• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

'V'

Smash Lord
and just some personal info, the last tournament vaughn ran was probably my favorite la tourney ive ever attended as far as tournament running is concerned.
Thanks, Taylor. I'll get around to running more as soon as next season rolls around. Gameware Monthlies are about to end this year because of Holiday sales. I plan on hosting the next big Melee tourney in January. Next month, I promised the new NBA Jam. And next month is the last one for this year.

If I explained it, it wouldn't be fun anymore though.
It was only funny for me the first time you did it. The only person here who has 100% consistently funny posts is Nick. You don't have to explain where it came from. Just stop abusing it.

Hyro

Smash Lord
OMG looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Turazrok

Smash Master
Thanks, Taylor. I'll get around to running more as soon as next season rolls around. Gameware Monthlies are about to end this year because of Holiday sales. I plan on hosting the next big Melee tourney in January. Next month, I promised the new NBA Jam. And next month is the last one for this year.

It was only funny for me the first time you did it. The only person here who has 100% consistently funny posts is Nick. You don't have to explain where it came from. Just stop abusing it.
melee good, fake internet personality banned = sad panda.

D

Deleted member

you can still live it through facebook like you have been, because no one here has to see it

eet

Smash Ace
Ive always been a fan of having tier slots of people as opposed to individual numbered tier lists. There are simply too many dynamic variables going into any given matchup (character, playstyle, level, atmosphere, if freddy took methamphetamine lol) to say for sure how a lot of matches will be played out, or that person A is better than person B.

The best and most accurate (and coincidentally, the less tension-causing) is to just group people of similar skill together. If someone thinks they can beat a person from that bracket, they better be willing to show in tournaments that they can consistently beat over 1/2 the people in the above bracket. I think people tend to look at other players from a narrow perspective - the other person vs themselves. But you have to remember to take into account how well that person plays against everyone else, as well.

I agree with Taylor on this, shoop dop. Also his posts were hilarious to me for some rsn.

And my nigga BSL can take Turok in melee any day. <3

ChKn

Smash Ace
I think for the Melee tier list, we just need to put all contenders in Hell in a Cell and see who comes out on top.

So who all's coming to HOBO this time?
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!! <333333333333333333

'V'

Smash Lord
Alright, guys. I actually feel this should be seen to everyone. I've taken all of the most recent tourneys within the past year since the first Smash Reformation up to NOM #5 and have used my statistics skills within a point system to put together an accurate tier grouping of our more active Melee players. It is mostly based off of tournament performance as well as attendance. Everyone got the same amount of points for attending and, depending on how many people entered, got points for how well they did. All of it is put together off of pure data alone, and this is what I got from it. All of these players attended AT LEAST 2 tourneys.

(Had to leave out Pritch because he no longer lives here and has not shown signs of coming back soon.)

30 players:

S - Lee Martin, Entreri, TaylorHJ

A - RSIA, Setsuma, Avery, EET, ISBS

B - Cyphus, V, Patrick, FlareFox, Pierre

C - RunFast, Nick, Zakosai, Austin, Zyfor, Candul, Mura, Ricky, Wiggins

D - ShyGuy, Hyro, Everpower, Kalzar, Battousai

E - Jiovanni, Turok, BSL

I also went and did some research as to look into what characters our region uses in tournaments the most. Based off of these 30 people, this data shows the percentage of the people who use these characters:

- 33.33%
- 26.67%
- 20.00%
- 20.00%
- 16.67%
- 10.00%
- 10.00%
- 10.00%
- 6.67%
- 6.67%
- 6.67%
- 6.67%
- 6.67%
- 6.67%
- 6.67%
- 6.67%
- 3.33%
- 3.33%
- 3.33%
- 3.33%
- 3.33%
- 0.00%
- 0.00%
- 0.00%
- 0.00%
- 0.00%

Hopefully this will give our players some new insight as to what our current metagame looks like right now.

eet

Smash Ace
Thats pretty pro, Vaughn. Youre gonna be an ace accountant or w/e. Its funny where Ganon is and that list looks pretty legit. Top 4 chars picked is no suprise =P

and dylan a basic.

'V'

Smash Lord
Do that for Brawl plz.

Oh and save your post somewhere.
I would need the tourney data from all of last year, seeing as how I haven't kept up with Brawl as much. Plus I feel that the brawl PR is much more beneficial than Melee's seeing as how there seem to be a large amount of people dropping in and out of it altogether. Melee's scene kinda just stays where it is.

If you really want it, though, I'll need some tourney data if anyone still has it all. You guys know more about who uses what characters. I'll leave the character study to you.

ChKn

Smash Ace
And give me the formula and posts and stuff.

Everyone got the same amount of points for attending and, depending on how many people entered, got points for how well they did. All of it is put together off of pure data alone, and this is what I got from it.
What about who beats who?

EDIT: I should have some stuff from Brawl from the last period, so I suppose I'll start from that point.

EDIT: I have the results from Chinese Inn in December to LOST 3 in April. I'm gonna try to find the rest from the PR period.

Kalzar

Smash Cadet
Thats pretty pro, Vaughn. Youre gonna be an ace accountant or w/e. Its funny where Ganon is and that list looks pretty legit. Top 4 chars picked is no suprise =P

and dylan a basic.
kill yourself

'V'

Smash Lord
And give me the formula and posts and stuff.

What about who beats who?

EDIT: I should have some stuff from Brawl from the last period, so I suppose I'll start from that point.
Here's where it starts to get a little jumbled up. For the attendance points, I gave them points equal to 1/4th of the number of entrants (rounded down of course).

For placings, I awarded points as such (you can use whatever point values you want):

1st - 10
2nd - 8
3rd - 6
4th - 4
5th - 3
7th - 2
9th - 1

Then just add up the value and just order them down. Easy.

As for tier placement, just set some values for that tier to fall under. For example, 0 - 20 points would be E tier or whatever tier you wanna use. That part is all up to you. I would suggest looking at the point trends between your players. I don't know how much they would vary for Brawl.

In fact, most of it is up to you. Just mess around and see what works.

ChKn

Smash Ace
So I know I'm missing:

-Lost 4/5
-Nom 1/2/3
-Voodoo Smash 1
-Mechacon

So for those that have the results for these tournaments, give them to me. I'll start the math soon before my Benadryl kicks in.

'V'

Smash Lord
I remember Mechacon having 26 entrants, but I didn't stick around for who placed where. All I know is that Lee got first and Cyphus got second.

Edit: I also think I remember NOM #2's results

1. Lee
2. JNig
3. Cyphus
4. Hyro
5. Ran
5. V
7. Arcadia
7. Booby

'V'

Smash Lord
Updated the OP with all of this stuff. Also, Mute City was supposed to be banned for tourneys.

Title has been changed to announce Voodoo as well.

ChKn

Smash Ace
So many **** ppl for brawl. I put a minimum requirement of joining 4 tournaments for the 10 I have so far. I'll just take our PR and add ppl in lol.

'V'

Smash Lord
pro vaughn
Thank you!! ^^

So many **** ppl for brawl. I put a minimum requirement of joining 4 tournaments for the 10 I have so far. I'll just take our PR and add ppl in lol.
Yeah you guys have way more tournaments for Brawl than we have for Melee. We had 10 tourneys.

Also, I wouldn't count OoS tourneys if you're doing them. This is a more internal ranking thing. Most OoS tourneys tend to be much bigger than the ones we have here and not everyone's able to make those.

ChKn

Smash Ace
Yeah I didn't count Locals Only and OoS.

For the tentative List(I didn't sort - will do that once I get the remainder of the tournaments)
Lee Martin – 270
JNig – 252.5
John Cena(Hyro) – 228.5
-Ran – 132
Arcadia – 122.5
Roni – 110.5
Batto – 59.25
Curlz – 59
Blaine – 56.75
ChKn – 52.125
FakeGeorge – 47.5
BSP – 33.15
Jiovanni – 23.4375
MasterMajora – 16.09375
Turaz – 13.5625
BSL – 10.625

ISBS needs 1 more tournament to be included, will Savon, Zigsta, and Nitez need 2. If you aren't listed, let me know so I can update it to the best I can do.

I'll do a special sorting for the MK-banned tournament. Idk whether to include it in the overall standings or make a special side note.

-Ran

Smash Master

'V'

Smash Lord
Your trends look really nice. Grouping the first two tiers shouldn't be a problem for you at all. The cutoff for the last two tiers should be around the 40-point value, but I don't know how you'd wanna handle it.

Edit: I forgot Zac had a program. I wonder how it works...

Sudai

Stuff here
Your trends look really nice. Grouping the first two tiers shouldn't be a problem for you at all. The cutoff for the last two tiers should be around the 40-point value, but I don't know how you'd wanna handle it.

Edit: I forgot Zac had a program. I wonder how it works...
From what I understand, it's an Elo system. You input a tio file and it calculates everything for you.

-Ran

Smash Master
An Elo system that calculates points based off each match from the TIO files you have in a folder. It's pretty amazing.

Someone change the name of the thread so that people send me their **** TIO files. =/

Top Bottom