• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Koopa Prince: Bowser Jr - Come introduce yourself!

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
Alright so I'm repping bowser jr all the way in Smash4. Been maining him on the 3ds and I love him in in the WiiU.

Ludwigs my fave since he has hair like mine. Haha.

I got 4th at a tournament last week here in Panama and hopefully I'll show that he's a viable character, though I got my pocket Zamus :D.

I'll post up some vids I got from the tournament and some from this past weekend soon.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hey guys, I'm Hylian. After playing around with characters for a bit I decided on maining BJ/Pac-Man so you'll see me around here a bit. Leaving for a tournament in a bit so hopefully that goes well :p.

Hey Hylian!'

It's Castro. How are you and JoWii?
I find that Upsmash is reliable way to kill onstage, especially if you have rage. I've been using it so much more now that GC controller. My Fair offstage is coming along, but does anybody have tips for maybe mechakoopa drops or cannonball drop shenanigans?

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Well, you double jumping before unleashing a Mechakoopa? It needs to come out of the tumbling animation before it becomes active. Alternatively if you practice a lot, jump once, let one out so close to the edge that it'll hit the ground and go off the edge.

JHamron

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0688-6427-7438
Hello, I'm just here to advert my tourney on Saturday. We need eight "Bowser Jr.s" (one for each costume) and there are still a few other characters left as well. Link in signature.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Would any Bowser Jrs. here like to scrap? I'm looking to get some experience with this MU to help w/ the TL boards MU discussions. Doesn't matter how good you are, but be prepared for a fight :smash: (3DS).

flapjackal

Smash Rookie
NNID
norrbie
3DS FC
4828-5806-3901
Hello everyone! I'm flapjackal and I just joined the forum and thought I'd stop by and introduce myself. Bowser Jr. is currently my main in Smash4, though I do use G&W occasionally. I look forward to getting to know you all! :D

By the way, if anyone is up for it I would love to play some Jr. dittos as I'm trying to improve. Just send me a message.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Not really, mostly just sets up for edge-guarding.
Second'd!

I've not gotten many if any kills by throwing alone but most of the kos can from hurling foes off the stage and then either pelting them with cannonballs or doing a little DIY brain surgery with fsmash!

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Got the Wii U version now!

Is it me or is it actually easier to connect with combos? I'm practicing/grinding for unlocks with level 7 cpus and I'm smacking them around like ragdolls...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm considering having Ludwig as my secondary. So far I've learnt that the Kart's momentum can be cancelled by hopping and that the Eject Button is a surprisingly effective kill move with correct prediction, but is there any other good tips for a Bowser Jr. newcomer?

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
It's not so much a competitive note but on modes like Classic on the wii u (namely the bigger fights where they're lighter) that dropping clown cars with upb is a good way to thin out the crowd!

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I have no idea how to KO with this character. Apparently he has to edgeguard, but I don't know what attacks I'm supposed to be using.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I have no idea how to KO with this character. Apparently he has to edgeguard, but I don't know what attacks I'm supposed to be using.
Bair or just wait lol.

Sidenote: I won a tourney today with :4roy:! I had to switch off :4roy: in WF and GF because I don't know how to fully fight :4diddy: yet, but I'll learn.

:018:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Really enjoying this little guy, considering using him as my secondary, anything important I should know about him?
Landing on stage without your car sucks.

Actually, up-B in general is a flexible move but it has its fair share of punishes. If you use it offstage and get hit with a weak attack before you get your car back, you're probably going to die.

If you connect with the landing hit of DAir you have no endlag, so free followups!

Jab is terrible.

But yeah, he's fun to play. I didn't expect to use him as much as I have.

Also, hi Bowser Jr. boards!

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Alright, so you guys may already know some of this, or all of it; but I thought it'd be best to cover it with you all anyway.

So a friend and I have been labbing to test Ness' Bthrow kill percents for every character in the game. I was going from heaviest to lightest (he was going the opposite so we'd meet in the middle) and I came to Charizard + Bowser jr who are meant to be the same weight. Charizard's results did not surprise me in the least; but jr on the other hand died abnormally early for his weight class, especially when thrown from the near end of FD (died at something like 95/96% with sub-optimal DI; so thankfully you guys die a little later than that). At first I just considered him an anomaly, or a bit of an outlier - but when I mentioned it to the friend; and later to Aerodrome, they both cottoned on to a possible solution.

Aerodrome asked me to tell him the percent damage it did to Jr. Suspecting he was talking about the clown car's 4/5 reduction of damage ---> less KB on any given attack, I decided to test it using Ness' Bair. On Charizard it did 15% damage standard. On Jr's Clown Car it did 12% and on his head, 17%. I then went to throws. Dthrow normally does 7% but to jr did 8%, and Bthrow on most characters does 11%, but did 12% to Jr.

In other words, throws always count as a 'hit' to Jr's head; and as such throw KB is determined by the new damage. This means that against characters with kill throws such as Ness, Jr is going to act slightly lighter than he is in reality because damage is used to calculate KB.

It's not really relevant against anyone else, nor does it even make THAT big a difference because all it means is we'll kill you only ever so slightly earlier; but it's still something to consider and something to keep in mind vs Ness, especially one in rage. Just for your info, Ness Bthrow without rage but fresh kills Jr at near side FD at 95/96%, centre FD at 124% and far side FD at 155%. These are sub-optimal DI so in reality you'll likely live a little longer; but they're also without rage so be wary if your opponent is damaged.

I'll be posting the results of our labbing a bit later on; but I thought as you guys were the anomaly i'd let you know early. I do love jr btw, I use him as a secondary. Hope you guys find this just a little bit useful. :)

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
I don't really see what's so bad about jab compared to most other characters with similar moves. Just need to use it on the right opponents. Jiggly can wiggle out of it just like any other jab but Charizard over a ledge?

Helpful thing when it comes to edgeguarding is that a lot of the moves have multiple or lasting hits. Like a well-timed airdodge might not be enough to fully avoid a fair and if an opponent tries rolling from a ledgegrab and rolls right into a sidesmash? basically it lets them catch those tiny frames of vulnerability.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Hey guys whatsup, Abyssal Lagiacrus here rocking :4iggy:

I was very excited when I found out about Bowser Jr. being a playable character, and even more so when I found out I could be the koopalings. Great to be around other like-minded smashers.

Landing on stage without your car sucks.

Actually, up-B in general is a flexible move but it has its fair share of punishes. If you use it offstage and get hit with a weak attack before you get your car back, you're probably going to die.
Is it only weak hits that completely gimp you? I've gotten quite good at avoiding being gimped by up-special because if you get hit while kart-less, airdodging usually gives me my kart back.

Up-Smash and F-Smash are very good kill options if you get your opponent up to high enough percents (~100-120 usually, just make sure the last hit of F-Smash hits, it's the kill hit). His D-Smash is also a very hard hitter, but use it very sparingly because it has hideous end-lag. I only use his D-Smash when I'm fairly confident that it will hit. B-Air is also a great way to get kills when going off-stage, way better than F-Air. That's made even better by the fact that going deep off-stage is safe/easy with Bowser Jr., so go as deep as you want.

-

On the note of his up-special, does anyone else here use up-special as a staple move both for mobility and offense? I find myself using it more just to be all over the place than only for recovery. It's especially satisfying when I abandon my kart on top of someone, and have them explode right into my hammer swing (which is also a great kill setup if the opponent has enough damage.)

-

I also use side-special a lot for mix-ups and just tricking my opponent in general. A lot of people expect Bowser Jr. mains to only Kart toward them and spin out all the time, but I find myself hardly ever spinning out for attack. I usually kart toward them and jump-cancel into a wide variety of things, just to keep them on their toes and be unpredictable. (Don't even get me started on how amazing the side-special is for my recovery game.)

-

I've heard a good amount of smashers talk about how the Cannonball is a terrible move, but I found that if you utilize it efficiently then it can be a deadly option for mixup.
For example, if you get knocked off stage, then angle towards the stage (without karting) while charging your cannon, then let it loose when it's stage-level. Even though it has a lot of end lag, you are pretty safe for recovery since you can koopa-kart, then jump-cancel, then up-special.
Heck, when I'm on the stage, I even koopa-kart jump-cancel into a non-charged cannon and it's a great way to throw off an opponent.

-

The mecha-koopa is definitely a staple move to try and place around a lot. Not all the time, but a lot. It's a very useful little contraption that can save you in a pickle, since it roams around the stage. I can't even number the times where someone has me in a combo, and my mecha-koopa comes and ruins their day.
It's also a useful tool for securing stage recovery; If I get knocked off stage, it's a very good idea to koopa-kart into a jump-cancel above the stage ledge, and place a mecha-koopa right on the ledge so you can have an easier time getting back.
Just be very very careful about using your mecha-koopa against a Villager, since they can pocket and hold it indefinitely by refreshing it by taking it out and re-pocketing it. (Though that might not be a completely terrible situation, since they can't pocket your cannonballs :troll: I did that once against a villager, just stood there fully-charging a cannon and they tried to pocket it, but they just pulled my mecha-koopa back out. Best cannonball shot ever.)

Last edited:

Fingerp@ss

Smash Cadet
Hello my friends, my name is Pat (gamertag is Fingerp@ss). I was a Yoshi main in Brawl and am a Yoshi main in this game however I've been giving extensive amount of game time to Jr. I am happy to say I will be joining many of you in the endless struggles of Bowser Jr.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Hey guys!
Just like fingerpass I'm a Yoshi Main who's going to put a huge load of time into learning this little scumbag.
Jr. and his moveset are way too epic to be ignored, so it's time to tame this little beast!

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Looking at the Wii U version's replay channel, seems he's doing a lot better, probably due to c-stick easier smashes letting him make better use of his killmoves including pivot Fsmash (plus a extra shield poke that seems stronger than 3ds)
Other things that work in his favour:
- Between the Charizard-level weight and brilliant recovery options, he's a tough ******* to take out.
-I think his kart dash might be better too, seems to flow into dsmash on low %
- As long as you can master both, he has options to fight close rangers AND long rangers.
- his tilts are fast. Really fast.
-It seems like most of his moves lead easier into another
-Hitting the other way on the kart dash causes an immediate spinout, a little too close for most to read properly, considering it's one of his harder hitters and all...
So the HD move has been quite kind to him, I think a few other characters benefit too like Megaman and such (again, easier smashes)

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
i was just wondering if you guys found a use for d throw instead of f throw. to me they do the same job but f throw does more damage. neither seem to combo. heck maybe b throw is even better than both of them. unless you guys found something useful with his throws that i havent.

also how do you deal with freaking weegee? thats literally the only mu i cant stand. i like the rosalina, sonic and diddy mus but i hate freaking weegee

Sheepat

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, name's Sheepat. I main Bowser Jr. He just feels so natural to me, actually. It's funny how people say that he's a clunky guy.

I am feeling a tad disheartened at the moment though. I faced a Yoshi today and I feel like nothing was working. Does anyone have any tips?

="Youngster Joey, post: 18236493, member: 212784"]i was just wondering if you guys found a use for d throw instead of f throw. to me they do the same job but f throw does more damage. neither seem to combo. heck maybe b throw is even better than both of them. unless you guys found something useful with his throws that i havent.

also how do you deal with freaking weegee? thats literally the only mu i cant stand. i like the rosalina, sonic and diddy mus but i hate freaking weegee
I usually always use b throw even if it's stale because it still does the most damage. Never use dthrow because it's useless and low damage.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
I mainly dthrow out of habit, sometimes I can get an easy fair in too if quick enough. Tend to use fthrows and bthrows for getting chumps offstage to bludgeon with cannonballs and anything else that might be useful at the time.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I tried out :4larry: two days ago out of a Random run on For Glory against this guy I was playing maybe 30 matches with. Didn't think anything of it.

Then I got him again the next morning. So I figured I'd try him out some and see what happens. And oh my god he is so fun to use.

Considering making this guy a secondary....once I figure out optimal Mechakoopa play.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I tried out :4larry: two days ago out of a Random run on For Glory against this guy I was playing maybe 30 matches with. Didn't think anything of it.

Then I got him again the next morning. So I figured I'd try him out some and see what happens. And oh my god he is so fun to use.

Considering making this guy a secondary....once I figure out optimal Mechakoopa play.
Step 1: Deploy backwards.

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
My old account was hacked. Thus using this new one
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm ViceGrip and a 100% Ludwig main. I've put well over 100 hours into playing Ludwig on both the 3ds and wiiu and I think he's a very strong character and not just a gimmicky one. His spacing and mixup game is really strong along with varied reliable finishers and the potential to kill early with a hard read or gimp. I was a Ness main in brawl and for the majority of Brawl's lifetime I was ranked as 3rd. Ness is better this time around but unfortunately he doesn't suit my personal playstyle anymore but Ludwig is his spiritual successor to me as far as gameplay preference goes. Nice to meet you guys and look forward to strategizing and what not!

-ViceGrip

NintendoID - V1cegrip

Last edited:
Top Bottom