• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Interview Topic - #5 NinjaLink (Interview Up!)

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
So here in the general brawl room we will be bringing you an interview from a Top Player or Influential Member of the Community every other week, to be released soon.

Better yet the questions we will be using will be coming from none other than well, you. The format works like this. I will open the thread, tell you who we are interviewing this go around, and then leave it open for about a week for you to submit any and all potential interview questions you can think of (please only post actual questions in the thread until the interview goes up). We will then take the best of the bunch, use them for the actual interview, and then bam like butter will edit the topic so the world can see the interview.

Past Interviews:

M2K
DSF
Anther
Dojo

The Sauce Boss
What is your opinion on the metaknight vs diddy match-up?
NL: the matchup MK wins. Since everyone likes ratio lol i'd say 60/40 MK at worst for diddy and 55/45 at best

Why do you use so many characters?
NL: Well at first, I just wanted to main the swordsman characters and Zelda. Since i didnt know what each character in the game can do, i just picked random just to see what each is capable of. By doin this since about april 08 i ended up learning all the caracters on accident lol.

Cutter
Why do you want infinites banned?
NL: Brawl isnt entirely combo based. Its mostly proper spacing and predicting ur opponent. To have something such as an infinite would be completely unfair. You normally take some damage because u made a mistake in your defense. Having Infinites is basically saying you are not allowed 1 single mistake. It'll be a bit different if alot of characters have it but a little amount has them such as Ice Climbers and Dedede. There is other alternatives to racking damage other than infinites obviously. I understand taking 50-60% from making mistake but not your entire stock from 0%. It also kills the competitiveness from play.

Dracanoa44
Who do you think MK goes even with, and why? Do any characters have an advantage over him?
NL: I feel snake at best counters MK. Snake is the only character MK would have to fight different due to Snakes grenades. Every attack MK has detonates the grenade due to him having transcendant priority so MK has to resort to grabbing alot which makes MK a bit more predictable. If Snake isnt gimped Snake usually wins the match. MK has to most likely gimp snake to win due to snakes weight. Snake kills MK around average 90-95% depending on stage while Snake dies around 140% and higher on average.

-What are your Favorite Stages?
NL: well i like Battlefield, FD and Smashville.

Kinzer
Is there any character you hope you don't get from the randomization button? If so why?
NL: I hope to not get Ice Climbers. Reason why is even in friendlies i have people camp me. ICs = Camp me hard please.

Do you feel that any character is underrepresented in-tourney or that a character hasn't reached full potential by his/her/its actual mainers?
NL: sure. Alot of players dont recognize the potential of their characters. There are also players that are most likely using the wrong character cause their talent fits a another character better. Also the fact that the MK issue is causing players to lose hope in their character and just use MK themselves which happens alot.

BananaHammock
How much wood could a ninjalink chuck if a ninjalink could chuck wood?
NL: what a question lol. I wont chuck the wood i'll just slice it

_Phloat_
What do you think the biggest mistake is on the tier list?
NL: i feel luigi should be much higher on the list. He doesnt get much good rep besides 2-3 players and rank high with him
Falco shouldnt be that high on the tier list either.

SamuraiPanda
Why are your finger nails so long?
NL: Personal preference strangely. Also what is weird is when i cut them too low i tend to get sick. Also makes girls jealous that my all-natural nails look better than theres lmao. Don't hurt me ladies >.<

Chis
What’s the reasoning behind your name?
NL:Well there isnt much reasoning behind it sadly. When i was younger i tended to sneak behind people without making myself being noticed alot which is basically ninja status lol. I was making an xbox live account i needed to make a gamertag so i had to think of something. I was thinking ninja something cause of what i just said also im a HUGE fan of swords. Also im a zelda fan so i thought Link. I liked the name so i used that on xbox live and stuck with it ever since.

How do you feel about ADHD?
NL: no comment :3

S.O.L.I.D
Is it tough having to practice so many characters in order to stay good with all of them?
NL: well i barely practice . For me at least it feels like im not gettin the proper practice that i want. Sometimes I do get what i need but alot of the time practice doesnt help much. Most of the time, its mostly like mental practice. Theoretical I guess u can call it. I usually play the character just by thinking 'This move does this so i can follow up with these options' and knowing all my options. That is what im thinking when i play.

Tennet
popeyes or KFC?
NL: Really? Lmao. Popeyes. Even with their buttery a** biscuits.

Cyan_
Do you play Smash 64?
NL: i played it way back then. I used Link and Mario.

ETWIST51294
Why didn't you ever go to tournys with your amazing roy?
NL: i did go to tourneys. Its just every one CPed me with chars they didn’t use. I literally only fought ICs and sheik both like very very horrible matchups for roy. basically 1 grab = death. So stupid.

Auroreon
Who would you say are the most challenging characters to play as and why?
NL: hmm hard to say. Most of low tiers. For me i'd say PT, Falcon and Ganon.

Vyse
What are your predictions for this game both in the short term and long term?
NL: Short term it seems players are just gonna resort to MK. For Long term, players may actually trust themselves with their main more than just using MK. Maybe actually stop camping their life away and actually learn how to space themselves while being aggressive but it seems no one likes to earn their wins.

The Sìrén
What are your plans for the future?
NL: Try to better myself as a player and attend every tourney possible country wide ........maybe international >.>

What are you thinking mentally when you enter a high-level tournament? (For example, are you usually confident, boastful, easy-going? OR more modest, quiet, and composed?)
NL: kinda everything. I'm usually acting silly when im in winners then when im in losers im quiet and focused. Or if im bored out my mind by playing certain players, i look angry and stay quiet.

Who do you consider the current top 5 players in the U.S.? and why?
NL: Hard to Say. M2K is the most consistent. The others im unsure of.

Ally
What is your point of view about the MK banning? Are you against or for it? Why?
NL: I am for MK ban. After awhile i noticed, You only win the matchup cause you are better than them or because you know what they are gonna do next. I know the MK matchup well but it seems that no matter what im working WAAAAAY harder than my opponent.

Jupz
Who is your fave doubles partner?
NL: M2K even though i teamed with him only once lol. We didnt lose a single match XD. 2-0ed and 3-0ed everyone

Spadefox
Are you playing other fighting games, or games in general besides Smash? If yes, are you playing these games competitively (if applicable)?
NL: i play Melty Blood, Tekken(very little), Arcana Heart, DBZ Budokai 3 and some others. In general i usually play rhythm games such as DDR and DJMax (secret to tech skill lmao). Also RPGs, action, adventure and puzzle games.

Vyse
Are you ever going to travel overseas in the future?
NL: I'm planning to go to hawaii in late july. Just tryin to earn money for it.

Galax1117
how long have you been playing smash?
NL: ever since smash 64
giants or jets? mets or yankees?
NL: Dont watch sports @_@

RATED
how did u feel when u beat M2k?
NL: I felt like i proved myself as a top player 

Tuestresfat
When you found out Roy was to be discontinued in the release of Brawl, how upset were you on a scale of 1-10? 1 being not at all affected, 10 being on the verge of committing suicide.
NL: i would say 2. Reason why is because i was more of a swordsman main and friends told mye my Roy was special so i stuck with him. I saw Roy wasnt in and i wasnt all that upset 

At tournaments, how much do you try to counterpick bad matchups against your opponent and how much is it "i'm gonna use gannon/bowser/ike/etc cuz i feel like it at the moment"?
NL: I usually go for either neutral or advantageous matchups. Sometimes wild ones. I just use jiggs in tourney yesterday and the guy was MINDFU*KED! LMAO. But 80% of the time its cause i feel like it.

You claim to main random. Yet I have never seen you use MK. Why is this? Does this have to do with your opinion on MK banning? Speaking of high tiers, there aren't exactly a lot of videos of you using characters like snake or dedede and most of them date back to 5-8 months ago. Is it because they're high tiers, enough people already use them and you want to be unique? Or do you think they're overpowered?

NL: The only people to see me use MK is in person. I won't put any vids up of him. I really only put vids up to help out other players as to another possible way to play the character. I'm not gonna further help an issue thats pretty major in the community. As for high tiers, I do use but not much. They havent come up on my random alot lol. I just used D3 in tourney yesterday and snake I believe i have a recent video up. My videos are usually just showing potential of characters or showing how to beat another character.......or just **** moments XD

Swordplay
Who is your favorite character in Smash? (AKA your a fan of _______ Not because he most fun to play or best but because he/she/it is awesome to you.)
NL: Thats a hard choice. I love all the swordsman characters plus Zelda and Lucario.

Goodkid
Tell us about your 1st tourney experience(if you remember), then winning your 1st tournament, any other memorable experiences and the present.
NL:Well my first tourney was that Nintendo World tourney. Not even sure that counts cause it was a FFA lol. I consider my first one the MLG NY Playoffs. When i got there my glasses broke so i was playin half blind. Got 4th in amateur teams and im not sure about singles. i got far i think without knowing about L Cancel or any of the advanced play lol

Winning my first tourney not sure counts cause i split with Bum or a crew member. I've gotten first alot without splitting way after though.

Memorable experiences i would say is my first OoS tourney which was Pound 3 which was amazing and I guess beating M2K twice lol

Presently I'm placing consistently and just trying to earn money for plane tickets lol
Any future goals inside/outside the smash community?
NL: Future goal inside smash is to make a semi-living from it. Outside of smash I'm going for career to be a Computer Technician.

Trela
What is your favorite type of music? You seem to like different kinds xD
NL: My major kind of music is Electronica (Techno, Drum n Bass, Hardcore, etc), and I listen to classical. I love string instruments like violins and pianos. I also am a rock music fan, usually power metal and such. Everyone who seen my videos knows what kinda rock i like lol.

Sai90
How do you become a pro?
NL: Thats so.....hard to say lol. I think its just a mindset u should have while playing. Knowing all aspects of the match, ur character and its options, ur opponents character and its options, being able to adapt and pick up on playstyles and so on. If u can master all of these and be consistent i guess u can be a pro.

Yeksson
Who do you think is the most influential member within the Smash community?
NL: ME, THE RANDOM MASTER XD im just kidding. Influential......hmm..thats so hard. For brawl, M2K, Azen and DSF. For melee, Ken, Isai, Chudat, PC... theres to many XD

Zephil
what is your opinion respect to the development of brawl in other countries... specially in japan with a list completely different to ours?
NL: Japan has a different tier list because they have a different playstyle to ours. They are normally aggro except for that recent campfest lmao. Japan has found alot of techs before we did and use them in play other than here where everywhere tries to play ultimately lame and simple. I havent seen much of europes playstyle so i cant comment on that.

NL is a really cool guy, but he was definitely really hard to track down and talk to for an extended period of time >.>

Sorry it took so long guys.

Sanu

Smash Champion
Ninjalink isn't that good <_< go interview Ally

cutter

Smash Champion
Why do you want infinites (ie D3 infinites and ICs infinites) banned when there is not a single shred of evidence that the infinites break the game and are overcentralizing? What sound reasoning is there to ban these infinites? (please don't just say "they're stupid/dumb/********" because that is not a good, logical answer at all)

Biinii

Smash Apprentice
Ninjalink isn't that good <_< go interview Ally
Are you mad?

Do you think that advanced of the basic(spacing, DI, etc.) counts over the basic of the advanced(specific matchup knowledge, etc.), for general play? And for tournaments?

Noa.

Smash Master
Who do you think MK goes even with, and why? Do any characters have an advantage over him?

What are all the characters you've mained so far? Do you consider anyone to be your true main?

What are among your favorite stages? Do you believe that any banned stages should be moved to the counterpick list?

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Do u use Toon Link a lot?

Why does ur wii crash so much? lol

Who would u consider ur best character?

Do u like brawl+ more than vanillabrawl? If so, why?

How do u feel about getting thrown out of the toon link back room? XD

Albert.

Smash Master
Why do you want infinites (ie D3 infinites and ICs infinites) banned when there is not a single shred of evidence that the infinites break the game and are overcentralizing? What sound reasoning is there to ban these infinites? (please don't just say "they're stupid/dumb/********" because that is not a good, logical answer at all)

What a push poll-like way of phrasing that!

stop attacking the man LOL

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If it wasn't already obvious that you really enjoyed playing Diddy Kong, who would you say is the next most fun/best character to play as for you?

I already asked you this one in the Xat but I figure some other people would be interested in the answer:

Is there any character you hope you don't get from the randomization button? If so why?

Do you feel that any character is underrepresented in-tourney or that a character hasn't reached full potential by his/her/its actual mainers?

Any particular reason that you don't seem to stick to one character for a long time?

If you were chosen and paid to advance one character's metagame via finding new ATs or taking that character far in-tournament (or both), who would that be? (Please don't say Diddy, you already seemed to persuade people of his potential :p)

I think that's all I have to share. I/other people look forward to your answers NL!

Prawn

Smash Master
How much wood could a ninjalink chuck if a ninjalink could chuck wood?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Just how many characters can you use? O_o

How many of them do you consider good enough to use in tournaments?

Ike moar pls? XD

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
What do you think of the balancing job of the backroom in Brawl+? It seems to be going through some drama atm.

What do you think of:
Lucario up B buff
Falco's laser nerf
Falco's crazy shine
Ivysaur Up B Buff/Razor Leaf Buff
Ness UpB Buff
And probably your favorite, Zelda's Side B buff

What characters still seem op and up to you?

Terry Bogard Diddy, or Ninja Link Diddy?

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Does it bother you when people say you're a Diddy main?

What's the reasoning behind your name?

How do you feel about ADHD?

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
There are videos of you on YouTube playing Brawl+, may it be casual or tournament matches. What do you think of Brawl+? Do you enjoy playing it? What do you think should be done to make it better?

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
which lowtier character do u think has the most potential to move up?

why not choose one main and focus on getting better with him/her?

what are your views on Diddy+?

M.K

Level 55
How does your ability to effectively use a wide range of characters affect the perception of different characters as "threats". For example, some Dedede mains might fear Falco players, but since you can use a lot of different characters, do those types of "fears" go away?

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
1. It's well known that you play a variety of characters. What makes you different, that you can use many characters and still beat people who exclusively 1 or 2 characters? Basically, how do you practice and how did you get better?

2. Which characters do you think are the most up and coming? And which characters do you see falling the most from their current status?

Cyan_

Smash Lord
Who is your favorite player and why?

Do you play Smash64?

PhatyCHONG

Smash Apprentice
Why do you prefer not showing some videos of your matches to the public even if you win them?
Such as making them private.

Top Bottom