• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Koopa Prince: Bowser Jr - Come introduce yourself!

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
All this arguing about the Koopalings makes me think we need a poll.

"Yes Koopalings"
or
"GTFO Koopalings"

Personally, I like the idea, but it really takes away from my boy Bowser Jr... I'm torn.

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice
I think that the Koopalings shouldn't be an alt for Junior. He is the true son of Bowser, the Koopalings are adopted, as confirmed by miyamoto. And I still think that Junior's gonna have some thing with his paint brush, be it an attack or final smash. I love the mech way more than the paint brush, but to honor the chaarcter's first appearance I think the paint brush has to make a small appearance.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I think that the Koopalings shouldn't be an alt for Junior. He is the true son of Bowser, the Koopalings are adopted, as confirmed by miyamoto. And I still think that Junior's gonna have some thing with his paint brush, be it an attack or final smash. I love the mech way more than the paint brush, but to honor the chaarcter's first appearance I think the paint brush has to make a small appearance.
I believe that paintbrush is an up tilt and the Koopalings can easily swap in their wands for that attack.

Exactly. They do not use it to fight, they ride a giant one as a means of transportation for all of them. Also, they never use individual Cars. All of them bunched in a giant Clown Car shining a light at you doesn't cut it. Even if valid(which it isn't) this one instance is nothing to the 99% occurrence of them being ground-based fighters.

There is no instance where any of these Koopalings fight you individually with their own Clown Car. Hence, having them as an alt is, to put it nicely, not kosher.
This is not that first time Smash strays from canon. (also, kosher? wha?)
I don't see how Koopaling alts are a bad thing. Like I've said before it doesn't take the spotlight away from Bowser Jr as he is the default character in the Clown Car it simply gives people more options. I don't want to be forced to play as different colours of Bowser Jr when there could have easily been a Wendy alt.

Bowser Jr's thing is now his mechas, that's what it's been for quite a few games now. He's the perfect character to ride a vehicle and they made the right decision on that part.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I don't believe in retcons. The koopalings are Bowser's children.

Also, **** midiclorians, while we're at it.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
This is not that first time Smash strays from canon. (also, kosher? wha?)
I don't see how Koopaling alts are a bad thing. Like I've said before it doesn't take the spotlight away from Bowser Jr as he is the default character in the Clown Car it simply gives people more options. I don't want to be forced to play as different colours of Bowser Jr when there could have easily been a Wendy alt.

Bowser Jr's thing is now his mechas, that's what it's been for quite a few games now. He's the perfect character to ride a vehicle and they made the right decision on that part.
You're right, Smash strays from canon. "Pic of the day. Mewtwo is an alternate palette for Lucario!! Well it isn't an aura Pokemon...nor does it punch or kick...but this is Smash! I hope you enjoy having more options by having your favorite Genetic Pokemon as an alternate costume for Lucario!!"

"Smash strays from canon, so therefore we can forget canon whenever desired." Sorry, no. Canon matters....Wait, what am I saying?! You're right again!..

I don't want to be forced to play as different colors of Donkey Kong when there could have easily been a Chunky/Funky alt.
I don't want to be forced to play as different colors of Fox when there easily could have been a Wolf alt.
I don't want to be forced to play as different colors of Marth when there easily could have been a Chrom alt.
I don't want to be forced to play as a Daisy alt when there easily could have been a differently-colored palette.
I don't want to be forced to play as Koopaling alts when there easily could have been differently-colored palettes.

That statement is self-defeating, hope you get the point.

Even Sakurai knows that having alternates of totally different characters on a character takes away from said character. I wish I had the link but I'm too lazy to find it(someone wanna help me?). Come to think of it, maybe that part of the leak is wrong as it does contradict older Sakurai statements....Anyway, putting Junior in a mech isn't "wrong" per se , but it is definitely not making Bowser Junior playable in the sense that everyone else is. You can't run around with him. You can't punch/smack/claw someone in the face with him. You can't grab anyone with him. His machine does it, you are quite literally playing his machine while he "watches"... It really is that simple. It misses, entirely, the one thing I love about Smash, controlling my favorite Nintendo characters at the "human" level. It's like playing as Captain Falcon whos in his car all the time. It works "canonically" but isn't the best option. It's just a huge injustice.

Also, you say it's his "thing" to use mechs now...I thought Smash strays from canon?

BTW: kosher

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I honestly think that the whole Junior Clown Car thing is a super cool idea, and I also think that it actually represents the current Bowser Jr. much more than him mechless. Let's take a look at the latest 4 major boss fights he's had in the Mario series: (SPOILERS obviously)

Did you notice something? All of the fights involve Bowser Jr. attacking from his Clown Car. THIS IS HIS PREFERRED METHOD OF BATTLE. I think his Smash iteration is a perfect showcase of how the Koopa Prince would choose to fight: using his tricks and mechs instead of focusing on brute force like his dad. In my opinion, this makes him a much more interesting and fun character.

As for the Koopalings as alts, I'm for that too. Having slightly different colorations of Bowser Jr. isn't nearly as cool as having the whole Koopa squadron at one's disposal, especially Ludwig and his perfect hair. It doesn't detract from the fact that Bowser Jr. is the main playable character, with his moveset mainly being designed around him, it's just an added bonus for those of us who like the Koopalings. The character on the select screen is still Bowser Jr. because he's the main focus, and I'm fine with that.

Luminario

Smash Lord
You're right, Smash strays from canon. "Pic of the day. Mewtwo is an alternate palette for Lucario!! Well it isn't an aura Pokemon...nor does it punch or kick...but this is Smash! I hope you enjoy having more options by having your favorite Genetic Pokemon as an alternate costume for Lucario!!"

"Smash strays from canon, so therefore we can forget canon whenever desired." Sorry, no. Canon matters....Wait, what am I saying?! You're right again!..

I don't want to be forced to play as different colors of Donkey Kong when there could have easily been a Chunky/Funky alt.
I don't want to be forced to play as different colors of Fox when there easily could have been a Wolf alt.
I don't want to be forced to play as different colors of Marth when there easily could have been a Chrom alt.
I don't want to be forced to play as a Daisy alt when there easily could have been a differently-colored palette.
I don't want to be forced to play as Koopaling alts when there easily could have been differently-colored palettes.

That statement is self-defeating, hope you get the point.

Even Sakurai knows that having alternates of totally different characters on a character takes away from said character. I wish I had the link but I'm too lazy to find it(someone wanna help me?). Come to think of it, maybe that part of the leak is wrong as it does contradict older Sakurai statements....Anyway, putting Junior in a mech isn't "wrong" per se , but it is definitely not making Bowser Junior playable in the sense that everyone else is. You can't run around with him. You can't punch/smack/claw someone in the face with him. You can't grab anyone with him. His machine does it, you are quite literally playing his machine while he "watches"... It really is that simple. It misses, entirely, the one thing I love about Smash, controlling my favorite Nintendo characters at the "human" level. It's like playing as Captain Falcon whos in his car all the time. It works "canonically" but isn't the best option. It's just a huge injustice.

Also, you say it's his "thing" to use mechs now...I thought Smash strays from canon?

BTW: kosher
Okay okay you have good points. Roll back the attitude. Bowser Jr was the best fit for a character in a vehicle and I'm sorry you can't technically play as him (besides his up tilt and up B and maybe a few more unknown moves) but many people enjoy this idea along with the Koopaling alts possibility. Also with the Koopaling alts people are also more likely to embrace Bowser Jr since they might not like him but like Wendy or Ludwig or any of the others and since as you very well pointed out that you're not technically playing as Bowser Jr the Koopalings can be switched in with relative ease (They're almost like Pikachu's hats to be honest). You can't please everyone and I'm pretty sure Sakurai knows this best but at least Jr looks to be a very unique fighter if that's any consolation.

I said Smash strays from canon, not runs from it with its hands over its ear going "LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU"

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I think his clown car is a fantastic addition to Smash. :awesome: The paint brush could have been great in its own way; however, that would not only potentially tailor him towards a less unique "swordplay" style of fighting, but also - as stated above - misrepresent how he typically fights in his games. I think he looks excellent and I'm really keen to see him in Smash with some more clarity. :)

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Even Sakurai knows that having alternates of totally different characters on a character takes away from said character. I wish I had the link but I'm too lazy to find it(someone wanna help me?). Come to think of it, maybe that part of the leak is wrong as it does contradict older Sakurai statements....
Sakurai has never stated his stance on alternate costumes.
You're thinking of what the Project M Backroom has said about their philosophy on alts.
A lot of people get those mixed up, weirdly. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Dude... if you guys don't like the Koopaling alts, don't use them. It should be simple as that. The fact is, Bowser Jr. is the newcomer, and the Koopalings are just alts. They're there as a bonus for people who like them, not a slap in the face for those who don't. It's not something to take super personally. I understand being frustrated over the Clown Car (because let's be honest, it IS the focus of the gameplay), but still... someone needs a prescription for chill pills.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Dude... if you guys don't like the Koopaling alts, don't use them. It should be simple as that. The fact is, Bowser Jr. is the newcomer, and the Koopalings are just alts. They're there as a bonus for people who like them, not a slap in the face for those who don't. It's not something to take super personally. I understand being frustrated over the Clown Car (because let's be honest, it IS the focus of the gameplay), but still... someone needs a prescription for chill pills.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

No, he shouldn't. Dr. Mario with FLUDD would have been so stupid. He needs Mario's old down B and for that reason he can't be an alt.
That's the worst argument I ever heard. It's definitely the reason he's playable though.

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Soooo, anyway, can we talk moveset? Because I'm hyped to play as him. I remember there being the Cannonball (neutral or side special?), and the launch for up special. Did anyone catch any of his other specials?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
No, he shouldn't. Dr. Mario with FLUDD would have been so stupid. He needs Mario's old down B and for that reason he can't be an alt.
Saying Doc can't use FLUDD is a ******** argument too. Smash isn't 100% canon. It's just a costume; not full on playable doc; it doesn't have to be 100% good and proper. To be honest I'd rather not have Doc again; Ice Climbers and Mewtwo need to be first. Although if they are playable and Doc is too that's fine.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Soooo, anyway, can we talk moveset? Because I'm hyped to play as him. I remember there being the Cannonball (neutral or side special?), and the launch for up special. Did anyone catch any of his other specials?
I'm completely guessing this but here goes.
B - Cannonball
Down B - Mechakoopa
Up B - EJECTOR SEAT!
Up tilt - Paintbrush uppercut (hopefully a wand uppercut as well)
Jab - Boxing glove punch
Some tongue move. Down tilt?
Nair- Spinny attack?
I'll edit this when I've found the video on tumblr.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
B - Cannonball
Down B - Mechakoopa
Up B - EJECTOR SEAT!
Jab - Boxing glove punch
Nair- Spinny attack?
I'll admit, I need to watch it again. I never saw the Mechakoopa everyone's talking about.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I'll admit, I need to watch it again. I never saw the Mechakoopa everyone's talking about.
It's at the last part of the same section where you see him use his Nair. It's only there for a split second though.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Okay theres a different attack just after Bowser uses his fire breath and Jr jumps. Looks like he drops a cannon ball off the front of the Clown Car.
The mechakoopa is just after Jr keeps trying the boxing glove jab right at the end of the video but he gets hit out of it pretty quickly.
What really annoys me is that the ****ing leaker leaks a character and doesn't even bother to play as them. WE NEED INFO. the CPU just doesn't show enough.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Okay theres a different attack just after Bowser uses his fire breath and Jr jumps. Looks like he drops a cannon ball off the front of the Clown Car.
The mechakoopa is just after Jr keeps trying the boxing glove jab right at the end of the video but he gets hit out of it pretty quickly.
What really annoys me is that the ****ing leaker leaks a character and doesn't even bother to play as them. WE NEED INFO. the CPU just doesn't show enough.
These were just the videos that were supposed to go to ESRB I believe. You can tell by the way the game is being displayed. He's not actually playing the game right now, just watching replays basically.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
B - Cannonball
Down B - Mechakoopa
Up B - EJECTOR SEAT!
Jab - Boxing glove punch
Nair- Spinny attack?
The tongue move looks like a jab imo, the boxing glove punching is probably his f-tilt.

EDIT: Nah, actually, it's probably reverse, the tongue is probably his f-tilt. He also drops a cannonball in the air at some point, it falls straight down like Villager's bowling ball, I think it's his f-air perhaps?

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
The tongue move looks like a jab imo, the boxing glove punching is probably his f-tilt.

EDIT: Nah, actually, it's probably reverse, the tongue is probably his f-tilt. He also drops a cannonball in the air at some point, it falls straight down like Villager's bowling ball, I think it's his f-air perhaps?
I would say either Dair or Fair. His nair is spinning around with the gloves extended.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I would say either Dair or Fair. His nair is spinning around with the gloves extended.
It comes out from in front of him (he picks it up from the clown's mouth, I can't get over how creative this character is!), so it's probably his f-air. I imagine his d-air will have to do with the propeller.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
It comes out from in front of him (he picks it up from the clown's mouth, I can't get over how creative this character is!), so it's probably his f-air. I imagine his d-air will have to do with the propeller.
I thought the same thing, I just didn't want to rule it out of the range of possibilities since he does drop it straight down.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I had some problems and I had to wait for it to solve to post there.

The day before the videos were published, I was quoting bluepikmin saying that you got the milestone of 100 supporters. To happen the day before [almost confirmed] is a proof of support. Congrats, I always said he would be worthy and he actually is!

However, I have to to tell something:

It will never stop my support and hopes for Paper Mario!

Expectations doesn't matters, what matters is there's people supporting both. Here the day just before and today, it will go back up again because I got my full hype back!

So, here's an advice:

"Never let expectations take over in support."

Aldelaro5 - congrats again, but it's not the end for me as it is almost for you.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
I think his clown car is a fantastic addition to Smash. :awesome: The paint brush could have been great in its own way; however, that would not only potentially tailor him towards a less unique "swordplay" style of fighting, but also - as stated above - misrepresent how he typically fights in his games. I think he looks excellent and I'm really keen to see him in Smash with some more clarity. :)
Please don't tempt me. I'm willing to bet that I can make a moveset more unique with his paintbrush than the Clown Car.

I'm aware of all that, it's just having different characters as alts really does seem to take the focus away from it just being that one character. To put it into perspective, having Junior playable in this way is just as bad as Sakurai stating he will never be playable.

Okay okay you have good points. Roll back the attitude. Bowser Jr was the best fit for a character in a vehicle and I'm sorry you can't technically play as him (besides his up tilt and up B and maybe a few more unknown moves) but many people enjoy this idea along with the Koopaling alts possibility. Also with the Koopaling alts people are also more likely to embrace Bowser Jr since they might not like him but like Wendy or Ludwig or any of the others and since as you very well pointed out that you're not technically playing as Bowser Jr the Koopalings can be switched in with relative ease (They're almost like Pikachu's hats to be honest). You can't please everyone and I'm pretty sure Sakurai knows this best but at least Jr looks to be a very unique fighter if that's any consolation.

I said Smash strays from canon, not runs from it with its hands over its ear going "LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU"

Well I apologize for coming off in that way. It's pretty much impossible for me to talk about Smash 4 Junior and not get really mad just thinking about it. Yeah all that aside, he does look to be unique so at least there's that...More reason for me to main Bowser again I guess.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
First off, I'd just like to say that Bowser Jr. was always a big request of mine, so I'm very happy that he got in :p. This was quite unexpected though, like some of those other leaked characters :awesome:, mainly because of Rosalina's reveal back in December. I'm pretty sure that almost everyone disregarded the possibility of a second Mario newcomer at that time, but now Sakurai has surprised me yet again.

I'm very glad that he was given a tool as unique as the Clown Car. It's not like he couldn't have been unique with just the paintbrush, but I feel he would've inevitably feel short by inheriting some moves from his father or some sword animations from the Smash Swordsmen. The Clown Car also represents his personality very well by being equipped with all of these crazy gadgets......one could even say it's to give him an "unfair advantage" :grin: (he does need to be stronger to face that Mario again :awesome:).

Can't wait to play this character!

Rayze

Smash Rookie
NNID
Volade
3DS FC
5284-1406-7905
I'm really excited to know Bowser Jr. will be appearing in Sm4sh, too. I will most likely main him, depending on how he plays.

As for his moveset, I believe it's the following:
- FSmash: Charging and shooting a cannon ball.
- DSmash: Spinning the Clown Car around while lifting itself with hands.
- Dtilt: Releasing a Mecha-Koopa.
- Jab: Punching continuously.
- Nair: Spinning around while punching.
- Fair: Dropping a cannon ball.
- Utilt: Waving the paintbrush upwards.
- Ftilt: Licking (I recall this move in the leak, but I can't find it anymore).
- Up Special: Exploding the Clown Car, resulting in ejecting Bowser Jr. upwards.

He might have similar properties as Diddy Kong I guess, such as fall speed and jump altitude. His weight seems higher, though, as far as I can judge. Not that I actually understand why JWittz called him a clone of Diddy; that seemed fairly far-fetched.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I actually like the Clown Car more than his paintbrush. Bowser Jr. is my favorite among the Koopalings, but personally I feel that the other 7 koopalings as alt costumes is a good idea.

Top Bottom