• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The General Game-Playing and Discussion Thread

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Given that I'm not a hugely into competitive Pokémon myself, most of my Pokémon playing is just running through the games over again in one way or another. I figure I'm probably not the only one who does some extent of running through the games on different challenge runs and whatnot, or just going back through for fun, but to have a separate thread for each game, or even each generation, would be far too much. (Though if there already exists a specific thread for something, you can still just discuss it in there.)

Thus the birth of this thread. Use it to discuss current runs through games (through whatever method, regular run or challenge run, ROMhack or standard game, etc.), or random opinions on specific generations or games. Just make sure, obviously, to not +1 post count. Don't just post "I'm playing through X game right now."

-----

What inspired this thread is that I'm actually making an effort to finish a Nuzlocke, finally. I've started two in Sapphire before, the first of which I stopped playing because I was so scared of losing more important Pokémon and then restarted because it had been so long, and then basically the same thing happened with the second one.

Now I've started a new Nuzlocke (with a Buffyverse naming theme) and have gotten up to Victory Road, and I'm grinding like hell before I even attempt to go through Victory Road (sort of just breaking up the E4 preparation). I actually hadn't had any deaths at all, up to Victory Road...until I got a Spheal (evolved into Sealeo) that I was trying to use to replace Gyarados since Gyarados's Special Attack could be better and this is 3rd gen, so Water is all Special. I was training against some random trainer in the Trick House, and a Machoke Revenge (level 26 vs. level 34, figured I'd have a better shot) took it down.

Anyway, I'll be continuing my training, putting Lorne the Gyarados back on my team, I suppose. The better option would be Starmie, of course, but I didn't manage to get one in Lilycove.

Anyone else been playing any games recently?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Might as well post.

Emerald Nuzlocke. Using Smashboards aliases for names. Using people in the Disco Room and in my region, sepcifically.

Rules:
-Nickname everything you catch
-Catch only the first wild Pokemon on the route (exception for Shinies)
-If a Pokemon faints, it dies
-Battle mode is SET
-No healing items outside of battle
-Can't use Legendaries in Battle

Currently Have:
JCaesar the Marshtomp
RocketPSI the Swablu
Mow the Numel
Toaster the Machoke
Jungle the Anorith
Ryoko the Gloom

Deaths:
Wiscus the Skitty
Dekku the Sableye

Notables that have been boxed:
Yink the Beautifly
9kplus1 the Mightyena

Forever a Box:
cmart the Magikarp
Azua the Koffing
Frown's Mom the Zubat
John2k4 the Trapinch
Spelt the Sandshrew

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Ah, yeah, I suppose I should post a summary of my run so far myself.

Rules:
- If a Pokémon faints, it dies
- Catch only the first Pokémon encountered in an area (except for shinies)
- Nickname all Pokémon
- No Poké Ball buying
- No healing items outside of battle
- Battling on SET
- No legendaries

------

Trainer: Giles

Party:
- Spike the Blaziken (lv. 42)
- Buffy the Manectric (lv. 46)
- Anya the Exploud (lv. 46)
- Angelus the Anorith (lv. 23) (Training up at the moment)
- Lorne the Gyarados (lv. 43)
- D'Hoffryn the Bagon (lv. 38) (Postponing evolution for early Dragon Claw)

Former Party Members:
- Gunn the Hariyama
- Angel the Beautifly
- Willow the Linoone (Pickup is a beautiful thing, still have 22 Rare Candies stockpiled that I'm saving for the final leveling)
- Wesley the Altaria

Boxed:
- Oz the Zigzagoon
- Riley the Grimer
- Tara the Numel
- Harmony the Spinda
- Joyce the Sandshrew
- Jonathon the Gloom
- Faith the Shuppet
- Dennis the Wailmer
- Andrew the Clamperl
- Amy the Doduo

Slain:
- Doyle the Sealeo

------

How far are you right now, Ulti?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
How do you catch pokemon without buying pokeballs?

Also, you're allowed to heal at the pokecentre right?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
How do you catch pokemon without buying pokeballs?

Also, you're allowed to heal at the pokecentre right?
By just going off of the Poké Balls you get as gifts, the ones you find on the ground, and ones you get from Pickup. It's actually a lot easier than you'd think, at least in RSE.

And yes, I am.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I'm grinding up before the Norman Fight. I am NOT looking forward to having to take on Base 160 Attack AT ALL.

Too Bad I lost Dekku, who would've destroyed Slaking :<

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm grinding up before the Norman Fight. I am NOT looking forward to having to take on Base 160 Attack AT ALL.

Too Bad I lost Dekku, who would've destroyed Slaking :<
Ahh, yeah, Norman's a *****. Even with two fighting Pokémon there this time around, I overtrained both of them for that gym (not that it creates a resistance, but fighting at least guarantees a relatively quick takedown).

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
This sounds like so much fun. Im going to do it.

Should I use Ruby,Sapphire or Emerald?
Yeah, Nuzlockes are a lot of fun, though losing Pokémon can be pretty disheartening at times, haha. As for which game, they're all pretty good to Nuzlocke from what I understand, but I've only ever tried Sapphire. As I recall, Emerald is more difficult than the other two, so it's probably better to start with Ruby or Sapphire, but maybe somebody who's tried Nuzlocking Emerald can give better perspective on that.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I was a Beautifuly? :3 Thanks Ulti.
Me and my typos ;-;

I wish I didn't have to box you though, you got to be my first catch in a Nuzlocke.

I knew I'd lose you if I kept you in my team much longer, though. Beautifly just can't stand up against the challenge. So Box rather than having you certainly die somewhere in the E4 :<

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think when I get to the E4 is going to be the hardest part. Cause like, if you straight up lose a battle, bye bye whole team. Im gunna try Emerald though.
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about now, and why it's taking me so long to even go through Victory Road with all my preparations. I literally have the entire Elite Four planned out, down to the Pokémon. I planned out what moves I need on each Pokémon to be able to handle the Elite Four without pitting anybody against a Pokémon that could get a super-effective hit on them, which was partially because I gave Shadow Ball to my Linoone at the 7th gym before realizing that Linoone really isn't E4 material, and I don't want to waste any more good TMs.

If my entire team dies in the Elite Four, even though I have a decent stockpile in my boxes, I'm honestly probably going to just restart or move to a different game to nuzlocke. I don't think I have the heart to try that all over again.

Bing

Smash Master
Im trying to think ahead of who I should use... I'd be okay with all three starters, though Blaziken or Swampert would probably be the better options, though I love Sceptile :p hmm...

Bing

Smash Master
Okay so upon further Receive I've decided I want to go with something like this.

Sceptile
Torkoal
Tentacruel/Gyarados
Linoone(Pink up)
Electrode
Swellow
Absol/Hariyama

I listed 7 because I dont plan on raising Linoone other then for Pick up purposes.

If possible I'd rather
-Absol +Dusclops/Banette
-Swellow +Altaria

Also should I maybe consider Zangoose over Absol/Hariyama?
Or maybe even a Ninjask/Shedinja?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You don't really get to choose your team in a Nuzlocke

Bing

Smash Master
-_-

Im saying I like being able to plan my team for the long run. Obviously there are circumstances that will change this.

(Ill probably end up just having Sceptile/6)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You will probably not get a single one of those as a first wild encounter now :p

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Do people normally play these with species clauses?

Also, if you already have 6 pokes, do you still catch other pokes and then box the crap ones and use the good ones?

:phone:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Species clause is USUALLY not in Nuzlockes. It makes it easier when it's supposed to be hard.

And yes, I catch whatever comes up. Never know when suddenly someone faints and you need a replacement. Not killing that random tentacool could be what saves your *** from getting stuck without a surfer or something.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
So do you only switch in boxed pokes when something faints, or can you do it simply for tactical purposes?

:phone:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I'm gonna post a log for my nuzlocke here as well. Not very far at all yet xD.
Pokemon Ruby!

Rules:
~Regular two.
~Nickname theme is out the window. **** creativity!
~No evolving!
~Species Clause. I'm a nuzlocke forum member, and most of those nuzlockes go with species clause, so I almost always use it. Sorry @_@.
~Shiny Clause. I catch shinies!
~No pokeball clause. If you run into a pokemon on the first two routes, tough luck.
~RNG Clause. After each major battle (Magma/Aqua boss, Rival, Gym Leader), I swap one pokemon from my box onto my team and one pokemon from my team to my box. Both are chosen through RNG. They can not be removed from the box/team until after the next major battle. Only applies if I have a full team.

That's it I think.

So far:
Treecko Lv.16
Taillow Lv.16
Whismur Lv.16

Box:
Shroomish Lv.13

Dead:
Zigzagoon Can't remember level I released it at.

Badges: 0

PFFFFT Ran into Whismur on route 116. WELP...

Yeah, Nuzlockes are a lot of fun, though losing Pokémon can be pretty disheartening at times, haha. As for which game, they're all pretty good to Nuzlocke from what I understand, but I've only ever tried Sapphire. As I recall, Emerald is more difficult than the other two, so it's probably better to start with Ruby or Sapphire, but maybe somebody who's tried Nuzlocking Emerald can give better perspective on that.
Emerald is way more difficult without species clause because Poochyena is WAY less useful. You have no idea how worthless Poochyena are in a nuzlocke. So worthless @_@. With Species clause, they're pretty much the same lol.

White and Black are the hardest to nuzlocke by far. Good luck grinding on non Tabunne lol.

Edit: Crap... Dgames makes me forget that I can't double post... is it possible to merge the two posts? ._.'

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I am doing an Emerald Nuzlocke without species clause, and look at my team.

It's doing fine ._.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, I'm not fond of the idea of a B/W Nuzlocke because of the bloody experience adjustment they did in fifth gen. Assuming I manage to successfully Nuzlocke Sapphire, I wouldn't mind trying another gen, though I haven't really decided which to do yet. It'll feel weird playing either of the first two gens right after playing third gen just because of the large differences, but I'm not a huge fan of fourth gen, and fifth gen is difficult to Nuzlocke. (I also just finished normally playing through White a few weeks back, not sure I want to play it again so soon after.)

Anyway, current progress...still grinding at the beginning of Victory Road. I intended to get everyone to at least mid-40s before going through Victory Road, and once I got there I started moving forward a bit and found the trainers were more difficult than I'd anticipated...so now I'm aiming for everybody at 50. Last thing I want to do is lose any piece of my well-planned team on the way to the Elite Four. I do at least have everyone fully evolved -- I have an Armaldo and a Salamence now -- but damn is grinding a pain. I have 24 Rare Candies -- 4 for each Pokémon -- but I really want to save those until I'm at a decent level and cannot bring myself to train anymore rather than wasting them early.

EDIT: Just got through Victory Road. I swear to God, I was a bit concerned Wally might be a problem, but his Gardevoir gave me one of the biggest scares of my entire run. I decided to heal D'Hoffryn the Salamence before taking on it, just in case Gardevoir could've been stronger than anticipated. I can't remember how exactly the battle went, but after I got him down a bit below half HP and he started actually attacking, a hit from Psychic put every Pokémon I put out in such a position that a second hit could have knocked them out. Worse yet, when I had a chance for a hit with Angelus the Armaldo, Ancientpower missed (thanks to Double Team), Psychic did a decent amount of damage, and then a Future Sight I'd forgotten about hit.

When the game said that I was taking the attack, my heart probably skipped a beat. Thankfully, Angelus survived at a meager 10HP and I was able to switch him out for Anyanka the Exploud, and another Future Sight allowed me to get in a Stomp which landed and knocked that thing out. I never really thought Wally was intimidating at all, so it kind of worries me that I was put in such a predicament by him even with all of my Pokémon at least five levels above Gardevoir. I certainly have much more training to do on my Pokémon before I'm E4-ready, but I'm now somewhat concerned that my team's defenses are not up to par, and that's going to pose a problem given that I'm going by the SET rule and some Pokémon are going to have to take hits.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I am doing an Emerald Nuzlocke without species clause, and look at my team.

It's doing fine ._.
You're also beyond the point in the game where poochyena ruin everything ever, plus luck played a major part. You haven't had that nuzlocke where routes 101-104, petalburg woods, and route 116 were all Poochyena. I've had one that was very similar (only catch that wasn't poochyena was a lotad on 102 that died, and an Abra on 116 that teleported away), so I basically had to take on the 1st gym with a Combusken >_>'. You can get screwed out of so much team diversity early game, and it's basically more grinding you have to do because of it (unless you want to raise a team of poochyena that will probably all be boxed by the 3rd-4th gym, and aren't useful at all before that point (or after)). Of course, that's a ton of bad luck on my part, but you had very good luck. It can go either way lol.

Yeah, I'm not fond of the idea of a B/W Nuzlocke because of the bloody experience adjustment they did in fifth gen. Assuming I manage to successfully Nuzlocke Sapphire, I wouldn't mind trying another gen, though I haven't really decided which to do yet. It'll feel weird playing either of the first two gens right after playing third gen just because of the large differences, but I'm not a huge fan of fourth gen, and fifth gen is difficult to Nuzlocke. (I also just finished normally playing through White a few weeks back, not sure I want to play it again so soon after.)
I'd suggest Crystal. Can be very easy or very difficult depending on the starter, the catches aren't half bad, and it's quite interesting. Heart Gold/Soul silver for obvious alternatives.

Anyway, current progress...still grinding at the beginning of Victory Road. I intended to get everyone to at least mid-40s before going through Victory Road, and once I got there I started moving forward a bit and found the trainers were more difficult than I'd anticipated...so now I'm aiming for everybody at 50. Last thing I want to do is lose any piece of my well-planned team on the way to the Elite Four. I do at least have everyone fully evolved -- I have an Armaldo and a Salamence now -- but damn is grinding a pain. I have 24 Rare Candies -- 4 for each Pokémon -- but I really want to save those until I'm at a decent level and cannot bring myself to train anymore rather than wasting them early.
Good luck if you're grinding to just level 50 (unless the levels are lower than I recall). I'd suggest using those rare candies to get to level 60, but that's just me haha.

EDIT: Just got through Victory Road. I swear to God, I was a bit concerned Wally might be a problem, but his Gardevoir gave me one of the biggest scares of my entire run. I decided to heal D'Hoffryn the Salamence before taking on it, just in case Gardevoir could've been stronger than anticipated. I can't remember how exactly the battle went, but after I got him down a bit below half HP and he started actually attacking, a hit from Psychic put every Pokémon I put out in such a position that a second hit could have knocked them out. Worse yet, when I had a chance for a hit with Angelus the Armaldo, Ancientpower missed (thanks to Double Team), Psychic did a decent amount of damage, and then a Future Sight I'd forgotten about hit.

When the game said that I was taking the attack, my heart probably skipped a beat. Thankfully, Angelus survived at a meager 10HP and I was able to switch him out for Anyanka the Exploud, and another Future Sight allowed me to get in a Stomp which landed and knocked that thing out. I never really thought Wally was intimidating at all, so it kind of worries me that I was put in such a predicament by him even with all of my Pokémon at least five levels above Gardevoir. I certainly have much more training to do on my Pokémon before I'm E4-ready, but I'm now somewhat concerned that my team's defenses are not up to par, and that's going to pose a problem given that I'm going by the SET rule and some Pokémon are going to have to take hits.
Your team doesn't seem to be bad defense wise when coming to BST... underleveled is always bad, though. Do you think that's your problem?

Bing

Smash Master
Okay so let me get this straight. Your team is solely based on the first pokemon in every route? So if you decide you want an absol in Fortree and you walk into the grass and get a Linoone, tough ****?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'd suggest Crystal. Can be very easy or very difficult depending on the starter, the catches aren't half bad, and it's quite interesting. Heart Gold/Soul silver for obvious alternatives.
That's not a bad idea, though Crystal's a bit iffy for Nuzlocking to me just because I've never actually played through it normally. (I never got Crystal as a kid, only Gold, and once I finally got a copy and replaced the internal battery, I didn't have the drive to try to play through it anymore.) I'll definitely consider it, though. And I did forget about HG/SS, that is an option.

Good luck if you're grinding to just level 50 (unless the levels are lower than I recall). I'd suggest using those rare candies to get to level 60, but that's just me haha.
I think Wally's Gardevoir (lv 45) was the highest Pokémon in there, so I figured it would be good enough, and it pretty much was save for a bit of poison trouble with a trainer near the beginning and with Wally's Gardevoir. 60 would've been a better goal to be completely safe, but might've been a bit extreme just for Victory Road.

Your team doesn't seem to be bad defense wise when coming to BST... underleveled is always bad, though. Do you think that's your problem?
Again, I didn't think under-leveling was the problem, but maybe I should've aimied higher for Victory Road. In any case, I was initially going for ~58 (the level of Steven's Metagross) before I tackled the E4, but even though I actually have my team planned out to take on the E4, I'm still concerned and am probably going to go for a minimum of 60 before I apply Rare Candies (4 each at the moment, so it'll be about level 64 for each Pokémon.) I'm going for a higher level for Anyanka, though, because I'm depending on her Ice Beam to take out Drake. I may also go for higher levels for others that I'm depending on to do a tough job with Steven.

Okay so let me get this straight. Your team is solely based on the first pokemon in every route? So if you decide you want an absol in Fortree and you walk into the grass and get a Linoone, tough ****?
Precisely. It kind of sucks, but that's part of the challenge of the run. It does also force you to use Pokémon you might not have used otherwise, which is kind of neat.

EDIT: I mean, if you honestly just want to go for the rule where you treat fainting like death, then that's up to you, but it's not a Nuzlocke since that's one of the two required rules for a Nuzlocke run. It's also a bit pointless because then you could just go back and get another Pokémon to replace the one you lose (except for one-time Pokémon).

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
That's exactly it. We all put rules in the posts we made, did you not see those? lol

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I think Wally's Gardevoir (lv 45) was the highest Pokémon in there, so I figured it would be good enough, and it pretty much was save for a bit of poison trouble with a trainer near the beginning and with Wally's Gardevoir. 60 would've been a better goal to be completely safe, but might've been a bit extreme just for Victory Road.

Again, I didn't think under-leveling was the problem, but maybe I should've aimied higher for Victory Road. In any case, I was initially going for ~58 (the level of Steven's Metagross) before I tackled the E4, but even though I actually have my team planned out to take on the E4, I'm still concerned and am probably going to go for a minimum of 60 before I apply Rare Candies (4 each at the moment, so it'll be about level 64 for each Pokémon.) I'm going for a higher level for Anyanka, though, because I'm depending on her Ice Beam to take out Drake. I may also go for higher levels for others that I'm depending on to do a tough job with Steven.
Oh, I read it wrong. I thouhgt you wanted to be level 50 at the E4 lol. Yeah, 50 woulda been fine for Victory Road haha. 64 pretty much seals your deal for success as long as you play it smart. I wish you the best of luck! ^_^.

Bing

Smash Master
That's exactly it. We all put rules in the posts we made, did you not see those? lol

I was just making sure.

So its, Catch the first pokemon in every route(Shinies excluded).
No healing outside of battle (Healing houses and Pokemon Centers excluded)
Nickname everything.
No purchasing Pokeballs right?
Faints it dies
etc etc.

Just went back and read the list Ulti posted.

Also I think playing a Nuzlocke of a game you dont know would be incredibly interesting, which is why Im going to do Crystal after Emerald because I've never played Crystal(okay I lied, I got the emulator and went to the first gym)

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
No.

The only two official rules are:

Catch the first pokemon you find in every route. If you don't catch it, tough ****. After the first pokemon you see (unless species clause), you may not catch anything else you see on that route.
If a pokemon faints, it's considered dead and you have to release it or permanently box it.

All of the other rules are optional. Common optional rules are:

Nickname Errthang.
No healing items inside of battle
No healing items outside of battle
Repeat/Species clause
Pokeball clause
No buying items
No pokemon centres
SET battling instead of SHIFT
Must kill all legendaries you fight
etcetcetc

There are a lot more, but I can't remember them atm lol.

You can use a few of them, one of them, all of them, none of them, whatever you want.

Bing

Smash Master
To anyone who does no healing inside/ouside of battle and no Pokemon centers, I bid them goodluck.

I shall do...
the obvious 2 (faints it dies and catch every route)
No Legendaries (Might still try to catch, but doubt)
Pokeball
Healing Outside of Battle
Pokemon Center

Whats theRepeat/ Species Clause btw? :S

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
means you can go for multiple tries on a route if you already have the Pokemon that you first see.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Repeat/Species Clause:

You can't catch dupes. Want to replace that Swablu that you killed? Tough ****. You can't catch another one on Route 115. What about that pickup slave you sacrificed to get past the first gym (Zigzagoon)? No more pickup for you!

Make sense?

Pokeball clause is this:

If you see a pokemon on the first two routes (at the time when you have no pokeballs), then you can't catch anything on those two routes.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Oh, I read it wrong. I thouhgt you wanted to be level 50 at the E4 lol. Yeah, 50 woulda been fine for Victory Road haha. 64 pretty much seals your deal for success as long as you play it smart. I wish you the best of luck! ^_^.
Ah, yeah, level 50 for the E4 would be a really bad decision, haha. Thanks! Hopefully I can finish my grinding soon and actually see how it ends up playing out.

Also I think playing a Nuzlocke of a game you dont know would be incredibly interesting, which is why Im going to do Crystal after Emerald because I've never played Crystal(okay I lied, I got the emulator and went to the first gym)
Yeah, the thought's occurred to me as well...I think it's more that I don't want to change my first experience with the game by making my first run a Nuzlocke rather than the challenging piece of it.

Whats theRepeat/ Species Clause btw? :S
That's the rule that, if the first Pokémon you encounter on a route is one you've already caught, it doesn't count as your first encounter.

Bing

Smash Master
Ive only playing threw Emerald once or twice, but I've gone threw Ruby like a billion times(I love Ruby <3)

Im looking forward to starting this tonight.

So Im going to add Species Clause to my list. (no Pokecenters and no healing outside of battle should handicap me enough XD)

Top Bottom