• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Forest Master Rises! Sceptile for Smash Bros! Over 100 supporters!!!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Still, in terms of any potential 3rd generation reps, Blaziken would be ranked higher than Sceptile, thanks to its mega evolution.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
The remakes are coming out in six months so I think it's reasonable to assume that they have a lot of work poured into them already. X/Y were announced eleven months ahead of release.

Given that this is GameFreak we're talking about, the Roy card (putting in a character who's game hasn't been released yet) is a very realistic possibility in my opinion. GameFreak have always been big on advertising the biggest and important Pokemon that are currently relevant and, importantly, Sceptile's games will be relevant when the Wii U version comes out at around the same time as AR and OS.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Still, in terms of any potential 3rd generation reps, Blaziken would be ranked higher than Sceptile, thanks to its mega evolution.
Sure. We could always use two fire starters and two (or 3) Captain Falcons to balance this game out. Because there's no chance Sceptile will recieve a mega evolution in the new game. That would be crazy...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sure. We could always use two fire starters and two (or 3) Captain Falcons to balance this game out. Because there's no chance Sceptile will recieve a mega evolution in the new game. That would be crazy...
Ever consider that the 3rd generation remakes won't utilize mega evolution at all? Hoenn doesn't know anything about mega evolution, last I've checked.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
People with Diddy Kong avatars are the smartest.

Take it from me.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Ever consider that the 3rd generation remakes won't utilize mega evolution at all? Hoenn doesn't know anything about mega evolution, last I've checked.
The Pokemon Company International said:
Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire are a fresh take on Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire,
Fresh take usually implies that they change some things along the way so it's pretty likely that mega evolution will be accommodated.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Sinnoh didn't even exist in Gold and Silver, but characters from there appear in the remakes. That archipelago was added in FireRed and LeafGreen too.

Retcons are fully possible, so Mega-Evolution can be added to the remakes.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Fresh take usually implies that they change some things along the way so it's pretty likely that mega evolution will be accommodated.
If so, only expect to see Mega Latias and Mega Latios, since they're the only unconfirmed mega evolutions to exist in X/Y. Otherwise, some major updates would have to be implemented onto the X and Y versions.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Which would take take away from Blaziken's current advantage. I can't honestly see them not using megas, considering the games will likely be compatible with X and Y and Groudon and Kyorge look almost as if they are in new forms on the box art.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Blaziken would be a Muay Thai fighter man.

A MUAY THAI FIGHTER. F ninjas and dragonsfire breathing fat lizards.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If so, only expect to see Mega Latias and Mega Latios, since they're the only unconfirmed mega evolutions to exist in X/Y. Otherwise, some major updates would have to be implemented onto the X and Y versions.
That doesn't have to be true. I think it would be EXTREMELY unfair and unbalanced if Blaziken would be the only starter to Mega Evolve.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I honestly always liked Swampert the best and I think Blaziken would be cool as hell because he can get a muay thai moveset to Smash despite being my least favorite, but Sceptile is really cool too.

Any gen 3 rep is a-ok with me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That doesn't have to be true. I think it would be EXTREMELY unfair and unbalanced if Blaziken would be the only starter to Mega Evolve.
Hence why I've mentioned about updating the X and Y versions. Patches would have to be made so that the X and Y versions can support the mega evolutions that previously didn't exist.

Edit: On an additional note, a new thread was made for the Ruby and Sapphire remakes.

http://smashboards.com/threads/354637

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Mega Blaziken wouldn't be that good of an advertisement for these games though, since it was confirmed and promoted for X & Y. To max promotion for these new games it's best to choose something fresh, and while we won't know for sure if Sceptile will be used a lot for promotion until later I think it's fairly safe to say that he will. Of course this would require a patch to add new content to X & Y if Mega Sceptile is to ever exist, but that'll be necessary anyways just looking at Groudon and Kyogre's new forms (Mega or not) and is very possible to do with the 3DS being as strong a system as it is, so no worries on that front.

Do I believe Sceptile has a great chance now? Not necessarily, there are already tons of other possible Pokémon contestants in Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Squirtle and Ivysaur. Perhaps if DLC becomes a thing for this game though. I'd still love the **** out of playable Sceptile regardless of course.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wouldn't be surprised if Mega Sceptile actually held a REAL Leaf Blade as a sort of weapon. At the very least, I expect a way rougher design. Probably thorn manes? Rougher teeth. A tail made out of thorns and nettles? A leaner, more muscular body. And of course, way bigger and sharper looking 'arm blades'.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The activity in the this thread reminds me a lot of the increase in the Rosalina support thread after people found out she would be playable in 3D World.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
The activity in the this thread reminds me a lot of the increase in the Rosalina support thread after people found out she would be playable in 3D World.

And then what happened?

Spoiler: Rosalina got made playable.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This whole thing reminds me of when Isabelle was confirmed to be an assist and everyone thought Tom Nook would be playable.

And then what happened?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In regards to the mega evolution discussion.

I think we can safely assume that they are back and that a couple new pokemon will be getting a mega evolution if the different designs of Groudon and Kyogre is anything to go by.

So I can totally see Sceptile (and Swampert) getting one in these remakes.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
That would be true if it was a straight remake. However they're making it sound like a sequel in the trailer.

If it's a sequel all bets are off.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I support this fully! Sceptile and Lucario are my favorite Pokemon, I would die of happiness if he got in as well :D

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Well the evolutionary line of Treecko, Grovyle and Sceptile has always been advertised from the beginning, from the start Ash in the main Anime was his 3rd generation starter, and Grovyle has been one of the main characters in the Pokemon Ranger games (correct me if I´m wrong)? So at least it seems Game Freak has pushed this Pokemon, not in the levels of Blaziken but at least one of the most prominent starters and even you can say the main creature from the grass starters.

By the way I support Sceptile, I would be glad if he replaced Jigglypuff or Mewtwo.

.n_n.

HeroG

Smash Apprentice
I think this really shows his chances. I wasn't expecting the remake to come out until after Z. Sceptile and Swampert will 100% get mega evolution. I was thinking maybe Grovyle but i think Sceptile is a shoe in. If anything hes more likely then Mewtwo. Put me on the list!

@ Zhadgon Zhadgon Grovyle was a main Character in The Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Games (Darkness/Time/Sky) and treeko was playable in all accept the 3ds one (which should be ignored at all costs it was kinda awful)

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
They're probably just gonna retcon mega evolutions into the Hoenn story like they did for that Pokemon Origins bit.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
In regards to the mega evolution discussion.

I think we can safely assume that they are back and that a couple new pokemon will be getting a mega evolution if the different designs of Groudon and Kyogre is anything to go by.

So I can totally see Sceptile (and Swampert) getting one in these remakes.
These aren't mega evolutions. Groudon and Kyogre have been shown with these glows before. (albeit in a different color)

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I'm in the Sceptile camp so hard right now. He (and Swampert) will get mega-evolutions. 1 starter of each type spanning the generations from I-VI in smash? Confirm it b*****s!

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Should Mystery Dungeon be included in some form, I think Grovyle might almost be better, being carried by his success in Explorers. Also, either could take some of Ivysaur's moves (Bullet seed would be aimable, power whip tether grab because Pikachu can learn skull bash, magical leaf has homing, etc etc) tho I would still prefer Jiggs assuming 5 reps per series.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
These aren't mega evolutions. Groudon and Kyogre have been shown with these glows before. (albeit in a different color)
But not in those configurations. The strips are different in the Alpha and Omega box arts, most notably the strip going back from Kyogre's solid spot, but with significant changes throughout...

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
The glows are different. Look again. Kyogre has a new one on its head and Groudon's are slightly different, but not as noticable as Kyogre's.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
But not in those configurations. The strips are different in the Alpha and Omega box arts, most notably the strip going back from Kyogre's solid spot, but with significant changes throughout...
The glows are different. Look again. Kyogre has a new one on its head and Groudon's are slightly different, but not as noticable as Kyogre's.
But see, only the glowing pattern changed, the actual designs remain intact. That'd be a very underwhelming Mega for two mascots.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
But see, only the glowing pattern changed, the actual designs remain intact. That'd be a very underwhelming Mega for two mascots.
I fail to see how that's underwhelming for a Mega- especially one with so much going on like the Hoenn legendaries. Going from simple to complex is something more Megas do- going from complex to simple could be new to this game.

Top Bottom