• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The little pilot of the Helirin. Kururin for Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
This is Kururin.

You may not recognize this guy but you probably remember his copter, the Helirin. It was an assist trophy in Brawl and it also had a trophy in Melee.

Just a Brawl image of it as a mind refresher.

Okay, since none of the Kururin games ever made it to the US and the majority of his games have been Japan only (only the first one ever made it to Europe), I am not expecting too many of you to know this guy (Or maybe you do. After all the Helirin has appeared in the smash series twice now so maybe some of you have done a little research about it)

So I guess I'll put a little background info about this guy before I start. Excuse me if some of my info is wrong, It's been many years since I last played a Kururin game and that was only from my cousins so I can mainly rely on some of the info I found on the internet.

About Kururin
Kururin is basically the eldest brother of a large family. He first appeared in the Gameboy Advance launch title Kuru Kuru Kururin which appeared in Both Europe and Japan but not to America and since then he spawned two more sequels. One for the GBA and the other for the Gamecube. Both sadly only appeared in Japan though which is a shame because I heard the first was pretty popular and the second was even announced at E3 2002 but never made it anywhere outside of Japan. With only one game outside Japan and in only one region while the other's only stayed there you may as well call Kururing the Ness of Europe.

But back to Kururin himself. Backstory spoilers though.

One day his brothers and sisters go missing and he sets out on a journey to find them. With the help of his teacher Hare (Who is a bunny pilot by the way, just like a certain other bunny pilot mentor we all know and love who likes to tell a certain fox to "do a barrel roll") who teaches Kururin on how to control the Helirin in order to get ready in his journey to find his missing brothers and sisters. And that's basically the plot of the first game.

His game is sort of of a puzzle solving adventure where you need to navigate the Helirin over a long corridor of obstacles until you make your way to the finish as quickly as you can. Of course that's easily said than done since the Helirin's spinning propellers move about non-stop requiring the player to keep moving if they do not want to end up hitting a wall. Not to mention after three hit's you are sent back to the beginning of the level. Here is a gameplay video so you can better understand what I mean.

Kururin's chances for smash 4.

I cannot say that Kururin's chances are at all very likely especially since his demand for smash is fairly nonexistant and Nintendo doesn't really show that much love for the handheld side of their characters in term's of playable character status (Except for Pokemon for obvious reasons). However the handheld heroes did get some amount of love in the assist trophy department and Kururin (Well okay his Helirin) was one of them. I can't say his chances are likely but Sakurai at least knows that he exists so that's a good thing for him. Not to mention his latest game. Kururin Squash opened doors for him in terms of moveset potential. (Though sadly, Kururin Squash came out back in 2004 so if relevancy is something important, it's not on his side.)

Kururin's moveset.

Special moves.
* Neutral special: Lazer beams: Kururin can shoot multiple small lazer shots when pressing the button rapidly or charge up and shoot one strong beam right out of it. It's similar to the superscope item. Only the beams are thinner and not round like the Superscope's beam's. Kinda similar to how that one primid enemy shot his lazers from the Subspace Emissary now that I think about it. Oh and if you use the beams too much you will eventually run out and have to wait until it recharges again before you can use it again.
* Side special: Punching glove: He charges up a punching glove and then launches it at an opponent. It can hit opponents who are a small distance away too because of the string attached to it.

* Up special: Tornado: Basically works the same as the tornado's from the Hyrule castle stage from Smash 64. Kururin covers himself up inside a tornado and any opponent who gets in contact with him gets stuck inside and then launched away upwards once he finishes the move. If you use this move while midair, Kururin can also gain some height so it also works as a recovery move.

* Down special: Flamethrower: Basically similar to Bowser and Charizard's flamethrower. Only Kururin can't really control the angle he shoots the flame's from his flamethrower.

Smash attacks.

* Neutral smash: Basically Kururin does a few slaps with his wings.

* Side smash: He does a quick peck attack aganist his opponent.

* Up smash: He does a small jump and then claps the air upward in order to hit any opponents from above.

* Down smash: Kururin does a quick spin to hit any opponents from both sides.

Final smash.
There is no other final smash better suited for Kururin than the one that already made it into Brawl. Of course I'm talking about the Helirin.

Obviously with a few new features included.

* The Helirin is slightly bigger than it was in Brawl.

* This time you can actually control the Helirin in any direction you like instead of watching it move around aimlessly (duh).

* You have the ability to change it's direction of spinning whether it goes clockwise or counterclockwise, just press A to do so. If you want it to move in a certain direction from the very beginning be sure to face the side you want it to move in. Basically face right if you want it to go clockwise and left if you want it to go counterclockwise.

* If you want to attack press the B button in order to make it do a quick spin in order to shake your opponent away. Useful when your opponent manages to get themselves on top of the Helirin.

Kururin's other animations.
* Kururin has the ability to make multiple mid-air jumps.
* Kururin has the ability to glide.
* In idle animations he might occasionally cross his wings together and look a little bored and sometimes he may even spread his wings making himself look like he wants to fly.

Taunt's

* Up taunt: Kururin jumps up and down of joy.
* Left taunt: Kururin puts his wing above his head and looks around as if he's looking for something.
* Right taunt: Kururin spins around for a bit before getting a little dizzy.

Victory poses

* Kururin jumps about of joy and flies.
* Kururin sits down and sights in relief showing that he got exhausted of the battle.
* Kururin jumps and then gives a thumbs up for the player.
* His victory theme would be the first five seconds in this song.

* His lose pose would be him clapping for the winner while smiling or just looking unhappy and down.

Song's for Kururin
These could work for any Kururin based stage I believe. I'm not really sure what the stage would actually be though. Perhaps something similar to the games. A Large platform with some Helirins flying around that characters can stand on I suppose. Like I said I haven't played any Kururin game in many years so I bet there may be better songs the series had provided over the years.

Kuru Kuru Kururin - Grassland http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6g5CsFizGo
Kuru Kuru Kururin - Last Land http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dxv3nFt8UY
Kuru Kuru Kururin - Challenge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vu0kTMq4Bk
Kururin Paradise - Neo Land http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BBnxHCNapE
Kururin Paradise - Boss theme 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V4WsZxft6Y
Kururin Paradise - Strawberry land http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayQtsph94dQ
Kururin Squash - World C2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMlH1AgL92k
Kururin Squash - World A2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pJJQW1wouE

That's basically it I suppose. I'm not too surprised there isn't a support thread made for him yet since he's fairly obscure, especially in America. He may not be very likely but the fact Sakurai at least knows he exists and the fact his ship made a few appearances in the smash series before he might just make it.... just maybe... :p

Hope you had a good read. Just thought I'd create a support thread for this poor little guy.

Kururin's Supporters.

If you want to be included in this support list feel free to post in this thread saying so. (or just drop the OP a like)​

Kikwi-Kiwi * Young Horsetail * Falkoopa * stevenchina * fogbadge * Scoliosis Jones * thethirdkoopa * DonkaFjord * Tepig2000 * chronomantic * jigglover *​

Also, here is a support sig for Kururin made by Falkoopa. Enjoy.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hoyyy, a Kururin-thread!!! I totally approve this because I absolutely adore Kururin and his series. (-lvl-)!

It's bit funny even that like Lip, he never gets shown but his prop does. (-l2l-);

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hoyyy, a Kururin-thread!!! I totally approve this because I absolutely adore Kururin and his series. (-lvl-)!

It's bit funny even that like Lip, he never gets shown but his prop does. (-l2l-);
Yah he deserves a support thread. Poor guy is so obscure. With the news of GBA games coming to the Wii U, I hope Nintendo releases the first Kururin to both Europe and America so that he at least can get some recognition and maybe a few more fans. :)

Yeah that's a shame. Maybe they did get a sticker. But for the rest, the Lip's stick and the Helririns were the stars in smash. Hopefully both the owners of these items show up this time.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Barring popularity, his situation is quite similar to the mother Series. You can count me in as a supporter. I guess he would be one of the surprise characters if he makes it in. :)

Now the only assist trophies lacking threads are Dr. Wright and Lakitu. lol

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yeah.

Anyway, about Kururin, I wonder how he'd be like and what would make him interesting to play as.

Looking that he's a bird, he'd be kinda like Falco in means of being easy to maneuver on air. If we go even further, MAYBE he'd use a stick that looks like Helirin as some kind of a lance? He could also throw it around and it'd have all sorts of gadgets (from Kururin Squash) and use it to propeller through air. Kinda like Bandanna Dee?

Also something I thought is that he could be a glass cannon: his moves pack a punch similar to G&W, but he's pretty light.
The ones who have played Kururin-games can easily get why I thought of this.

But I'd absolutely love if he would use his Final Smash, he'd essentially place the stick on the ground which grows into Helirin and then does what you described above Kiwi. And after being done, the whole thing shrinks back in size and becomes that little stick/lance again.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Barring popularity, his situation is quite similar to the mother Series. You can count me in as a supporter. I guess he would be one of the surprise characters if he makes it in. :)
Yeah he would definitely be a character many wouldn't see coming.

Yeah.

Anyway, about Kururin, I wonder how he'd be like and what would make him interesting to play as.

Looking that he's a bird, he'd be kinda like Falco in means of being easy to maneuver on air. If we go even further, MAYBE he'd use a stick that looks like Helirin as some kind of a lance? He could also throw it around and it'd have all sorts of gadgets (from Kururin Squash) and use it to propeller through air. Kinda like Bandanna Dee?

Also something I thought is that he could be a glass cannon: his moves pack a punch similar to G&W, but he's pretty light.
The ones who have played Kururin-games can easily get why I thought of this.

But I'd absolutely love if he would use his Final Smash, he'd essentially place the stick on the ground which grows into Helirin and then does what you described above Kiwi. And after being done, the whole thing shrinks back in size and becomes that little stick/lance again.
Oh I didn't think of the stick idea. Maybe that could also work in order to pull off his special moves like the ones I mentioned? I can definitely see that as a possibility. :)

D

Deleted member

I think putting in Japan only characters is a good idea. We Nintendo fans want something new. There are still stuff that Japan never release internationally. I can't imagine how this pilot will fight.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Read through the moveset.

@Kikwi
You've listed his smash attacks as special attacks. :p

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Fairly interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing him in Smash I suppose. (As long as most other deserving characters get in anyway.)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i had half a mind to make a support thread for him at one point, so i fully support him being smash 4 (despite his low chances)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Okay I fixed the thread now. It's longer yes but at least you don't have to deal with the annoying fake spoiler tags anymore. ^_^

i had half a mind to make a support thread for him at one point, so i fully support him being smash 4 (despite his low chances)
Yeah I think you mentioned that to me before. Thanks I added you to the support list. ^_^

Fairly interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing him in Smash I suppose. (As long as most other deserving characters get in anyway.)
Well I'm glad to know you at least don't mind him for smash. ^^;

I think putting in Japan only characters is a good idea. We Nintendo fans want something new. There are still stuff that Japan never release internationally. I can't imagine how this pilot will fight.
Yeah I don't mind seeing more Nintendo character's I've never heard of before for smash bros. I find that to be a part of what makes smash fun. Getting to know old and new faces you've likely never seen before. That's one of the reasons I support the likes of Kururin for smash.

By the way, you can see in the very support thread for a possible moveset and how he would sort of play.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Lol, you removed all the spoiler tags?

I think at least his backstory should be kept in spoilers though.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Lol, you removed all the spoiler tags?

I think at least his backstory should be kept in spoilers though.
Thing is, if I put even one up I get bombarded with 4 spoiler tags, two of them being completely empty. I don't think the backstory is "too much" spoilery. It's basically the beginning of the game. Oh well I'll try and see if the spoiler tag works this time... ^^;

Maybe I should mention this to the mod's so they can help me with this? ^^;

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Thing is, if I put even one up I get bombarded with 4 spoiler tags, two of them being completely empty. I don't think the backstory is "too much" spoilery. It's basically the beginning of the game. Oh well I'll try and see if the spoiler tag works this time... ^^;
The spoiler tags seem to bug when too much text is collapsed inside one.

D

Deleted member

Huh, I would have said he has the same problem as Starfy considering what Sakurai said about series introduced since Pikmin....but the first Kururin game came out much earlier in the year than Pikmin.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not sure if Kururin would still be likely to become a playable or just be used as an assist trophy again in smash 4. I hope it's the former. But it's probably going to be the latter.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Interesting idea for a playable character. I never played any of his games, but watching the video his first game (it's his first, right?) is pretty fun.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Interesting idea for a playable character. I never played any of his games, but watching the video his first game (it's his first, right?) is pretty fun.
Yeah that's his first game. I played that game a long time ago, it was indeed pretty fun. The other Kururin games are Japan-only though sadly. I hope they release this (and it's sequel but that's probably less likely) to the Wii U virtual console sometime soon when it's possible to play GBA games on it. So more people can try out the series. :)

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I just hope he doesnt get cut from the game completely... at least make him an assist.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah. I would like them to actually show him this time around though if he becomes an assist trophy again since he is kinda in the same position as Lip right now, where only his Helirin gets shown but not Kururin himself. :/

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The supporters list is back up with you included thethirdkoopa.

I'm not sure if DonkaFjord or Tepig2000 support him though so I'll wait for their response I guess.

I'm not sure if Kururin has been done before in 3D though, in Kururin Squash he was kinda done in the style of Paper Mario. :/ I wouldn't mind seeing him in a 3D model though.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Hmm, now that I have actually watched some footage of Kuru Kuru Kururin, it seems like a pretty fun and challenging game. I might have to check it out sometime.

Anyhow, since Super Smash Bros. 3D will be focusing on handheld franchises, I could really see Kuru Kuru Kururin getting more representation than just an Assist Trophy this time, though I do not know if Kururin would make it as a playable character.

Anyhow, good thread. I always love to discover new puzzle games on Nintendo platforms.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

I'm not sure if DonkaFjord or Tepig2000 support him though so I'll wait for their response I guess.

I'm not sure if Kururin has been done before in 3D though, in Kururin Squash he was kinda done in the style of Paper Mario. :/ I wouldn't mind seeing him in a 3D model though.
Sure I can support him (He is unlikely though haha). At the very least they could make him visible in the assist like you said.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hmm, now that I have actually watched some footage of Kuru Kuru Kururin, it seems like a pretty fun and challenging game. I might have to check it out sometime.

Anyhow, since Super Smash Bros. 3D will be focusing on handheld franchises, I could really see Kuru Kuru Kururin getting more representation than just an Assist Trophy this time, though I do not know if Kururin would make it as a playable character.

Anyhow, good thread. I always love to discover new puzzle games on Nintendo platforms.
Yeah I hope that the 3DS version will have at least a stage based on the Kururin games. Though Kururin Squash was a Gamecube title so it's not too far out of the question that we could possibly also see a Kururin stage on the Wii U version as well. It would be nice if Kururin at least got one stage in one of the versions though.

Thanks. ^_^

Sure I can support him (He is unlikely though haha). At the very least they could make him visible in the assist like you said.

Yeah I know but oh well. As long as they actually make him show up in some form would be great. Anyway's. I've included you to the support list. Thanks. ^_^

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936

Felt like bumping this thread. Yes, I support.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
I clicked on this thinking that Kururin was Krillin from Dragon Ball. Thanks for getting my hopes up and throwing them away.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Why does everyone always think I misspelled all my character support threads? First Mallo and Mallow and now Kururin and.... Krillin..... :/

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Why does everyone always think I misspelled all my character support threads? First Mallo and Mallow and now Kururin and.... Krillin..... :/
No, Krillin is also called Kuririn. Very similar to Kururin.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Just wanted to give the Kururin thread a quick bump. Also, I think maybe Kururin may be playable alongside characters like Jill, Excitebiker, Isaac, Ray MK III and some others who were Assists in Brawl who did not show up at E3. I mean, honestly the Assists look like they're practically finished and the Helirin looks like it was one of the easiest Assists to program into Brawl anyway, so if he wasn't even seen at E3, I have great hope for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom