• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Golden Guardian of the Formidable Oak: Plasm Wraith for DLC! (Cast your vote today!)

Do you support the Plasm Wraith?

• Yes

Votes: 81 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 43 34.7%

• Total voters

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Made a huge update to OP. Added a Stage Concept, Music, and Sakurai's criteria.

Let me know what you think!

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Made another update for the OP. This time it's smash attacks, taunts, victory/defeat poses, and palette swaps. I also added another counter argument(Though I would appreciate some more).

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
A very well put together thread. I have just one complaint with your side taunt. Since when did taunts to damage, and spawn things that wander around the screen?

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be an interesting and fun character addition, but I just don't see it happening. But this is one of the only good character choices for a 2nd Pikmin rep. Everyone says Louie, but he would just be an Olimar clone.
As far as Pikmin reps go, I support Plasm Wraith

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
A very well put together thread. I have just one complaint with your side taunt. Since when did taunts to damage, and spawn things that wander around the screen?
Glad you like my thread!

The Female Sheargrub doesn't deal damage, since it's harmless in the games. The spawning thing is somewhat new, since Snake was able to throw the box from his taunts in Brawl. I just thought it'd be kinda cool since the Plasm Wraith creates the creatures that live in the Formidable Oak.
I think it would be an interesting and fun character addition, but I just don't see it happening. But this is one of the only good character choices for a 2nd Pikmin rep. Everyone says Louie, but he would just be an Olimar clone.
Yeah, it's not very likely, but if Sakurai wants a new Pikmin character, I think it will be Louie or Plasm Wraith. I might be a bit biased, and Alph and Brittany could work(with engineering and botany/fruit attacks, respectively. Charlie doesn't have much source material aside from being a captain), but they wouldn't represent another part of the Pikmin series very well(villain/creature). Louie actually has a lot of potential to not be an Olimar clone. I think various creatures from PNF-404 could be incorporated into a summoner moveset for him, due to his affinity for bugs.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Glad you like my thread!

The Female Sheargrub doesn't deal damage, since it's harmless in the games. The spawning thing is somewhat new, since Snake was able to throw the box from his taunts in Brawl. I just thought it'd be kinda cool since the Plasm Wraith creates the creatures that live in the Formidable Oak.

Yeah, it's not very likely, but if Sakurai wants a new Pikmin character, I think it will be Louie or Plasm Wraith. I might be a bit biased, and Alph and Brittany could work(with engineering and botany/fruit attacks, respectively. Charlie doesn't have much source material aside from being a captain), but they wouldn't represent another part of the Pikmin series very well(villain/creature). Louie actually has a lot of potential to not be an Olimar clone. I think various creatures from PNF-404 could be incorporated into a summoner moveset for him, due to his affinity for bugs.
Plasm Wraith creates creatures? I didn't know, as I'm only up to the Bee Maestro boss. Also, I wouldn't really know about Louie, as I only have Pikmin 3.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Plasm Wraith creates creatures? I didn't know, as I'm only up to the Bee Maestro boss. Also, I wouldn't really know about Louie, as I only have Pikmin 3.
Yeah, every creature that is killed in the Formidable Oak dissolves into protoplasm, which would imply that the Plasm Wraith created them.

In Pikmin 2, it is mentioned that bugs are attracted to Louie. I believe it's described as them being on the same wavelength as him.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I support, I guess!

I don't ever see Plasm Wraith being playable, but I'd definitely like the idea. Smash Bros. has yet to have a morphing fighter, meaning its standard moves alone would make it unique. The elemental prisms are just the icing on the cake.

Plasm Wraith would make an amazing boss, though, gotta say.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I support, I guess!

I don't ever see Plasm Wraith being playable, but I'd definitely like the idea. Smash Bros. has yet to have a morphing fighter, meaning its standard moves alone would make it unique. The elemental prisms are just the icing on the cake.

Plasm Wraith would make an amazing boss, though, gotta say.
Thanks for your support! I've been hoping to add some cool standard moves, so stay tuned. And yeah, you're right with it being horribly unlikely, but I'll still support it forever and ever and ever... :laugh:

Also, it does seem like it could be a cool boss, the more I think about it.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Count me in, I'll support the Plasm Wraith too. Getting near the end of Pikmin 3. Although, I haven't fully beaten it yet, I have gotten to the Formidable Oak.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Count me in, I'll support the Plasm Wraith too. Getting near the end of Pikmin 3. Although, I haven't fully beaten it yet, I have gotten to the Formidable Oak.
Thanks for your support! I wish you luck with fighting the Plasm Wraith!

Also, I added some flavor text to the OP.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
So I finally got around to making palette swaps for the Plasm Wraith(In Word 2010 of all programs) and I think they turned out really good. I've added them to the OP, so please let me know what you think.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
It's definitely a more unique idea then another Captain, and really the Plasm Wraith is the only non-humanoid candidate from the Pikmin series that could work, but sadly I doubt such a thing would happen. Maybe as an Adventure Mode boss?

Regardless, I shall offer my support.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
It's definitely a more unique idea then another Captain, and really the Plasm Wraith is the only non-humanoid candidate from the Pikmin series that could work, but sadly I doubt such a thing would happen. Maybe as an Adventure Mode boss?

Regardless, I shall offer my support.
Thanks for your support! Yeah, it's pretty unlikely as a playable character, but hey, you never know. I have been working on a boss concept for it, so expect that soon.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Hello! Thanks for making this dedicated thread, Headcrab Jackalope! I happened upon this thread when I tried to understand what the Plasm Wraith was, after someone somewhere suggested the Plasm Wraith become playable in SSB4. Anyway, I enjoy oblong, not too humanoid characters, so that alone convinces me to want them in SSB4. Their gelatinous body also attarcts me. But I also remember seeing this boss in a Pikmin 3 boss compilation video. The Plasm Wraith walks very strangely in that game.
Anyway, please add me to the list of supporters. I would almost certainly main this character for their design alone! To have any of the strange beings from a Pikmin game be playable would be nice. But, with their significant role and perhaps one-of-a-kind tactics, this character is special!

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Call me crazy, but I think, given Sakurai's push for more unique characters, that the Plasm Wraith is more likely then a second Captain for a Pikmin rep. An asymmetrical, gelatinous, eyeless creature would be something never seen before in the roster. But again, if the PW makes any sort of appearance, chances are it won't be as playable.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Hello! Thanks for making this dedicated thread, Headcrab Jackalope! I happened upon this thread when I tried to understand what the Plasm Wraith was, after someone somewhere suggested the Plasm Wraith become playable in SSB4. Anyway, I enjoy oblong, not too humanoid characters, so that alone convinces me to want them in SSB4. Their gelatinous body also attarcts me. But I also remember seeing this boss in a Pikmin 3 boss compilation video. The Plasm Wraith walks very strangely in that game.
Anyway, please add me to the list of supporters. I would almost certainly main this character for their design alone! To have any of the strange beings from a Pikmin game be playable would be nice. But, with their significant role and perhaps one-of-a-kind tactics, this character is special!
Thanks so much! It's nice to see someone who really supports the Plasm Wraith. It's just such a unique creature with lots of potential in both the Pikmin series and the Smash Bros series. Please let me know if you have any ideas for it! ;)
Call me crazy, but I think, given Sakurai's push for more unique characters, that the Plasm Wraith is more likely then a second Captain for a Pikmin rep. An asymmetrical, gelatinous, eyeless creature would be something never seen before in the roster. But again, if the PW makes any sort of appearance, chances are it won't be as playable.
This is exactly how I feel. If Sakurai is looking for uniqueness, the Plasm Wraith just oozes(pun intended) it. Unfortunately, Pikmin getting another character is super unlikely, and that alone is what brings Plasm Wraith and every other potential Pikmin characters' chances down. Which is a shame really, since Pikmin can offer some incredibly diverse and unique characters compared to some other series.

Anyway, still holding out for the nigh impossible E3 reveal of the Wraith. Being revealed along with Ridley would be so hype.

Last edited:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
I would like to post some ideas for Plasm Wraith, but I should sleep soon. I was watching the boss fight, too.
Thinking about SSB's roster just makes me want each of these series to have fighting games! Pokemon, Zelda, Metroid, and Pikmin have particularly interesting casts for fighting games!
WOAH. What you typed about E3 granted me an idea. What if an E3 trailer acted as a... great villain EXPOSITION?!
King K. Rool, Ridley, Plasm Wraith, Medusa, and Ganondorf finally reveal themeselves!
Sadly, most of these characters would probably require unlocking, keeping Mr. Sakurai from showing them.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I would like to post some ideas for Plasm Wraith, but I should sleep soon. I was watching the boss fight, too.
Thinking about SSB's roster just makes me want each of these series to have fighting games! Pokemon, Zelda, Metroid, and Pikmin have particularly interesting casts for fighting games!
WOAH. What you typed about E3 granted me an idea. What if an E3 trailer acted as a... great villain EXPOSITION?!
King K. Rool, Ridley, Plasm Wraith, Medusa, and Ganondorf finally reveal themeselves!
Sadly, most of these characters would probably require unlocking, keeping Mr. Sakurai from showing them.
Yeah, I've thought about each series having their own fighting game too. I think it'd be a really cool idea, since they could have fewer characters overall but more characters from that series. Characters I could see in a Pikmin fighting game are Olimar, Louie, Alph, Plasm Wraith, and maybe even a Bulborb. There's a lot of other Pikmin creatures I'd like to see playable. The Vehemoth Phosbat could definitely have a unique moveset and playstyle.

I would LOVE a big villain reveal at E3. Watching the villains fight each other or team up would be really epic. Like you said though, villains are usually characters that are unlockable, which means they won't be shown until release.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
This is exactly how I feel. If Sakurai is looking for uniqueness, the Plasm Wraith just oozes(pun intended) it. Unfortunately, Pikmin getting another character is super unlikely, and that alone is what brings Plasm Wraith and every other potential Pikmin characters' chances down. Which is a shame really, since Pikmin can offer some incredibly diverse and unique characters compared to some other series.

Anyway, still holding out for the nigh impossible E3 reveal of the Wraith. Being revealed along with Ridley would be so hype.
It's a shame really. Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, and other fans of the like can comfortably await new characters, or at least plentiful veterans. Even Mother and F-Zero lovers aren't completely empty, what with Black Shadow and Porky still potentially waiting in the wings.

Us Pikmin enthusiasts are pretty much left with nothing. The only characters most consider eligible (aka the other Captains) practically lend themselves to being clones, and the rest are just creatures that would easily be denoted to simple run-of-the-mill enemies or bosses. The Plasm Wraith has to potential to be more then that, but will inevitably be overlooked in favor of random WTF characters and pretty boy sword wielders.
:glare:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
It's a shame really. Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, and other fans of the like can comfortably await new characters, or at least plentiful veterans. Even Mother and F-Zero lovers aren't completely empty, what with Black Shadow and Porky still potentially waiting in the wings.

Us Pikmin enthusiasts are pretty much left with nothing. The only characters most consider eligible (aka the other Captains) practically lend themselves to being clones, and the rest are just creatures that would easily be denoted to simple run-of-the-mill enemies or bosses. The Plasm Wraith has to potential to be more then that, but will inevitably be overlooked in favor of random WTF characters and pretty boy sword wielders.
:glare:
This is exactly how I feel. It seems like when someone suggests a newcomer for Pikmin, he'll get these responses: "Pikmin doesn't need a new character," "Pikmin is perfectly represented by Olimar," or "He'd be a clone!" (When suggesting Louie or Alph) Yet somehow, people are okay with F-Zero(a dead series) and Earthbound (a finished series) getting a newcomer. Don't get me wrong, Black Shadow and Porky would be cool, but if you can say those two series deserve another character and Pikmin doesn't, you might need to rethink it. :ohwell:

Edit: Wow. My last two responses to you have started with "This is exactly how I feel." :awesome:

Last edited:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
I never thought of it like that, WingedSnagret. This is exactly how I should feel. But, perhaps, this is the nature of fighting games; the nature of humans; the nature of popularity. If game developers would focus on developing non-humanoid characters, and stop treating their non-humanoid characters as enemies or bosses, things could be different. All the humanoid alien characters out there still reflect humans. Mr. Sakurai also expressed, I think, that non-humanoid characters are more difficult to implement. But, so what if human characters are generally more relate-able or easier to program or easily marketable? It's a complex topic. Thinking about the games I play, I would usually rather play as the cool, strange enemies I encounter than the human I am usually forced to use.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I never thought of it like that, WingedSnagret. This is exactly how I should feel. But, perhaps, this is the nature of fighting games; the nature of humans; the nature of popularity. If game developers would focus on developing non-humanoid characters, and stop treating their non-humanoid characters as enemies or bosses, things could be different. All the humanoid alien characters out there still reflect humans. Mr. Sakurai also expressed, I think, that non-humanoid characters are more difficult to implement. But, so what if human characters are generally more relate-able or easier to program or easily marketable? It's a complex topic. Thinking about the games I play, I would usually rather play as the cool, strange enemies I encounter than the human I am usually forced to use.
Pokemon is kind of the exception to this though. You only play as the creatures, but at the same time they are the obvious focus of their series and most in the roster (like Lucario for example) are still human-like in structure. When you think about it, the majority of none human characters in Smash have humanoid attributes, like Yoshi and Donkey Kong.

So with that in mind the Plasm Wraith still has that edge going for it as unlike most Pikmin animals it tends to stand upright and walk around in a bipedal fashion.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Sadly, if a gelatinous blobby thing was to get into Smash, it'd probably be Sukapon. Imagine a death battle between the two if they were both playable, though....

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
This thing, Plasm Wraith, looks awesome and has a lot of potential, I voted yes in the poll.
Too bad it's so unlikely :c

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Sadly, if a gelatinous blobby thing was to get into Smash, it'd probably be Sukapon. Imagine a death battle between the two if they were both playable, though....
Sukapon probably has the same chance of getting in as Plasm Wraith, since he's the only character to be specifically disconfirmed in an interview with Sakurai(I think).
This thing, Plasm Wraith, looks awesome and has a lot of potential, I voted yes in the poll.
Too bad it's so unlikely :c
Yeah, it's a real shame. :c
Thanks for your support though! :bee:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Hmm, I've noticed a potential problem; the idea that the newcomer roster has too many unexpected left field characters (which I agree with for the time being). It's obvious that the vast majority would have no clue what the Plasm Wraith is, and as a result would be lumped together with the growing pile of "unexpected" additions. Of course being bias towards Pikmin it wouldn't bother me, but unless we see some more desired faces like K. Rool and Palutena first I'm willing to bet the Wraith won't be that welcomed.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Hmm, I've noticed a potential problem; the idea that the newcomer roster has too many unexpected left field characters (which I agree with for the time being). It's obvious that the vast majority would have no clue what the Plasm Wraith is, and as a result would be lumped together with the growing pile of "unexpected" additions. Of course being bias towards Pikmin it wouldn't bother me, but unless we see some more desired faces like K. Rool and Palutena first I'm willing to bet the Wraith won't be that welcomed.
Exactly. Which is why I feel like it would be best revealed in a bigger trailer with other popular newcomers like Ridley, K. Rool, etc. Hopefully that would make it easier for people to see it as a cool, powerful gelatinous monster instead of a random nobody that stole *insert character here*'s spot. Another the thing the Wraith has to its benefit is that instead of being a "casual/happy" surprise character, it happens to be a powerful and dangerous creature. I'd imagine people would like a badass creature better than another Wii Fit Trainer.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I had to click on this to see what it was. Ah yes, the nightmare fuel final boss of Pikmin 3 (I mean, come on, it's a boneless chicken dinner that can turn into different states of matter and drown you within itself). I'm not on board with it being playable but I think it should be noted in some form, whether as an AT, a stage hazard, or a trophy.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I had to click on this to see what it was. Ah yes, the nightmare fuel final boss of Pikmin 3 (I mean, come on, it's a boneless chicken dinner that can turn into different states of matter and drown you within itself). I'm not on board with it being playable but I think it should be noted in some form, whether as an AT, a stage hazard, or a trophy.
Yes, it is quite terrifying, its Mysterious Life Form phase in particular. I do agree that if it isn't playable, it should be the stage boss on the Garden of Hope stage.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I had another thought. With the new Hocotate Ship item, I'm willing to bet that Olimar's Final Smash will change. It would be interesting if the Plasm Wraith appeared and enveloped him, then you control the creature itself and stab at your opponents and maybe occasionally throw out an elemental plasm. Sure it would mean the Plasm Wraith wouldn't be playable, but at least we'd get to see it in action.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I had another thought. With the new Hocotate Ship item, I'm willing to bet that Olimar's Final Smash will change. It would be interesting if the Plasm Wraith appeared and enveloped him, then you control the creature itself and stab at your opponents and maybe occasionally throw out an elemental plasm. Sure it would mean the Plasm Wraith wouldn't be playable, but at least we'd get to see it in action.
That would actually be pretty darn cool, since not only could it allow the Plasm Wraith to have its first "playable" appearance, it would also raise awareness about it without enraging people who think it stole their character's slot.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Well by the looks of things we won't get another Captain character, so that means Plasm's chances are marginally higher I guess?

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Well by the looks of things we won't get another Captain character, so that means Plasm's chances are marginally higher I guess?
I'm personally not seeing how Brittany's disconfirmation affects Alph's or Louie's chances, but whatever. I'd say Olimar's new up special is what really hurt Alph's chances. Louie is still in the running though. So basically I thought the Wraith's chances had risen after the Direct, since it wasn't disconfirmed and Alph's chances were hurt.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I'm personally not seeing how Brittany's disconfirmation affects Alph's or Louie's chances, but whatever. I'd say Olimar's new up special is what really hurt Alph's chances. Louie is still in the running though. So basically I thought the Wraith's chances had risen after the Direct, since it wasn't disconfirmed and Alph's chances were hurt.
Not that I hate the guy, but I fail to see what Louie could bring to the table. Literally the only new thing he could do is use Rock Pikmin, and they would make more sense with a newer Captain anyway. In short, I believe it's either Plasm Wraith, or nothing. I'm banking on nothing... :urg:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Not that I hate the guy, but I fail to see what Louie could bring to the table. Literally the only new thing he could do is use Rock Pikmin, and they would make more sense with a newer Captain anyway. In short, I believe it's either Plasm Wraith, or nothing. I'm banking on nothing... :urg:
Louie's affinity for bugs. Use a summoner type moveset that uses various PNF-404 creatures. Boom, unique. :p
Yeah, unfortunately for us Pikmin fans, we'll probably end up with nothing while Kid Icarus gets another, Star Fox keeps 3 and maybe adds another, and people will continue to say that we don't need a new Pikmin character but we need a newcomer for practically every other non-retro series. :c

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Louie's affinity for bugs. Use a summoner type moveset that uses various PNF-404 creatures. Boom, unique. :p
Yeah, unfortunately for us Pikmin fans, we'll probably end up with nothing while Kid Icarus gets another, Star Fox keeps 3 and maybe adds another, and people will continue to say that we don't need a new Pikmin character but we need a newcomer for practically every other non-retro series. :c
Ah well, at least Olimar is there to begin with so we have some playable representation. Still, it can get annoying hearing people be perfectly okay with rosters with 6+ Zelda/Pokemon/Mario slots, but a second Pikmin character? Oh no, that's just preposterous.

Sigh...

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
If Earthbound, which has had 3 games, and can have 2 characters, then the same should be able to apply for Pikmin.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
If Earthbound, which has had 3 games, and can have 2 characters, then the same should be able to apply for Pikmin.
Donkey Kong is a far bigger franchise then StarFox, yet the latter has more reps (though hopefully K. Rool/Dixie will change that). I think that's even worse.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
I do not know how to contribute to this current topic. I do know Plasm Wraith will gladly wear a pony tail and pink shirt if Dixie cannot assume her playable role.

Top Bottom