• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I seen this happen myself , my brother is one of these as* holes . ever since we were little he would never play a game that had a female lead. Wth is with people hating female lead? I don't see any problem in this.
As a male gamer, I honestly prefer the female characters. Typically they're more appealing to the eye and in many cases have better personalities(I dare anyone to say BroShep had better voice acting than FemShep!). In almost any "create-a-character" scenario, I usually start with a female option. I honestly found out about Shantae fairly recently and I can't remember the exact way I did, though I'm fairly sure it had to do with 1/2 Genie Hero's Kickstarter, which I supported upon finding out more about the character.

I voted for Shantae. I also voted for Krystal and the Inklings, but I heard somewhere it's only your most recent vote that counts in the Smash Ballot, which for me, would be Shantae. She's a quirky, fun character with three games worth of reference to pull movesets and costumes from. She seems to have a great deal of support from fans and from WayForward themselves. I will say that I find myself searching for news or leaks, hoping someone will find something about her in Smash! So definitely put me down as a Shantae supporter!

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
>People saying that Shantae has no fans in Japan

>Japanese-made posts appear on the Pirate's Curse Miiverse community

We may be getting closer to winning, guys.
Oh man, if Shantae becomes even moderately popular in Japan before the end of the ballot, then we've got this in the bag. If only we had a way to get the attention of more Japanese voters...

Barring that, we just have to rely on Japanese Shantae fans to be as dedicated to spreading the word as we have been so far. It would be nice if we could communicate with them somehow. I am confident that we can win the ballot without a lot of support in Japan, but having substantial Japanese support would be a tremendous advantage for us.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

Here's an interview with the new Runbow game. What's up is that someone that posted this say's apparently Wayforward hasn't be approached to add Shantae in the game, which in hand is another jab at her being "decomformed"

Either way, this is just weird on principles where she has so much support before but it seems like she's just being ignored as of late and everyone is just using that to bash her even more.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

I don't think Nintendo will approach third parties until after the ballot closes, there's no point to doing that. As for her being "deconfirmed", we'll have to wait and see.

Personally, I think it's a bit telling that they had Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero at PAX at the Nindie booth running on Wii U, but not anywhere else to the best of my knowledge. WayForward really seems to be looking to Nintendo first over everything else.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192

Here's an interview with the new Runbow game. What's up is that someone that posted this say's apparently Wayforward hasn't be approached to add Shantae in the game, which in hand is another jab at her being "decomformed"

Either way, this is just weird on principles where she has so much support before but it seems like she's just being ignored as of late and everyone is just using that to bash her even more.
There isn't so much as a single jab at her being deconfirmed. Deconfirmed means confirmation that she's not coming. There has been no hint whatsoever either way. Also, who is this poster that claims WayForward was never approached about having her added to the game? In any case, didn't 13AM state that they had wanted Shantae in the game, and yet never stated that WayForward had turned them down? Whether WF was approached or not, that seems kind of fishy. Nintendo is definitely aware of her significance, so if they didn't want her in Runbow, it does suggest they are at least considering her for something else.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Huh. It used the tweaked Shantae Smashified I fiddled with a couple of months back... cool XD
That's your work? Very nice. It looks a lot better than the original, and the original already looked pretty damn good.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion

>Wayforward wasn't approached

Wow, that was a massive blow to the gut for me... Wayforward loves you too, Nintendo. |:/

Please, please, please let this mean that Nintendo has something bigger planned...

It really isn't fair. Wayforward works so hard, and for so long... Yet they usually get the short end of the stick.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
There isn't so much as a single jab at her being deconfirmed. Deconfirmed means confirmation that she's not coming. There has been no hint whatsoever either way. Also, who is this poster that claims WayForward was never approached about having her added to the game? In any case, didn't 13AM state that they had wanted Shantae in the game, and yet never stated that WayForward had turned them down? Whether WF was approached or not, that seems kind of fishy. Nintendo is definitely aware of her significance, so if they didn't want her in Runbow, it does suggest they are at least considering her for something else.
Geez, I know what Decomfirmation meant. I misinterprated this person's post;

Nintendo helped Runbow devs get in touch with other indie devs for guest spots... yet no Wayforward. #RIPShantae

(related note: I kinda think Patty Wagon from Might Switch Force would be the better Wayforward rep for this game,)
I was tired and just jabbed at this post about the "bashing/Decomfirmation/etc" .Sorry.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
That's your work? Very nice. It looks a lot better than the original, and the original already looked pretty damn good.
Yep yep! Let me fetch it, since it may be difficult to see all the differences from that smaller image of it in that box XD.. It's also been quite a long time since that was made, so I figure some may actually want to see that.

First, the original, made by the real Smashified crew

Now, the tweak:

Changes:

1. The over all saturation of her clothing, decorations, and of her hair was bumped up a notch, as I felt it looked slightly desaturated.

2. I added some bevel to the clothing, and various body parts to make it look more 3D

3. I darkened her skin a bit, as it looked a little too light XD

4. One of the most notable changes, would definitely be the smile, which was transplanted, and altered/tweaked from this old, unofficial smashified of her:

So there you have it. That's how that tweak came into being. lol

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I won't lie guys. When I first seen Shantae, not knowing who she was or what games she had, I thought she was a Zelda character because of the pointed ears. Specifically I thought she was one of those desert people, the Gerudo

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I won't lie guys. When I first seen Shantae, not knowing who she was or what games she had, I thought she was a Zelda character because of the pointed ears. Specifically I thought she was one of those desert people, the Gerudo
I cannot unsee Shantae in a Gerudo outfit.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
It's not that different, just white instead of red. The bad part is, you have to make her nose a giant triangle on the front of her face lol
Also didn't the Gerudo have rounded ears unlike Hylians?

So I guess Shantae would be a Hylian/Gerudo hybrid then?

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
That depends if Shovel Knight is in the game.

I honestly can't see both Shovel Knight AND Shantae in the game. That would feel like too much indie favoritism. If Shovel Knight misses his chance in Smash then Shantae's chances increase greatly in my eyes.

Edit: While yes, they could exist at the same time, there's a very strong Shovel Knight bandwagon going on, so he might win out for promotional reasons, even if Shantae is much closer to Nintendo as a brand with more games exclusive to their systems and can be played by a Japanese audience.

One of many reasons I'm not so fond of Shovel Knight right now, even if I wish his fans the best of luck

Last edited:

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
Is there a way we can spread the Shantae love over to Japan? We have one month left and at this point, that's the only thing holding her back. She's popular everywhere except there. So if we can find a way to get a reasonable fan base there, then we're pretty much set to go.

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice

I honestly can't see both Shovel Knight AND Shantae in the game. That would feel like too much indie favoritism. If Shovel Knight misses his chance in Smash then Shantae's chances increase greatly in my eyes.

Edit: While yes, they could exist at the same time, there's a very strong Shovel Knight bandwagon going on, so he might win out for promotional reasons, even if Shantae is much closer to Nintendo as a brand with more games exclusive to their systems and can be played by a Japanese audience.

One of many reasons I'm not so fond of Shovel Knight right now, even if I wish his fans the best of luck
This is why I feel Nintendo is betraying Wayforward, especially for what they've done for 25 years (At least how long Wayforward has been around).

Shantae has been around with Nintendo for 13 years, and yet they're treating Shovel Knight like he's the "God of Indie's" when he's only been around for a whole year. Where's the love for Shantae, Nintendo? :(

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Is there a way we can spread the Shantae love over to Japan? We have one month left and at this point, that's the only thing holding her back. She's popular everywhere except there. So if we can find a way to get a reasonable fan base there, then we're pretty much set to go.
If those Miiverse posts I showed this morning are anything to go by, I say she's doing pretty well as it is.

Like I said, if she gets in, and/or her games get localized, she'll get a ton of love, and Nintendo will think they've made a good choice.

and then Rottytops becomes the most popular of the cast.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Why IS Shovel Knight getting this much support? He has ONE game. One. And it certainly didn't start on Nintendo even if it blatantly uses classic Nintendo games as a starting point. But then again, I can't understand the K. Rool crowd either, can't stand that character. But what is it that makes people think he's getting in? Honestly, if they were going to put him in, announcing him at the same time as his amiibo would've been perfect. I know that's not a deconfirmation, but it would've made more sense.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Why IS Shovel Knight getting this much support? He has ONE game. One. And it certainly didn't start on Nintendo even if it blatantly uses classic Nintendo games as a starting point. But then again, I can't understand the K. Rool crowd either, can't stand that character. But what is it that makes people think he's getting in? Honestly, if they were going to put him in, announcing him at the same time as his amiibo would've been perfect. I know that's not a deconfirmation, but it would've made more sense.
Hey now.

I'm a Kutthroat.

King K. Rool is my top wanted character with Shantae in second. Don't dis the King of Krocs. At least K. Rool has been the major antagonist of one of Nintendo's best selling IPs that isn't Mario, Pokemon, or Zelda. The DKC series is incredibly popular in Japan despite being British born. He's the missing Trouble King. But I'm not going to go further with K. Rool advertisement in the Shantae thread.

Shovel Knight, on the other hand, has only had one multi-platform game. It's very popular with prominent Youtube personalities which rockets a game to fame quicker than anything else you could imagine. Game Grumps even did the promotional video for the SK Amiibo. Get prominent Let's Players to play your game and you have instant, free publicity. That is one possible reason SK gained such a huge following. Yacht Club Games has been working on their amiibo for over a year so this is entirely unrelated to the ballot. Plus there is a leak from a guy named Tamaki, which Neo Zero and PushDustIn (the two leading authorities on leaks and Smash news on Smashboards) trust, that says on good authority that Shovel Knight is coming to Smash.

At first they were sure he would be revealed at PAX but his amiibo came and no dice, the amiibo is confirmed to have no Smash functionality. Tamaki backpeddled and stated that Shovel Knight can be released anywhere within 1-2 months, so basically after the Ballot closes, which is a long time before he can be proven wrong.

TLDR combine first third-party amiibo with new game expansion with a Smash DLC leak (one that has people who matter saying it might be legitimate) and you get a Shovel Knight hype train that has no breaks.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I can't understand the K. Rool crowd either, can't stand that character. But what is it that makes people think he's getting in? Honestly, if they were going to put him in, announcing him at the same time as his amiibo would've been perfect. I know that's not a deconfirmation, but it would've made more sense.
You don't diss the King around here.

Last edited:

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
Hey now.

I'm a Kutthroat.

King K. Rool is my top wanted character with Shantae in second. Don't dis the King of Krocs. At least K. Rool has been the major antagonist of one of Nintendo's best selling IPs that isn't Mario, Pokemon, or Zelda. The DKC series is incredibly popular in Japan despite being British born. He's the missing Trouble King. But I'm not going to go further with K. Rool advertisement in the Shantae thread.

Shovel Knight, on the other hand, has only had one multi-platform game. It's very popular with prominent Youtube personalities which rockets a game to fame quicker than anything else you could imagine. Game Grumps even did the promotional video for the SK Amiibo. Get prominent Let's Players to play your game and you have instant, free publicity. That is one possible reason SK gained such a huge following. Yacht Club Games has been working on their amiibo for over a year so this is entirely unrelated to the ballot. Plus there is a leak from a guy named Tamaki, which Neo Zero and PushDustIn (the two leading authorities on leaks and Smash news on Smashboards) trust, that says on good authority that Shovel Knight is coming to Smash.

At first they were sure he would be revealed at PAX but his amiibo came and no dice, the amiibo is confirmed to have no Smash functionality. Tamaki backpeddled and stated that Shovel Knight can be released anywhere within 1-2 months, so basically after the Ballot closes, which is a long time before he can be proven wrong.
It's amazing how essentially one little thing can shift the tide so dramatically.
(Given the sudden re-awakening of Shovel Knight's campaign and all that.)

Last edited:

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
This is why I feel Nintendo is betraying Wayforward, especially for what they've done for 25 years (At least how long Wayforward has been around).

Shantae has been around with Nintendo for 13 years, and yet they're treating Shovel Knight like he's the "God of Indie's" when he's only been around for a whole year. Where's the love for Shantae, Nintendo? :(
Shovel Knight's popularity came out of nowhere really. Seriously, that guy is on a whooooole bunch of YouTubers Top most wanted list for the Smash Ballot.

He could very well become confirmed in a few days.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Hey now.

I'm a Kutthroat.

TLDR combine first third-party amiibo with new game expansion with a Smash DLC leak (one that has people who matter saying it might be legitimate) and you get a Shovel Knight hype train that has no breaks.
Just to be clear, Tamaki didn't do any back peddling with this one. The amiibo leak was always separate from his leak, and not once did he claim that SK would be revealed at PAX, just that he would be revealed between now and October.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Make a Shantae 4 Smash video on niconico? :awesome:

Shadowknight1

You don't diss the King around here.
Sorry. It's a personal preference. I just don't like the design or the character, nor do I feel he's relevant as a villain since he hasn't been a primary DK antagonist in a while. That being said, he IS pretty much the last main villain since Ridley is harshly deconfirmed. I just personally don't want him to get in over other characters that I like more.

Also, I would like to note that if we can't get Shantae...maybe we could get a Mii Fighter costume of her? I know it's not ideal, but if we can do the Inklings that way...

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Wayforward constantly has awful luck... But it may turn around.

Wayforward made a kickstarter campaign for Half-Genie Hero, and then Inafune came along and showed Mighty No. 9, which got more support and hype.

But now, which one actually looks better? The game with less than 900,000$ dollars from this tiny company that makes liscensed stuff, or the one that has reached 4 Million from former Capcom devs?

Shantae got some new hype, but and then Shovel Knight returned with his new toy. Now Shantae is back in the corner again.

But what if another curveball came around? What if the Shovel Knight Amiibo isn't all that it's cracked up to be, or Nintendo themselves suddenly decides to promote Shantae more?

Sorry. It's a personal preference. I just don't like the design or the character, nor do I feel he's relevant as a villain since he hasn't been a primary DK antagonist in a while. That being said, he IS pretty much the last main villain since Ridley is harshly deconfirmed. I just personally don't want him to get in over other characters that I like more.

Also, I would like to note that if we can't get Shantae...maybe we could get a Mii Fighter costume of her? I know it's not ideal, but if we can do the Inklings that way...
You didn't need to apologize, I was just messing around.
Make a Shantae 4 Smash video on niconico? :awesome:
I was thinking of that, actually...

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

I think the problem is that people gravitate towards the new and shiny, and not too many people have seen what Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero has to offer.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I think the problem is that people gravitate towards the new and shiny, and not too many people have seen what Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero has to offer.
As I mentioned a page or so ago, Shantae is definitely in that odd position. She's not fully Nintendo... yet at the same time, she doesn't feel fully indie. She's stuck straddling the fence basically.

On one side of the fence, she has her history with Nintendo, and is often very loyal to them.. (With her games releasing for Nintendo consoles FIRST for crying out loud.. Plus theres the fact she originated on the Gameboy color.) Due to this, you have one half that consider her a Nintendo lost all-star... (and in a way, she really is.)

Then on the other side, due to being developed by a small independent company, she is often considered an indie.. or at least, picked up the term when she resurfaced in 2010. On this side, the fact that her roots rest with Nintendo is non-existent, and everyone just sees her as yet another misfit in the indie world, trying to get big, and get noticed...

On the Nintendo side of the fence, despite her loyalty, she has often proved to be ignored by Nintendo, despite being a big flagship in their new "Nindie" force.

On the indie side, she gets stuck in the shadow of more recent, and more up front indies... like Shovel Knight for example.

All in all, she's in this weird position. One that was caused by her having her debut in the wrong place, at the wrong time... Really, what is Shantae? A lost Nintendo cult classic? A struggling/rising indie star?... As much as we would like to see her get big in both paths, I have a feeling she won't find her fame in both. They'll have to choose a side eventually... I just hope it's the right side.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Lady Luck may smile upon Wayforward whenHalf-Genie Hero is released, and people will come running to Shantae. For a game with a budget that isn't even a million dollars, it has a metric ton of content that we know of. There may be even more announced!

3 stories to play through as Shantae, with 3 more alterations to play with!

Sky, Bolo, and Rottytops are playable with their own stories!

A what-if scenario where you play Risky Boots, and taking down Shantae? That's amazing! Games usually have you be the antihero or have some dumb morality system, but you're the bad guy from the get-go!

8 Characters, 7 stories.

Heck, there may be a ton more content we don't even know about, like a Battle Mode!

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

If she get's in as a Mii fighter, everyone will bash her more than ever, and it's a personal slap in the face to me to make any 3rd party character as a Mii fighter costume if they haven't had any content appeared as a standard playable character first. If Rayman wasn't a trophy in Smash and out of the blue, Ubisoft teamed up with Nintendo just to give us a Rayman Mii fighter, every fan of Rayman would get pissed that they wasted time to make a Mii fighter than a actual playable Rayman in Smash. That's how I feel about Shantae, and I rather wait til Smash 5 then see a damn doll wear her clothes.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

If she get's in as a Mii fighter, everyone will bash her more than ever, and it's a personal slap in the face to me to make any 3rd party character as a Mii fighter costume if they haven't had any content appeared as a standard playable character first. If Rayman wasn't a trophy in Smash and out of the blue, Ubisoft teamed up with Nintendo just to give us a Rayman Mii fighter, every fan of Rayman would get pissed that they wasted time to make a Mii fighter than a actual playable Rayman in Smash. That's how I feel about Shantae, and I rather wait til Smash 5 then see a damn doll wear her clothes.
See, I'd rather have a Mii Ffighter than nothing. Mainly cause I already made a Mii of her, it just looks crappy cause there are no costumes anything like her lol. I do see where you're coming from though.

Also, Rayman as a Mii Fighter? I'm not even a fan and I'd hate that. He'd have arms and legs...it'd be weird.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
See, I'd rather have a Mii Ffighter than nothing. Mainly cause I already made a Mii of her, it just looks crappy cause there are no costumes anything like her lol. I do see where you're coming from though.

Also, Rayman as a Mii Fighter? I'm not even a fan and I'd hate that. He'd have arms and legs...it'd be weird.
I understand, and I should have been less aggressive about that, if she herself got in as a Smash character and came with a Mii costume, that would be just fine, perfect even. I just have a personal opinion that unless the company has content in the base game as playable content (Pacman = Lloyd Mii Outfit, Megaman = Megaman X/Zero Outfit) then I wouldn't see it like a waste of time if they just got another 3rd party company a part of Smash just to have their mascot just being represented as something entirely not the actual character themselves. That's just me, but I understand how you feel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom