• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The future of Melee (who's going to take over?)

Eggm

Smash Hero
Melee isn't going anywhere just because hbox is winning tournaments thats even worse than inui logic. People were still stupid hyped during all the matches that happened before that and were more than entertained by new characters/players for hours on end. 98% of the community doesn't care who gets the money since they aren't planning on winning anyway so we'll just give hbox the money hype the other matches and consider them the finals.

I haven't personally given up on beating hbox at all. And i'm sure a lot of other players feel the same way. I fear m2k/mango way more than hbox in a set and can't wait to get my next shot at him i haven't gotten to play him since herb 2. I was sitting down watching mango/hbox player a series of like 4 MM's on saturday and mango won all of them but 1 with a combination of fox/falco. I was studying what his fox was doing to beat hbox and it didn't seem impossible for me to replicate. The way m2k was playing the matchup in WF's wasn't good IMO I think a good fox can do it.

Also IMO melee is more entertaining in its current day than it was back in 07/08 when m2k was dominating with marth and only sheik/marth/fox were viable characters. Top 8 were always like 2 foxes 3 marths and 3 sheiks or something. Next finals were 4 foxes 2 sheiks 2 marths and all of which secondaried a fox or marth or sheik. Top 8 at apex were like. 1 Jiggs 1 peach 1 marth 1 ic's 1 falco 1 pikachu 1 fox all different characters. Makes the game more dynamic and fun to watch. The game just keeps on evolving no matter how old it gets which to me is more exciting than anything regardless of who is winning the national tournaments.

Anyone who thinks mango isn't the best anymore is absolutely delusional. I was going to write why but I don't even have to.

Taj wobbles and axe were all inspiring and almost makes me wish i still lived in AZ (not really I hated that state (not the smashers)). Axe was moving so fast that he made moves like pikachu's angled tilts viable moves... thats truly inspiring and makes you realize there are so many things you can be good at in melee that nearly any character is viable as long as you get good enough at the game. Similar stuff with taj's m2 and wobbles IC's.

Lastly i'm more inspired than ever to bring fox back to the top its been since like late 06 early 07 since fox has won a national tournament (PC chris at oc3 maybe?) That's too **** long.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
hmmm Maybe your right eggm. *concedes*

Although I think M2K, Ken, even Mango's matches were entertaining. I never felt like I wanted my money back after. Perhaps Hbox should pick up a secondary like Falcon. It's impossible to be boring with Falcon LOL. If he loses he can always switch to puff anyway so idk it wouldn't be bad.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
thats even worse than inui logic.
Yeah, people need to stop that janx. D:< That's like saying "I'm going to go scissors in RPS and always win! Paper beats rock, and scissors beats paper, so scissors beat everything!"

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Yeah, people need to stop that janx. D:< That's like saying "I'm going to go scissors in RPS and always win! Paper beats rock, and scissors beats paper, so scissors beat everything!"
Thats terrible analogy but I see what you are trying to say. Jigglypuff is More like Mike Tyson during his unbeatable phase.

scrapecity

Smash Journeyman
wait how does this go agianst anything that i said? this is what im saying, armada wouldve beaten mango in tournament despite losing to hbox. saying that mango->armada because hbox->armada is ******** inui logic.

the fact that mango wasnt willing to play armada in a mm but WAS willing to play hbox in a mm after the tournament further supports what i'm saying. mango was scared to lose to armada. thats also why he sandbagged and lolled around in the tournament (so he wouldnt have to face armada)
actually mango money matched all the "good" players after and armada didn't come play

DESTRUCTION!!

And he didn't lolled around the tourney he was hungover

Kanelol

Smash Lord
mango > armada

sry

in unrelated news, Hbox is gonna be the Ken of 2010, dominate for a few years, then get ****ed up

Pengie

Smash Lord
Naw man Armada's so good he's got a losing record against Mango in tourney sets but he's still better :laugh:.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
lololol @ MikeHaggarTHAKJB
ummm do you really have any basis for thinking that Armada is better than Mango???
1. Mango won Genesis... Armada didnt
2. Mango won Pound 4... Armada didnt
3. Mango suked d!ck at Apex... Armada still couldnt win... he lost to the "GAY" puff...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
mikehaggar needs to get off armada's ****
armada's really good. i really couldn't give two ****s if he is better than mango. he still isn't going to win an international tourney.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
i 2 and 3 stocked falcomist last weekend in marth ditto money match all 3 games. I think Marth is very overrated, and gets combo-***** by too many characters. Falcon playing properly ***** Marth, and Sheik owns him too. I think Falco played properly has the advantage against Marth too unless Marth successfully powershields almost every laser. Also, Jigglypuff's planking is almost unbeatable vs a lot of characters, especially fast fallers. The best 2 jiggs refuse to use that tactic though, which is why it will never be recognized as as broken as it actually is. If there was a tournament in Melee for a million dollars, then you guys might see how dumb it really is. I am probably not entering Apex since I think I will get ***** because I will have to switch games at the same time (at least at Pound4 I got to play only Melee before playing Brawl except for pools) and all that will do is hurt my Brawl game, but if I decide on that being the case, I might just buy Mango's ticket myself so that there is a good Melee tourney to watch still.
I wish I could have played you at Apex but I don't know how you look like LOL.

nando, jesiah, tag, drpp, and hbox will become the new players to beat
true, I wonder what I NEED to do to get better... besides staying on the ground...

my sheik ***** :(

mango is a lot better than you guys think. I think he is still definitely the highest level of melee
Yeah I think it is understood that he CAN **** anyone at will, but the WILL part is missing... He needs motivation (a better player than him)... But that's alot of work for us to do...

ALSO I want to be the best... xD

And before I can ever accomplish that I need to play Skyler.

also eggmm I'm inspired as well... Although at the same time Im kinda sad that I can't improve fast enough without always wasting money regularly for smash... I told my friend Kurt and others that I wanted to retire but here I am still getting a little better bit by bit and so I want to keep goin LOL. Maybe I should go to your next tournament, eggm. : D

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
so i was thinking to myself what ever hapened to VBM?
then i saw mikehaggars posts

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
well melee aint dying

just at how heating at this thread is

if it was dying no one would give a **** if hbox won

i dont blame mango if he don't wanna play no more

**** idk if i would play if everyone was FREE

i think the only thing that keeps mango playing is the people, cuz he got alot of friends in this community, otherwise he woulda pulled the ken and just DIPPED!

armada dominated mango. and yet somehow people think that mango wouldve undoubtedly won.
people are ****ing *******.
bruh really???

that **** makes no sense LOOOL

how do you dominate someone and lose???? WTF LOOLLL

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I really don't see why that would be a reason for people to quit. If anything that should fuel the fire for more people to get better. Like I said, are people really going to let Juan just walk away with being the best player in the world because of how he plays?

Again I don't know about you but any time I feel like I trained hard and then get curbstomped (which isn't that rare in FL, I always seem to get Colin/Juan in my side of the bracket >_>) That makes me want to train even harder. May be it's just me that can't stand losing and uses it as a drive to get better :dizzy:. As for everyone growing up, that's a natural cause of time my friend. You can't expect everyone to stay around and have to accept that people will move on for whatever reason.

The whole hypeless grand finals thing at P4 leading to a drop in attendence at Apex is a steaming load of shit. I don't think I saw one person ever say that P4 grands affected their decision to go to Apex. It's all about money. I know for a fact that after P4 most FL smashers didn't make it to Apex due to money being an issue. I know we all want giant megatournies happening every week but it just can't happen. even when spaced as far apart as Apex and Pound 4 you have to consider that other tournaments will happen as well as semi large regional tournaments that will put a drain on people's wallets.

I don't know you might want to waste your time because you enjoy the game and the community, but that's just me.
You are right, Pengie. I of course will still be playing the game (I'm a doc that played you down in Wato 5, you probably don't remember me) and hope to be able to beat even hbox. I have only been playing since 07 but am only improving slowly. Although I think, that when say playing a jiggs, it's a TON of work to not get hit by her and then be gimped. (me being a doc) I can see that one would need the PATIENCE and the STRONG MINDSET to beat Hbox, or maybe ton's more of things to beat him. If someone like spam can't stand campers, then of course him and others like him might quit. The people that CAN take that, and do the same BACK, might have a chance. ;p

But I just hope that you keep on keeping on, keep improving. Your falco was good when I played it, and I"m sure it's even better now. : D

I also went to Apex, and will KEEP going to tournies. If I ever retire, it would be for MONEY reasons, not for people. Plus, Hbox is a really cool guy, I wish I could play him more too.

and I won't WALK away from Hbox. I'd put my very best (and I'd still get pwnd lol)

Not talking about *****ing. I mean can you possibly imagine the amount of work it takes to get for some players to get as good as they have? Those same players are 2-0 or 3-0'd as if they are scrubs. It's 2010 soon to be 2011. Most players are growing up/grown up and can't afford to pay money forever. If you consider the drop from Pound 4 to Apex in terms of people that came it's kinda obvious the effect that Pound 4 had. If GF's is hypeless at ROM3 and Pound 5 I can't see melee building itself back up again. It's not a ***** thing its more of a why waste my time thing.

Look a it this way If you trained in Isolation with the best 5 players with a character(any character) and become the best with whomever it is and Someone else did the exact same thing with Puff. And those two players played Puff wins.
well flashy isn't effecient. If someone got 3'od even though they did tons of work, it just means they need to to some MORE work. OMG dude for me as a doc I just noticed it takes so much running around and **** and BEING gay (with pills) to beat a puff. I want to play more puffs and get better at the match up hehe.

But yeah stop complaining. Jiggs can be beat, you just gotta be patient enough. (MORE PATIENT THAN HER) I just wish I had the skill to be able to do SOMETHING.

But as for now it's back to the practice room...

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I definitely saw Mango's Fox getting the **** off all over Armada in friendlies, idk what you're talking about

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
i meant that armada dominated mango in the friendlies they played (the ones that where streamed atleast)
and armada never lost to mango this tournament so idk wtf youre saying
hahaha my bad

im talking about when they play in general (im not saying mango whoops his *** or nothing, he just like barely wins and ****, but still.. hahaha)

<3 armada, he's really amazing at melee

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
LMAO tell that to Dtilt to charged upsmash starting at like 90%. ****ing ***** fox, falco and falcon.

It ****ing kills omg gayyyyy. It looks like stomp to falcon punch, but its a consistent setup.

You can also do some turnip(comes from above) to weak dash attack into upsmash. still mad gay.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if you're joking or not but the dtilt to charge up smash doesn't work on fast fallers at all if they DI.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Im completely aware they can DI left/right.

Crazy thing is, you can DI joggz upthrow left/right.

they both can connect. they both do connect. Im telling you **** is legit. That dtilt charged upsmash looks hella broken lmao.

just look at how far they go up and come down, and they are stunned the entire time. try it about 90%. pretty much kills on FD.

fyi, Im not saying you cant get out of it by DIing. Im,saying if you miss the DI on a quick move like that, or it comes as a surprise.....ur ****ed.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
LOL. probably not. Ive just seen it used very well. I dont know when the input was pressed but it didnt look like it took a long time once the move started or whatever.

I apologies for the bull****.

either way, that combo is still mad ****.

LOL If Mango didn't try in tournament, what makes you think hes going to try in friendlies? Illogical *** *****. Wtf kinda ***** judges from friendlies?

-Eggz

distraction

Smash Cadet
i agree with MikeHaggarTHAKJB. armada is clearly on an other level than mango is. and friendlies on apex showed how superior armada was.
also the results from pound 4 were too long ago and dont count anymore because armada constantly steps up his game.
he also ***** with kirby

armada > ... > armadas kirby > mango > hbox

SDC

Smash Lord
i agree with MikeHaggarTHAKJB. armada is clearly on an other level than mango is. and friendlies on apex showed how superior armada was.
also the results from pound 4 were too long ago and dont count anymore because armada constantly steps up his game.
he also ***** with kirby

armada > ... > armadas kirby > mango > hbox
Troll detected. Too obvious. My advice, throw in some subtlety next time. Be like "Armada is just as good as mango, and definitely better then Hbox", that atleast would have given me some lolz

distraction

Smash Cadet
Troll detected. Too obvious. My advice, throw in some subtlety next time. Be like "Armada is just as good as mango, and definitely better then Hbox", that atleast would have given me some lolz
thats my opinion and if you cant live with that shut up. you havent seen armadas kirby yet. too ****ing ****

Top Bottom