• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

'V'

Smash Lord
From what I understand, it's an Elo system. You input a tio file and it calculates everything for you.
An Elo system that calculates points based off each match from the TIO files you have in a folder. It's pretty amazing.

Someone change the name of the thread so that people send me their **** TIO files. =/
Now that sounds very convenient and even more elaborate.

Edit: Curlz should have LouisiANIME. He was running it. Mechacon was all done on pencil and paper. I'll ask Gary, though I doubt he remembers it.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Point systems are stupid for trying to quantify skill that can't be quantified with numbers.
Truth, but the Elo system tries to eliminate that by only allowing match-ups to influence it. Placing doesn't affect the points directly but it does indirectly (winner beats more ppl in a tourney therefore would get more points or generally have a better overall score than a person that went 3-2). I thought that Elo used a standard number for an average however as in Texas started everyone off at 1600 and 1600 is considered average. If you start at zero than there is no penalty for constantly going 0-2 at a tournament and new players are forced into the same category as people that lose often.

I do see what you're saying though Greg. That's why boxing and UFC have judges in case the standard rules of winning aren't used (i.e. KO, TKO, DQ).

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Yeah, just stating my opinion. Doesn't matter much, since things are the way they are. Just felt like posting.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Truth, but the Elo system tries to eliminate that by only allowing match-ups to influence it. Placing doesn't affect the points directly but it does indirectly (winner beats more ppl in a tourney therefore would get more points or generally have a better overall score than a person that went 3-2). I thought that Elo used a standard number for an average however as in Texas started everyone off at 1600 and 1600 is considered average. If you start at zero than there is no penalty for constantly going 0-2 at a tournament and new players are forced into the same category as people that lose often.

I do see what you're saying though Greg. That's why boxing and UFC have judges in case the standard rules of winning aren't used (i.e. KO, TKO, DQ).
reach uses what i assume is an Elo, and they start at 1000, maybe?

i need to start winning at tourneys so i dont have a low Elo like a certain someone... turaz lol

Sudai

Stuff here
Elo calculations can use different starting values and different K values (basically a constant multiplier on point cange) depending on how large you want the differences to be, how large you want the point pool to be, and how strong of a point decay formula you use.

But relatively speaking, we just need to pick a starting number and K Value then we're good. I don't think we'll need a decay value because that's only used to avoid "point campers," aka, not entering **** to keep a high point value but like, what's the point of that + just make it so people have to attend x of the last y tournies to be visible on the list and wabamalama.

But I'm just shoop bopin so w/e.

-Ran

Smash Master
I'm dropping teams as the side event for NOM for both Melee and Brawl since it never happens. I'm looking for suggestions for the side events. I'm not going to Brawl -/+ since it causes a setup to be removed from other events. Only suggest if you attend.

Brawl:
Items - 0
Low Tier - 0
Low Tier Doubles - 0
Random Only - 0

Melee
Items - 0
Low Tier - 0
Low Tier Doubles - 0
Random Only - 0

D

Deleted member

low tier teams! for 1$ per person!

or random. but the problem is its hard to get people to participate :(

Sudai

Stuff here
I'm all about just having friendlies instead of a side tourney. I've always found those to be more fun and keeps more people coming back because it's f-f-f-freeeee.

Top Bottom