• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Koopa Prince: Bowser Jr - Come introduce yourself!

Ryan.

Smash Lord
No, see, that's the funny thing. I kinda am and kinda not.
Bowser Jr. was one of my most wanted a while ago (like, 2012-ish), but I eventually drifted out of it.
Preferably, I wanted both him and Toad. But I kinda moved on from Junior and just focused on Toad... who proceeded to crash and burn fairly early... and then Rosalina.
So it's more like I'm getting back on the bandwagon after getting off a long time ago. :p
It does feel good to think he'll be a reality in the end. I've remembered why I loved the little guy.
Understandable. I lost hope after Rosalina as well but regained it as time went on and he hasn't shown up as an AT or anything. Then the leak came, and I disregarded it until the videos. Wow.

I wasn't calling you a bandwagoner though, just saying they are welcome anyway haha.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
So apparently nobody is mad that Bowser Jr is just a skin. Hmph.
No. I don't like the idea of Koopalings alts. Bowser Jr. should be the only Koopa Car pilot in the game imo.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
So who wanted to be added?

1. Mario_and_Sonic_Guy
2. BluePikmin11
3. Brawler610
4. Mr. KoopaTurtle
5. Arcadenik
6. smashkirby
7. Ryan.
8. Seltraeh22
9. Cheezey Bites
10. Toxicroaker
11. Thereallucario
12. Prince17
13. egaddmario
14. dimensionsword64
15. BKupa666
16. Hyper_Ridley
17. AIM0001
18. R.O.B.
19. Venus of the Desert Bloom
20. bombers14
21. @HBC | J
22. Frostwraith
23. ItsSilverLPs
24. Jhonnykiller45
25. D-didara
26. jigglover
27. Rockaphin
28. Keybladeguy
29. VictoryIsMudkips
30. BirthNote
31. Yoshi
32. SmashShadow
33. Ember Reaper
34. Giant Breadbug
35. MagnesD3
36. Swampasaur
37. Cool Daddy Booty Funk
38. 3Bismyname
39. goldglover5
40. bananija
41. FalKoopa
42. N3ON
43. Vintage Creep
44. Komenja
45. Banjodorf
46. TumblrFamous
47. Michael Blaine
48. SpaceJell0
49. thethirdkoopa
50. aldelero5
51. APC99
52. SuperBrawler
53. Welshy91
54. Guybrush20X6
55. Alban712
56. grizby2
57. EddyBearr
58. No Control
59. Shorts
60. Xcsmmc
61. OctiVick
62. andimidna
63. Cpt.
64. harpuia190
65. RyanR
66. Thekewlusername
67. Lazurwolf
68. domriver
69. The smash nerd
70. Daviddreamcatcha
71. The Drilling Juggernaut
72. mini pancakes
73. GunGunw
74. PlasmaPuffball
75. xLemmy_Koopax
76. Saltwater Gem
77. Lucimar
78. Dragoncharystary
79. Sebz
80. jacobjeb
81. Arthreeteseven
82. WeirdChillFever
83. TORNADO BUS DRIVER
84. SS-Bros. 14
85. Reila
86. tacofaaf
87. Hmmmm
88. Dre.
89. RaccoonBL
90. AnoA
91. PiChuChu
92. Gooper Blooper
93. johno1995
94. Pikablu Pikachu
95. Zhu Qiuo
96. smashingDoug
97. SmilingMad
98. tomvoxx
99. Elite Gaymer
100. The Flying Brick
101. 08skidoosh80
102. Afrodude
103. MooseSmuggler
104. Ryugi
105. LunarDistortion
106. Jave
107. Bradley Wartooth
108. johno1995
109. splat
110. Lizardon
111. KankerSore
112. Fire Tactician
113. Kokopops
114. BanjoK&Mariobros
115. Spinosaurus
116. Zzuxon
117. T-Hell
118. Dragoncharystary
119. shrooby
Count me in. I like Bowser Jr., after warming up to his inclusion and what not, I'm really interested in seeing how he'll play.

Hope he'll get an alt/taunt that let's you put his mask on!

Last edited:

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Come again?

"The Koopa Clown Car joins the battle! Oh, and there is also a seat inside for any koopling!"

Bowser Jr. is not a playable character in this game, but he's on the playable roster. As a Jr supporter since day one, I'm not even a little happy he's in this game in his current form. Why? It's a playable Clown Car under the guise of "Bowser Jr." There is absolutely nothing about him sitting inside a damn machine that is exciting to me. Sakurai adds insult to injury by not only making him bound to a seat, but making him a proxy for every koopaling. Bowser Jr is not one of those (insert insult here) koopalings and the fact that Jr can be switched out for a koopaling by a palette swap shows his moveset is nothing that is actually specific to him. It makes it seem as though he is just "another little koopa-thing" and no different, and that is insulting to the creators + fans of the character.

As an example: Imagine Captain Falcon being in his car as a playable character with alts for Black Shadow + Goroh. It's an insult.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
"The Koopa Clown Car joins the battle! Oh, and there is also a seat inside for any koopling!"

Bowser Jr. is not a playable character in this game, but he's on the playable roster. As a Jr supporter since day one, I'm not even a little happy he's in this game in his current form. Why? It's a playable Clown Car under the guise of "Bowser Jr." There is absolutely nothing about him sitting inside a damn machine that is exciting to me. Sakurai adds insult to injury by not only making him bound to a seat, but making him a proxy for every koopaling. Bowser Jr is not one of those (insert insult here) koopalings and the fact that Jr can be switched out for a koopaling by a palette swap shows his moveset is nothing that is actually specific to him. It makes it seem as though he is just "another little koopa-thing" and no different, and that is insulting to the creators + fans of the character.

As an example: Imagine Captain Falcon being in his car as a playable character with alts for Black Shadow + Goroh. It's an insult.
Ahh okay I see what you mean. I do have to agree on some things you said. I'd rather there wasn't Koopalings myself to drag the attention away from Bowser Jr., however many people seem to be thrilled about it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You must hate him when he appears in his own games then. He appears in his Clown Car far more often than not in Mario games. If he isn't in that, he is in another huge mech or a clown car knock off like in the Galaxy games. I fail to see how this is insulting the character, when it is exactly how the said character is portrayed in a non spinoff title. He uses it in New Super Mario Bros Wii/2/U, Sticker Star, Mario and Luigi Dream Team, and Mario Party 9 (thats a spin off, but you get the point.) In the Galaxy games, he is almost always in a mech of some sort that is piloted by his Robot Cockpit, which is basically his Clown Car, but less colorful.

Edit: As for the Koopalings, they're just alternates. Thats it. Just for fans of the characters. There is a reason why Bowser Jr. is the main character featured on the CSS.

Last edited by a moderator:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Congratulations to myself and all Jr. supporters!!!!!!! Bowser Jr. is playable in SSB4! Say, do you all think we should add him Ganondorf, and Shulk to the confirmed characters' sub-pages at the top of the page? Also, Koopalings FTW!!! I so want to play as Jr. and Larry! Heck, I want to play as ALL of the Koopalings! I just hope our leaker still can show us Jr.'s alts. and see if that rumor is true! (Along with some Duck Hunt gameplay as well...:smirk:)

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Congratulations to myself and all Jr. supporters!!!!!!! Bowser Jr. is playable in SSB4! Say, do you all think we should add him Ganondorf, and Shulk to the confirmed characters' sub-pages at the top of the page? Also, Koopalings FTW!!! I so want to play as Jr. and Larry! Heck, I want to play as ALL of the Koopalings! I just hope our leaker still can show us Jr.'s alts. and see if that rumor is true! (Along with some Duck Hunt gameplay as well...:smirk:)
They won't have sub-forums until officially confirmed by Sakurai. I think a few mods have said that. Some people don't want the spoilers. At least we still have this thread though!

harpuia190

Smash Ace

Yea h I have thought about that, but in all honesty, just the fact that he is in and is the defacto face for the moveset is enough for me. Bowser Jr. how now cemented himself as part of the smash roster and my hope is that he will continue to get important roles in mario games which will give room for further expansion of his character. Hopefully he can now be associated as the mechanical face for the mario universe and they can take it further. I cant wait to see the next mario rpg and how bowser jr fits in it.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Out of the leak if it is true, which it probably is bowser jr is the only one I'm really looking forward too

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
So apparently nobody is mad that Bowser Jr is just a skin. Hmph.
I'm really happy that I can play as the Koopalings but not happy that this will take away the attention from Jr.

Though the good outweigh the bad. ROY IS MY BOY

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I've calmed down a bit since yesterday.

I really am ecstatic to see the Koopa Prince in Smash. My connection and fondness for this character is personal, so it's amazing that he's joining the family. I actually cried a few tears of joy.

I HATE Koopalings being alts. This takes away the chance to shine for Bowser Jr. I hope that part is fake.

Lastly, I've been pessimistic regarding the competitve viability of Smash 4 lately, and I'm honestly questioning my purchase. I'm just not sure if I'll be satisfied with the gameplay of Smash 4. I LOVE Bowser Jr. to death, but is it worth it for a boring gameplay experience?

Extremely conflicted right now.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I wish Jr. had a set of color swaps, and then one could unlock the Koopaling skins or something.

I've calmed down a bit since yesterday.

I really am ecstatic to see the Koopa Prince in Smash. My connection and fondness for this character is personal, so it's amazing that he's joining the family. I actually cried a few tears of joy.

I HATE Koopalings being alts. This takes away the chance to shine for Bowser Jr. I hope that part is fake.

Lastly, I've been pessimistic regarding the competitve viability of Smash 4 lately, and I'm honestly questioning my purchase. I'm just not sure if I'll be satisfied with the gameplay of Smash 4. I LOVE Bowser Jr. to death, but is it worth it for a boring gameplay experience?

Extremely conflicted right now.
Even if it isn't a good competitive game, you can still enjoy it as a game.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I wish Jr. had a set of color swaps, and then one could unlock the Koopaling skins or something.

Even if it isn't a good competitive game, you can still enjoy it as a game.
Fair point.
Eh, whatever. I enjoyed Brawl competitively to an extent, I guess I'll do the same for Smash 4.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
You must hate him when he appears in his own games then. He appears in his Clown Car far more often than not in Mario games. If he isn't in that, he is in another huge mech or a clown car knock off like in the Galaxy games. I fail to see how this is insulting the character, when it is exactly how the said character is portrayed in a non spinoff title. He uses it in New Super Mario Bros Wii/2/U, Sticker Star, Mario and Luigi Dream Team, and Mario Party 9 (thats a spin off, but you get the point.) In the Galaxy games, he is almost always in a mech of some sort that is piloted by his Robot Cockpit, which is basically his Clown Car, but less colorful.

Edit: As for the Koopalings, they're just alternates. Thats it. Just for fans of the characters. There is a reason why Bowser Jr. is the main character featured on the CSS.

My main issue is although him being in a Clown Car is not misrepresentation(as you pointed out), it's not playing Bowser Jr. It's playing a machine. If he was ONLY represented as the "mech kid of Bowser" then I would agree. The problem is, is that he's not. He was first represented without relying on mechs. I compare your illustration of him to Dr. Eggman. If Dr. Eggman was in Smash, I would see zero issue of him being in a robot mech like a Clown Car. Eggman is literally all about mechs, so it is fitting to have him in one.

Bowser Jr is not quite an Eggman. The Clown Car of course represents an often-used method by him, but that's not him. Tell me this, can his dad not use his entire moveset? His dad has also appeared in mechs plenty of times as well. After all, he is the founder of the Clown Car. Why is Bowser actually fighting? The fact that he can transform into a Koopaling with zero issues is why it is insulting. He is just a figure to be replaced with whatever koopa you like.

Go through the entire Smash 4 cast. You can't swap another character into another character's moveset. Not even Mario, the most basic character, can be substituted by any other. His moveset is unique to who Mario is. With Jr you can, because he doesn't do much except sit down. The insulting part is equating him to a koopaling who might I add NEVER USE CLOWN CARS. Not to mention, Jr has his own specific Clown Car named "Junior Clown Car." Guess the Koopalings can just hop right in Bowser Junior's unique car too; screw canon right?

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, I really hate the idea of Koopalings as alternates, but not because I don't like them. I'd much prefer if they were a part of Junior's Final Smash. That way, Junior is still the main guy you play as and maintains his spotlight in the roster, and Koopaling fans still get to see them in Smash in action. Kinda like they did for Chrom. It just bothers me as a Junior fan to see him be replaced by any of the 7 Koopalings in Smash. I really hope that the whole Koopaling alternate thing isn't true.

tacofaaf

Smash Rookie
To be honest, I really hate the idea of Koopalings as alternates, but not because I don't like them. I'd much prefer if they were a part of Junior's Final Smash. That way, Junior is still the main guy you play as and maintains his spotlight in the roster, and Koopaling fans still get to see them in Smash in action. Kinda like they did for Chrom. It just bothers me as a Junior fan to see him be replaced by any of the 7 Koopalings in Smash. I really hope that the whole Koopaling alternate thing isn't true.
The Koopaling alternate thing is fake.

Last edited:

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
Another thing I find odd is if they do the whole Koopalings skin swap thing, how would that be implemented? Iggy is like twice the height of Jr., so that would change his whole hurtbox. Morton and Roy are obviously much heavier than Jr. as well, so that would change his weight and height. Lemmy is much lighter than the others and smaller, so that would also change hurtbox and weight. Seems like such an odd thing to do and would change the character significantly. I know Miis do this kinda thing, but Miis are Miis. Bowser Jr. isn't the same thing. I dunno, the more I think about it, the more illogical it is to make the Koopalings palette swaps. Sakurai even mentioned in his interview about Robin and Lucina that if characters are different enough in attributes, like speed, height, weight, and power, they get their own character slot, hence why Lucina is no longer an alt for Marth.

Last edited:

Killimano23

Smash Cadet
But like PlasmaPuffball said, their sizes and weights are so different that the whole thing seems too good to be true.
True but I could see him keeping all the weights the same and the sizes wouldn't be much of an issue since the majority of the model is the clown car

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Another thing I find odd is if they do the whole Koopalings skin swap thing, how would that be implemented? Iggy is like twice the height of Jr., so that would change his whole hurtbox. Morton and Roy are obviously much heavier than Jr. as well, so that would change his weight and height. Lemmy is much lighter than the others and smaller, so that would also change hurtbox and weight. Seems like such an odd thing to do and would change the character significantly. I know Miis do this kinda thing, but Miis are Miis. Bowser Jr. isn't the same thing. I dunno, the more I think about it, but more illogical it is to make the Koopalings palette swaps. Sakurai even mentioned in his interview about Robin and Lucina that if characters are different enough in attributes, like speed, height, weight, and power, they get their own character slot.
True. I don't know how it would work, either.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
An actual reveal would have been more hype, but this is still great for me nonetheless.

tacofaaf

Smash Rookie
True but I could see him keeping all the weights the same and the sizes wouldn't be much of an issue since the majority of the model is the clown car
The clown car is the model but you can't just make all the characters the same height and weight without it looking weird . If you have already seen the leak with Jr in the clown car, it would be weird seing, say Roy in it the same size. Not saying it's impossible though.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Saw that, doesn't count. They don't use it in-game.
Yes, they do.
The entire gimmick of the last level is them riding it in the background and flashing a light to turn you to stone.

tacofaaf

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
This is the only leaked character I regret not seeing in an actual reveal.
SAME HERE, just happy he's in.

Just glad he's in, i'm getting 3DS version anyone else?

I see what you mean, but even still, it would just be too awkward. You would have to change the dimensions of the person or even the clown car, to make it not look weird. I'm not sure what Sakurai has in store, because he can pull stuff like that off, but I just can't really see it happening. I hope they do have the Koopalings alternate though, because I like to change it up. I think he would only add the alts for the fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Yes, they do.
The entire gimmick of the last level is them riding it in the background and flashing a light to turn you to stone.

Exactly. They do not use it to fight, they ride a giant one as a means of transportation for all of them. Also, they never use individual Cars. All of them bunched in a giant Clown Car shining a light at you doesn't cut it. Even if valid(which it isn't) this one instance is nothing to the 99% occurrence of them being ground-based fighters.

There is no instance where any of these Koopalings fight you individually with their own Clown Car. Hence, having them as an alt is, to put it nicely, not kosher.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Exactly. They do not use it to fight, they ride a giant one as a means of transportation for all of them. Also, they never use individual Cars. All of them bunched in a giant Clown Car shining a light at you doesn't cut it. Even if valid(which it isn't) this one instance is nothing to the 99% occurrence of them being ground-based fighters.

There is no instance where any of these Koopalings fight you individually with their own Clown Car. Hence, having them as an alt is, to put it nicely, not kosher.
Okay, sure. They don't "fight." They don't have their own copter.
But, no offense meant, I don't really care all that much, "kosher" or not. Sorry, but you're barking up the wrong tree.

Last edited:
Top Bottom