• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If Shantae got into Smash Bros. and she got white washed how would you all react?
Oh, good lord. NO. Personally, to me, one of the things that make her so unique to me is the dark tan skin. Overall, IMO, it really makes her stand out.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg
I don't really like the dancer/princess outfit (I don't find it as charming as Shantae's normal attire), but this is adorable.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I'd be disappointed, but not too mad, and not for PC reasons either. Being that Shantae pretty much comes from Arabian Nights-styled stuff, it'd be natural for her skin to be how it is. Just having it pale-white in this case would be kinda dumb.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I'd be disappointed, but not too mad, and not for PC reasons either. Being that Shantae pretty much comes from Arabian Nights-styled stuff, it'd be natural for her skin to be how it is. Just having it pale-white in this case would be kinda dumb.
Shantae with white/pale skin also looks a bit... I dunno how to put it...
image.jpg

offputting?

I'm trying to think of a better word or description, but I can't.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Played more of Monster World IV. While not a clone game, I can see why people call this game the spiritual predecessor to Shantae.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Realizing whitewashed meant something else, and meant this.

I highly doubt she'd look like this because it was a glitch with the lighting engine, and every other art of her shows her like she always was, like this;

So, if it happened...eh, like I said before, the model she'd get would be why I would care for this to happen, but I could always fix the skin tone if it's like that. But I doubt it would happen if she made it in.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Realizing whitewashed meant something else, and meant this.

I highly doubt she'd look like this because it was a glitch with the lighting engine, and every other art of her shows her like she always was, like this;

So, if it happened...eh, like I said before, the model she'd get would be why I would care for this to happen, but I could always fix the skin tone if it's like that. But I doubt it would happen if she made it in.
It wasn't a lighting engine glitch. The Kickstater began showing her in ghost-white skin and there was a major fan out roar to darken her skin.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
It wasn't a lighting engine glitch. The Kickstater began showing her in ghost-white skin and there was a major fan out roar to darken her skin.
I thought it was said that was caused the lighting of her skin complexion.

Either way, it won't be like that in Smash, that's the point we are making.

Veggi

Smash Champion
mainly sarcasm in the style of View attachment 77033

sorry if i seemed rude
That's okay. I was just checking.

Personally, I would be steamed. I think that underrepresentation does a lot to hurt the self-esteem of PoC individuals and to turn Shantae white would be reinforce the idea that there is something wrong having dark skin and also would miss an opportunity that would have been really great for increasing diversity.

Plus the darker skin is just a great design choice for both her outfit and the setting.

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Rottytops.png
Just got done with this little doodle. Haven't drawn in a week so I whipped up this in 30 minutes for practice.

Misfortunedarkrai

Smash Cadet
So, I'm not sure if this was asked already but, who is your favorite character from any of the Shantae games?
Mine would of course be the lovable zombie girl herself, rottytops!

Also I just love this image seeing that ms.fortune is one of my two skullgirls mains (the other is filia)

Veggi

Smash Champion
I like pretty much all them, but Bolo and Sky/Wrench are probably my two/three favorites.

I also really like the parallels between Rotty's pitched play style for Half-Genie Hero and Ms. Fortune, but my favorite is Cerebella.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Shantae is my favorite with Rottytops being right behind her. Luckily she and her bros redeemed themselves in Pirate's Curse, cause I was a bit disappointed with Rotty in particular at the end of Risky's Revenge.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
I like pretty much all them, but Bolo and Sky/Wrench are probably my two/three favorites.

I also really like the parallels between Rotty's pitched play style for Half-Genie Hero and Ms. Fortune, but my favorite is Cerebella.
Rottytops has been my favorite ever since I fell in love with her idle animation (yes, that's the only reason) back when I played GBC Shantae years back.

Although now that the games are actually getting story and the characters are getting more... well... character... Squid Baron, Bolo, and Shantae herself are coming up on Rottytops's first place lead for me quick. I'll have to see when Half-Genie Hero launches.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Shantae without her tan is like Mario and Luigi without their mostaches: Doesn't look or feel right
image.jpg
sorry

I thought it was said that was caused the lighting of her skin complexion.

Either way, it won't be like that in Smash, that's the point we are making.
Matt did say in the Sup Holmes review that it was for testing, and never intended to be used in the final game. If you look at the early art, the proportions were off, compared to the final one. He wasn't very proud of this sudden accidental change himself.

It's a basic coloring mistake that they were going to fix but didn't realize how much of an uproar it would bring. It's a lot like Sonic randomly having blue arms back in the day.
image.jpg

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Speaking of Shantae's art, who's up for some?
image.jpg

@JohnComman on Instagram and Twitter (PLEASE FOLLOW HIM)

image.jpg

From @fumetsusozo of twitter

image.jpg

@akaikura on twitter (Japan yay)

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
sorry

Matt did say in the Sup Holmes review that it was for testing, and never intended to be used in the final game. If you look at the early art, the proportions were off, compared to the final one. He wasn't very proud of this sudden accidental change himself.

It's a basic coloring mistake that they were going to fix but didn't realize how much of an uproar it would bring. It's a lot like Sonic randomly having blue arms back in the day.View attachment 77080
Ya know the Bros. actually look good without their moustaches and yeah I recall the whole skin due to lighting but still

I hope IF Shantae DOES make it in she still has her tan or accurate tan to fit since IF she DOES make it she will be in 3D and in HD which I'm hoping happens since the colors in Smash Wii U are so powerful and strong

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm wondering something.

If they won't get in as DLC for this iteration of Smash, do you think Shantae and/or Shovel Knight would become 5mash's :4megaman: ?

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
I'm wondering something.

If they won't get in as DLC for this iteration of Smash, do you think Shantae and/or Shovel Knight would become 5mash's :4megaman: ?
Most likely I mean it might a while til Smash 5 so that will give enough time for Sakurai to play some of the Shantae series as well Shovel Knight and any sequels it could get during the time...

But let's see what plays out for Sm4sh first and I hope we get official word soon

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm wondering something.

I think it really depends on how they'll maintain their popularity and how their games sell (and possibly expand). For Shantae things are looking good in the future with Half-Genie Hero and the Japanese release of Pirate's Curse (which will hopefully boost her popularity there) so I doubt the hype will end here even if she doesn't make it in as DLC. Same thing for Shovel Knight really with the physical release + amiibo + Plague of Shadows and other expansions, so yeah, I think both of them could be major contenders for a future Smash game. And all those examples are within the near future, who knows where either franchise is in a year or two.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Rogersbase, Stealth, and Zef are really digging for attention, claiming that they apparently know the new character. :T

Also, saying "If the new character were Shantae, Shovel Knight, or Wolf, I would've hung myself by now" makes you look like a freaking child, even if you didn't mean it, Stealth.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Rogersbase, Stealth, and Zef are really digging for attention, claiming that they apparently know the new character. :T

Also, saying "If the new character were Shantae, Shovel Knight, or Wolf, I would've hung myself by now" makes you look like a freaking child, even if you didn't mean it, Stealth.
Yeah, i find it hard to believe that any of those guys know any of the characters.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Guys, it's another text-only "leak" with the main source of information being Stealth__, not RogersBase. He seems to just be loosely playing along (aside from his claiming he has Nintendo news he can't talk about; go figure).

I'll save myself the pain and just quote my post from the sticky:
Do not pay attention to Stealth__.

The likeliest scenario here is that people are being played.

Stealth, seemingly, is known to the GameFAQs board as RPGrinder, and he's a well-known troll. In fact his account was finally suspended to Purgatory level. Whatever "credibility" he possibly has is the result of him riding off of more well-known names, specifically RogersBase.

If you're going to take anything anyone's saying into consideration, it should be Roger. And even then I'm not believing anything without any official news or data coming to light first. For that matter, I'm not aware of what RogersBase has done to give him credibility, so I can't speak on that matter.

This is no different from Tamaki, a guy known for his association with a group that was able to obtain gaming information unavailable to the public, claiming that Shovel Knight might have made it into Smash using vague language and relying on backpedaling to ensure people couldn't point fingers at him if it turned out he was wrong.

At least with Tamaki, he claimed to have sources he couldn't divulge. Mind you, that doesn't do much for his character.
At the time of this writing I didn't care to look into him, but I learned that Roger was an NoA game tester at one point or something. So people think he still has sources.

Mind you, the information's not even false, per se. And that's the thing, it's obvious what they're doing: They're spreading incredibly vague things to make it look like they know something; literally anyone can predict "this character was likely to get in" and "it'll cause social media to blow up", etc.

Combine this with the timing: The ballot just recently closed.

tl;dr: The whole thing is basically a self-fulfilling prophecy that people are buying into out of desperation from months of silence from Sakurai/Nintendo.

Knowing him too well from his exploits on GameFAQs, I really want to see this guy reported as a danger to himself and others, but a part of me is cynical enough to believe that the Twitter mods are so inept that they wouldn't even do anything.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
It's just a special sale: Own/buy Runbow and get discount off games that have characters who appear in Runbow.

No half-genies in sight.
Breaking news: Wayforward keeps getting the short end of the stick, despite having a long Nintendo-based legacy

I will still have a chip on my shoulder about Unity-Chan being in the game

How low do the prices go for the sale?

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Meanwhile Shovel Knight gets a polo
image.jpg
it's cool but... Somewhat underwhelming. Strike the earth with class, I suppose.

I wish Wayforward could be a little more free with Shantae, like how Yacht Club is with Shovel Knight.

There may be a reason holding WF back to do that, but...

Top Bottom