• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I still think Roy won't get in.

Cool, unique attacks? They're the same animations as Marth.

Popular in his own series (like Lucas and Mewtwo [despite lack of competitive popularity])? No, he's kinda hated for having nothing really special to him unlike most other Lords.

Competitive popularity (like Falco despite clonehood)? Nope.

I think Lucina has a better chance of being decloned for SSB5. And even that is less likely than her being replaced with another Marth clone from whatever Fire Emblem gets released around that time.

Marthmario

Smash Lord

Popular in his own series (like Lucas and Mewtwo [despite lack of competitive popularity])? No, he's kinda hated for having nothing really special to him unlike most other Lords.

I think Lucina has a better chance of being decloned for SSB5. And even that is less likely than her being replaced with another Marth clone from whatever Fire Emblem gets released around that time.
Ahem. I'll attempt to answer all of these points.

-Smash 4 doesn't equal Melee Marth, so the whole uniqueness thing isn't truly important e.g. Dr. Mario and Mario in Smash 4

-Not hated, but not the most liked in his series. However; in Smash he's very well liked by most who were given the chance to use him. I would make a point about him being in PM, but I see you're "anti-Project M" so whatever.

-Just because you're not competitively popular doesn't mean you can't come move into the next game. Mewtwo isn't competitively popular in Melee, but look who's coming to Smash 4.

-This point is a personal opinion, so I got nothing.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Roy is pretty much ONLY liked because of Melee nostalgia. And as a Marth clone, is easily not just cut, but replaceable, even.

Contrast with Mewtwo, who is liked because he's a great Pokemon in his home series with awesome stats, a badass design, and wasn't a clone in Melee.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Roy is pretty much ONLY liked because of Melee nostalgia. And as a Marth clone, is easily not just cut, but replaceable, even.

Contrast with Mewtwo, who is liked because he's a great Pokemon in his home series with awesome stats, a badass design, and wasn't a clone in Melee.
So? Don't people like Dr. Mario because of Melee nostalgia? What's wrong with Roy returning? His style of fighting is a clone of Marth's, yes. However; he still has originality with: design, gimmick, and move properties. Marth has a new neutral B now, which would further differentiate Roy from Marth.

Yet, why did people want him? People wanted him due in part of Melee Nostalgia, many players loved Mewtwo in Smash and wanted him back, it wasn't all because of his home series.

I mean, if Dr. Mario can return... why can't Roy?

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35

Melee nostalgia or not, plenty of people would like to see Roy return.

This is mostly opinion, yes Roy was a clone and Mewtwo wasn't but it's not like Melee Mewtwo had anything special about him either, he had a pretty generic moveset which is why he's getting a new moveset to fit his character better. I don't see what's stopping Sakurai from changing Roy's moves to fit his character as well.

Quillion

Smash Hero
So? Don't people like Dr. Mario because of Melee nostalgia? What's wrong with Roy returning? His style of fighting is a clone of Marth's, yes. However; he still has originality with: design, gimmick, and move properties. Marth has a new neutral B now, which would further differentiate Roy from Marth.

Yet, why did people want him? People wanted him due in part of Melee Nostalgia, many players loved Mewtwo in Smash and wanted him back, it wasn't all because of his home series.

I mean, if Dr. Mario can return... why can't Roy?
The only reason Dr. Mario even returned was because of a tornado that everyone was demanding. It would've apparently been impossible to put in a Tornado custom considering the rule that customs need to be variants of moves that are already there (Palutena and Miis being exceptions), and Mario already has a "fakenado" that would've looked awkward along with the Tornado.

Roy's position as a Marth clone is very easily replaceable. You could put in any Fire Emblem Lord in his place, even Ike if they chose to go that route.

And when I say that Mewtwo was unique, I really mean that he wasn't a clone. There's very little Melee nostalgia with Mewtwo's popularity since it was already enormously popular and an icon among Legendaries in Pokemon.

If Melee nostalgia was really a valid thing, people would want Pichu, the joke of Melee, back.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
The only reason Dr. Mario even returned was because of a tornado that everyone was demanding. It would've apparently been impossible to put in a Tornado custom considering the rule that customs need to be variants of moves that are already there (Palutena and Miis being exceptions), and Mario already has a "fakenado" that would've looked awkward along with the Tornado.

Roy's position as a Marth clone is very easily replaceable. You could put in any Fire Emblem Lord in his place, even Ike if they chose to go that route.

And when I say that Mewtwo was unique, I really mean that he wasn't a clone. There's very little Melee nostalgia with Mewtwo's popularity since it was already enormously popular and an icon among Legendaries in Pokemon.

If Melee nostalgia was really a valid thing, people would want Pichu, the joke of Melee, back.
Se. mario returned because he was supposed to be an Alt for Mario, and that had extra time to make him his own character in Smash 4. Yes, customs have to be variations of the original, that's a rule set by Sakurai and his team (with Miis and Palutena being the exceptions to this rule).

Yes, you could. They could honestly cut Marth if they wanted. Yet, they don't. Also, people have an attachment to Roy, (a good example of that being this thread).

Well first off Mewtwo is a clone of Mew. :troll: Joking aside, Mewtwo is popular in Pokemon yes, but the full fledged fanboying for him coming back was due to his removal in Brawl. People loved him in Melee and they wanted him to return, so yes Melee nostalgia was a huge factor to his return.

And people do want Pichu back.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Se. mario returned because he was supposed to be an Alt for Mario, and that had extra time to make him his own character in Smash 4. Yes, customs have to be variations of the original, that's a rule set by Sakurai and his team (with Miis and Palutena being the exceptions to this rule).

Yes, you could. They could honestly cut Marth if they wanted. Yet, they don't. Also, people have an attachment to Roy, (a good example of that being this thread).

Well first off Mewtwo is a clone of Mew. :troll: Joking aside, Mewtwo is popular in Pokeman yes, but the full fledged fanboying for him coming back was due to his removal in Brawl. People loved him in Melee and they wanted him to return, so yes Melee nostalgia was a huge factor to his return.

And people do want Pichu back.
Marth is an icon of the series by virtue of being the first Lord. And he's consistently been the most popular Lord in Japan since the beginning of the series. Removing him would almost be like removing Mario.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Marth is an icon of the series by virtue of being the first Lord. And he's consistently been the most popular Lord in Japan since the beginning of the series. Removing him would almost be like removing Mario.
I was just saying that as a possibility, I know it won't happen. They could have chosen to remove Marth going into Brawl, but they kept him. I do enjoy how you ignored all my other points.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

>Says this.
>Dr. Mario is his own slot again.

Don't see what you mean by this.

If the Tornado was such a huge demand, then why wasn't it given to regular Mario in the first place? Couldn't they have gotten rid of the godforsaken FLUDD and restore his old Down Air?

Simply put, the Doc was meant to be an alt, but like Lucina and Dark Pit, he was turned into a clone.

And that is exactly the reason why no one (most, at least) wants another obscure lord; we already have a Marth clone. Two in fact, counting Lucina. You know, maybe that contributed to Lucina getting so much backlash when she was announced.

Besides, there's also the chance that Roy could get decloned a la Falco. Maybe getting to semi clone status like Lucas or Wolf (who are likely to be DLC before Roy)

The thing is, it's kind of unfair to compare Mewtwo with Roy. Mewtwo had EVERYTHING going for him towards being playable; popularity, recency, demand, veteran status, etc. Roy only had a little bit of each in comparison.

Who knows, knowing Sakurai, Pichu may even end up being a DLC character alongside Roy and Mewtwo.

Although Pichu isn't even near as demanded as Roy, and even then Roy could inherit some of Pichu's traits if they explore the rushdown style of gameplay for Roy (my moveset is an example of it).

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Like I said before, Marth and Lucina's Shield Breakers are elegant stabbing moves, Ike's Eruption is slamming his sword into the ground setting up a massive explosion, while all this time, Roy's Flare Blade is a vertical swipe imbued with the fire. If you ask me, Shield Breaker 2.0 is more befitting of Marth, since he's all about elegance and spacing. Roy's all about close-up and personal gameplay.

[EDIT] \OoO/
Oh my gosh, this is just glorious!! It's just as good as the remix they used in Roy's PM trailer!:laugh: And if Project M ever comes out to PAL regions, I'm just going for my Boy.:roypm: Also, it seems that if you listen carefully, the recruitment theme for Roy's game (Which I heard was borrowed from Genealogy of the Holy Wars) is also present too! Not sure if it means much for Roy, but keep this in mind!

Last edited:

ItsRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elibe-Guardian
3DS FC
3239-2802-5492

He is a popular and well received character in Japan, the only hate I generally see towards him is from western kids who sucked at his game on an emulator who're mad he doesn't charge in and clear entire maps for them like Ike or something until the end of the game, which is totally what FE is supposed to be about. Right.

On the other hand, I love how you mentioned Lucas. Did you even do any research of your own? Popularity polls that I've seen around the net have Lucas and Mother 3 pretty low in Japan. Mother 3 is generally the least liked of the series in the game's country of origin. Roy's game, on the contrary, is quite popular and well received overall. As I have cited, and the OP has cited.

Edit: And for the record, I don't have anything against Lucas and hope he and most vets make it back. That's not the point here though.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
He is a popular and well received character in Japan, the only hate I generally see towards him is from western kids who sucked at his game on an emulator who're mad he doesn't charge in and clear entire maps for them like Ike or something until the end of the game, which is totally what FE is supposed to be about. Right.

On the other hand, I love how you mentioned Lucas. Did you even do any research of your own? Popularity polls that I've seen around the net have Lucas and Mother 3 pretty low in Japan. Mother 3 is generally the least liked of the series in the game's country of origin. Roy's game, on the contrary, is quite popular and well received overall. As I have cited, and the OP has cited.

Edit: And for the record, I don't have anything against Lucas and hope he and most vets make it back. That's not the point here though.
You sure about Roy being popular in Japan? I thought that Japanese FE fans like Marth and hold all the other Lords as being meh.

And yes, I know about MOTHER 3 being unpopular in Japan due to its shifting perspective thing. But it doesn't change the fact that he's popular everywhere else.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
You sure about Roy being popular in Japan? I thought that Japanese FE fans like Marth and hold all the other Lords as being meh.

And yes, I know about MOTHER 3 being unpopular in Japan due to its shifting perspective thing. But it doesn't change the fact that he's popular everywhere else.
Dude, other lords besides Marth are popular in Japan.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Guys, Roy's on Twitter: @royforsmash4

So make sure to follow and tweet out #royforsmash4. Title and account name are kinda placeholders since I just quickly put something down. Feel free to suggest names, as I totally cannot think right now tired and under the weather bleh. As of now, most people that I'm following I feel are important, so I'll probably edit the OP in regards to reaching out. I really wish some IS employees have twitter, but more so Jun Fukuyama cuz he's an awesome VA! (but he does have his own website).

I know we're going to need as much support as possible since, well, Roy can be a controversial character. I'm debating whether I should get a blog going. Any thoughts?

However, if Roy doesn't get in, I'm not going to be all depressed. I do like the roster overall... so I'm doing this because there's nothing much to lose, right?

It's fine if you don't think a character's returning. However, I will say that Roy's generally liked in Japan (ranked #1 on the official FE6 popularity poll), but does have mixed reactions in the West. It's really subjective in the case of him being special. I think Roy does have some things that are special to him, compared to many lords because 1) Red hair and 2) the SoS is a very unique sword (check the OP for the abilities it has) and I think it's a lot cooler than the Falchion, and on par with Ragnell. And why did Sakurai pick Roy in Melee over other lords? Sakurai has stated that his fire properties made him stood out more and Roy has a certain "youthful charm". So, doesn't that mean he has something special going for him?

Anyway, I don't think it matters that much considering a lot of people genuinely miss Roy, and he does have the potential to get some unique moves. What's so bad about him returning then? Unless you would rather have a totally unique FE newcomer instead, which is understandable. However, if a popular requested character does get in, I don't really have much to complain (and Roy would most likely be de-cloned a little, something like Falco/Ganon if they don't want to put too much effort. An easier character to implant means easier $$$).

Pelleas

Smash Rookie
Hi guys! I'd like to be added to the supporters' list. I don't see why our boy shouldn't be added with dlc: it's an extra character, he can be "declonized" a la falco/Luigi/ganondorf/whoever you want and he has t3h phir3! C'mon guys, he would be a nice dlc addition to the roster! He's our boy!

Quillion

Smash Hero
Guys, Roy's on Twitter: @royforsmash4

So make sure to follow and tweet out #royforsmash4. Title and account name are kinda placeholders since I just quickly put something down. Feel free to suggest names, as I totally cannot think right now tired and under the weather bleh. As of now, most people that I'm following I feel are important, so I'll probably edit the OP in regards to reaching out. I really wish some IS employees have twitter, but more so Jun Fukuyama cuz he's an awesome VA! (but he does have his own website).

I know we're going to need as much support as possible since, well, Roy can be a controversial character. I'm debating whether I should get a blog going. Any thoughts?

However, if Roy doesn't get in, I'm not going to be all depressed. I do like the roster overall... so I'm doing this because there's nothing much to lose, right?

It's fine if you don't think a character's returning. However, I will say that Roy's generally liked in Japan (ranked #1 on the official FE6 popularity poll), but does have mixed reactions in the West. It's really subjective in the case of him being special. I think Roy does have some things that are special to him, compared to many lords because 1) Red hair and 2) the SoS is a very unique sword (check the OP for the abilities it has) and I think it's a lot cooler than the Falchion, and on par with Ragnell. And why did Sakurai pick Roy in Melee over other lords? Sakurai has stated that his fire properties made him stood out more and Roy has a certain "youthful charm". So, doesn't that mean he has something special going for him?

Anyway, I don't think it matters that much considering a lot of people genuinely miss Roy, and he does have the potential to get some unique moves. What's so bad about him returning then? Unless you would rather have a totally unique FE newcomer instead, which is understandable. However, if a popular requested character does get in, I don't really have much to complain (and Roy would most likely be de-cloned a little, something like Falco/Ganon if they don't want to put too much effort. An easier character to implant means easier $$$).
You're right. The Sword of Seals does have a lot of untapped potential in moveset, so decloning is possible.

I'd prefer a totally unique FE character either way, though; :4robinm: was a step in the right direction (plus he doubled as actually being a protagonist instead of a secondary unit).

ItsRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elibe-Guardian
3DS FC
3239-2802-5492
Hey pal...wanna hook me up with the link to that to throw at people that say Roy was only a shameless and worthless advertisement?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Hey pal...wanna hook me up with the link to that to throw at people that say Roy was only a shameless and worthless advertisement?
Right, so there's this you can take a look at. I don't put too much stock into it, though it's still interesting nonetheless.

Advertisement could have some impact, but seeing what has been said about Roy before, I'm really not sure. Either way, Roy has many things going for him so I don't see a huge issue if that were true. Here's something I've said this in the past:
Roy was not added in Melee to solely promote FE6, Sakurai has never mentioned that. Now, I do take the whole "Leif was considered for the FE clone before Roy" thing with a grain of salt, but I'll play. Even if Leif was considered, I do believe he had more merit to his consideration than being the most recent Lord: having significance (being playable in 2 games) and aesthetics (compared to Sigurd and Celice) are among some. But in the end, we still don't have a clear idea as to why Leif was considered, so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion of Leif being the most recent Lord was the reason why. Going with Marth does make sense as he was the most popular request on the pre-Melee polls.

Anyway, it is theorized that when Sakurai was shown Roy, he reconsidered and thought that Roy would be a better choice due to his fire properties standing out. He also predicted that players would fall in love with his "charm", and he ain't wrong about that...

What I'm trying to get at: if a FE Lord other than Roy was initially considered, how was Roy added solely to promote FE6? The deciding factor was Sakurai's personal choice; he thought Roy would be more unique than the other FE candidates at the time (due to Roy's fire abilities, aesthetics, etc), not promotion. I like to think promoting FE6 was an added side bonus; in the end FE6 did get promotion, but it had nothing to do with why Roy was chosen. Roy helped to promote the Fire Emblem series as a whole, alongside with Marth.

I'd also like to add that I think it was Chrono who brought up the sources where FE6's release date was actually delayed (I think the original release date was near Melee's).

Oh, and Sakurai wanted him in Brawl and Roy does have popularity, so he isn't some flavour of the month character.

On the titles subject, Roy is known as the "Young Lion" in the Awakening DLC featuring him. So I guess they'd go with "The Young Lion", if he were to appear.

Just like Seliph is known as the Scion of Light, Leif as the Sage-Lord, Micaiah as the Priestess of Dawn, Eirika and Ephraim are known as the Restoration Queen/King, and so on.
So, his title would be "Young Lion", huh?

Roy: "Wha-what!? I... I'm not in Smash 4!?"

Last edited:

ItsRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elibe-Guardian
3DS FC
3239-2802-5492
Right, so there's this you can take a look at. I don't put too much stock into it, though it's still interesting nonetheless.

Advertisement could have some impact, but seeing what has been said about Roy before, I'm really not sure. Either way, Roy has many things going for him so I don't see a huge issue if that were true. Here's something I've said this in the past:

Oh, and Sakurai wanted him in Brawl and Roy does have popularity, so he isn't some flavour of the month character.

So, his title would be "Young Lion", huh?

Roy: "Wha-what!? I... I'm not in Smash 4!?"

Interesting. Thanks.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Oh, the Roy thread's active again? Nice.
To be honest I don't expect him after Lucina, but I'd be in the boat for DLC support. I fairly liked him in Melee(The only real reason I even bothered to download PM was for Roy too) and I think a fair amount of people would be happy to see him as DLC.
@CrophMaruMariolu2W0vol41PEeeeeek, think you can add me?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
There's a number of fellow Roy supporters that we lost back when Lucina and Robin were confirmed, think we can recruit them back into our army- I mean DLC support group?

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
There's a number of fellow Roy supporters that we lost back when Lucina and Robin were confirmed, think we can recruit them back into our army- I mean DLC support group?
With the power of DLC now being confirmed at this point, it's possible that they might wanna join back-I mean support the cause.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Any ideas for Roy's tagline for a possible splash art like all the other newcomers and Mewtwo? (Currently, Mewtwo's is "Mewtwo is on the way!"...Not really befitting of Mewtwo...) Also, maybe we should have a recruitment theme playing when someone joins the Support thread, like Comrades or even the Meeting Theme Medley...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Any ideas for Roy's tagline for a possible splash art like all the other newcomers and Mewtwo? (Currently, Mewtwo's is "Mewtwo is on the way!"...Not really befitting of Mewtwo...) Also, maybe we should have a recruitment theme playing when someone joins the Support thread, like Comrades or even the Meeting Theme Medley...
"Roy's seals the competition!" or "Roy blazes into the battlefield!" would be great options.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Roy Fires Up!

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
"Roy Heats Things Up!"

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Roy leads the charge!

a little hint, hint to future veteran DLCs that might get mentioned along with him

Edit: also a question I would like to ask the comers and goers of this thread. What would Roy's new idle stance be? would it be like his own in Melee/PM/ or the Mercenary stance from Awakening?

Last edited:

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Roy leads the charge!

a little hint, hint to future veteran DLCs that might get mentioned along with him

Edit: also a question I would like to ask the comers and goers of this thread. What would Roy's new idle stance be? would it be like his own in Melee/PM/ or the Mercenary stance from Awakening?
I'd say just his Melee stance.

DougX

Smash Champion
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
Roy leads the charge!

I think his Melee stance is pretty fine considering it's not exactly the same as Marth's and sort of fits that whole battle-ready rushdown vibe. He would just need a second idling animation.

Also. "Roy's Releasing the PH13R!"

Last edited:

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
I'd say a more fitting splash for Mewtwo could have been "Mewtwo Strikes Back!"

But on the matter of Roy, maybe his' would be "Roy seals the competition!"

"Roy's seals the competition!" or "Roy blazes into the battlefield!" would be great options.
Huh, great minds think alike.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Last edited:

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Hey, what if his new Down B randomized his stats?
Is that supposed to be a reference to how the RNG can make Roy good or bad on FE6? If so, I laughed.

If you're serious... I don't think that helps in a game with actual balance.

DougX

Smash Champion
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
I'm bored so here's some ideas I had for Roy:

Second Idling Animation (Since pretty much everyone has one from Brawl onward) - Roy twirls his sword and briefly sheaths it behind him, then unsheathes the sword after a brief moment and resumes back into his normal stance. Similar to his standing pose as a Great Lord/Master Lord.
Jab - Now a three hit combo with more utility. Roy does two horizontal slashes and then a stab forward. Has good speed and range, and moderate power. Last hit is similar to F-tilt in animation. Deals more damage and has a little more knockback if hit near the hilt.
F-tilt - Similar to Project M, Roy does a long stab forward that can be angled. Based on his classic attack animation.
U-tilt - I think they could do it like Project M, where it's like Marth's but starts from behind instead? Or just leave it as it is.
His Aerials - All of them have more overall utility.
  • Up Aerial - New! Stab upward similar to Link's maybe?
  • Neutral Aerial - Slightly faster and with a bit more range. PH1R3 effects.
  • Forward Aerial - Is about the same, but with more utility.
  • Down Aerial - Can spike much easier thanks to a better placed sweetspot for it. Has PH1R3 effect.
  • Back Aerial - New! Roy turns around and does a stab outward with his sword. Good speed and knockback. Changes Roy's direction.
Smash Attacks - Have a bit more utility when not hit with the sweetspots.
  • Up Smash - Hits can link together much easier compared to Melee. Also has PH1R3 Effects.
  • Down Smash - New! Roy raises his sword and plunges it into the ground, creating a small burst of fire. Sort of like a tiny version of Ike's Eruption, except keeping the red fire effects like Brawl.
  • Forward Smash - Has a tweaked animation in my mind where Roy does the slash down while holding the sword with both of his hands, but is overall the same. Sourspot is slightly stronger.
Flare Blade - Roy's signature attack. Is about the same as in Melee (Including animation since Marth doesn't use it for Shield Breaker anymore), except a bit tougher throughout and having more profound PH1R3 effects.
Blazer - I like this move so it stays. Is about the same, but with a bit more knockback near the end and a new spiraling animation! c:

And that's all I have really for now. Lemmie know what you think of some of my ideas. I don't have ideas for everything now, but I was trying to think of ways to differentiate him from Marth while taking some notes from other characters and how his attack animations look as well as just some overall improvements... And some irresistible ideas from Project M.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I'm bored so here's some ideas I had for Roy:

Second Idling Animation (Since pretty much everyone has one from Brawl onward) - Roy twirls his sword and briefly sheaths it behind him, then unsheathes the sword after a brief moment and resumes back into his normal stance. Similar to his standing pose as a Great Lord/Master Lord.
Jab - Now a three hit combo with more utility. Roy does two horizontal slashes and then a stab forward. Has good speed and range, and moderate power. Last hit is similar to F-tilt in animation. Deals more damage and has a little more knockback if hit near the hilt.
F-tilt - Similar to Project M, Roy does a long stab forward that can be angled. Based on his classic attack animation.
U-tilt - I think they could do it like Project M, where it's like Marth's but starts from behind instead? Or just leave it as it is.
His Aerials - All of them have more overall utility.
  • Up Aerial - New! Stab upward similar to Link's maybe?
  • Neutral Aerial - Slightly faster and with a bit more range. PH1R3 effects.
  • Forward Aerial - Is about the same, but with more utility.
  • Down Aerial - Can spike much easier thanks to a better placed sweetspot for it. Has PH1R3 effect.
  • Back Aerial - New! Roy turns around and does a stab outward with his sword. Good speed and knockback. Changes Roy's direction.
Smash Attacks - Have a bit more utility when not hit with the sweetspots.
  • Up Smash - Hits can link together much easier compared to Melee. Also has PH1R3 Effects.
  • Down Smash - New! Roy raises his sword and plunges it into the ground, creating a small burst of fire. Sort of like a tiny version of Ike's Eruption, except keeping the red fire effects like Brawl.
  • Forward Smash - Has a tweaked animation in my mind where Roy does the slash down while holding the sword with both of his hands, but is overall the same. Sourspot is slightly stronger.
Flare Blade - Roy's signature attack. Is about the same as in Melee (Including animation since Marth doesn't use it for Shield Breaker anymore), except a bit tougher throughout and having more profound PH1R3 effects.
Blazer - I like this move so it stays. Is about the same, but with a bit more knockback near the end and a new spiraling animation! c:

And that's all I have really for now. Lemmie know what you think of some of my ideas. I don't have ideas for everything now, but I was trying to think of ways to differentiate him from Marth while taking some notes from other characters and how his attack animations look as well as just some overall improvements... And some irresistible ideas from Project M.

Sounds well and good my friend of friends~

But one thing I need to know is taunts and victory poses

DougX

Smash Champion
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
Sounds well and good my friend of friends~

But one thing I need to know is taunts and victory poses
I have no idea. :D

He could keep the classic Melee taunt for sure and he does already have a set of victory poses from Melee, just they could improve the animations for all of these. His other two taunts from Project M are good and related to him in a way, but I dunno if they would use anything like those.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom