• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

D

Deleted member

DF brought his but it crapped out half way through teams. he said it didnt work well to begin with. then it stopped working.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
copied from the BRM thread:
unfortunately, even at the shrimp we only had 2 working PM set ups. (both brawl copies were mine, and the other wii and SD card were a br player in our group). so if people want pm you have to get some damn set ups. for the record, PM will not be at future shrimps if i cant get at least 4 set ups.

(and by "you have to get some damn set ups" i mean the players, not the hosts. i supplied 2 PM set ups and 2.5 melee set ups with 5 tvs total. i think thats more than fair)
Imo, you should still be able to run a small event with less than 4 set-ups, though 4 is definitely ideal. I see where you are coming from, though requiring a certain amount of set-ups is about as ridiculous as requiring a certain amount of people to show up for an event in order to have it. I remember Sudai telling me that I should just host P:M regardless, ask/tell people to bring set-ups, otherwise, it's just not encouraging enough to get attendance.

Sorry to hear your stuff has been getting stolen, that's pretty ****ty of people. :/

XKCP

Smash Journeyman
North LA!

Anyone interested in Brawl/PM/whatever is at Gunner's house tomorrow night? I actually would like to get some Brawl Doubles in if the right amount of people show up.

-Ran

Smash Master
That **** sucks Taylor. I know how it goes, unfortunately. It's why I don't have Smashfests at my new place, since my room mates have too much downstairs that could easily vanish. =/

D

Deleted member

Imo, you should still be able to run a small event with less than 4 set-ups, though 4 is definitely ideal. I see where you are coming from, though requiring a certain amount of set-ups is about as ridiculous as requiring a certain amount of people to show up for an event in order to have it. I remember Sudai telling me that I should just host P:M regardless, ask/tell people to bring set-ups, otherwise, it's just not encouraging enough to get attendance.
i swear you dont even think before you say **** sometimes. your condescending remarks are always absolutely ******** and inspire rage because of how ignorant it is. requiring a certain number of set ups is in no way similar to requiring a certain number of people to show up to have a tournament. the shrimps are by no means big events but they arent 6 man tournaments at chinese inn either. p:m at the shrimp usually has 15-20 people. when you try to run a tournament on 2 tvs it takes half the day for 1 tournament (out of 4, 2 of which being p:m). if i dont have set ups, i cant run tournaments because there isnt enough time. ive been starting tournaments earlier and earlier and they continue to run late for one reason or another. this time for lack of pm set ups despite starting at 1:00 pm, we didnt finish till after 2:00 am. i speak from experience and not from being a ******** fraud like some of the others around here.

XKCP

Smash Journeyman
You guys going to BRM tomorrow?
No BRM attendance from North LA to my knowledge.

MY next tournament will probably be in January.

EDIT: Dammit, dammit, ****expletives****. I just wish we could get setups for stuff. I know we all don't have money (hell, I'm not going to any tournaments right now becuz of it) to spend on setups when old ones crap out and all that, but some of it is really just laziness. I hate everybody in here who isn't:

Taylor
Freddy
Tim
Kyle
E. Blanchard
Vaughn
Erick
RJ
DF
Gunner
Okuser
Ramsaur
Curlz
Chkn
Jnig
Atticus
Li-D
Byron
BSP
BSL
SapphireDragon
Other people I can't remember right now
The End

Obama should supply more setups. I went to Tiki Bar (not drunk, but quite inspired to be drunk).

Sudai

Stuff here
Yep, there's a reason I didn't jump in the middle of this even though I wanted to. lol

I'll just say, Taylor always runs great tournaments even though players often don't bring set-ups and delay the tourney through taking forever to get matches done at some points, I'm a culprit of this too though.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Damn, Taylor goin in! There is no such thing as "enough" or "too many" or "ideal" setups. For the past few months, including tournies in LA, Tyler, and Apocalypse, the way tournies have been run has been inadequate, to say the least. We start the tourney an hour late at the EARLIEST, run through first round with reckless abandon, then the tourney just stops. Not one match is called for at least another half hour. THEN, the TO enters at least one event, so when they play their match(es), they do not have another person running the brackets. They place priority on the event that they currently have a match for, while players like me have to wait an hour, play ONE match, wait another hour, then play another match. It baffles me how late some of these tournies ran. And I usually entered at least 2 events, so it's not like I'm sitting there waiting for one event. Denti, Bomber, Icecream, I have no salt towards you guys, I understand how busy TOing can get. Just heed my words and use my advice well.

So it turns out an annoying cough this morning led to me only working half my shift, going home at noon, then I take a nap at 3, and wake up at 6 with joint pains, weakness, and a 101 degree fever. I've taken everything I'm supposed to take (and more, probably). I'm gonna wake up at 11 tomorrow, and if I'm not fit to drive, I can't make it to BRM, someone else can win for once. If I do make it tho, consider this your best chance of beating me, with the asterisk that I was sick as a dog the day before (and of). I don't even have energy to be salty right now, so I may not even rub it in if I win. I wonder how many of you are crossing your fingers that I won't make it, and how many are crossing fingers that they have a chance to beat me... hmmmmmmmm

tl;dr: No such thing as "enough" setups, I'm so sick I feel like dying, now's your chance to win a tourney and/or beat me in tourney.

And posting this literally made me tired, geezus. Like out of breath tired... GOODNIGHT

XKCP

Smash Journeyman
Damn, Taylor goin in! There is no such thing as "enough" or "too many" or "ideal" setups. For the past few months, including tournies in LA, Tyler, and Apocalypse, the way tournies have been run has been inadequate, to say the least. We start the tourney an hour late at the EARLIEST, run through first round with reckless abandon, then the tourney just stops. Not one match is called for at least another half hour. THEN, the TO enters at least one event, so when they play their match(es), they do not have another person running the brackets. They place priority on the event that they currently have a match for, while players like me have to wait an hour, play ONE match, wait another hour, then play another match. It baffles me how late some of these tournies ran. And I usually entered at least 2 events, so it's not like I'm sitting there waiting for one event. Denti, Bomber, Icecream, I have no salt towards you guys, I understand how busy TOing can get. Just heed my words and use my advice well.

So it turns out an annoying cough this morning led to me only working half my shift, going home at noon, then I take a nap at 3, and wake up at 6 with joint pains, weakness, and a 101 degree fever. I've taken everything I'm supposed to take (and more, probably). I'm gonna wake up at 11 tomorrow, and if I'm not fit to drive, I can't make it to BRM, someone else can win for once. If I do make it tho, consider this your best chance of beating me, with the asterisk that I was sick as a dog the day before (and of). I don't even have energy to be salty right now, so I may not even rub it in if I win. I wonder how many of you are crossing your fingers that I won't make it, and how many are crossing fingers that they have a chance to beat me... hmmmmmmmm

tl;dr: No such thing as "enough" setups, I'm so sick I feel like dying, now's your chance to win a tourney and/or beat me in tourney.

And posting this literally made me tired, geezus. Like out of breath tired... GOODNIGHT
It's ok, Jnig. I don't want to beat you becuz then I would have to play Brawl Singles seriously and that is just something I can't do.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
No BRM attendance from North LA to my knowledge.

MY next tournament will probably be in January.

EDIT: Dammit, dammit, ****expletives****. I just wish we could get setups for stuff. I know we all don't have money (hell, I'm not going to any tournaments right now becuz of it) to spend on setups when old ones crap out and all that, but some of it is really just laziness. I hate everybody in here who isn't:

Taylor
Freddy
Tim
Kyle
E. Blanchard
Vaughn
Erick
RJ
DF
Gunner
Okuser
Ramsaur
Curlz
Chkn
Jnig
Atticus
Li-D
Byron
BSP
BSL
SapphireDragon
Other people I can't remember right now
The End

Go **** yourself.

Sudai

Stuff here
I've been running tournies for Taylor when he has games unless its us both fighting. Others help too. Y'all's players need to step up. There's only so much rushing a TO can do though.

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
IMO the shrimp was run fairly well. It was simply a lack of pm set ups is all. The majority of dead time was players wandering around and such. I have no experience TO'ing but we ran like a 25ish man brawl bracket at my dorm two years ago with two set ups in 2hours. We put the fear in players. If you weren't there like 20 seconds after your match was called, dq.

Also I only made XKCP's list cause I donked is ass in pokemon with my random **** team.

Also I wanna play JNig in brawl. I think I can do it in a casual setting. I'm fearless as **** in a no pressure situation.

#teamkirbymainPM

Sudai

Stuff here
Taylor's too nice to DQ people he's known for a while (or not long too really). Probably his one fault as a TO, but that fault wouldn't matter if people just played when they were supposed to instead of going out to smoke *coughSudaicough*

XKCP

Smash Journeyman
I was actually trying to list everybody I've ever seen on this thread but tbh... that's way more people than I thought and I ran out of steam once I got past some of the Melee guys and North LA so I stopped and went to bed like 20 mins later.

Anyways, feel pretty bad for Jnig.

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
Anyone going today to baton rouge monthly. The TO himself does not own a wii. So remember to bring setups. PM and Brawl.

-Erick

Bomber7

Smash Hero
i swear you dont even think before you say **** sometimes. your condescending remarks are always absolutely ******** and inspire rage because of how ignorant it is. requiring a certain number of set ups is in no way similar to requiring a certain number of people to show up to have a tournament. the shrimps are by no means big events but they arent 6 man tournaments at chinese inn either. p:m at the shrimp usually has 15-20 people. when you try to run a tournament on 2 tvs it takes half the day for 1 tournament (out of 4, 2 of which being p:m). if i dont have set ups, i cant run tournaments because there isnt enough time. ive been starting tournaments earlier and earlier and they continue to run late for one reason or another. this time for lack of pm set ups despite starting at 1:00 pm, we didnt finish till after 2:00 am. i speak from experience and not from being a ******** fraud like some of the others around here.
You know Taylor, I'm not even mad. I've been watching all your comments and all I can do is laugh. I see you complain about people not bringing set-ups, doing ****ty things to you, or doing anything that would otherwise hinder your events. All I can tell you is get used to it. I've dealt with a lot of crap as a TO, espeically from the likes of you. If I ever made comments like you had, putting my foot down, then I'd get ganged up on, would have been told I was unprofessional, I was ********, that if people want an event, I should host it no matter how many set-ups I have, etc. As a TO, you need to learn to adapt to situations, even if it is working with insufficient amounts of set-ups. So you start events later because people are showing up late? Tough, it's going to happen. I can't think of an event where anyone ever showed up on time and I didn't have to start at least an hour late. Even when my average atendance was 12-20 people, I still had to face insufficient amounts of set-ups and people not being on time. You hold such a double standard with me it's pathetic. It's also very flatering, yet sad you didcate entire paragraphs just to bash on me whenever I say anything, directed towards you or not. The way you react to these situations, it tells me you haven't run tournaments enough. As a bit of friendly advice, get used to not having your way.

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
Bro's calm your ****. Can't we all just smash and get along. We are relatively small community. We are the IC's. Sure we can do some **** alone, but together we can take second at EVO.

RJ

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I just got back from Open World. I got the dates set for the next six months for the tournaments over there (every third Saturday of every month). The line up will be Brawl, Melee, and P:M. I'll be making the thread soon, if not tonight, tomorrow. I'll be carpooling with Erick to BRM today and I'll be bringing a full set-up for Project M. I'd like to get some matches with you guys who play P:M, and I'm sure we could get a P:M event to happen if enough of us showed for it. :D

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
You know Taylor, I'm not even mad. I've been watching all your comments and all I can do is laugh. The way you react to these situations, it tells me you haven't run tournaments enough. As a bit of friendly advice, get used to not having your way.
I'm normally a **** just to be funny. Now, however, I'm gonna say something for your benefit. You're so far up your own ass it's unbelievable. You speak (type?) as though you believe that your tournies are superior to Taylor's, and that affords you the ability to speak down to a person that clearly knows what he's doing given the number of people that show up to his home for Melee. This is not the first time. I'm not as worried about you looking like a douche, since there's nothing I can do to change that, but if someone new reads your garbage and decides not to go to future Shrimps because they believe Taylor doesn't know how to run a tourny, that affects the community.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I'm normally a **** just to be funny. Now, however, I'm gonna say something for your benefit. You're so far up your own *** it's unbelievable. You speak (type?) as though you believe that your tournies are superior to Taylor's, and that affords you the ability to speak down to a person that clearly knows what he's doing given the number of people that show up to his home for Melee. This is not the first time. I'm not as worried about you looking like a douche, since there's nothing I can do to change that, but if someone new reads your garbage and decides not to go to future Shrimps because they believe Taylor doesn't know how to run a tourny, that affects the community.
No, I don't think my events are superior or inferior to his, but I do think it's ridiculous he sounds so surprised that this stuff is happening to him; where his events are starting late and he's lacking insuffiecient set-ups. I'd never discourage anyone from going to anyone's tournament. If someone read what you took out of context, then yes, they wouldn't go to Shrimp. If someone read my post, I explained my reason why I think Taylor hasn't held enough tournaments. If you bothered to read, it's not like I said he lacks capability to run an event, merely that he hasn't run tournaments enough to see the issues the come with them. His posts victimize himself, I just look at his posts and think to myself "Late starts? Little to no set-ups? Nothing new here."

Sorry if what I said came off wrong. But in all seriousness, stuff like that happens Taylor, you just gotta do the best with what you got and understand that things won't always go the way you want them to. It it's a part of running tournaments.

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
As a black guy, I can do black guy things to you guys. Drop it or settle it with Ganon dittos or those black guy things will happen to you...

XKCP

Smash Journeyman
I, personally, find the worst problem of the bunch to be that people are stealing from him, in his own house, with a bunch of friends around who he knows on a close personal level, and that he is saving people money by doing everything the way he has been (cutting out some major venue fees, making tournies cheap for people or even free if need be, housing people overnight (essentially at the venue)). It's ridiculously stupid for someone to go to his tournament IN HIS HOUSE and steal his stuff from him; it's not like he brought it to a tournament and left it on a table for somebody to steal. It's just a whole different level of ridiculousness.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
I like toast.

Dylan make our a rematch a MM. If you win I have to pay you a KFC bucket. If I win you have to give me Starbucks because that's what white people like.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else inadvertently carry the phrase "No johns" into non-smash areas?
Every once in a while. I don't use it too much because then I have to explain what it means.

I didn't go to the last Shrimp so I won't comment on it. I went to the first two, I knew a lot of people there, and I can't believe that group of people is stealing ****. It really makes you wonder if you know someone. I mean, I took a few beers, but he practically twisted my arm.

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
I like toast.

Dylan make our a rematch a MM. If you win I have to pay you a KFC bucket. If I win you have to give me Starbucks because that's what white people like.
Cluck cluck motherlova.

Also are we doing bowser vs mk? Cus I've been practicing that not pika.

And I just to freaking main bowser and marth and drop falco.

BSP

Smash Legend
Every once in a while. I don't use it too much because then I have to explain what it means.

It's become a habit for me. I was listening to the commentators when the Saints played in Michigan, I think, and once they started listed reasons for the team's underwhelming performance, the first thing that came to my mind was "No Johns, *****".

Turazrok

Smash Master
What kind of **** would steal from Taylor? SMH you churlish type thieving folks.

Top Bottom