• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (USE SPOILER TAGS)

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
*gasp* How do you find these things MK?! You're like a god!

HeroOfTime

BRoomer
BRoomer
It looks like they're from the Extended Trailer, being the screen with Link riding Epona through the water was mentioned in IGN's impressions.

MK's almost as cool as Reggie! :p

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Originally posted by Metroid Killer
I gotta say that Link doesn't look that great graphic wise in that picture. Well, it's just the tunic and other clothing really.

Anyways, good find MK.

Originally posted by Giygas
I'm not sure if I like the top-down idea for the rest of the dungeons.
Ditto, in one of the screens though you can see the angle that they are talking about. I don't like it. Reminds me of the RE series. It's the screen where Link is jumping off a leap going down to I believe a treasure chest (I can't remember exactly). But yeah, I'd rather have free camera like in Wind Waker... I loved Wind Waker's camera.

ExMachina

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping that the top-down perspective is not the camera angle throughout whole dungeons, but maybe only for certain, specific areas. They should use the traditional perspective for most of the dungeon and switch to the top-down camera simply when there's a puzzle/room layout that would be hard to see otherwise.

EDIT:
Originally posted by Metroid Killer
Actually as far as I remember that overhead view happens in some dungeons in OoT, I recall it happening in the Fire Temple in a maze-like room.
Dang, good memory there, MK. :) I don't remember if the top-down perspective was present in WW though... But that's exactly how I believe Nintendo is going to use this camera angle in the upcoming game.

Afrotaki

Gay skies today.
BRoomer
Originally posted by ExMachina
I don't remember if the top-down perspective was present in WW though... But that's exactly how I believe Nintendo is going to use this camera angle in the upcoming game.
Actually, it sorta was... in the Tower of the Gods, when you had to use the Command Melody to control the statues, there was one room where you had to navigate it through a maze of walkway, and it was kinda half top-down, at an angle.

ExMachina

Smash Journeyman
Afrotaki: Good memory there too. :)

Hmm, so I wonder why Nintendo's touting this 'new' top-down perspective when it was already sorta implemented in both OoT and WW (maybe in MM too?)... It wasn't that unusual for the camera to lock in a certain perspective aside from the default (OoT's Hyrule Castle bush mazes, another example) when it was convenient.

Another thing... Is it just me, or do some of the animations look a bit unnatural? Like after the spin attack, Link just sort of... stops. And the classic overhead, two-handed, jumping swing... it looks just like it did in WW. Fine for chibi-toon Link, but a bit awkward looking for the teenage version.

I guess they probably just took the animations straight from WW because they're using a modified version of its engine. I'm not worried though... Nintendo has always been a stickler for natural looking animations (Melee being the prime example), and they probably just haven't yet gotten around to getting motion captures.

Oh yeah, some eye candy for you folks...

Giant, high-res Link character art (this is what I used for my wallpaper...)

And...

:D

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
They should use the traditional perspective for most of the dungeon and switch to the top-down camera simply when there's a puzzle/room layout that would be hard to see otherwise.
Top-down is the traditional perspective. I count at least 6 Zelda games that use top-down, and only 3 that use 3rd person.

Hmm, so I wonder why Nintendo's touting this 'new' top-down perspective when it was already sorta implemented in both OoT and WW
Because you're assuming that the camera is only going to switch for certain puzzles. According to Nintendo, it will always be in top-down perspective, except when fighting, or to zoom in while pushing a block, etc. None of the other games have had it like that, so therefore the touting.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Well, I suppose that technically nobody has said that this is a direct WW sequel. I was just guessing. People were referring to it as WW2 while in development (as stated in the interview KI posted). I could be wrong, but it's not like one Link is better than another Link.
No, it's not.

But from this screen looks a **** of a lot like OoT Hyrule to me.

See?

Ace(Fox)

Smash Ace
Actaully Mediocre, I can't see. I don't know though. It may be my crappy *** computer.

Edit: Thanks for telling me there, buddy! (sarcasm) I can see you do not like me..... meh..... I really don't know what to say.......

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I really don't see the resemblance between that Red X and Ocarina of Time.

They also used top-down view in Majora's Mask. When you're Deku Link, and you visit the Deku Temple for the first time, and you walk through the little maze, avoiding the Deku guards, eventually getting to the end where you can buy the Magic Beans.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Hey you.

Yeah, you, Ace(Fox).

Don't post your sig if your sig is larger than the bulk in your post.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
The image works just fine on my computer.

Here's hoping IGN lets you remote load their images.

Better now?

Good.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Originally posted by Ace(Fox)
But everything looks smoother, not as edgy.
Well, it's would seem evident that the Gamecube is capable of smoother graphics than the 64.

It could be OoT Hyrule, although they said it's a completely new adventure. I'm still waiting to see, although you can't deny that it looks similar to OoT.

That definitely looks like the entrance to the city in OoT, minus the drawbridge.

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
It seems to me that having the castle and stuff be OoT Hyrule-based makes sense. I mean, if we're talking about Adult Link here, it'll be 7 years after the events of OoT, won't it?

Also, has there been any word on who the bad guy will be? I'm hesitating to say that it's Ganon/dorf, cuz in the intro to WW it said that Ganon returned, but the Hero of Time did not reappear . . . and judging from the trailer Link isn't going anywhere far from Hyrule.

Of course, Ganon could be influencing his minions from the Sacred Realm using the Triforce of Power . . .

*looks at what he just wrote*

Oh my god, and I thought I was a nerd because I read Star Wars novels. I'm speculating on a video game citing references from all the other games in the series . . .

*runs off to watch trailer for the 6.022x10^23 time*

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Originally posted by Quailman
but what has been the best zelda game so far?
All of them.

This could very well be a whole new game in a whole new place. This could be Link finding Navi (dang!) and finding that they are in another place that has a castle and a stream. Or just a whole new time period.

Jamo

Smash Journeyman
You all must understand that this game is probably in its Alpha stages. My guess is that the game will be basically fully playable by this Christmas. And they will release the demo May 2005. Possibly released to the public Summer-Winter 2005. :-)
Anyway i watch all versions of the trailer and the Shiggy's speach and crowed reaction. Personally it feels cool watching the one that was shown live at E3. The crowd gives you a tantalizing feeling of awe. :chuckle:
Metroid Prime and Legend Of Zelda will rock the video game world!!!

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Originally posted by Jamo
And they will release the demo May 2005.
The game is suppose to be released by then... That way Nintendo can release it in early 2005 and still show it at E3.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
When did Nintendo say when they were releasing it? The only bits of info we got on a release date were "coming in 2005" and the IGN interview in which what's-his-name said that they plan to have a playable demo ready by E3 2005.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Which world is it? COuld it be the pre-flood Hyrule? Or is it another?

This Link seems to be a year younger than the grown up Link from OoT. Besides there's always the chance it's "the new Hyrule...no a land of your own" the King of Hyrule spoke of in WW.
Then of course it could be the 'multi Link' theory in action...while on Link from OoT is lying in wait for 7 years with the Master Sword, his other self that lived on after MM could be this Link shown here, explaining the sword that obviously isn't the Master Sword he weilds, and leaving the possiblility open that once Hero of Time Link returned to the past the new Link from the trailer could have to reseal Ganon when he gets out....or something.
The trailer Link however appears to be carrying the Hylian sheild and not the Hero sheild from MM which would confirm it being the post MM Link. Mysteries always exist when a new Zelda reveals itself to the first light of the general public....I suppose all you can do is wait and speculate.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Re: Which world is it? COuld it be the pre-flood Hyrule? Or is it another?

Originally posted by Cronos_Rainbow
This Link seems to be a year younger than the grown up Link from OoT.
I'm just curious as to how you came to the conclusion that he's a year younger than a previously and still anonymously aged individual.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
In the beginning of the Wind Waker, it's Link's 12th birthday...

the game says it's the same age as when the hero of time came forth (the hero of time being OOT's young Link). So, Young Link is 12 in OOT as well as in WW (even though WW took place hundreds of years after OOT, just both young Links in both games are twelve). Anyway, in OOT, A period of 7 years seperated young Link from adult Link, so it's safe to assume adult Link is 19 years old in OOT.

The new Link for this GameCube version is supposedly 16 years old... a quote from Shiggy:

But since then [The Wind Waker], we've been left with a very big question: and that was, what are we going to do when we decide to make Link a teenager again -- a 16-year-old Link. So after Wind Waker we tried several different models and made varied versions of them. Ultimately we decided that in showing a teenage Link really the best style of expressing him would be something that's closer to our graphical style in Ocarina of Time.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Ah, I got it now.

When peopole discuss the Zelda universe, or whatever you want to call it, they always leave out the early games. I'm wondering, is there an official timeline for all the Zelda games? So far, I know Oot is first, then Majora's Mask shortly after, and then Wind Waker hundreds of year later, but where do the other games fall into place?

Magus

Lone Wolf
BRoomer
Originally posted by McFox
Ah, I got it now.

When peopole discuss the Zelda universe, or whatever you want to call it, they always leave out the early games. I'm wondering, is there an official timeline for all the Zelda games? So far, I know Oot is first, then Majora's Mask shortly after, and then Wind Waker hundreds of year later, but where do the other games fall into place?
You can go to this old topic for much speculation (I think it's all pre-WW).

Maybe it could use a bump or something. It was a nice topic in its time.

cowwa-f'n-bunga

Smash Apprentice
"but when darkness falls... will the hero rise again? Or will darkness reign?"

isn't that a line from one of the histories in WW? if it is then it's likely that this does take place sometime around OoT.

i'll have to go look for the quote though.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Which Link?

You want to know which Link it is?

If Nintendo are true totally to their story then this isn't the OoT Link...it has no Hero sheild....which is what the grown up MM Link would use if not the other sheilds gathered in OoT and MM. The featured horse however does look like Epona.

It has the same fighting style as the Link from WW...hair is parted on the side (I know this is a rather variable factor) and it was titled 'Wind Waker 2' as well as focusing on Moblins as WW had. Once again I stress the 'new Hyrule' theory.

Look, some older games have Link with red hair...so if it were to be a continuation...this Link would not have blond hair....but then again who know what whacky tricks Nintendo wants to pull next....for instance WW says the sheild recieved in the beginning is the'hero sheild' passed down the family. Was it stolen from the former Link? It sure wasn't the OoT Links, the king of Hyrule and Jabun discuss and conclude that..'he's not related!'...is the only relation by the courage innate in Link or is there a reason for the ancient hylian speaking dynamo pair to tell fibs?

How about the Link from Oracle games...is it the same Link from WW in between the years of WW and 'WW2' if it is WW2 in the first place? perhaps the Links awakening Link is nothing but a entirely different Link again? what of the connections from LA to OoT...are they just to throw us off like those between WW and OoT I mentioned earlier?

The layout of the WW world conflicts with the former Hyrule of OoTs also....the GDT from WW claims to be that same sprout of the OoT GDT....he speaks of the warrior in green clothing....or is he speaking of another Link...perhaps confused and speaking of the Link from Oracle games...."Was that even the same guy!?!" *GDT breaks down in confusion*

Could it be the same Link from LoZ and LA after all? surely we can't rule that out either. Large fields full of enemies, which themselves are surrounded by forests and lakes with dead trees rising out of them....sounds like original (oldschool) Link territory to me....but that can't be right can it? He appears to have some kind of relation to the WW and OoT worlds...as if they or atleast OoT was in its past. Was there another Hyrule to explain the marvelous towns such as those boasting the names of the OoT sages and the legendary "I am Error"? Surely this could be the same 'new Hyrule' and be set after WW...and distant legends give name to the towns which are in turn named after the sages and not the contrary.

What of the statements made that the postmen in WW are former Zora evolved...if that were true, then howcome there are Zora again in the new Hyrule? Did they 'devolve'? What a load of $%^&! Maybe the Zelda games are just a whole heap of remakes with Link put in a new Hyrule every single time...except for the occassional sequels made recently such as the more popular MM and WW example.

Don't try to understand the Zelda universe...just take what is told to you. If you bothered to read all of this you would realise there is no point...there are many more "facts" that would simply blow these theories of mine + their counters out of the water...though these themselves bring rise to a new set of counters that once again support some of those I have written here.
Do yourself a favour and save the headache...let Nintendo do the stressing out over how the series will eventually make sense...if it IS possible.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
In Wind Waker's introduction the game said something along the lines of "Darkness once again overcame the kingdom... But the hero did not return. Darkness ruled over the kingdom."

Giygas - I'm just repeating what I heard and one of the NOA's on Nintendo's message boards said that the game would be out by May 2005.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Holy Uber underwear Batman! According to EBgames.com and Gamestop.com, this game is due....October 18th! WTF?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
That's weird.

http://ebgames.com/ebx/product/243453.asp

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=T000031

Although right there in the EBGames description it says:

EBGames
In 2005, Link will be let loose on a new and exciting Nintendo GameCube excursion to fight evil and seek treasure. Stay tuned for more information!
Obviously, their dates are off, although I have no idea why they would post it early. The game isn't coming out until next year, I'm 99.9% positive.

*EDIT* So far, Amazon.com, Target, Wal*Mart, Yahoo Shopping, and Nintendo.com have it set for next year or don't have anything up yet. And the product description above that was on EBGames is actually the official Nintendo description as of now on Nintendo.com.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
OMG this game is everyone's dream come true...

In the meantime, in regards to the Zelda timeline etc...
I think it's fairly obvious that all of the games do not fit together, and frankly, I don't think they ever will, so for God's sake, stop speculating, and just wait and see...

Anyways, what's up with the nintendo.com site?

They seem to have removed all traces of the game from the site...and we all know it was there before....

wtf is going on...

atmagamer

Smash Ace
does anyone know when this game is expected for japan release, i have a specialy game store around and I might go and get this when it comes out in Japan

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Originally posted by atmagamer
does anyone know when this game is expected for japan release, i have a specialy game store around and I might go and get this when it comes out in Japan
It still won't be out there until next year either. They're planning on having a playable demo at next E3, to give you an idea.

Top Bottom