• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Koopa Prince: Bowser Jr - Come introduce yourself!

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
My mindset has always been a combination of "No guts, no glory" and "Go big or go home"

But that's just me, and I respect other people's playstyles.

:yoshimelee:

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I go all in once I have a slight advantage from staggering an opponent (and that's probably my primary skill in Smash Brothers; I'm all about counting frames and knowing the hitboxes) as I feel loads better about approaching once I have more tools available than they do, but until then, I'll be over heeeeeeere.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
My mindset has always been a combination of "No guts, no glory" and "Go big or go home"

But that's just me, and I respect other people's playstyles.

I also have this mindset and almost play Bowser Jr as a rushdown character strangely enough, but i have always been primarily a Captain Falcon player so it shouldn't come as a surprise :4falcon:

Im starting to play as Bowser JR more and more now though as i feel like he has untapped potential and is just too much fun to play.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
My playstyle is a learn-as-you-go playstyle, so I play better against a better opponent..unfortunately,, I am stubborn to adapt to my opponent :(

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
As far as I can tell, most everyone moves forward with this character, actually.
Didnt really understand the sentence but i guess you mean that players are advancing and getting better at using him?

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Whaaat? His run turnaround is nuts for it. F-Tilt is stupid good, lingering aerial hitboxes and two landing hitboxes, feints/hit-and-runs with Forward-B, a nice dash grab, reliable anti-air tools...

Didnt understand the sentence but i guess you mean that players are getting better and better at using him?
Most players I've seen try to use stage control and rush the opponent down with it.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Mechakoopas are fine for camping as long as the opponent isn't up close from the beginning. Part of Bowser Jr.'s general threat is how he has hitboxes out all the time. Down-B is no exception when covered right; he also has a great item throw on top of that.

SirPulse

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirPulse
3DS FC
0490-6309-5461
first time in koopa kid thread and i gotta admit, was sorta hoping id find a poll for favorite child.
L A R R Y B O Y Z

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Team Larry all the way man.

Also sup Juniors.
Lucario main here. There's no way any other character I play even compares to the level i'm at with him, but god I wanna git gud as Bowz Jr.

This character's damn fun.
Too bad i'm furry trash at heart.

Last edited:

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
I go between what I tend to call the Dork trio.
We got Larry (the Derp)
Wendy (the Hyperactive)
and Morton (the Doof)
Mainly use Wendy though. So adorably vicious when she smirks!

Also, anyone else kinda wish they had the mario Kart 8 voices in smash? There needs to be some hack of that, preferably with Roy going WOOOAAAAGH! for side b, maybe dsmash punctuated with a YEAH-UH!

Also, new icon! Actually done it a while ago but forgot to use it here.:p

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I go between what I tend to call the Dork trio.
We got Larry (the Derp)
Wendy (the Hyperactive)
and Morton (the Doof)
Mainly use Wendy though. So adorably vicious when she smirks!

Also, anyone else kinda wish they had the mario Kart 8 voices in smash? There needs to be some hack of that, preferably with Roy going WOOOAAAAGH! for side b, maybe dsmash punctuated with a YEAH-UH!

Also, new icon! Actually done it a while ago but forgot to use it here.:p
I was kind of disappointed when I found out that Iggy didn't have his Mario Kart 8 voice, I really liked it. He's not bad in Smash 4, but I prefer is Mario Kart 8 voice clips.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
I was kind of disappointed when I found out that Iggy didn't have his Mario Kart 8 voice, I really liked it. He's not bad in Smash 4, but I prefer is Mario Kart 8 voice clips.
The one I missed most was Larry's. The Sounds Resource actually has the MK8 voice rips and Larry's are so utterly adorable!

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Bowser Jr. needs a big buff if we were to get another balancing update, sure many will disagree, but think about a Bowser Jr. vs Fox and Rosaluma matchup, not to mention VS Link and Toon link when they spam there projectiles and are fast to dodge Bowser Jr,'s projectiles, imo for what they need to buff him on is, make him able to get back in his clown car after he gets gimped or hit offstage, since when you go and recover, they can easily gimp you offstage, and his clown car doesn't regenerate for a long time, also, I think Bowser Jr. should be more better, his lag on his moves make him a HORRIBLE thread to Fox, he has almost every advantage against him, reflecting the cannon and mechakoopa, faster non-lag moves to combo with, 5 Utilts and then a uair, other characters have a advantage though... Ganondorf vs Fox, sure Fox would "win" but Ganondorf has a higher chance in winning than Bowser Jr.
and yes, im salty for getting rekt by Fox and Rosalina users on FG
also, which is better to use? Bowser Jr.'s bair or nair? I personally think nair due to how wide it goes, but what about the damage of bair?

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
@ Golden Sun Golden Sun Now im just speaking from my Point of view but Nair is generally a good "get off me" attack since it has fast startup and a wide hitbox, and its also a okay OoS option.
The damage is not Good though sitting at 6% and it doesnt autocancel like the other aerials.

Bair has slower startup but great damage, range, and the highest knockback out of his aerials, so i find myself using it often for example when i need a fast punish from the air and to space with it even if Fair is a better spacing tool. Both aerials are good to use from Side B too.

Last edited:

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Don't forget, a well timed nair can even stage spike! But yeah generally I tend to use it as a get-off move since, well, it's good at that. Also use it when someone's trying to be awkward (such as jumping over/switching sides a lot) but as sometimes as a followup to sideb when the opponent ends up not being in a good place for the other moves.

He's got a lot to work with but I wouldn't complain if Dsmash didn't leave as much of an opening or upair became much better at killing... or maybe some shield damage for the cannons since they're otherwise not that useful due to their slow speed...

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Hey Juniors, :4diddy: Primary, :4bowserjr: secondary. one of my favorite tricks with him is the falling cannon ball off stage, can really limit recovering foes and if they aren't used to it, it's a huge and rewarding surprise.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
@ NidoMay NidoMay Even if Uair could use a knockback buff as a KO move, right now it's a awesome combo/juggling tool in combination with Utilt, has very low startup/endlag and good damage. If it were to get a knockback buff it wouldn't chain or lead to other moves as easily so i think i actually prefer it as it is.

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Hey Juniors, :4diddy: Primary, :4bowserjr: secondary. one of my favorite tricks with him is the falling cannon ball off stage, can really limit recovering foes and if they aren't used to it, it's a huge and rewarding surprise.
I do that a lot actually, I've gotten quite a bit of off-stage cannonball kills.

imo for what they need to buff him on is, make him able to get back in his clown car after he gets gimped or hit offstage, since when you go and recover, they can easily gimp you offstage
Dear god please no, his recovery is good enough as it is. It's quite easy to avoid gimps if you mix up your recovery too.
Pretty sure that strong hits give your kart back if you mash the shield/air-dodge button when you get hit out of it. Weak attacks don't give it back at all.

Last edited:

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
I do that a lot actually, I've gotten quite a bit of off-stage cannonball kills.

Dear god please no, his recovery is good enough as it is. It's quite easy to avoid gimps if you mix up your recovery too.
Pretty sure that strong hits give your kart back if you mash the shield/air-dodge button when you get hit out of it. Weak attacks don't give it back at all.
I'd rather have ledgecanceling for the hammer swing, I see way too many players fail to recover because they forgot that it'll make them miss a ledge and the use for edge protection is situational at best.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I'd rather have ledgecanceling for the hammer swing, I see way too many players fail to recover because they forgot that it'll make them miss a ledge and the use for edge protection is situational at best.
While ledgecanceling for the hammer would be nice, I think that would be too much of a buff as well. It's very powerful and you shoot up pretty fast so it'd almost be a guaranteed recovery

:yoshi64:

Last edited:

Noventia

Smash Cadet
I'm considering picking up junior as he's just so much fun to use. Currently my mains Look like they are going to be Diddy, G&W, Junior, and luigi.

I use morton and bj as my costumes.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
I'm considering picking up junior as he's just so much fun to use. Currently my mains Look like they are going to be Diddy, G&W, Junior, and luigi.

I use morton and bj as my costumes.
*High fives* Morton and Bowser Jr are the best!

Sounds like a pretty solid setup of mains you have there.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
*High fives* Morton and Bowser Jr are the best!

Sounds like a pretty solid setup of mains you have there.
it's neat how they threw in the Koopalings in MK8 (when i didn't think many cared for them), probably to build up their fan base a little for this game.
still disappointed in the lack of monkeys in MK8 though.

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
My old account was hacked. Thus using this new one
Hey ya'll, I went to a tournament in San Diego and got 4th place with just using Jr. It was my first in person smash 4 tourney, I think jr. has a lot to offer in singles, I think playing him takes using the whole bag of tricks and having solid mixup and spacing game. Here are the results from that tourney. Wish there had been videos saved!

http://challonge.com/GetSmashed_1/standings

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Hey ya'll, I went to a tournament in San Diego and got 4th place with just using Jr. It was my first in person smash 4 tourney, I think jr. has a lot to offer in singles, I think playing him takes using the whole bag of tricks and having solid mixup and spacing game. Here are the results from that tourney. Wish there had been videos saved!

http://challonge.com/GetSmashed_1/standings
Well for a first tourney with a character people accuse of sucking that's really something! Well maybe next time you'll know the "typical" tourney players a bit better and maybe grab an even better place!

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
My old account was hacked. Thus using this new one
thanks! yea I hope so, that tourney just inspired me even more to put a lot of time into JR. I almost got 3rd, went 1-2 vs a good megaman player. I've gotta rethink that matchup, megaman and rosalina are hard cause they both pop the robocop so easily. also megaman can stuff your approach with pellets so that can be quite hard to work around.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Well some other forumers mentioned you might be able to trick rosalumas into using downB for certain projectiles (or forcing an early attack works too) that might leave an opening. Dunno about megaman though, he's a tricky one.

Top Bottom