• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Graveyard: Disconfirmed Character Thread (SAKURAAAAAAAAAI!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherenando

Smash Apprentice
Snake

Series: Metal Gear Solid
First Game: Metal Gear (MSX)
Disconfirmation: 9/11/14
Role: Forgotten Hero

It has been a long and arduous road for the hero known as solid snake. Once at the forefront of third party characters for smash bros, he opened the door and set the standard for everyone that came after him. Myself and many will never forget the sheer surprise that was his reveal at E3 all those years ago, we were greeted with a "showtime!" and we knew we were in for a treat. For me personally I was familiar with the mgs series, and id played a number of them over my lifetime, but it wasnt till i saw him in brawl that i went back to it. And i am ever grateful for it because since then its become one of my favorite video game series ever. He is the essence of what smash bros does best, we are introduced to new series and new experiences with all these characters which is why what snake brought was just as integral to the series as any other.

Some say he doesnt fit, but i cant agree, and even in that sense he fits more then any since his juxtaposition makes him just as diverse as the rest of these characters. For months we heard this and much more thrown at snake, everything from "hes not nintendo enough" to "kojima did nintendo no favors" and everything in between was hurled at our hero. But we pursisted, and it didnt put a damper to the fans of snake and their patriotism towards the hero. Sure with each passing month things became harder and harder, but the fight raged on and we kept our cool. There were highs and lows like any speculation, a voice actor supposedly letting it slip he voiced raiden in smash bros was a glimmer of hope. But soon after our dreams were dashed as he was mistaken in his claim, and we were back at square one. Even a direct question from kojima was vague, but it was just enough so that we could possibly see it in a good light, but that too was also another lead that led nowhere. I can say the best that came out of speculation for this game was all the fans of snake and how we have banded together and managed to stave off those who didnt care for the character, while being able to discuss everything we enjoyed abut him.

From codecs to his moveset snake had it all, as the only trap character in the game his style will leave a massive void. His codecs with the colonel and the others were a highlight and treat to behold in brawl, it was superb to see snake trying to deal with forces unlike he had ever seen. But even outside of smash bros snake has taught me more then i could ever imagine. MGS as a series has some somber tones and moral messages, snake as he lived had to deal with hardship and pain throughout it. Hell ill go as far as to say id strive to be as good a man as he is portrayed to be, he fought for what he believed in, and everyone else should as well. Its been hard to see him fall in the eyes of his fans, while the bias against him was strong from the nintendo purists. But among the bad there will always be a ray of light, and over the course of his disconfirmation you can see those that did care for him and the loss of him come to the surface. As far as im concerned smash bros wiiu and any after will never have reached its full potential until snake has made a return. He represented so much more then just a third party, it was bridging the gaps between fandoms and joining us all as one with all the characters we know and love. And thats the most important thing a character can do, bring us togetherI could go on for days, but i feel as though everything that has and could be said is within the snake thread. And even then, i still cant put it perfectly into words how i feel about this whole situation and how much i enjoy snake as a character and an addition to the smash bros series.

Some characters will at least still get acknowledged in this game, but snake like most of the greatest heroes in history wont get a medal, trophy, or recognition. But in a way, thats probably how he would have wanted it, he lives on in other ways, heroes get remembered, but legends never die (like the sandlot taught us). As it has ended in the way we most feared, we still wont rest, if DLC is possible then we will pick up the mantle for snake once more. Till then

Life is a fragile thing, but we will always have the brawl to end them all...

So long old friend, you may be gone, but you live on in our hearts and in every MGS game hereafter.

"Find something to believe in, and find it for yourself. When you do, pass it on to the future." - Solid Snake

WHY?! SNAKE WHY?! YOU WERE SUCH A GREAT CHARACTER

[collapse=Im going to miss you Snake :(]

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
So I guess everyone who was a Trophy is deconfirmed still in the running right?

The only truely deconfirmed characters are Ridley and Chrom really.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mewtwo is a zombie!

So I guess everyone who was a Trophy is deconfirmed right?

The only truely deconfirmed characters are Ridley and Chrom really.
If a character is a trophy, I think they are still in the running. Mewtwo had a trophy in Smash 3DS and now he is a DLC character.

In terms of actually disconfirmed characters, it's safe to say that Poke Ball Pokemon and Assist Trophies are completely done (because it would take some work to remove their data and convert them to playable characters). Chrom and Ridley are officially done for sure and I doubt these two will be DLC.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Mewtwo is a zombie!

If a character is a trophy, I think they are still in the running. Mewtwo had a trophy in Smash 3DS and now he is a DLC character.

In terms of actually disconfirmed characters, it's safe to say that Poke Ball Pokemon and Assist Trophies are completely done (because it would take some work to remove their data and convert them to playable characters). Chrom and Ridley are officially done for sure and I doubt these two will be DLC.
Sorry I meant the exact opposite what I said.

I meant to say along the lines of, "I guess now that everyone who has a trophy is de-deconfirmed. Or still in the running."

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Sorry I meant the exact opposite what I said.

I meant to say along the lines of, "I guess now that everyone who has a trophy is de-deconfirmed. Or still in the running."
Then is there even a point to this thread anymore?

Unless Sakurai comes out and explicitly states why someone is impossible was turned down (which thus far, even Ridley doesn't have the honor of sharing the same treatment ala Chrom or Ice Climbers).

The announcement literally showed Sakurai's not above digging up graves.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As IsmaR stated, this thread has really served its purpose. Barring a miracle on ice in the case of Nana and Popo, a character dying doesn't matter. Unless it's Chrom apparently. Stupid Fire Emblem permadeath.

As such, I'll lock this. It's fulfilled its purpose and now has a zombie Mewtwo roaming about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom