• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Graveyard: Disconfirmed Character Thread (SAKURAAAAAAAAAI!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Yeah, honestly though I mostly just mentioned it here because it appears to be absent from here while it is on the information thread. And if Gordos have obituaries here...
Did you know Cryogonal is the only genderless Pokemon besides Mew to be able to be taught Attract?

It obviously fights in Smash Run in an attempt to take its frustration out on others for its inability to love.

That said, this is canon to me. Someone has to include this in its obituary.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
I've updated the Obituary Pending list with dates I've collected from posts that first mention someone disconfirmed in this thread and several from around the internet.

Obituary Pending
ASSIST TROPHIES
April 8 2014 - Dr. Wright
April 8 2014 - Lyn
June 10 2014 - Shadow 4:36
June 11 2014 - Magnus (kid icarus)​
POKE BALL POKEMON
April 8 2014 - Chespin
April 8 2014 - Darkrai
April 8 2014 - Deoxys
April 8 2014 - Gogoat
April 8 2014 - Kyurem
April 8 2014 - Mew
April 8 2014 - Snorlax
April 8 2014 - Staryu
April 8 2014 - Zoroark
June 11 2014 - Genesect​
ITEMS AND TROPHIES
April 8 2014 - Bullet Bill
May 14 2014 - Brittany
July 14 2014 - Rayman
Cheep-Cheep​
SMASH RUN ENEMIES
April 8 2014 - Lakitu
April 8 2014 - Mimicutie
April 8 2014 - Magikoopa
April 8 2014 - Reaper
May 1 2014 - Orne
June 11 2014 - Koffing
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Paratroopa
Tiki Buzz​
MOVES
December 26 2014 - Phantom Zelda (confirmed as Zelda's move on June 10)
July 14 2014 - Chrom​
OTHERS
February 13 2014 - Doc Louis​
STAGE HAZARDS/STAGE ELEMENTS
June 2 2014 - Kamek
June 26 2014 - Nabbit​

More enemies that never had a chance . . . <- put this on bottom of others in Smash Run spoiler section.

I wasn't able to find 'Kalimba Tiki' in SmashWiki's Smash Run enemy list so I removed it for now. Maybe someone meant 'Tiki Buzz'?

EDIT: removed Petilil as her obituary is already made by @ Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 in last page.

EDIT2: Fixed some mistakes... this list is not finished, of course.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I've updated the Obituary Pending list with dates I've collected from posts that first mention someone disconfirmed in this thread and several from around the internet.

Obituary Pending
ASSIST TROPHIES​
April 8 2014 - Bullet Bill
April 8 2014 - Dr. Wright
April 8 2014 - Kyurem
April 8 2014 - Lakitu
April 8 2014 - Lyn
April 8 2014 - Reaper
Brittany
Cheep-Cheep
Magnus (kid icarus)
Shadow
POKE BALL POKEMON​
April 8 2014 - Chespin
April 8 2014 - Darkrai
April 8 2014 - Deoxys
April 8 2014 - Gogoat
April 8 2014 - Mew
April 8 2014 - Snorlax
April 8 2014 - Staryu
April 8 2014 - Zoroark
Genesect
SMASH RUN ENEMIES​
April 8 2014 - Mimicutie
April 8 2014 - Magikoopa
May 1 2014 - Orne
June 11 2014 - Petilil
June 11 2014 - Koffing
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Paratroopa
Tiki Buzz
MOVES​
December 26 2014 - Phantom Zelda (confirmed as Zelda's move on June 10)
OTHERS​
February 13 2014 - Doc Louis
STAGE HAZARDS/STAGE ELEMENTS​
June 2 2014 - Kamek
June 26 2014 - Nabbit

More enemies that never had a chance . . . <- put this on bottom of others in Smash Run spoiler section.

I wasn't able to find 'Kalimba Tiki' in SmashWiki's Smash Run enemy list so I removed it for now. Maybe someone meant 'Tiki Buzz'?
I already put up a Petilil obituary. Or does it only count when it's PMed?

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
I already put up a Petilil obituary. Or does it only count when it's PMed?
Oh. Sorry I didn't see that coming! For some reason I've already liked your post with Petilil obituary in last page and forgot about it. I only worked up until page ~39 in this thread so of course the list isn't finished :p

Also you should add the date to your Petilil obituary and add image to use as proof (Smash Wiki already got it v)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh. Sorry I didn't see that coming! For some reason I've already liked your post with Petilil obituary in last page and forgot about it. I only worked up until page ~39 in this thread so of course the list isn't finished :p

Also you should add the date to your Petilil obituary and add image to use as proof (Smash Wiki already got it v)
Done.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wait, Brittany and Cheep Cheep are Assist Trophies? :p

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Someone on this board mentioned to me that Cranky Kong was dis-confirmed because it was seen you were able to collect a trophy of him on Smash Run. Can anyone validate this?

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Someone on this board mentioned to me that Cranky Kong was dis-confirmed because it was seen you were able to collect a trophy of him on Smash Run. Can anyone validate this?
Actually, we have more solid evidence than that: He appears to be a stage element on Jungle Japes once more.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I wouldn't consider that complete dis confirmation.
Basically, I'd consider it as such for now, and if an Alfonzo situation somehow happens, I'll just say WHOOPS LOOK AT THAT and dig up Cranky. Fair enough? :p

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think the difference between a fully-modeled ape and the 8-bit incarnation of his grandfather is distinct enough. The same cannot be said for Cranky and what is clearly his silhouette in his halmark rocking chair.
>further useless nitpicking

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
There is Donkey Kong (Playable) next to Donkey Kong (Not Playable). This shows you can have a playable character be a bg character. Instead of just going okay, it is POSSIBLE for a character to be playable and in the background (Not that Cranky is playable because of other factors that have deconfirmed him) you just arbitrarily say "artsyle is so different it doesn't count"

You COULD have went with a better argument, albeit another arbitrary one, that this DK is actually young Cranky, but again, that's just fans nitpicking something that Sakurai obviously doesn't care about / didn't notice and making a rule about it. Youre, at the moment arguing against the idea that a character can be a stage element AND playable, but I bet on another day, you've argued Ridley can be a boss AND playable. (Maybe because they're different Ridley's like these Donkey Kongs are different Donkey Kongs)

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
There is Donkey Kong (Playable) next to Donkey Kong (Not Playable). This shows you can have a playable character be a bg character. Instead of just going okay, it is POSSIBLE for a character to be playable and in the background (Not that Cranky is playable because of other factors that have deconfirmed him) you just arbitrarily say "artsyle is so different it doesn't count" You COULD have went with a better argument, albeit another arbitrary one, that this DK is actually young Cranky, but again, that's just fans nitpicking something that Sakurai obviously doesn't care about / didn't notice and making a rule about it. Youre, at the moment arguing against the idea that a character can be a stage element AND playable, but I bet on another day, you've argued Ridley can be a boss AND playable. (Maybe because they're different Ridley's like these Donkey Kongs are different Donkey Kongs)
They aren't the same character, though. I even said this when I said "the 8-bit incarnation of his grandfather", so you seem quick to dismiss me as just another nitpicking fan despite me having said so little. Aside from being completely visually different in that their shape, artstyle, and appearance (I don't see a tie or a head swirl anywhere), they share only a name and nothing more.

Beyond that, were Cranky intended to be playable in the base game, why add the one stage in the entire series that has what is undoubtedly Cranky Kong to the game? Past stages have remained untouched to this point, so there's no reason to think Cranky would receive a type of Alfonzo Clause in this stage. Even then, why would they have such a minor Alfonzesque detail if they're going beyond porting the stage anyway? Why not just remove Cranky outright so as to be more economic with the use of said programming? It makes absolutely no sense from a development standpoint to have him appear as normal until he's being played as on the stage, especially when it has no effect on the gameplay when seen through the same game design perspective Alfonzo was added for.

While I have argued that Ridley can be playable and boss at the same time before, I can admit to, I do not agree with my past line of thinking from before. The insanity I've seen in the Ridley thread has made me come to terms with that. If Ridley is shown as a boss, then that's it for him. It's primarily a matter of if the shadow we saw was playable Ridley's or not. The difference being, while Ridley's shadow is ambiguous at best, Cranky's shadow is two-dimensional and leaves no foreshadowing as a playable possibility.

Again, I'd rather go with Opossum's suggestion of keeping Cranky deconfirmed and digging him up if he does turn out as playable. There's no reason to suggest otherwise when every other character to this point has been deconfirmed under the same principles.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Too early to say for sure... let's wait for 10AM Eastern Time to see...

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
“In order to make Rayman’s trophy, we asked Ubisoft to share their references,”

"to make Rayman's trophy."

Yeah, given the context of this quote, I think it's an entirely safe bet to say that Rayman is just a trophy. He specifically stated that they had asked for Ubisoft's input to make the trophy. They wouldn't need a separate model for the trophy and the actual playable character.

And while I can't say for sure....even by Sakurai's unpredictable standards, I don't think he would ever tease a character like this.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
True. But for now, I think we better go to sleep... whether it is Rayman or not, we will get one more newcomer in about 7 hours from now either way.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I...can't sleep now. I'm not particularly holding out hope for Rayman, but a surprise pic like THAT has me thinking Sakurai could have anything up his sleeve now.

domokl

Smash Lord
I say wait until the new reveal and if its not raymnan put him in the grave.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Chrom deconfirmed. Lucina challenged her fate and Robin tipped the scales, but you were not so lucky.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
I never thought I'd be saying this but..Chrom deconfirmed.

+ Gematsu deconfirmed. Though, it admittedly had a really good run

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Don't count the rest of Gematsu out yet. It's very possible that plans changed to not include Chrom later in development...I have no answers for the lack of a Shulk reveal, though...

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Poor Opossum, the graveyard care-taker and Chrom support thread owner... now has to bury his own into the dirt.
What a cruel, twisted fate.

Last edited:

iam8bit

Smash Ace
RIP Chrom. You are certainly cool, but it was about time for a non-Lord FE character.

Don't count the rest of Gematsu out yet. It's very possible that plans changed to not include Chrom later in development...I have no answers for the lack of a Shulk reveal, though...
Gematsu was always little more than a list of names. It already had problems that people overlooked, but anyone will have a hard time explaining how there's TWO Fire Emblem newcomers and the leak contained a different one.

Leak is dead, IMO.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
RIP Chrom. You are certainly cool, but it was about time for a non-Lord FE character.
Yeah, its a nice change. Still sad about Chrom not being in, this was something I could never have expected. Lucina is a lord though. By the looks of it, Lucina is a Marth clone. I was really hoping on no newcomers being clones, and killed my faith of Sakurai still having unique movesets for FE sword users. If she is just a clone I would rather have Chrom, even he was a clone too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom