• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Koopa Prince: Bowser Jr - Come introduce yourself!

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
I will say, I probably will never understand the complaint that you aren't playing as Bowser Jr. The Koopa clown car is an extension of him. Not to mention you will most likely hear his voice and personality.

Really, I don't need him punching and kicking, I'm fine with an awesome and unique move set. <3
Well it is simple to understand. You are not playing as Bowser Jr, you are playing a machine while Jr sits inside(mostly). The Junior Clown Car is his favorite machine, but isn't Bowser Junior.

The same, exact, argument can be made for Bowser and even Captain Falcon. The same one. Would it be playing Captain Falcon if he was just in the Blue Falcon all the time? No, you would be playing a car titled "Captain Falcon." Having him shout and make facial expressions while doing this still wouldn't justify it or make him funner character to play.

Playing "Bowser Jr." is playing a generic clown car that many different koopalings(or anyone with arms) can use...hence them being alts. It's a deliberate move to make Bowser Junior a malleable character, and therefore a proxy for all the koopalings to cram themselves into this game. I literally feel that's the only reason Junior got included in this manner; Sakurai just wanted an easy way to get them all in. They wh*red out Junior, his slot, and his car, for those wannabees.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
*Ahem*

Probably it has been stated already. But the main reason I wouldn't like the koopalings as alts its because Junior deserves the spot alone in revenge for being left out of Mario Kart 8. A bit also because if they plan to use all the Koopaling, Morton and Roy will look ridiculous if shrunk in size to match Junior's hitbox size. I like the koopalings though; and if they can implement it, so be it.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
So who wanted to be added?

1. Mario_and_Sonic_Guy
2. BluePikmin11
3. Brawler610
4. Mr. KoopaTurtle
5. Arcadenik
6. smashkirby
7. Ryan.
8. Seltraeh22
9. Cheezey Bites
10. Toxicroaker
11. Thereallucario
12. Prince17
13. egaddmario
14. dimensionsword64
15. BKupa666
16. Hyper_Ridley
17. AIM0001
18. R.O.B.
19. Venus of the Desert Bloom
20. bombers14
21. @HBC | J
22. Frostwraith
23. ItsSilverLPs
24. Jhonnykiller45
25. D-didara
26. jigglover
27. Rockaphin
28. Keybladeguy
29. VictoryIsMudkips
30. BirthNote
31. Yoshi
32. SmashShadow
33. Ember Reaper
34. Giant Breadbug
35. MagnesD3
36. Swampasaur
37. Cool Daddy Booty Funk
38. 3Bismyname
39. goldglover5
40. bananija
41. FalKoopa
42. Ridles the Space Pirate
43. Vintage Creep
44. Komenja
45. Banjodorf
46. TumblrFamous
47. Michael Blaine
48. SpaceJell0
49. thethirdkoopa
50. aldelero5
51. APC99
52. SuperBrawler
53. Welshy91
54. Guybrush20X6
55. Alban712
56. grizby2
57. EddyBearr
58. No Control
59. Shorts
60. Xcsmmc
61. OctiVick
62. andimidna
63. Cpt.
64. harpuia190
65. RyanR
66. Thekewlusername
67. Lazurwolf
68. domriver
69. The smash nerd
70. Daviddreamcatcha
71. The Drilling Juggernaut
72. mini pancakes
73. GunGunw
74. PlasmaPuffball
75. xLemmy_Koopax
76. Saltwater Gem
77. Lucimar
78. Dragoncharystary
79. Sebz
80. jacobjeb
81. Arthreeteseven
82. WeirdChillFever
83. TORNADO BUS DRIVER
84. SS-Bros. 14
85. Reila
86. tacofaaf
87. Hmmmm
88. Dre.
89. RaccoonBL
90. AnoA
91. PiChuChu
92. Gooper Blooper
93. johno1995
94. Pikablu Pikachu
95. Zhu Qiuo
96. smashingDoug
97. SmilingMad
98. tomvoxx
99. Elite Gaymer
100. The Flying Brick
101. 08skidoosh80
102. Afrodude
103. MooseSmuggler
104. Ryugi
105. LunarDistortion
106. Jave
107. Bradley Wartooth
108. johno1995
109. splat
110. Lizardon
111. KankerSore
112. Fire Tactician
113. Kokopops
114. BanjoK&Mariobros
115. Spinosaurus
116. Zzuxon
117. T-Hell
118. Dragoncharystary
119. shrooby
120. Koji Boon
121. GlitchyFireEmblem
122. jaeohjae
123. SpikedShell
124. obeymalleo
125. TTTTTsd
126. Young Horsetail

Add me please! I can't say I supported Bowser Jr. before the leak, but Bowser Jr. has always been one of my favorite Mario characters. (like father, like son :laugh:)

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I just found out that I'm not controlling the characters in Mario Kart, I'm controlling the karts.

Luminario

Smash Lord
So how many people are liking the clown car? I certainly never expected that even if he did turn out to be playable.
I'm LOVING the idea. I would have never played as Jr if he was on his own. They made a fantastic choice with the Clown Car.

Well at least we get one more decent character choice. Wonder what his FS will be?
I'd say an airship armada bombarding the stage with bob-ombs or cannonballs, or the Koopalings with their wands doing something assuming they're not alts.

Well it is simple to understand. You are not playing as Bowser Jr, you are playing a machine while Jr sits inside(mostly). The Junior Clown Car is his favorite machine, but isn't Bowser Junior.

The same, exact, argument can be made for Bowser and even Captain Falcon. The same one. Would it be playing Captain Falcon if he was just in the Blue Falcon all the time? No, you would be playing a car titled "Captain Falcon." Having him shout and make facial expressions while doing this still wouldn't justify it or make him funner character to play.

Playing "Bowser Jr." is playing a generic clown car that many different koopalings(or anyone with arms) can use...hence them being alts. It's a deliberate move to make Bowser Junior a malleable character, and therefore a proxy for all the koopalings to cram themselves into this game. I literally feel that's the only reason Junior got included in this manner; Sakurai just wanted an easy way to get them all in. They wh*red out Junior, his slot, and his car, for those wannabees.
But the Clown Car was made for battle while the Blue Falcon was made for racing at high speeds and wouldn't make much sense on the battlefield outside of an FS. If Bowser was in his Clown Car in previous appearances I would certainly play as him. I'd say it was a deliberate move to make Jr a unique character instead of running around with a paintbrush. Sakurai has mentioned that he wanted to add a character in a vehicle (i think) and Jr was the perfect fit (did I mention this before?). We all want a Tron Bonne type character right?
Wow you really don't like the idea of Koopaling alts do you? I know the reason why no need to reiterate.
and wannabees? Koopalings came first and in recent mario installments they've been sharing the spotlight with Jr (though Jr gets it more, hence the reason he's the default character).
I know you find this idea to be horrible and again I'm sorry you can play as Jr running around by himself but it was necessary to get him to be a unique character and to be accepted as one of SEVEN mario reps without too much backlash.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Can you add me to the supporters list? I probably should have asked this a long time ago, I've wanted him since Brawl. :p

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
But the Clown Car was made for battle while the Blue Falcon was made for racing at high speeds and wouldn't make much sense on the battlefield outside of an FS. If Bowser was in his Clown Car in previous appearances I would certainly play as him. I'd say it was a deliberate move to make Jr a unique character instead of running around with a paintbrush. Sakurai has mentioned that he wanted to add a character in a vehicle (i think) and Jr was the perfect fit (did I mention this before?). We all want a Tron Bonne type character right?
Wow you really don't like the idea of Koopaling alts do you? I know the reason why no need to reiterate.
and wannabees? Koopalings came first and in recent mario installments they've been sharing the spotlight with Jr (though Jr gets it more, hence the reason he's the default character).
I know you find this idea to be horrible and again I'm sorry you can play as Jr running around by himself but it was necessary to get him to be a unique character and to be accepted as one of SEVEN mario reps without too much backlash.

We all know what the characters were made for is zilch in Smash. If Wii Fit Trainer is here fighting people, it's safe to say all bets are off. My point wasn't necessarily if the Blue Falcon would work, it was just a strict "their canon machines -> used in Smash" comparison. I bet Sakurai could make it work though. That is where I would strongly, strongly differ from you. Bowser being stuck in a Clown Car? That would be the worst move they could do in my opinion. At least Jr is a little kid, so that's a bit more incentive to use a tool to help. Bowser is a big ol dragon-turtle, and to be in a Clown Car with that anatomy is a cosmic injustice. That's just my opinion I suppose. If Sakurai wanted a vehicle character then I would be the first to agree that Junior is a perfect fit, and you never mentioned this before. Even if Junior is a perfect fit for a "vehicle character", I still don't like it any more.

I don't hate the koopalings. It's just the fact that they are being equated to, and thereby lessening Jr is my issue. To put them in a Clown Car fighting people is why they are "wannabees." They never did that before, why do it now? That's Bowser Junior's method, not theirs. Again, you make the questionable assumption that the paintbrush couldn't achieve a uniqueness equal to, or greater than the Clown Car. I dare say I can create a better one with the paintbrush than Sakurai's Clown Car Junior. The paint/goop is literally endless in its possibilities...this is what everyone was championing for Junior since development started. People who backlash Mario's high representation can honestly go somewhere. Mario is not even my favorite franchise, and I actually think they need to have it dominate the roster.

Look, I don't want to be disappointed by Junior's inclusion. I really wish I was happy about it. I was hoping someone here could help me see an alternative way to look at it that would override that disappointment. You guys did good, but I still think it would've made far more sense to have him playable at the most basic level just as all the rest. I also still think the koopaling alts are a bad idea. I also still think the Clown Car would be the perfect Final Smash. I'm glad to see that my view on this is a minority, at least most are really stoked about it.

I just found out that I'm not controlling the characters in Mario Kart, I'm controlling the karts.

Oh please, lol. It is literally impossible for it to be any other way, so the comparison is faulty. In Jr's case, it isn't. He's included in a game where everyone, and I mean everyone runs around. Also, that game is Mario Kart the focus of the game is about them driving machines, not necessarily being able to control your character like in Mario Strikers.

Speaking of Mario Kart, that shows my point rather well. Karts are so generic, anyone can use it, hence every Nintendo character being able to drive one. Some karts are even shared by everyone, showing how non-specific the characters are. I'm pretty sure the characters in that game don't have stats, the karts do.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So I decided to list my thoughts on some of the points against Bowser Jr.

You aren't actually playing as Bowser Jr.
I still don't understand this. Why does Bowser Jr have to use his hands/feet/and/or paintbrush to be counted as "playing as him?" Being in a machine doesn't automatically mean you aren't playing as the character. After all, he still has his personality, his voice, the announcer saying his name.

Bowser Jr. should've used the paintbrush.
I think we were all expecting his moveset to be based around the paintbrush. However it's hard to deny the koopa clown car's importance to Bowser Jr and the koopalings.

The thing about the paintbrush is that it has been demoted to use only in the spin off games. Bowser Jr has used the clown car in both the main games and the spin off games.

The thing about the paintbrush is that it is very limited. Sure, you can think of a couple unique things for Bowser Jr, but it doesn't compare to using a machine. The koopa clown car has been known to have so many things like boxing clowns, the mecha koopas, the cannon balls, the fact the Bowser Jr. can actually eject from it. And there is still some stuff we haven't seen.

Besides, he seems to have the paintbrush in parts of his moveset at least:
Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 6.15.30 PM.png

Dr. Eggman
Err...Why are we bringing up Dr. Eggman again? I mean, for one, he is a third party. Two, he is a second sonic character.

Why are we trying to talk about unique 3rd party characters? Who cares if they are or not? The important factor is that they are there. Sakurai just chooses to add a unique moveset to all of them.

Dr. Eggman would not be chosen for a unique moveset, but for his role and importance in the Sonic games. We need to be thinking about Nintendo characters with unique attributes, and Bowser Jr is probably one of the best choice for a mech characters out of all the nintendo characters,

The koopalings take away from Bowser Jr
I won't deny that, but I think it still works. Bowser Jr will still get the main spot light with trophies, CSS, amiibo, what not. And the Koopalings would be promoted with him but not as much.

Even as a way bigger fan of Bowser Jr then the Koopalings, I think the price is essentially worth getting essentially 7 extra playable clones. Sure, I would like Bowser Jr to have all the spotlight, but I also understand not everyone likes Bowser Jr and prefers the koopalings.

I'm pretty sure the characters in that game don't have stats, the karts do.
They actually do. And I'm not talking about Lightweight/Middleweight/etc, I mean every character has there own unique stats. The kart parts just add and subtract from it.

If you want proof, just pick two characters, give them the same kart set up, and see what happens. I can guarantee you that even two lightweights would have different stats.[/quote]

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
We all know what the characters were made for is zilch in Smash. If Wii Fit Trainer is here fighting people, it's safe to say all bets are off. My point wasn't necessarily if the Blue Falcon would work, it was just a strict "their canon machines -> used in Smash" comparison. I bet Sakurai could make it work though. That is where I would strongly, strongly differ from you. Bowser being stuck in a Clown Car? That would be the worst move they could do in my opinion. At least Jr is a little kid, so that's a bit more incentive to use a tool to help. Bowser is a big ol dragon-turtle, and to be in a Clown Car with that anatomy is a cosmic injustice. That's just my opinion I suppose. If Sakurai wanted a vehicle character then I would be the first to agree that Junior is a perfect fit, and you never mentioned this before. Even if Junior is a perfect fit for a "vehicle character", I still don't like it any more.

I don't hate the koopalings. It's just the fact that they are being equated to, and thereby lessening Jr is my issue. To put them in a Clown Car fighting people is why they are "wannabees." They never did that before, why do it now? That's Bowser Junior's method, not theirs. Again, you make the questionable assumption that the paintbrush couldn't achieve a uniqueness equal to, or greater than the Clown Car. I dare say I can create a better one with the paintbrush than Sakurai's Clown Car Junior. The paint/goop is literally endless in its possibilities...this is what everyone was championing for Junior since development started. People who backlash Mario's high representation can honestly go somewhere. Mario is not even my favorite franchise, and I actually think they need to have it dominate the roster.

Look, I don't want to be disappointed by Junior's inclusion. I really wish I was happy about it. I was hoping someone here could help me see an alternative way to look at it that would override that disappointment. You guys did good, but I still think it would've made far more sense to have him playable at the most basic level just as all the rest. I also still think the koopaling alts are a bad idea. I also still think the Clown Car would be the perfect Final Smash. I'm glad to see that my view on this is a minority, at least most are really stoked about it.

Oh please, lol. It is literally impossible for it to be any other way, so the comparison is faulty. In Jr's case, it isn't. He's included in a game where everyone, and I mean everyone runs around. Also, that game is Mario Kart the focus of the game is about them driving machines, not necessarily being able to control your character like in Mario Strikers.

Speaking of Mario Kart, that shows my point rather well. Karts are so generic, anyone can use it, hence every Nintendo character being able to drive one. Some karts are even shared by everyone, showing how non-specific the characters are. I'm pretty sure the characters in that game don't have stats, the karts do.
I really don't have anything to change your views. I guess it's just your preference, and I definitely respect that. I was against him using the Koopa Clown Car at first too, but I like the concept after pondering over it for a while. I actually think that both Bowser Jr. and Rosalina being playable is perfect because they represent two different sides of the Mario franchise.

Rosalina, with her use of Lumas, Launch Stars, and the cosmos, represents the Super Mario Galaxy series. Numerous elements of that series have been incorporated into Rosalina's moveset and personality in Smash. It's beautiful, and I see why @ ChikoLad ChikoLad loves her a lot.

Bowser Jr. is on the other side of the spectrum, representing the NSMB series with his Koopa Clown Car. The Koopa Prince has lately been using his Car, which is outfitted with a plethora of gadgets, in games. He also provides an alternate perspective of the Mario Universe by being a villainous character. With his villainous intentions, kiddish personality, and iconic Koopa Clown Car, Bowser Jr.'s essence is clearly present in this game. His paintbrush just wouldn't be a great way to completely reveal who he is.

Just because you can't control Bowser Jr. on his feet shouldn't mean you aren't playing as him. While I believe the Koopalings would take away from his individuality, he is still the leader of the crew and the Koopa Clown Car is mainly his thing. Overall, Bowser Junior's implementation in Smash is unexpected but wonderful. Him, along with Rosalina, represent two giant aspects of the Mario Series. This was an amazing move by Sakurai and team, and it has personally exceeded my expectations greatly.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
The Up-Tilt being the Paintbrush, I guess it'll be switched to the Wands the Koopalings use in their games when you play as them.

Bowser Jr. is on the other side of the spectrum, representing the NSMB series with his Koopa Clown Car. The Koopa Prince has lately been using his Car, which is outfitted with a plethora of gadgets, in games. He also provides an alternate perspective of the Mario Universe by being a villainous character. With his villainous intentions, kiddish personality, and iconic Koopa Clown Car, Bowser Jr.'s essence is clearly present in this game. His paintbrush just wouldn't be a great way to completely reveal who he is.
Shouldn't the notion that the Koopalings were so highly wanted and being so praised for their mainstream return in NSMBW, to being playable characters in MK8, to now being possible alts with Jr. show also just how far they have also become? They're also the main staples in NSMB-series and also an iconic part of the Mario-series, appearing in the highlight of the series back in the 80's.

I might hope for customized moves that give us moves taken from the Koopalings themselves in some fashion. Or be inspired by them. I keep thinking of Lemmy's rubber balls or Roy's Rockets from NSMBU.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yar, I like the clown car a lot for BJ. I didn't want him in but seeing those leak vids made me like him a lot because he's so different, utilizing his weapon, the clown car

Still would rather have Paper Mario but meh.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
The Up-Tilt being the Paintbrush, I guess it'll be switched to the Wands the Koopalings use in their games when you play as them.

Shouldn't the fact also that Koopalings were so highly wanted and being so praised for their mainstream return in NSMBW, to being playable characters in MK8, to now being possible alts with Jr. show also just how far they have also become? They're also the main staples in NSMB-series and also an iconic part of the Mario-series, appearing in the highlight of the series back in the 80's.

I might hope for customized moves that give us moves taken from the Koopalings themselves in some fashion. Or be inspired by them. I keep thinking of Lemmy's rubber balls or Roy's Rockets from NSMBU.
While that may be true, I'm mainly justifying Bowser Junior's implementation in the game. I don't feel like the Koopalings should be alts for Junior though. It doesn't feel right to me.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
You know I wonder if one of the reasons they updated Bowser's appearance is because of Bowser Jr. If Bowser kept his old Smash design, he'd clash art styles with his son.

Not the only reason, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was another factor.

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I'm surprised at the lack of a supporter list. He seems like someone with a lot of supporters.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
While that may be true, I'm mainly justifying Bowser Junior's implementation in the game. I don't feel like the Koopalings should be alts for Junior though. It doesn't feel right to me.
I can see that, at the end it might even feel like it's "Bowser's Kids/Jr. & Koopalings " more than Jr, but at this point, I might not be surprised to think it as so, considering all of their roles as of last games.
At the end it seems Bowser Jr. is based on his NSMB-outings, represented plausibly by Mushroom Kingdom U in Wii U and Golden Plains in 3DS. I would make sense too: considering NSMB-series' sales and popularity towers quite up when compared to 3D-Marios.

Otherwise he might have been on his feet, or even sporting a mecha based on those in Super Mario Galaxy- but we have Rosalina already for that as you said.

I personally think it all boils to "options". Not necessarily sharing a slot. While it may have made Jr. more unique on himself if he didn't use the Koopa Clown Car, perhaps it was decided to make him use that primarily due being more "stably" present in NSMB-series, thus representing that along with the Koopalings as his optional skins.
It seems to cater on wider audience and make Jr more appealing to those not caring about him, incase they like the other Koopalings more (a big example being me and some other posters here, as well as some friends of mine in Tumblr).

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I guess, at the end it might even feel like it's "Bowser's Kids/Jr. & Koopalings " morethan Jr, but at this point, I might not be surprised to think it as so, considering all of their roles as of last games. At the end it seems Bowser Jr. is based a lot on his NSMB-outings, possiböy represented in Mushroom Kingdom U in Wii U and Golden Plains in 3DS.

However, I personally think it all boils to "options", not necessarily sharing a slot. While it may have made Jr. more unique on himself if he didn't use the Koopa Clown Car, perhaps it was decided to make him use that primarily due being more "stably" present in NSMB-series and representing it, along with the Koopalings as his optional skins. It seems to cater on wider audience and make Jr more appealing to those not caring about him, incase they like the other Koopalings more (a big example being me and some other posters here, as well as some friends of mine in Tumblr).
You have a point there. I guess if Junior and the Koopalings are together, everyone wanting to play as them would be pleased in the end.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I'm surprised at the lack of a supporter list. He seems like someone with a lot of supporters.
I guess a lot of people think that we are only getting one new Mario rep? When we didn't even have a new one in SSBB.....

Idk. Jr. makes perfect sense when you think about it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Have I become the resident/go to/epitome Rosalina fan now or something, being called out like this? :p

Besides that, I echo what I said before - Bowser. Jr was the next best choice for a Mario rep after Rosalina, I feel, and I really like what they've done with him. We've got the four major protagonists of Mario, and the two major antagonists of Mario now. I really feel like nobody else is needed. I know some people think two new Mario reps is overdoing it and that's understandable, but on another hand, at least these two are out of the way now, so when the next generation of Smash comes along, we maybe won't have to worry about Mario reps being added at all. I could see them adding Daisy as a Peach clone next time around if they run into a Lucina-esque situation with the next Smash after Wii U/3DS, but that's pretty much the only place I can see it going, and even that's unlikely, I'd say.

As far as the Koopalings go, I couldn't care less for them being alts. I don't understand why people get attached to them, but if it makes people happy, why not?

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Have I become the resident/go to/epitome Rosalina fan now or something, being called out like this? :p

Besides that, I echo what I said before - Bowser. Jr was the next best choice for a Mario rep after Rosalina, I feel, and I really like what they've done with him. We've got the four major protagonists of Mario, and the two major antagonists of Mario now. I really feel like nobody else is needed. I know some people think two new Mario reps is overdoing it and that's understandable, but on another hand, at least these two are out of the way now, so when the next generation of Smash comes along, we maybe won't have to worry about Mario reps being added at all. I could see them adding Daisy as a Peach clone next time around if they run into a Lucina-esque situation with the next Smash after Wii U/3DS, but that's pretty much the only place I can see it going, and even that's unlikely, I'd say.

As far as the Koopalings go, I couldn't care less for them being alts. I don't understand why people get attached to them, but if it makes people happy, why not?
There isn't anyone better to represent the Queen of the Cosmos other than you.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Normally, I would say the same thing, but considering that the game probably doesn't have enough space for that kind of thing, I think the Koopalings should probably be alts. for Jr.. However, I'll simply say this, considering the large amount of popularity and exposure the kids have been getting with Jr., ever since NSMBW, I think alts. are the way to go, and I'd be disappointed if Sakurai went with "recolors". They need to have their own models, like this:
so as to make seem unique from Jr. himself. Also, this showed up as one of the "official" leaked images:
So I guess this shows some evidence that the Koopalings may have a big role in the game. I mean think about it, why would Larry be in a Koopa Clown Car for his trophy? And what's more, the Clown Car he appears to be riding is none other than JR.'S Clown Car. (Only now, with a "blue theme" to it.) And don't forget, The Wii Fit Trainer (Male) also has a trophy of himself, despite the female version being the "main focus" of the two. Maybe all this means the Koopalings are likely to be playable after all and we just have to wait fro an official announcement. Oh, man! I can see it now: Jr.'s trailer ends with some text saying: "P.S., You can also play as ALL of the Koopalings!!!". At the same, we're seeing a 7-way split screen of gameplay of the Koopalings fighting a Mario character, and Mario "sub-series" characters! My hype would NEVER be contained after that!!!!!:colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful: (Well, ALL of this, AND Duck Hunt Dog's "official" confirmation" would not llet contain all my hype.:smirk:)

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Normally, I would say the same thing, but considering that the game probably doesn't have enough space for that kind of thing, I think the Koopalings should probably be alts. for Jr.. However, I'll simply say this, considering the large amount of popularity and exposure the kids have been getting with Jr., ever since NSMBW, I think alts. are the way to go, and I'd be disappointed if Sakurai went with "recolors". They need to have their own models, like this:
so as to make seem unique from Jr. himself. Also, this showed up as one of the "official" leaked images:
So I guess this shows some evidence that the Koopalings may have a big role in the game. I mean think about it, why would Larry be in a Koopa Clown Car for his trophy? And what's more, the Clown Car he appears to be riding is none other than JR.'S Clown Car. (Only now, with a "blue theme" to it.) And don't forget, The Wii Fit Trainer (Male) also has a trophy of himself, despite the female version being the "main focus" of the two. Maybe all this means the Koopalings are likely to be playable after all and we just have to wait fro an official announcement. Oh, man! I can see it now: Jr.'s trailer ends with some text saying: "P.S., You can also play as ALL of the Koopalings!!!". At the same, we're seeing a 7-way split screen of gameplay of the Koopalings fighting a Mario character, and Mario "sub-series" characters! My hype would NEVER be contained after that!!!!!:colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful: (Well, ALL of this, AND Duck Hunt Dog's "official" confirmation" would not llet contain all my hype.:smirk:)
I can totally see his reveal trailer actually featuring the Koopalings at the end. Like, the reveal trailer is Bowser Jr. versus, say, Fox and Falco (dual reveal FTW) and at the end he looks like he's losing. Instead of backing off, he laughs and whistles, and from the background we see each of the Koopalings fly in on their own Clown Cars while laughing. It would be awesome.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
TBH I've never understood Nintendo's sudden fascination with the Koopalings, especially how much they tried to hype them up for MK8. As far as their NSMB boss fights go, all of them were as easy as taking on a room of Goombas in NSMBU, and their fights tended to be over in seconds (except Iggy, his was drawn out a LITTLE bit because he likes to try run away from you and stick to the ceiling like a coward). And I don't even need to mention how they are more of a blank slate than Daisy even is.

But I think they could bolster Bowser Jr's trailer a bit, get a few more participants into the CGI action.

But I'd really rather something like this for his trailer:

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am conflicted on the Koopalings alts thing. On the one hand, I find the idea of making the Koopalings playable as alts incredible. I mean, it is hard to hate the idea of seven extra characters being represented in Smash as alts, especially the Koopalings (I have fond memories of them in Super Mario Bros. 3 and World).

On the other hand, if they are Bowser Jr's alts, that will take a lot of Bowser Jr's uniqueness, which he pretty much deserves at this point, being possibly the most recurring villain in the series (since Sunshine, of course) besides his father, Bowser. I really don't know what to think yet.

By the way, if the Koopalings truly are alts for Bowser Jr, I am expecting other characters to get alts that aren't simply different outfits, but another character entirely. Stuff like Alph being Olimar's alt (which happens to be part of the leak, iirc?), SS Zelda for TP/Smash Zelda, maybe Impa for Sheik, etc.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
By the way, if the Koopalings truly are alts for Bowser Jr, I am expecting other characters to get alts that aren't simply different outfits, but another character entirely. Stuff like Alph being Olimar's alt (which happens to be part of the leak, iirc?), SS Zelda for TP/Smash Zelda, maybe Impa for Sheik, etc.
This is why I'm hoping for Daisy to Peach's alt in this game. Even if some of her moves might seem difficult to make "Daisy"-like, but I personally think they'd just have to keep hitboxes and properties same, but change the animations only.
It'd be awesome to have both of my MK8-mains in the game (along with Daisy actually joining the two other princesses as sort of anti-meme thing - besides Daisy in Smash would be really cool)

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice

He's in the game, and I consider that to simply be the most important thing. But I do understand where you're coming from regarding the Clawn Car, and I feel the same way to some extent. I have mixed feelings about the Clown Car -- on one hand, it's a cute, fun and unique device, but on the other hand, it's not actually him doing the fighting. I hope that he has some moves that involve him attacking on his own, but I won't be that upset even if that's not the case.

I totally agree about the Koopaling part, shoving eight characters into one slot is f***ing stupid and I'm actually going to be upset if that's the case. Though I confess I'd play as some of them regardless.

...*facepalm*
Are you joking?
I assume they meant Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Rosalina as the protags and Bowser and his son as the antags. I don't necessarily agree with the classification and the "no more Mario characters" part but I don't see how it's facepalm worthy.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
...*facepalm*
Are you joking?
Toad isn't a protagonist. It's a generic race that is sometimes playable in the multiplayer platformers when Miyamoto feels animating dress physics is too much for NSMB.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Toad isn't a protagonist. It's a generic race that is sometimes playable in the multiplayer platformers when Miyamoto feels animating dress physics is too much for NSMB.
Yeah. Same goes to the Bandana Waddle Dee from the Kirby series.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I hope for Captain Toad to finally join the league to take back the title of being their representative/leader.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Yar, I like the clown car a lot for BJ. I didn't want him in but seeing those leak vids made me like him a lot because he's so different, utilizing his weapon, the clown car

Still would rather have Paper Mario but meh.
This is the comment that feel very bad for both thread, here and mine.

No one said Paper Mario is [deconfirmed] and in fact, it's pure assumption like sal being the final roster.

To tell that it's bad to see him not being in FOR NOW and put the fault on jr is sad for both this thread and mine.

I really don't like this. I'm ok to support as long as others aren't hurt in their support and also, I said multiple time that I'm neutral on jr.

Don't get me wrong, Jr looks good and unique as I tough he would (unexpected way, but still unique), but don't assume another candidate is deconfirmed when it was never stated to blame a character.

I'm actually aren't even supposed to tell this here, but this is getting annoying with how much support threads like mine has difficulties because of assumption not stated, spreading this on other threads makes this worse.

Top Bottom