• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
But good for Ko Takeuchi if she does make it in. It always feel good to have your beloved characters get represented in a mega crossover game.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone, I've been lurking this thread for a while and just briefly want to express my support for the best Warioware supporting character. I haven't been Ashley supporter for long but after inspecting things a bit I think she has legitimate shot of making in.
And yeah, I'm a bit of a Wario fan in general and would love to see more representation of his series in Smash.
Awwww yeah another Supporter to channel those good vibes for Ashley! Keep 'em coming people!

FarquadMoses

Smash Cadet
But good for Ko Takeuchi if she does make it in. It always feel good to have your beloved characters get represented in a mega crossover game.
Has anyone ever interviewed Takeuchi? It might be possible the topic of Smash has come up. I'm just wondering if he ever stated that he would like to see Ashley in Smash.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
If you think about it, Wario has a freakishly large friend circle for a guy like him.
Not to mention including Toadette according to the Mario Party games. Maybe deep down inside Wario's a great guy, that they know will be good if he can do it.

Now about his "secret friend bond" with Toadette, what's up with that?

Now I'm wondering if Toadette could be in a Wario game BEFORE Waluigi.... :crazy:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Recently, or the one from a while ago? This would be the 2nd time, then.
Yea this is what I'm wondering too.

EDIT: Also something I want to know. Does Takeuchi retweet and unretweet often? Or is it just these specific cases.

Last edited:

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
I do not remember that incident. What happened?
A former Bandai-Namco employee mentioned on Twitter that Bandai-Namco was working on Smash Ultimate back in March. For some reason Nintendo wanted to keep that information under wraps.

Not that it was surprising for us since it wouldn't make sense to just throw out an entire team of people and hire a new team of people right after jumping into a new Smash game.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ashley looks o have her own minigame (as opposed to microgame) in Warioware Gold.
Well, that only makes sense with what happened in the opening. She's not making anything for Wario anymore, that's for sure.

Real talk though, I really liked everything they did with Ashley in Game & Wario. Her game was fun, her use of magic turning her into Jeanne (Bayonetta) with glowing red eyes was cool, and that pic of her flying in the night sky with a smile on her face was precious, as was the hushed ''woooow'' she uttered upon witnessing the eldritch location in her book. That game really elevated my appreciation for the character.

Last edited:

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: Also something I want to know. Does Takeuchi retweet and unretweet often? Or is it just these specific cases.
Odds are probably not. Even if Takeuchi was trying to be playful he of anyone should know Nintendo is very strict about disclosure.

I'd be willing to bet Takeuchi was uninformed about Smash when retweeting Ashley supporters as a way of promoting his character until someone told him to cut it out.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Odds are probably not. Even if Takeuchi was trying to be playful he of anyone should know Nintendo is very strict about disclosure.

I'd be willing to bet Takeuchi was uninformed about Smash when retweeting Ashley supporters as a way of promoting his character until someone told him to cut it out.
Yeah, It's for this very reason I'm convinced Banjo-kazooie and Travis Touchdown are not in the game. Phil Spencer and Suda would not be responding to fans if their characters were in the game.

Even Kojima came out and asked Sakurai to put Snake in Smash 4. He had no idea what was going on.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I'd like to mention that Misery Brick from the Chorus Kids thread brought up the idea that Ashley could share a reveal trailer with a Rhythm Heaven rep. Considering they both have the same artstyle it would work with the whole WarioWare artstyle thing. Do you guys think that's at all likely?

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to mention that Misery Brick from the Chorus Kids thread brought up the idea that Ashley could share a reveal trailer with a Rhythm Heaven rep. Considering they both have the same artstyle it would work with the whole WarioWare artstyle thing. Do you guys think that's at all likely?
Even though they share the same art style we have yet to see a reveal trailer post Smash 4 showcase multiple characters who are not from the same series.

I think Ashley and the Chorus Kids should get their own separate trailers.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
It'd certainly be easier for them to just go through animating one sequence where both fighters are introduced rather than do them separately. Historically though, the only characters that shared reveals were a part of the same series. With the limited amount of newcomers, who knows if there are enough cards up their sleeve to afford putting two in one trailer anyways?

Unlikely but possible.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I'd like a mini direct this month where it opens up in a WarioWare Gold style, making us think it's a trailer for the game. Then it goes to Ashley who accidentally creates a portal after some sort of shenanigans like Game and Wario, and then boom she's transported to Smash.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
That one could still be under the "same series" umbrella since Warioware and Rhythm Heaven are, for all intents and purposes, sister franchises, and they cross over a lot.

I can see it happening. I kinda expected something like that in Smash 4, with Chorus Kids being revealed alongside Wario. (RIP to all that tho, Wario even ended up secret just to rub salt in my wounds)

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I watched a bunch of Japanese character request videos on youtube today (about 12) both pre and post e3

God those stupid yukkuri text-to-speech things they use makes it awkward to understand them ;P

I saw Ashley on all of them though. They weren't ordered by number or anything, but she was on them all.

(incase you're wondering I saw K. Rool on 11 of the 12 I watched)
Got any links?

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Yeah, It's for this very reason I'm convinced Banjo-kazooie and Travis Touchdown are not in the game. Phil Spencer and Suda would not be responding to fans if their characters were in the game.

Even Kojima came out and asked Sakurai to put Snake in Smash 4. He had no idea what was going on.
I get the feeling base newcomers will be heavily focused on first parties anyways. They might decide to take all the third parties that were highest on the ballot (maybe barring Rayman and any echoes?) and save them for DLC since there's a lot of widespread appeal there that they could sell.

K. Rool, Ashley, Bandana Dee, Elma, especially Isaac... even if they would sell well, it doesn't feel like they would nor should be set aside for DLC.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
I get the feeling base newcomers will be heavily focused on first parties anyways. They might decide to take all the third parties that were highest on the ballot (maybe barring Rayman and any echoes?) and save them for DLC since there's a lot of widespread appeal there that they could sell.

K. Rool, Ashley, Bandana Dee, Elma, especially Isaac... even if they would sell well, it doesn't feel like they would nor should be set aside for DLC.
Since everyone's in the game all DLC will be newcomers. Ashley just feels like a base game character.

DLC will be good for Rex & Pyra, Spring Man, Gen 8 Pokemon and who ever else might have been too late to get in Smash.

I'm sure there will be another ballot too. Hopefully, it won't come to that to get Ashley in.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

I've always been of the feeling that the Ballot from 2015 was meant for Ultimate, That's why I think several newcomers will be fan favorites (Probably by Region). Ridley for the US, Ashley for Japan, whoever the **** for EU and K Rool would be the overall fan choice. After them, I think we'll get a couple Sakurai choices like a retro rep and that sort of things as well as a few echoes. DLC, I think will be characters like Rex, Springman, Gen 8 Pokemon, Edelgard and a few fan favorites from a new ballot. That's how I see this game's roster shaping up, with probably an 80-82 character roster when all is said and done.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Do you guys go out of your way to debate people on other platforms on the viability of Ashley as a newcomer? Some of the stuff I see from people who really don't like her is like really bad. People saying that the characters in Warioware aren't important to series or cared for by its fans, or that if Warioware character gets in that would be like a random animal crossing villager getting in.

I almost fell for that one, but the role of a Warioware character is pretty much the same as Wario's. it's just that he has more prominence. You can't say the same for an NPC villager and the main character villager.

Just sharing because I know it can be discouraging to read those comments but just try to understand their argument and where it comes from and you'll find that a lot of the time it isn't sound.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Do you guys go out of your way to debate people on other platforms on the viability of Ashley as a newcomer? Some of the stuff I see from people who really don't like her is like really bad. People saying that the characters in Warioware aren't important to series or cared for by its fans, or that if Warioware character gets in that would be like a random animal crossing villager getting in.

I almost fell for that one, but the role of a Warioware character is pretty much the same as Wario's. it's just that he has more prominence. You can't say the same for an NPC villager and the main character villager.
I think Ashely getting in would be more like Isabelle getting in. Which seems entirely possible this time around

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
1. I'm surprised Shovel Knight and Shantae made Rank A (More so Shovel Knight due to its lackluster release in Japan). Pre-E3, Rank C is good for Ashley, I think.

2. ****. They predicted a Minecraft character. DO NOT WANT

3. Lulz. Spring man as a Little Mac Echo. That's funny. Seems like this video thinks Ashley has a chance because of the Badge Arcade. Here's hoping.

4. XD This guy got the JP Title right. That's great

This was insightful. I wish I knew Japanese so that I could really see what the JP fanbase wants first hand instead of relying on 3rd party sources. Overall, they aren't too different from the US for this game.

Yes. I typically argue against people with bad arguments. Particularly is "deserves" is thrown into an argument.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

Not really. Anyone who actually researches would know she's viable as a newcomer. She checks all the boxes. The only thing we're waiting on is if Sakurai decides to include her as playable or not, and as a non playable character she's gotten a lot of love and was even acknowledged by Sakurai.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
I've always been of the feeling that the Ballot from 2015 was meant for Ultimate, That's why I think several newcomers will be fan favorites (Probably by Region). Ridley for the US, Ashley for Japan, whoever the **** for EU and K Rool would be the overall fan choice. After them, I think we'll get a couple Sakurai choices like a retro rep and that sort of things as well as a few echoes. DLC, I think will be characters like Rex, Springman, Gen 8 Pokemon, Edelgard and a few fan favorites from a new ballot. That's how I see this game's roster shaping up, with probably an 80-82 character roster when all is said and done.
The EU got Bayonetta if that counts.

Yeah they don't think a WarioWare character is likely because they think It's a niche series. What's ironic is They say Isaac or Geno is likely.

For a niche series WarioWare sure gets a good amount of content in Smash. Can't say that for Golden Sun or Super Mario RPG.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, I never thought Bayonetta was chosen due to the ballot. So, personally, I don't count her :p
I hope no Russian spies are on this site because I'm putting myself at serious risk getting locked up in the Gulag for life giving you guys this information but, one thing you guys need to know is that Vladmir Putin secretly plays Smash and ordered his services to rig the Smash Ballot in favor of Bayonetta. It was never a fair Ballot.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I hope no Russian spies are on this site because I'm putting myself at serious risk getting locked up in the Gulag for life giving you guys this information but, one thing you guys need to know is that Vladmir Putin secretly plays Smash and ordered his services to rig the Smash Ballot in favor of Bayonetta. It was never a fair Ballot.
Damn. Putin's hacking every ballot he can get his hands on.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

Well here is Ashlink from the Legend of Red: Breath of the Wild.
No but really I am already getting lazy after 3 drawings. Probably time to switch to a chibi style.

On a side note- We only have what... 2 magic users in the game? Zelda and Robin? I mean there are other characters who are supernatural but don't really use...magic in the traditional sense.
Also I really want the Smash Run enemies to come back- weaker assist trophy item, Smash Run, or an adventure mode would be great. If we do get an adventure mode or Smash Run mode, please let the map be a giant amalgamation of Nintendo worlds smushed together with themed sections.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
OK so I know we all say that Ashley is HUGE in Japan (some saying she's the East's Ridley). But just how big is she, and do we have anything other than developer push to gauge that?

I'm staying pretty positive, but I'm slightly concerned I'm overestimating just how popular Ashley is in Japan.

Also, 42 pages. Wow. Just three or so weeks ago this was at 3. I'm so happy people finally found the Ashley train, and I'm so thrilled it's such a positive group of people.

SmashMaster02

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7731-7496-2991
I think we should be cautious with this pick

If Sakurai calls Ashley about joining, then she might hang up. This would leave Sakurai waiting and having to call her back. I just can’t garuntee that Ashley has a good shot, she’s already hung up on her friend Wario, and with Sakurai being a stranger, he may never be able to get a hold of her.
Nice WarioWare Gold reference, gettin that game soon after it drops. That opening cutscene made me laugh.

Top Bottom