• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (USE SPOILER TAGS)

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
OoT got a T-rating because of it had a larger variety of themes including more mature themes.
OoT was rated E.

And HondaFoo, I always make fun of people who say kill. ;) Someone wrote in my yearbook this year, "Call me if you wanna chill." I point it out to people going, "So uh, yeah, I can't just hang out with Dylan here, I gotta "chill" with him instead."

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
(Image removed cuz Mediocre's is far better)

|
|
|
|
|
V

Why yes, we are. Look at the box on that picture and you'll see that it says E. GameSpot is just full of itself and thinks it can give OoT a totally different rating.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer

Notice the "E" in the righthand corner. Gamespot got it wrong.

EDIT: **** you CSHD. (I mean that in the nicest way)

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Thank you Mediocre. I couldn't find a large image. :B And I know what kind of **** you you mean... <3

Dapenda

Smash Champion
Well, if I couldn't rely on my source and OoT is actually rated-E. Then I tip my hat to you and I don't care if this Zelda is also released rated-E. I apologize for the misunderstanding

Sun

Red Dragon

Smash Lord
I'm weeks late of knowing but i don't care!..i had no idea there was another Zelda game coming out, i guess i have to stop having a life!

*Sheds tears of unspeakable joy

I'm so happy!

Linkzrath

Smash Journeyman
The sword Link is holding in the shots is not the Master Sword I'm familiar with. It doesn't look as cool. But tell me if im wrong.

Smashman

Smash Champion
Portland, Connecticut, U.S.A., Earth, Milky Way Ga
OoT=Best. Zelda. Ever.

My dream Zelda:

-Long, engrossing game with near-impossible but engaging enemies and puzzles which actually make you use your brain.

-10 dungeons (exactly)! The first two dungeons are like a prologue, in both Hyrule Castle and Ganon's Tower (where you permanently kill Ganon). The dungeons, afterwards during the actual game, include Forest, Fire, Water, Ice/Snow, Earth/Desert, Wind/Sky/Air, and Graveyard as themes. All final, original boss is on its own secluded island. They all span across four continents. Sailing for traveling between islands, and Epona on land.

-Near-impossible, strategic bosses ALSO making you use your brain. Agahnim=Hyrule Castle. Ganon=Ganon's Tower. Forest=Flamorous. Fire=Volgohma. Water=Aquamonstruple. Ice/Snow=Freezicle. Earth/Desert=Humplemac. Wind/Sky/Air=Vultorn. Graveyard=Hauntsohg. Final boss=Giant clown.

-40+ new items having no correlation with each other.

The Windwaker

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Nic64
Meh, am I the only person who thought MM was as good as OoT and LTTP? It was different, but still great and the changes were good IMO.
Nah, you're not alone. I personally thought that MM was better that OoT.

I really liked OoT because it brought the LoZ series into a 3D perspective adding more depth to gameplay. The story was amazing, but it wasn't "new" or "original". There were a lot of similarities between OoT and LttP, even some of the same places. Death Mountain and Kakariko village and some other places. Look, don't take me wrong guys, OoT was a great game. It changed the way people viewed Zelda games for now and a long way to come, but MM was just awesome.

It stepped away from Hyrule bringing a brand new land with a more original story. The time-traveling sequence for some was annoying, but I found it fun. The mask system was just awesome. It was the first Zelda game were you don't have to play as just a hylian... and that sequence in LttP where Link is a rabbit doesn't count. I mean, you can either be young Link which plays like the OoT Y.L., then we had Zora Link which added more to your swimming abilities. Goron endured speed and strenght... and deku was fun as ****. Not only this, but with these abilities, the puzzles had you do more that just what OoT offered. The masks added more depth to the game.

Smashman:

My dream Zelda is a 2D one like AoL.

Nic64

Smash Lord
A 2D Zelda on gamecube could be sweet, it could be so really really long and they could just rip off the mechanics of LTTP or something so they could work on the puzzles and other stuff for a really long time.

Linkzrath

Smash Journeyman
Four words for you, my dear Nic64:

Zelda: Four Swords Adventures.

It is just as you said it was: a 2d Zelda for Gamecube. That's what they did pretty much. Check out the topic on it...

Nic64

Smash Lord
Personally I think they would've done a lot better on that if they had not done multiplayer at all...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Here's an interview with Eiji Aonuma, producer of (duh) the new LOZ game.

What was the thinking behind using an adult Link this time?
We always think about how we are going to express Link. So in Ocarina Of Time we tried to express him as both a child and as an adult; in Majora's Mask, Link was a child; and we changed the style of art in Wind Waker, using toon-shading, and we expressed him as a child again. But this time we thought about it and something we hadn't done yet with the property was to express Link as an adult, so we tried to focus on that. We want to challenge that.

What was your reaction to those who disliked Wind Waker's cel shading?
The toon-shading graphics are very particular and I expected some likes and dislikes. Of course, it appeals to some people and others may not like it. But it was perfect for expressing Link as a child - and the gameplay was easy to control - so that's why we chose that style. But for people who actually played the game, I think they were satisfied because it was perfect style [sic] for Link in that game. For this new game of course I thought about some opinion that was given on Wind Waker, but it's not really the reason why we changed the style.

Can you explain why we're seeing a new Zelda game at E3, and not a new Mario? It seems that Zelda has more importance than Mario for Nintendo right now.
[Laughs] I feel that both franchises are very important for Nintendo, and I hope that the gameplay of the Mario franchise can be widened, too. But my main focus is the Zelda series. For Mario, Mr Miyamoto is going to be more involved in the future and we may be able to see more of Mario later.

The video we saw at the press conference showed lots of combat. Is the Zelda series becoming more violent?
When we started working on this project a lot of people thought, well, we're making this Link an adult, and we want to see a very cool Link, so the combat works well with that image of Link - how he throws his sword and puts it away; it looks very cool. But in Zelda games we always think about other elements, and there may be some funny, comical parts to it. It's possible that you'll see a wide variety of elements.

The video also focused on horseriding. Will this be a big part of the game?
One of the things about the horseriding is that it's really Mr Miyamoto's favourite. He always wanted to do that; he wanted to do that in Ocarina Of Time but it didn't happen. But this time I remembered that he mentioned it during Ocarina Of Time, so I suggested using this element in the new game. And Mr Miyamoto wanted to see Link fight on horseback, so I added that.

Does Mr Miyamoto ever have ideas to which you have to say 'no'?
[Laughs] Of course, I have a lot of communication with Mr Miyamoto and sometimes I can't tell if he is kidding, but sometimes he mentions things so many times that I think maybe he really wants to do it. So sometimes it works that way.

Games are obviously taking longer to develop nowadays. What are your thoughts on that?
I'm not really dissatisfied with the long process, but the graphics have improved and the technology allows us to pay more attention to details. It's good and bad. When we make mistakes we have to go back to the designer and the programmer and we have to fix it and it takes a long time. We always think about speeding up the process: how can we make it more efficient? With the new Zelda we're utilising the Wind Waker engine so we saved some time there. We're always thinking about re-utilising the materials we already have.

In the video we saw Link pushing blocks and other familiar elements. What new gameplay will you be introducing?
We're always working on new ideas, of course. But you see with the block, players already know that they'll be able to push it, but they may get a different result this time. So we're thinking about surprising players this time.
Good ol' shiggy. Just a kid at heart really. With a billion dollar games giant. Meh. Roll on!

Linkzrath

Smash Journeyman
-It's true. Shigeru Miyamoto probably is the only man on the planet who is better at video games than his kids! He is a kid in an adult's body. Thank god for Shigeru Miyamoto.

-Let us hope that every Zelda game continues to outdo its predecessors. It has led the way for adventure games, and may it continue to do so! Long Live Link!

KingMewtwo1112

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Linkzrath
-It's true. Shigeru Miyamoto probably is the only man on the planet who is better at video games than his kids!
Actually, I remember reading in a interview he said he couldn't beat his kids in Smash Bros.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
In the video we saw Link pushing blocks and other familiar elements. What new gameplay will you be introducing?
We're always working on new ideas, of course. But you see with the block, players already know that they'll be able to push it, but they may get a different result this time. So we're thinking about surprising players this time.
How much different can't they make pushing blocks to be...??

Nic64

Smash Lord
-It's true. Shigeru Miyamoto probably is the only man on the planet who is better at video games than his kids! He is a kid in an adult's body. Thank god for Shigeru Miyamoto.

He doesn't touch children at night does he? o.O

RichBrown

Smash Master
Originally posted by Metroid Killer
How much different can't they make pushing blocks to be...??
maybe if you strike the block with your sword, the block developes a face and does stand up.

with an arrow, the block will become round and start rolling at you like indiana jones.

if you punch it, maybe the room will get dark and a voice from overhead will say, " WHAT THE **** DID YOU DO THAT FOR?!?"

just a thought.

ok, seriously now, MK has a point. nintendo is really big on this innovation and new styles of gameplay, but what the point of "new block pushing?" block pushing has been the same in not only all zelda games, but every single game which requires it.

of course, miyamoto always has some really weird tricks up his sleeve, so it will be interesting what he does here.

overall, some very stunning visuals, and some cool looking gameplay. i dont doubt for a second that the footage from SW 2000 was this upcoming zelda. im sort of glad that the 1st was cell shaded, because with this one i can look forward to an entirely different atmosphere, itstead of the same ol' colors n' crap.

EDIT: lets compare spaceworld and the brand new visual (sincere apologies if someone did this already, which my gut instinct tells me someone did....

on second thought, one is a bit less colorful than the other.... any theories out there?

Ice_Climbers2

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wasn't the Space World demo using early models designed for SSBM? If you look at the Link and Ganondorf models, the smallest detail is exactly the same as their Melee counterpart.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Link looks way different in SSBM. I don't see where you're getting that they look almost exactly alike from. Link looks more anime-ish to me in SSBM, whereas in the Spaceworld video he looks to be more life-like.

E3 2004 Link > Spaceworld 2000 Link

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The comparason above also shows clearly that he isn't using the Master Sword.

firaga01

Smash Lord
http://cube.ign.com/articles/513/513375p1.html

The LoZ in SpaceWorld 2000 was a demo of the current LoZ in development.

This leaves us with two options:

1. The WW engine was made around 2000 and Nintendo has been working on two Zelda games at the same time. :eek:

2. Nintendo developed the SpaceWorld 2000 demo, perhaps to show gamers what to expect in the future, or simply to show off what the GameCube was capable of. It was then shelved to allow production of WW. Then, when WW was finished, work began again on this current LoZ.

Personally, I believe my the second theory is closer to what actually occurred. Does Nintendo have the resources to manage working on two LoZ titles at the same time? Probably yes. Would it want to tap so much talent? Maybe, maybe not. Then again, Nintendo DOES understand how much this game would have appealed to the Hardcore community, so the idea really isn't really that absurd.

WW was an attempt by Nintendo to take Zelda in a new direction; it let the developers work with things they'd normally never do because styles like cell-shading are so unique. In a way, it helped them "spread their wings," I guess. Now, however, the innovativeness Nintendo is so well known for is out the window, and they're returning to making the things people want in a Zelda game, which, in my opinion, is a horrible idea, but that in ittself is an entirely different topic.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Did you read the stuff in that link Firaga?

Not only has it secretly been working on a brand new Legend of Zelda title inspired by its famous Space World 2000 demo
Inspired. Not a demo of a game in development.

Nic64

Smash Lord
1. The WW engine was made around 2000 and Nintendo has been working on two Zelda games at the same time.

2. Nintendo developed the SpaceWorld 2000 demo, perhaps to show gamers what to expect in the future, or simply to show off what the GameCube was capable of. It was then shelved to allow production of WW. Then, when WW was finished, work began again on this current LoZ.

The SpaceWorld 2000 demo was just a video to show off GC's power. It had nothing to do with this Zelda or WW. This game is being developed using WW's engine. They were not making two Zelda games at the same time, and never had planned to make the SW2k demo a game.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Firaga, there's no way to tell if they aren't taking the game in a new direction yet. Nothing's known about the gameplay, maybe wait a bit before you assume stuff?

and on topic, I dunno, the game looks alright I guess. I'm not nearly as excited as I was when I saw the Spaceworld 2000 demo.

firaga01

Smash Lord
Originally posted by Nic64

The SpaceWorld 2000 demo was just a video to show off GC's power. It had nothing to do with this Zelda or WW. This game is being developed using WW's engine. They were not making two Zelda games at the same time, and never had planned to make the SW2k demo a game. [/B]
Are you on crack?! You think that Nintendo didn't know what the sales numbers of WW would look like?! My guess is that they've been planning to do this LoZ for a long, long time, and just decided to do WW last minute to throw some "unique stuff" into the Zelda franchise. After all, every Zelda game can't just be a crisper-looking rehash of the previous title with a few new game features.

Luigi, I don't need to assume what the game is going to be like. Look at Nintendo's track record. History does repeat itself, you know. They redid OoT and called it Majora's Mask. For Christ's sake, it took them a YEAR to make MM. One stupid year. They took what should have been one game and divided it into two (Oracle of Seasons & Oracle of Ages) to get gamers to pay twice as much money. It's not exclusive to Zelda, either. I'm sure you've heard of Pokemon, right?

Nintendo knows what gamers want, and they were always planning on delivering, but they wanted to try something a little different first to see how they'd respond. The answer, as they expected, was that most people want a realistic Zelda and not what they consider some cartoony ****.

Sequels: the one thing aspect Nintendo isn't stubborn.

Nic64

Smash Lord
Your conspiracy theory keeps getting more entertaining, false, but entertaining none the less.

Are you on crack?! You think that Nintendo didn't know what the sales numbers of WW would look like?! My guess is that they've been planning to do this LoZ for a long, long time, and just decided to do WW last minute to throw some "unique stuff" into the Zelda franchise. After all, every Zelda game can't just be a crisper-looking rehash of the previous title with a few new game features.

They knew that WW may have worse sale figures than normal, but they took the risk because they do what they want to. That's why Nintendo is good, even if something turns out bad every now and then they try new stuff. WW was not done last minute, and it was very different from other Zelda's. Your claim that it is just a rehash really has no weight behind it.

History does repeat itself, you know. They redid OoT and called it Majora's Mask.

MM was one of the most unique Zelda's. Just because they use the same graphics engine doesn't mean it's the same, your beliefs about this are laughable.

But I do agree about pokémon, "hey...lets make a red and a blue version that are almost the same!" <_<

The Windwaker

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by firaga01

They redid OoT and called it Majora's Mask. For Christ's sake, it took them a YEAR to make MM. One stupid year.
... excuse me? As Nic64 said, Majoras Mask had to be one of the most unique Zelda games to this date. I have no idea where you came across that they "redid" Ocarina of Time and just labled it Majora's Mask.

*slaps*
I challenge you to a duel!

I'm sure you've heard of Pokemon, right?
Hey, it sells :cool:... and I buy:(

NukeA6

Smash Master
I hope this new Zelda is the best of the series and has the most climactic(sp?) final battle yet.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
It's amazing how deep you guys can go into videogames. It's pretty entertaining to read.

I know one thing for sure though, the Spaceworld 2000 demo was just a video. Not a game.

DukieMan1223

Smash Lord
Originally posted by NukeA6
I hope this new Zelda is the best of the series and has the most climactic(sp?) final battle yet.
Thanks for that insight, my good man.

So what are the thoughts on this? Is this Wind Waker 2 or a completely different chapter in the Zelda Universe. I don't see too much water.

Nic64

Smash Lord
It seems unlikely to be a direct sequel to WW, given the lack of water and changes in the world. One pic appears to show a OoT esque hyrule field...could it perhaps take place before WW somehow? If you read the LoZ time-line discussion in this forum or are well informed about LoZ theories then you know that it is also speculated that there is a fork in time but MM is the only game occuring on the right time-line, perhaps this takes place along that fork(since it couldn't take place on the same one as WW if it is in OoT's hyrule). Like most Zelda games this will probably answer some questions, but create many more...some unanswered questions that I've noticed lately: If Hyrule was destroyed and there is no one who knows anything about it, why is so much of it at least similar in LTTP(Kakariko, Death mountain, lake hylia, the lost woods...) which takes place far after OoT/WW? Why is Ganon killed twice? Is LTTP or LoZ the last game in the series? Is the new hyrule found, or grown out of the great sea as the Deku tree suggests is possible? Or are none of these related to each other, that each hyrule is in a seperate universe similar to hyrule and termina of Majora's Mask...just two of many many possibilities of the multiverse, yet similar at the same time?

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Firaga, i commend you for having an unpopular idea and sticking to it. While i agree that Nintendo has had this new Zelda in the works a lot longer than they'd admit to anyone else, i don't agree that they just threw WindWaker together at the last second either. I think Nintendo had more of an idea of what they were doing creating hype for a realistic Zelda game (I mean come on, video or no video, showing something as blatantly Zelda as the Spaceworld video, Nintendo knew what kind of conclusion fans were going to draw from it), then releasing the exact opposite type of game, only to announce a realistic game. Has anyone observed the type of reaction this game has gotten already? I gaurentee it would not have gotten this type of reaction if it had not been preceeded by Wind Waker. Hence why i believe Nintendo's been planning this since the SpaceWorld video, regaurdless of if it was "made from" said video. Hence the conection everyone seems to notice. As far as OoT vs. MM, i also see your point. I don't think MM was a rehash of OoT so much as there simply wasn't the same level of effort put into it. MM had so much untapped potential that was obviously overlooked, whereas OoT obviously was used to its potential. Also, both WW and MM to me had a feel of just being thrown together because they were so unnessesarily short. And while both are good games, they undeniably could have been better if more time had been spent on them.
As far as the whole issue of where this new game fits in with the previous games, i tend to throw out the idea that they are all unconnected alternate universes, because they already contain alternate universes such as termina, with reference to the original Hyrule. There's no reason to assume the games are unconnected becuse given enough time between each game, its possible for them to fit together, and of course there are the constant reference in each game to other games. Until now, the Zelda games have been a fairly predictable formula. Every odd game introduced a new Link and Zelda, having them defeat Gannon. Every even game then detailed the later adventures of the Link from the previous game. The Oracle games presented an odity, but only in that the cycle was reversed, introducing Gannon and Zelda in the second half of the story instead of the first. However, Four Swords presents a bit of a problem with that formula if it is factored in, as it doesn't appear to fit with Wind Waker. Maybe Four Swords and Minnish Cap will be related? In any case, it seems that the previous formula has been discarded, or maybe it was unintentional in previous games. Anyways, I think there is a good case both for it being a continuation of WW and for it not being a continuation of WW. There's the notable fact that Link is older, and from the way he is talked about it seems as though he is an already established Link, not a new one. However, there is also the notable lack of water and boats and explination for where they went and what happened to them. Then again, this could be a story about Link and Zelda establishing a new Hyrule which is the Hyrule in LttP/LoZ/other Zelda games which take place after WW. In any case, the point is... your guess is as good as anyones right now.

I think i overdid it cause that's gotta be more than two cents... that's like... five cents at least... it feels kinda weird saying that's my daily nickel... um... nevermind...

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Spaceworld 2000 was a tech video, end of story. I have that entire video. It shows off not just Zelda, as many people believe, but, as KI mentioned, a Luigi's Mansion video, a video of a bunch of Pokemon bouncing around, a video of Samus running down a hallway and firing a shot, and a short video of what could be Mario 128. Unlike the others, Mario 128 looks like actual game graphics, although I believe they used the engine for that in Pikmin (if you've seen it, you'll see how similarly the Marios move compared to Pikmin. But for the other three videos, it was just graphics demos to show off the Gamecube's power, in light of trying to overthrow the PS2 and overshadow the XBox. The Samus model looks nothing like the one used for Metroid Prime, the Pokemon video centers on Meowth playing a guitar, and Link looks totally different than he does now.

What I'm saying is, forget about the Spaceworld video altogether. It's nothing but a video to show off the GC's graphical prowess.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
I'm just wondering... cause i don't have a lot of access to all the material concerning this new game (mainly do to an outdated computer)... but with all of this talk about how the Spaceworld video has nothing to do with what we've been shown about this game... what all do we have for this new game aside from a video? I thought that was all we've seen (not to be concerned with what we've been promised)? And isn't that all we had a few years ago at Spaceworld? hmmm...

In an effort to drop it, i'm going to stop right there, I'm merely trying to make a simple point; Spaceworld Video = Video. Unveiling of new Zelda game = Video. Correct me if i'm wrong, because my information is sometimes archaic. But it seems to me that if that's all we have right now, its hypocrytical to chastise people for suspecting that there was a connection between the two VIDEOS.

Anyways, enough on that subject. I was thinking and i find myself really hoping they make some innovations as far as Link's equipment. I mean, that's a huge chunk of what Zelda is; cool weapons. Is the idea of a whip too crazy? How abot an Ax? Haven't seen Link with an ax before. What about classic weapons? This time around, call me radical, but i think it would be cool to do something different for the fire and ice elements than arrows. I dunno, it just seems like Bow overdependence to me. I wouldn't mind seeing the return of the Deku Leaf, but something tells me it won't fit in too well with this game. I was never a big fan of the grappling hook. Beyond that, i'm sure all the classic weapons will be back. Any ideas for new weapons?

Top Bottom