Melee. Not Brawl easy, but still easier. They carried over a lot things from brawl too like glide tossing and wave bouncing. They tried pretty hard and did a pretty good job at making sure the game's not too difficult for people with only Brawl experience to get in to.

As for thinking LCanceling is a bad concept, you must think all fighting games ever are ******** because like V said, cancels have existed for a long time in fighting games and some of them have been quite a bit more difficult to do than LCanceling while being just as important.

Okuser

Smash Ace
Just answer me this, because I honestly DON'T KNOW.

Why does it not make more sense to input the aerial of your choice immediately after jumping resulting in a lag-less landing, i.e. auto cancelling (which is completely natural, you're just jumping into the air and inputting an aerial)

Why would it EVER be better to make a simple process like that more difficult by adding an unnecessary tech to the equation (using the L-button)

Does it do something that I don't know about?

'V'

Smash Lord
I thought about this a lot, but I think L-canceling is better for the game because it allows MUCH more efficient movement and the more you're doing that, the more possibilities there are. The more possibilities there are, the deeper the game becomes.
This.

The tech skill needed for P:M is less than playing Melee. Not Brawl easy, but still easier. They carried over a lot things from brawl too like glide tossing and wave bouncing. They tried pretty hard and did a pretty good job at making sure the game's not too difficult for people with only Brawl experience to get in to.

As for thinking LCanceling is a bad concept, you must think all fighting games ever are ******** because like V said, cancels have existed for a long time in fighting games and some of them have been quite a bit more difficult to do than LCanceling while being just as important.
This.

Like bold cancelling in marvel...

ZZZZ your argument sucks.
And this. Get *****.

Sudai, is the time for your tourney ok?

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
There's also wave landing and of course wavedashing, and that allows for so much more mobility. It's better because it allows for different timings of moves to be put out with the ability to follow up just as fast as one would if it was "auto cancelled". It makes the game harder, yeah, but it makes it a lot more fun.

D

Deleted member

Just answer me this, because I honestly DON'T KNOW.

Why does it not make more sense to input the aerial of your choice immediately after jumping resulting in a lag-less landing, i.e. auto cancelling (which is completely natural, you're just jumping into the air and inputting an aerial)

Why would it EVER be better to make a simple process like that more difficult by adding an unnecessary tech to the equation (using the L-button)

i feel like you kind of answered your own question. to auto cancel you're aerial has to be put out as soon as you jump. with l cancel you can aerial anytime you want without the negative of lag. improving combo ability when chasing and needing to put out a move at the perfect time. or something as simple as juke play before a fight. i feel like its a negative to ever jump in brawl because they can make you wiff easily and then have lag, and on the opposite if you immediately aerial then youve just given up all options until you land and become predictable and punishable. l cancel just opens doors auto cancel doesnt, in short.

Sudai

Stuff here

This is a very potent question, one that I can actually answer in a way that most people wouldn't think about until you get to a high level metagame in melee (not saying my meta is that high but I do claim that I can theorize on that level, just not execute in actual gameplay).

LCancel timing can be thrown off by tilting your shield or LShielding. This dynamic is -very- important against characters like Fox and Falco as it allows you to create openings defensively. Is that Falco better than you at tech skill and holding you down? Light shield and tilt your shield up making the spot he hits your shield a different height from the ground, altering the LCancel timing and creating an opportunity for you to create an opening in an offensive opponent.

Think of the way it effects gameplay more like power shielding in Smash or advanced guarding in Marvel. It's about creating defensive options.

'V'

Smash Lord
Quoted because I love Vaughn

We still have to play Generations V, and I've caught up on the anime. I missed a lot X.X

Also, where's my pie?

Returning to my lair
<3 Adam!!

Dude, find a way to come to Sudai's and EET's for the tourney next Friday!! I'll definitely be down for playing. I'll be making pies for the occasion as well. Come and get it!!!

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Did they already put out ZSS? She looks boss as ****. I can't wait to see what they do with regular Samus.

Taylor, what you doin Friday?

Top Bottom