• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The General Game-Playing and Discussion Thread

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Aaaaaaand Toaster went down to a crit thunderbolt.

I'll update when I'm not on my phone.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Poison should also be strong against water and fighting. That way poison is strong against the life-giving resources of nature (water and grass) as well as the type that embraces physical dexterity (fighting). Poison would be more useful and the overpowered elements would be neutralized.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Water renders poison pretty useless since it dissolves the dangerous parts of most poisons pretty well.

Not to mention any poison move is a free steel switch-in.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Water renders poison pretty useless since it dissolves the dangerous parts of most poisons pretty well.

Not to mention any poison move is a free steel switch-in.
A couple points...

1. The poison type also covers pollution such as sludge, oil slicks, ect. Look at the designs of Koffing, Muk, and the garbage bag fellow from the latest generation.
2. Electricity does not have any real damaging effects on water. But water does conduct electricity and in doing so electricity kills the creatures that live within its realm.

Sludge, pollution, oil, ect. act in the same way. Water acts as a medium that dispenses these harmful materials into the bodies of the creatures that dwell in these water-based habitats.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
This topic is relevant to my interests.

I was just replaying Pokemon Ruby and I realized I loved pokemon again but I wanted to get more into it. I just got done catching Groudon, I'm not Nuzlocking this run but I AM going to Nuzlocke Emerald after I'm done with my current game.

I went and decided to search what Tier level they were in, I was genuinely suprised.

Current Ruby Team:

Starter: Combusken (Lvl 33) (OU once he evolves)
Sustainer(?): Tropius (Lvl 37) (UU)
Sweeper: Skarmory (Lvl 35) (OU)
Sweeper: Hariyama (Lvl 33) (UU)
Sustainer: Wobbufett (Lvl 28) (Uber)
Catcher: Anorith (Lvl 38) (BL once he evolves)

Boxed:
Swellow (Lvl 26)
Castform (Lvl 25)
Electrike (Lvl 13)
Groudon (Lvl 45)
Vigoroth (Lvl 28)
HM SLAVE (Lvl 11)
Absol (Lvl 25)

I'd say I did pretty good.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I've been Exp. sharing Anorith and trying to level up my Tropius, Combusken hasn't got a lot of spot-light because of it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Pokemon evolve. What if the worse typing (Poison) could evolve?

I suggest that the Poison type can evolve to the Radioactive type. The Radioactive type is similar to Poison and can also Poison (with STAB effect), but has differences.

Radioactive type is super-effective against Grass, Water, and Fighting. Radiation kills the elements of life as well as the type that focuses on the physical body.

Radioactive resists the same elements as Poison.

Radioactive deals damage to rock and steel normally, although steel still resists the status effect of being poisoned.

Same weaknesses to Psychic and Ground.

*How does this work? Some Poison pokemon have another stage after their final Poison evolution. During this new evolution, the pokemon replaces the Poison type with the Radioactive type.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Lame type suggestion TBH.

Gamefreak isn't going to add new types anyways. Especially if it's just a buffed version of another Type.

TBH Poison isn't supposed to be an offensive type, it's supposed to be defensive, providing Toxic Spikes and Removing Toxic Spikes Mainly. Tentacruel shows that at least the type doesn't totally suck, his position in OU is attributed to his Water and Poison typings. Toxicroak also LOVES his Fighting, Bug, and Grass Resists. It's trash offensively and okay defensively. That's how **** is. Poison would be stupid if it had coverage like that, being able to hit basically every common defensive core Neutrally or better with ONE type, while also getting the privileges of not being a ****ty defensive type.

Radioactive also doesn't fit in the type graphics, it's too long @_@

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Lame type suggestion TBH.

Gamefreak isn't going to add new types anyways. Especially if it's just a buffed version of another Type.

TBH Poison isn't supposed to be an offensive type, it's supposed to be defensive, providing Toxic Spikes and Removing Toxic Spikes Mainly. Tentacruel shows that at least the type doesn't totally suck, his position in OU is attributed to his Water and Poison typings. Toxicroak also LOVES his Fighting, Bug, and Grass Resists. It's trash offensively and okay defensively. That's how **** is. Poison would be stupid if it had coverage like that, being able to hit basically every common defensive core Neutrally or better with ONE type, while also getting the privileges of not being a ****ty defensive type.

Radioactive also doesn't fit in the type graphics, it's too long @_@
Seems like a way to buff Poison without balancing issues with the pokemon that are already of Poison type. Also fits in with the evolution theme.

Why not buff a type that is trash offensively and okay defensively? Water and Fighting need more weaknesses anyways.

Also, good suggestion above this post. Nuclear is a far better name.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
There really aren't "upgrade" evolution types though <.>

I honestly also wouldn't want to make a team with a type like Nuclear existing, especially a stall one. Something like Surf/Ice Beam/equivalent to Sludge Bomb on a Nuclear Tentacruel would sort of decimate every Pokemon defensively, and you can just throw Toxic on for Blissey. Nuclear Gengar could **** **** up too.

The problem is you haven't just made it a little better, you've made it overall one of the best types in the game, possibly better than even Dragon, packing a plethora of Super Effectives and Neutrals, being able to hit everything in the OU tier as easily as Dragon/Fire can, and doesn't suffer from being a bad defensive type.

You've turned the worst type in the game into the second (or maybe even first) best type in the game. Terrible balancing.

Poison having one more decent resist or hit one other thing Super Effective would be nice and all, but honestly it's not going to change anyways. I got tired of new type bull**** after Gen IV came out and shattered any chance of a type chart change or a new type happening.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Well, not all Poison pokemon would have Nuclear. Only a few, that way balance can be guaranteed.

If you want, Nuclear can still not be quite effective against rock and steel (1/2 damage), but I think it should be able to do damage to steel (just not poison it).

I think it is a good way to make Poison type playable. Obviously, you disagree. That is OK.

And Nuclear moves should only be made available to Nuclear types.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The fact Nuclear does Damage to steels at all was one of the reasons it is so stupid.

Also, if a type so SO good that the ONLY Pokemon that can get it without breaking the game are the ones that get STAB on it due to the ridiculous SE and Neutral coverage it gives... that shows you have broken of a type you've created.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
How about this:

Type: Nuclear
Effectiveness:

Fire x1
Water x2
Grass x2
Fighting x1
Poison x0.5
Nuclear x0
Psychic x1
Dark x1
Bug x1
Dragon x1
Steel x0.5
Rock x1
Electric x1
Flying x1

Same weaknesses as poison except is weak to water and is immune to Poison and Nuclear.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
So, after a little bit of a break from Pokémon playing, I've decided to Nuzlocke again. I'm doing Pearl this time. This time, I'm doing a U.S. history theme. Male Pokémon are presidents, female presidents are other important historical figures (because there are no female presidents).

Trainer Name: America (Yes, that's right. AMURRIKA.)
Rival Name: USSR (I'd have done Communism for the lulz, but it didn't fit.)

Current Team:
Fillmore (Turtwig) Level 10
Nixon (Kricketot) Level 7

Right now I'm at Route 202 training Nixon so he can actually do something.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Hello everybody, Ulti's Marshtomp here (or have I evolved yet?).

I'm doing a Nuzlocke run of Emerald in Let's Play form, with my friend Leisha (and occasional guest commentators). After two botched starts (due to my recording methods failing), here is the first episode, and I think it turned out pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dzgBCDFNnc. I should mention that I'm not a competitive Pokemon player at all, but Leisha is somewhat. We know each other from the ROB boards, so most of our Pokemon will be named after regulars in the ROB social.

We're using fairly relaxed optional rules, partially because this is our first Nuzlocke, but mostly because we want to minimize the amount of grinding necessary to make for a more entertaining Let's Play. So we're going with:
-Faint = permadeath
-Can only catch the first encounter of each new area
-Pokeball clause (Encounters don't count until you have Pokeballs)
-Species clause (Encounters don't count if you already have a Pokemon from that evolutionary line)
And that's it. Haven't decided what to do if we encounter a shiny though. Honestly, I've played through every gen except 5th at least twice and I've never encountered a shiny, not once.

Here's our team at the end of the first episode:
Trainer - JCaesar
Lv 11 Mudkip - Leisha
Lv 5 Poochyena - Btree
Lv 4 Taillow - Sapphire
Lv 3 Wurmple - DaJayMan (don't see him getting much use...)
And we're about ready to go into Petalburg Woods.

I imagine we'll only be releasing 1 or 2 episodes a week, depending on how fast we get them recorded. The 2nd episode is already done, but we'll see how things go. Hope you enjoy it! Any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

Funny aside: In our second botched start, our Mudkip (Sudai) critted 3 of our first 4 catchable encounters, and subsequently got critted himself in Petalburg Woods by a Shroomish, leaving us with nothing but that Shroomish and a Cascoon, both at low levels. So yeah, I wasn't too broken up about losing the footage of that run, though I guess you guys are missing out on some hilariously frustrated commentary/cursing.

:phone:

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I'm currently doing a Nuzlocke of FireRed for fun. :x It's the farthest I've ever gotten in a Nuzlocke too (I'm on my way to Blaine right now).

Current team:

Sophie (Vileplume) - lvl 45, F; Route 24
Charlie (Jolteon) - lvl 51, M; Celadon City
Doris (Gyarados) - lvl 44, F; Route 4
Steven (Meowth) - lvl 12, M; Route 5

Boxed:

Mike (Hitmonchan) - lvl 25, M; Saffron City

Deceased:

Vinnie (Charizard) - lvl 36, M; died to poison after a valiant fight with Koga. R.I.P.; Pallet Town
Carla (Rattata); died in first fight of training. **** 'em.; Route 22
Sal (Pidgey); died in first fight of training. **** 'em.; Route 2
Rocky (Weedle); died in first fight of training. **** 'em.; Viridian Forest
Kelly (Beedrill); died to a crit against something that I can't recall. **** 'em.; Route 25
Trixie (Diglett); died to something that I can't recall. **** 'em.; Diglett's Cave

Losing Vinnie was a huge hit for me, since he was the most stable member of my team despite being the lowest level at the time. It's my own fault though. I made the mistake of thinking that Koga was the 5th gym leader when Sabrina actually is in this game, so my team was really underleveled for the fight. As for the rest of them, it was all training mistakes that I could really care less about tbh. Raticate and Beedrill aren't very useful once you get to the Elite Four, and Dugtrio's not exactly a stable Pokemon to make it that far anyway. Steven gives me something to throw Flash and Cut on and Gyarados, due to a lack of Physical/Special split and a relatively terrible movepool in this game, ended up as my major HM *****. Hitmonchan sits in the box just in case everything else I have dies and I'm forced to start from scratch. As it stands, pretty much the only way my team will change is if I happen across a Growlithe or maybe Grimer (<3 Muk) in the Pokemon Mansion.

Also, protip. Unless you actually happen across something that scales well into later in the game within those first few routes (typically this rule only applies to the game's 3-stage flyer and an oddball extra 3-stage evolver, such as the Nidorans, Bellsprout, Ralts, and Shinx), don't even bother. You're better off leveling up your starter to absurd levels and bashing everything's face in at the bat of an eye. It saves you precious Pokeballs (assuming you're playing with that clause on, like I am) and it makes a good portion of the game smoother.

So yup. Also, take advantage of those guaranteed catches when you can. Every time. The Pokemon you get from it is almost always something that will be useful and it saves you Pokeballs. If you didn't notice from what I have in my team and what's made it far for me at all, it's stuff I was given. Charmander (obv), Magikarp, Eevee, and potentially Hitmonchan. Oddish is the only thing I've caught that's been useful, and even then it's probably my weakest link outside of the obvious Meowth.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I'm currently doing a Nuzlocke of FireRed for fun. :x It's the farthest I've ever gotten in a Nuzlocke too (I'm on my way to Blaine right now).

Current team:

Sophie (Vileplume) - lvl 45, F; Route 24
Charlie (Jolteon) - lvl 51, M; Celadon City
Doris (Gyarados) - lvl 44, F; Route 4
Steven (Meowth) - lvl 12, M; Route 5

Boxed:

Mike (Hitmonchan) - lvl 25, M; Saffron City

Deceased:

Vinnie (Charizard) - lvl 36, M; died to poison after a valiant fight with Koga. R.I.P.; Pallet Town
Carla (Rattata); died in first fight of training. **** 'em.; Route 22
Sal (Pidgey); died in first fight of training. **** 'em.; Route 2
Rocky (Weedle); died in first fight of training. **** 'em.; Viridian Forest
Kelly (Beedrill); died to a crit against something that I can't recall. **** 'em.; Route 25
Trixie (Diglett); died to something that I can't recall. **** 'em.; Diglett's Cave

Losing Vinnie was a huge hit for me, since he was the most stable member of my team despite being the lowest level at the time. It's my own fault though. I made the mistake of thinking that Koga was the 5th gym leader when Sabrina actually is in this game, so my team was really underleveled for the fight. As for the rest of them, it was all training mistakes that I could really care less about tbh. Raticate and Beedrill aren't very useful once you get to the Elite Four, and Dugtrio's not exactly a stable Pokemon to make it that far anyway. Steven gives me something to throw Flash and Cut on and Gyarados, due to a lack of Physical/Special split and a relatively terrible movepool in this game, ended up as my major HM *****. Hitmonchan sits in the box just in case everything else I have dies and I'm forced to start from scratch. As it stands, pretty much the only way my team will change is if I happen across a Growlithe or maybe Grimer (<3 Muk) in the Pokemon Mansion.

Also, protip. Unless you actually happen across something that scales well into later in the game within those first few routes (typically this rule only applies to the game's 3-stage flyer and an oddball extra 3-stage evolver, such as the Nidorans, Bellsprout, Ralts, and Shinx), don't even bother. You're better off leveling up your starter to absurd levels and bashing everything's face in at the bat of an eye. It saves you precious Pokeballs (assuming you're playing with that clause on, like I am) and it makes a good portion of the game smoother.

So yup. Also, take advantage of those guaranteed catches when you can. Every time. The Pokemon you get from it is almost always something that will be useful and it saves you Pokeballs. If you didn't notice from what I have in my team and what's made it far for me at all, it's stuff I was given. Charmander (obv), Magikarp, Eevee, and potentially Hitmonchan. Oddish is the only thing I've caught that's been useful, and even then it's probably my weakest link outside of the obvious Meowth.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Made a bit of progress on my Pearl Nuzlocke. One rule that I've decided to not follow that I did follow last time is the Poké Ball rule; there seem to be far fewer free Poké Balls in fourth gen than in third. I've only bought Poké Balls once, I bought five at a mart when I was nearly out, and I'm hoping to avoid doing that as much as possible.

Anyway, I've made it to Solaceon, and I haven't had any deaths yet. Here's my current party:

Lucretia (Ponyta) - Level 20
Abigail (Spiritomb) - Level 25
Amelia (Staravia) - Level 29
Millard [Changed his name] (Grotle) - Level 27
Taft (Bibarel) - Level 20
Eisenhower (Geodude) - Level 20

Then in my box we have:

Clinton (Zubat) - Level 8
Truman (Budew) - Level 11
Eleanor (Geodude) - Level 10
Molly (Gastly) - Level 18
Nixon (Kricketune) - Level 20

I ended up getting two other Zubats and I didn't even bother trying to catch them since I have yet to find use for the one I have. I was actually trying to repel through Mt. Coronet so I could get a better Pokémon in there later on, when I can go up to the higher levels and onto the summit, but I forgot I had Taft at level 13 up front for training, so a Zubat made it through and messed up the first encounter of the area.

I'm a bit surprised I haven't lost anyone so far, but I suppose it's a bit early to be surprised since I haven't even gotten to the third gym yet.

NTA

Smash Lord
I hate how the player's mother will go and buy an item impulsively from the department store with my money. ***** I sent it there so it can be saved, not spent on worthless **** I don't need. Unless it's a masterball :troll:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Mono-bug randomlocke of Firered.

I get the pokemon from this site: http://wyncorporation.com/pokemon/

NFE On.

National Dex.

3 options (I choose the first one that is catchable in fire red)

Rules:
Always catch the lowest form possible.
Only other two rules are the regular two (Catch the first RNG'd bug that you see, Faint = Death)

Team so far:

Toby the Male Heracross Lv.15 (Starter)
Felicity the Female Venonat Lv.15 (Route 1 catch)
Florence the Male Paras Lv.15 (Route 22 catch)
Jake the Male Scyther Lv.15 (Viridian Forest catch)

Catches failed so far:
Route 2 - Weedle
Mount Moon - Pinsir (Yeah, I messed it up, since I thought it was Paras. It was Pinsir haha.)

Dead Pokemon so far:
None

Boxed:
Jenna the Female Paras Lv.6 (Route 3 Catch)

Badges:

Mono-bug suuuucks lol.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Depends on how much of a challenge you want. A solo run with an evolved (or legendary) Pokémon is going to be less of a challenge than one without evolution, obviously. If you're just looking for a fun, different run, go for the evolution. If you're looking to really push yourself, then don't evolve it.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Doing a solo run with JUST a tentacool wouldn't be too bad. No physical moves will really mess with it besides like... ground.

Just watch out for physical ground moves and grind a lot. You'd be good to go.

Good luck~.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Time for another update!

Just beat Misty with Heracross : D.

Team so far:

Toby the Male Heracross Lv.23 (Starter)
Felicity the Female Venonat Lv.25 (Route 1 catch)
Florence the Male Paras Lv.22 (Route 22 catch)
Jake the Male Scyther Lv.23 (Viridian Forest catch)
Colbert the Male Nincada Lv.20 (Route 24 catch)

Catches failed so far:
Route 2 - Weedle
Mount Moon - Pinsir (Yeah, I messed it up, since I thought it was Paras. It was Pinsir haha.)
Route 4 - Paras
Route 25 - Nincada

Dead Pokemon so far:
None

Boxed:
Jenna the Female Paras Lv.6 (Route 3 Catch)

Badges:

Jane

Smash Hero
so yesterday the power went out while i was watching some very important playoff basketball. it was horrible but i used that time to pick up my old nuzlocke platinum that i haven't played in ages. here's my team as of now:

Party:
Choom (Luxio) - Lvl 26
Lil Pappy (Grotle) - Lvl 26
******s [slang term for breasts that rhymes with "kitties"] (Meditite) - Lvl 22
Mama (Bibarel) - Lvl 22
Anabobo (Budew) - Lvl 11
Humphrey (Ponyta) - Lvl 18

Box:
Pupu (Togepi) - Lvl 1
Baby Doll (Shinx) - Lvl 5
ChiCity (Zubat) - Lvl 8
Mr. Salty (Cascoon) - Lvl 14
Sisi (Geodude) - Lvl 17
Roor (Bronzor) - Lvl 18

I am about to fight Fantina or whatever, the third gym leader. Wish me luck, I really dont want to lose any of my current team :X

Bing

Smash Master
Depends on how much of a challenge you want. A solo run with an evolved (or legendary) Pokémon is going to be less of a challenge than one without evolution, obviously. If you're just looking for a fun, different run, go for the evolution. If you're looking to really push yourself, then don't evolve it.
The only gym Thats been a challenge was Brock because supersonic has bad accuracy and poison sting barely poisons. First attack he learns that's water was bubblebeam at level 25

:phone:

Editting a 5 day old post because I dont want an infraction.

So Im starting a new game in Pokemon HeartGold and Im just curious... what should I do? Nuzlocke?

Im starting with Chikorita because I havent had a Meganium in a very long time(And I love Meganium)

Im thinking a Nuzlocke with the Nickname,first thing in every route and legendary clauses. Might add in the Pokecenter and Pokemart clause, opinion?

Bing

Smash Master
Seriously if I get infracted for this -_-

So Im doing a Nuzlocke of HeartGold, I havent been able to play too much but heres whats up.

Currently Located in:Azalea Town.
Just defeated Bugsy with extreme ease.

Current Team:
Atlus Level 18 Bayleef
Patches level 16 Gastly
Brynx level 14 Onix

In Box: Shiny Sandshrew level 7, Quiet Nature(THIS ANGERS MORE SO MUCH) Forgot to nickname lol...

Stored away because of fainting: Slifer the Level 11 Pidgey(So glad I didnt waste Roost on it)

Story of how it fainted, I was defeating Team Tocket in the Slowpoke well, things were going smoothly Until some *******s Ekans got a crit with bite and ended Pidgey's time with me.

Sort of upset, I really liked that Pidgey.. it was adamant...

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Seriously if I get infracted for this -_-
If there's a large enough time gap in between posts and you're making a quality post, double posting is fine. Since it's been more than a week, you're definitely good to post again.

Bing

Smash Master
I was find for levels lol! I had like 3-4 levels on the damn Ekans, just terribly unlucky. Other then that, its been easy street, Im not buy pokeballs in my so Im going to grind a bit in Azalea while kurt makes me some Pokeballs from the Apricorns.

I am going to be trading to make Onix become Steelix and Haunter become Gengar eventually lol

Okay Nuzlocke update time!

I havent been able to play too much over the last few days, between birthday stuff and work. However I have made a bit of progress and it goes like so.

I made it Goldenrod city, My Togepi egg hatched, I named her Mysti

Current Team:
Atlus Level 20 Bayleef Male
Patches level 18 Gastly Male
Brynx level 15 Onix Male
Briar Level 14 Growlithe Female
Nike Level 14 Nidoran Female (Named in honour of my shoes that just died.. and the Goddess of Victory)
Mysti Level 1 Togepi Female Adamant nature

In Box: Shiny Sandshrew level 7, Quiet Nature(
Stored away because of fainting: Slifer the Level 11 Pidgey
FreeFree Level 10 Butterfree. Was KO'd by a critical ember used by a Magmar.

Im fairly happy with how this Nuzlocke's been going, Im going to train Nike to a Nidorina and level up Brynx and Jessica to about level 17 before facing Whitney.

Now whitney general gives me some trouble, so I taught Bayleef Reflect, and Im going to set up a reflect and PoisonPowder Whitney, then switch out for something else..or might just stay, probably switch to Patches though. Then Curse.

Future plans, Switch Togepi for the eevee you get from Bill, I'd love to make it an Espeon(Any tips) but I'll probably go Vaporeon.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Whats a brother got to do to get an Adamant Timburr around here?
I've been searching for so long I've actually come across a shiny tympole. *sigh*

Timid nature w/ Swift Swim. I'd have preffered modest, but I'm not about to complain :3

Top Bottom