• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Forest Master Rises! Sceptile for Smash Bros! Over 100 supporters!!!

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
According to Did You Know Gaming and another interview, Greninja was decided within the roster from the outset, kind of as a concept for a character provided by Gamefreak of sorts. The roster was finalized one year before Pokémon X & Y's announcement. Same logic could be applied to Sceptile here.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
So I ranted a bit. Frustrated. Probably a bit unorganized and long. So I'll compress it to a spoiler.
There's a leak that mentioms Sceptile and Marshtomp being considered and not Blaziken, and that we would get one of them. If true, I would think Chesnaught was considered and ultimately lost out to Greninja. The leak group tends to respond negatively to the idea of Sceptile, saying the trio doesn't need to be represented. That's a completely opinion based statement, and trying to persuade them otherwise isn't worth the time. If Sceptile is in, opinions don't matter.

Leak aside, I think it's likely Sceptile was decided in unison with or even before Greninja, so I would argue that type played a large role on Greninja's selection just as much as it would with Sceptile. I think the type trio means everything. It's the basis of every pokemon game.

Robin's inclusion shows that they want to remain true to the games, and not having the grass starter option would be a diservice to representing what pokemon is. That's what Pokemon Trainer represented and I think they will keep that tribute to the game. I think the trio of starters is just as iconic to the pokemon franchise as Pikachu.

This is my opinion, anyway.

I feel like grass types are practically bullied for being the least popular of the starters. It's not like they would cut a Triforce member for being the least popular. I think it's wrong that we doing have lance and axe characters from FE... I just don't think the game is about popularity, flavor of the year characters are not always Nintendo all stars...

I'm going to end my rant now because nothing we say changes anything about the game. I think we'll get Sceptile. And I'll be right or wrong. If people don't see it, they could be right, I think they'll be wrong. It's okay to disagree.

Anyway. The trio not being revealed all at once is interesting, but I assume that Sceptile being revealed would have spoiled the announcement of OR/AS.

Last edited:

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
How likely is it that Sakurai knew about the Gen 3 remakes as he was deciding the roster? Would everyone agree that's our best chance?

Idk if you played X&Y but there are a lot of hints in the game that they would be making Ruby and Sapphire remakes, I assume they have know they were going to do this for a long time. Possibly before they even started on X and Y.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
No problem @ Reality_Ciak Reality_Ciak I feel for you. All of the Super Smash Bros. games have integrated the flavor & elements required for Pokemon through a stage, pokeball summon, trophy, the storyline(s), & as playable characters. Since Smash64 the type trio Fire Grass & Water have all been implemented throughout each Super Smash Bros. game. It became a reality playing the starter trio be it Kanto, in SSBBrawl. Once again in Sm4sh the type trio is on it's way of being complete being 2/3 complete. All we need is grass & then the 'trifecta' will restore balance to the world will live on.
Those who say the trio means nothing knows nothing about the pattern that's been around since Smash64. Every type in the original pkmn type trio has appeared in one way or another through an element into the games, SSBBrawl finally implemented starters as playable.

Edit: Like this post if you wanna see some cool references for Sceptile in the manga that you don't feel like googling up.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
According to this list, how would Sceptile play? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex:4luigi::
I see his Smash's being easily combo'd so I guess that would classify him as a Juggler. Leaf Blade is his signature attack so I assume a lot of his smashes would be variations of that. But at the same time, some of his potential specials and grabs could be Frenzy Plant, Grass Knot, and Mega Drain could all be considered a bit quirky. I'd say he falls somewhere in between those two categories.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
IMO Zoner = 1st
Ranger = 2nd
Juggler = 3rd
Most characters are a hybrid case & some are actually just one simple play-style. Sceptile having the barely unexplored grass-type for a pokemon in a Super Smash Bros. game is still mysterious & has untapped potential being unique with his/her very own kit but overall no surprise to most, Sceptile would play similar to Marth being a zoner with his move-set. I consider Ranger to be Sceptile's 2nd best play-style due to razor leaf & seed attacks because rangers use their ranged attacks to not only keep their opponents at good distance but also zone them out. Most characters have juggle set-ups such as frame traps & true combo's which was rare in brawl, so I consider that to be the lowest of the three I selected.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Edit: Like this post if you wanna see some cool references for Sceptile in the manga that you don't feel like googling up.
Jmacz likes this.
Here it is Jmacz & anyone else, a story about Emerald's badass & amazing Sceptile that wasn't even his own Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile to start with!

It all started when Ruby (the pokemon trainer character) who was interested in Pokemon Contests that he wanted to start on a journey. He considered the treeco a starter but thought was too ugly to have, rejecting him (Ruby you're a scrub trainer).

Treecko - Grovyle
Professor Birch takes Treecko to give to the selected trainer but loses him due to a tsunami and flood during the battle between Groudon & Kyogre.

Floating in Professor Birch's bag, in his pokéball, Treecko is rescued by Wally who takes him to training in Sky Pillar. Treecko evolves into Grovyle upon being sent out, & broke through the black hole with Leaf Blade, defeating Dusclops in the process saving Wally from the wild Dusclops. From training to suddenly being tasked with the role of awakening Rayquaza, Wally uses Grovyle and Kirlia to awaken Rayquaza. With a powerful Bullet Seed, Grovyle broke through Rayquaza's ozone barrier, awakening it. The impact sent both Wally and Grovyle flying, separating the two.

Grovyle eventually landed on some island, where it quickly evolved into Sceptile. Knocked unconscious & captured by Guile Hideout, the shock of his former past events caused Sceptile to block them out of his memories, but still retains an interest in the Pokédex.

Sceptile
Sceptile later became a Battle Factory rental pkmn eventually found by Emerald in his battle against Noland. Upon being sent out, Sceptile went on a rampage attacking Emerald, but manages to calm Sceptile down with his E Shooter bringing it back under his control, proceeding with the battle using Sceptile to beat Noland's Golem AND his Glalie. Emerald decided to keep Sceptile as he finds out that it was level 51, knowing that rental pokemon are only level 50.

During Battle Pyramid, Emerald used Sceptile against Brandon's Regirock, getting the upper hand by absorbing Regirock's health with Leech Seed, but greatly damaged by Explosion. When Emerald's other Pokémon are defeated, Sceptile is used to defeat Brandon's Regice with a super effective Iron Tail. When Brandon asks how Sceptile came back, Emerald revealed that he used a Revive on Sceptile when Brandon got distracted.

During the Battle Dome challenge, Sceptile is used to advance Emerald throughout the tournament. Eventually, it goes up against Ruby's Feefee in the semifinal round. Frozen by a powerful Blizzard Sceptile regains his lost memories giving it the strength to break through the icy prison & defeats Feefee claimnig Emerald the victor! With its memories returned, Sceptile began attacking Ruby, as he was furious over when Ruby called Mumu better than it in terms of appearance.

When Emerald learns that Guile Hideout captured Jirachi, Emerald left Sceptile, Sudowoodo, and Dusclops to battle Spenser by THEMSELVES to go face Guile. Later, Latios returns Emerald's Pokémon with the Spirits Symbol they had won in the battle.

During the final battle with Guile, Emerald is given one of the bangles possessed by Ultima & with it he teaches Sceptile the ultimate Grass-type move Frenzy Plant. With the power of Frenzy Plant, Sceptile teams up with the Pokémon of the nine other Pokédex holders to destroy Guile's monster Kyogre with a powerful Frenzy Plant +Blast Burn + Hydro Cannon + Volt Tackle combination.

Known moves Sceptile used in the Manga:

• Leaf Blade
  • Bullet Seed
  • Detect
  • Leech Seed
  • Iron Tail
  • Body Slam
  • Focus Punch
  • Frenzy Plant
FRENZY PLANT! HYPE

WTF vines DO come from his seeds! Sakurai are you watching?!

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'm not sure if this was brought up. But did Sakurai accidentally deconfirm Sceptile during the roundtable?

"Question: when was Greninja chosen to be added?

Answer: All of the characters to consider were on our internal roster from the beginning of development. We had a slot for a new Pokemon reserved, but did not wait for X and Y. We decided to use Greninja well before X/Y came out, based on early reference drawings."

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if this was brought up. But did Sakurai accidentally deconfirm Sceptile during the roundtable?

Answer: All of the characters to consider were on our internal roster from the beginning of development. We had a slot for a new Pokemon reserved, but did not wait for X and Y. We decided to use Greninja well before X/Y came out, based on early reference drawings."
If he didn't say that then people would know there was a second one. Its also possible he heard about it later on and he was a late addition

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace

I took that as there was a slot reserved for a NEW pokemon as in from gen 6. Which wouldn't eliminate the chances for other existing pokemon from being newcomers. I guess it's worded a bit ambiguously. Is that the direct quote?

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
I don't care for it much personally, but I support Sceptile simply for the fact my OCD will kick in without 1 of each fully evolved starters. It will mentally tear me apart, and the world's balance would be thrown off.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I don't care for it much personally, but I support Sceptile simply for the fact my OCD will kick in without 1 of each fully evolved starters. It will mentally tear me apart, and the world's balance would be thrown off.
That's the reason I cringe when people mention him for DLC. It would still feel incomplete. Same thing happens when people wanted to cut Ganondorf for Demise or Ghirahim. *shivers* Hopefully I'll only have to live with Axes and Lances not being represented for FE...

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
This would aggravate the grass fans heavily for making the one & only grass evolved pokemon to be DLC & not on the original roster. . .that's a low blow & because we're all grass fans that makes it worse, it's also sloppy to have Fire & Water in there & not Grass. Even so, Sceptile's still got this.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
It would be a blow, but I'd still rather get Sceptile as DLC than not get him at all.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
It would be a blow, but I'd still rather get Sceptile as DLC than not get him at all.
I'd rather not Sceptile at all, than get him as DLC.:troll:

But being Taboo to not discuss about Sceptile, what if Charizard ends up being middle-weight, Greninja being light-weight & now needing a third starter to equalize / balance out the other 2 accordingly to their weight type movement unique characteristics, thinking of the grass starter who should it be if Sceptile cannot be so? Grade each Grass fully evolved starter 5/5 Ivysaurs. I'll go first:

Venusaur = :ivysaur::ivysaur: Accounting for Charizard becoming a medium-weight, a fully evolved Ivysaur is possible, Sakurai has made a quadruped playable, & Bowser's heavy set as a mix to add onto optimism. I rated low due to over representation of 1st Generation.

Meganium = :ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur: Giving Meganium a fair chance I'd say it's got some potential, there's some awkward characteristics involving a long neck in fact it could tie in well with it's move-set, but I won't punish 'em for that sole reason. I say Meganium is above average of being a contender considering Gen. II needs some more love & representation.

Sceptile = :ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur: Not because it's a Sceptile support thread that I choose him out of bias, but that it makes perfect sense to nominate this raptor-like gecko as the prime grass starter choice. Of course this is implying Charizard is indeed going to be the heavier-set pkmn out of the 'type trio' making Sceptile the middle-weight

Torterra = :ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur: Similar to Venusaur's situation, i
f accounting for Charizard being a medium-weight then Torterra would be a contender but would rate higher for representing Generation IV. Quadruped's aren't impossible proven by Ivysaur, we'll have to see.

Serperior = :ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur: Serperior could bring a ton of untapped potential being the very first serpentine-like fighter with a fresh start of play-style. It can be done with plenty of new ideas / mechanics. I have hope for this pokemon starter choice for being superior above other grass starters.

Chesnaught = :ivysaur::ivysaur: Chesnaught as a Grass/Fighting type makes sense & has a good-looking model to look like a good playable character. But Greninja being confirmed from the beginning most likely de-confirmed Chesnaught's chance. I'd post more about him having a fair chance but I don't know very much for this chestnut hedgehog other than being a grass poser hedgehog armadildo.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
The Dragon vs The Lizard vs The Frog, it would be nice to see. :4pacman:
It's even more fascinating that, The Dragon who's a mythical creature resembling a European dragon that breathes fire, is a fire type, The Lizard who's a reptile resembling a dinosaur usually live in grasslands / forests is a grass type, & The Frog who's an amphibian inspired by a horned frog appearing as a ninja based on the folktale story "The Tale of the Gallant Jiraiya", who lives in ponds / rivers / lakes / nearby or in water is a water type. HYPE?!!?!?!??!!?
Also @ lltacx lltacx do ya wanna be a Sceptile supporter? :ivysaur: would be proud<3

Last edited:

Blue Phoenix

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0001-3910-6032
At first I didn't think Sceptile had much of a chance, because I had thought Sakurai had more or less deconfirmed it when he said that there was a slot for a new Pokemon open and that he decided to add Greninja. (I initially took it as "Greninja took up the last slot for Pokemon representation in Smash") Now that the Hoenn remakes are confirmed, I think it makes perfect sense that they add it, especially being that they already have a fire and water type, and Sceptile would complete the Fire-Water-Grass trio. The fect that it also has a Mega Evolution now would further increase its chances. Also, Sceptile is a beast of a starter imo. So, yeah. I support Sceptile now.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Another dark horse grass type to consider is Breloom, he fills the same role Sceptile does (except he's part fighting type). He has a Smash friendly design and moveset, is from Gen III, and who knows he still may get a mega evolution.

I'd still prefer Sceptile, but Breloom could be considered as well.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Another dark horse grass type to consider is Breloom, he fills the same role Sceptile does (except he's part fighting type). He has a Smash friendly design and moveset, is from Gen III, and who knows he still may get a mega evolution.

I'd still prefer Sceptile, but Breloom could be considered as well.
Breloom is a swell choice too. I went ahead & skimmed what other Grass/Fighting dual type pokemon there are & I got: (also judging them)
  • Breloom :ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur:
  • Virizion :ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur: Saur?
  • Chesnaught :ivysaur::ivysaur:
So yeah it's clear I'd want Breloom over these other 2, I don't even have an opinion for Virizion but he looked 'meh he could be a fighter'. But Go Sceptile! :ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur:

Edit: I only brought up the Grass/Fighting dual type pkmn was because SSB is technically a fighting game so. . .:shades:.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Yea... that's basically why I'm here too. Charizard being alone I think I could've handled, but Greninja was just too much of a wildcard for me and now it's just going to drive me insane if a grass type doesn't get in. IT NEEDS TO BE COMPLETE DAMN IT! Honestly though, while part of my support definitely comes from compulsion I've actually warmed up to idea of Sceptile being playable. I really just think he has the perfect model for smash and certainly would be a better choice than any other grass starter. Plus, it'd create the pattern of 1-3-6 when considering what generations these 3 'mons would represent. Who doesn't want that?! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
It's even more fascinating that, The Dragon who's a mythical creature resembling a European dragon that breathes fire, is a fire type, The Lizard who's a reptile resembling a dinosaur usually live in grasslands / forests is a grass type, & The Frog who's an amphibian inspired by a horned frog appearing as a ninja based on the folktale story "The Tale of the Gallant Jiraiya", who lives in ponds / rivers / lakes / nearby or in water is a water type. HYPE?!!?!?!??!!?
Also @ lltacx lltacx do ya wanna be a Sceptile supporter? :ivysaur: would be proud<3
Sure, I'm a supporter. Sceptile is one of my fave Grass types after all.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I saw that Robin has been confirmed to be the first character in Smash to have an attack that hurts your opponent, and heals you.

I'm going to take that as good news for Sceptile.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Sure, I'm a supporter. Sceptile is one of my fave Grass types after all.
Thanks man
I saw that Robin has been confirmed to be the first character in Smash to have an attack that hurts your opponent, and heals you.

I'm going to take that as good news for Sceptile.
This is definitely good news for Sceptile. A dealing damaging move that also heals is a completely unique mechanic & characteristic to Project M Ivysaur & now Robin. Ivysaur's dealing+healing moves were U-smash, D-air & U-air, but had to be sweet-spotted. Her neutral B was synthesis healing 1% per second per fully charging being SolarBeam but anyways, yes this looks like a great foreshadowing for a Grass-type, especially Sceptile.:shades:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I had a dream last night that Sceptile was announced. Strange because I'm not even a supporter (I'm indifferent towards Sceptile).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Is seven too much for pokémon now?:troll:
Fire emblem has four.
No- if this is the case, though, I would want:
Pikachu, Lucario, Mewtwo, Charizard, Sceptile, Greninja, Pokemon Trainer

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
No- if this is the case, though, I would want:
Pikachu, Lucario, Mewtwo, Charizard, Sceptile, Greninja, Pokemon Trainer
No to who? :confused:
I like what you want, I wanna say you didn't include Mewtwo due to him selling millions of $$$ becoming a DLC pack right?

That is what I want too for my uber love for Sceptile<3, & maybe PT.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I edited the quotation into my post, as it seems to have been removed.
I was stating, if there are seven, as I think there is the potential, I would want it to be those seven.
A trainer, to represent the side of Pokémon not based entirely on the pocket monsters themselves (and because he has plenty of other unique ways of playing, as well as being an avatar character himself), as well as because Trainer plus six pokemon fits nicely into the notion of Pokémon having six representatives for the six Pokés per party.

PS- this computer adds the accent for Pokémon all on its own. What a hoot!

I'm all for DLC, of course- and absolutely. I'd prefer not having to wait, though.

I think it is time to bring back to the table the discussion of Sceptile being a possible Greninja clone, with the ability to Grapple, heal, and wallclimb a bit more, with slower stats.

To others this means not a clone.
But given the same hitboxes, move programming, it- would be a clone. Anyone care to discuss?

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I edited the quotation into my post, as it seems to have been removed.
I was stating, if there are seven, as I think there is the potential, I would want it to be those seven.
A trainer, to represent the side of Pokémon not based entirely on the pocket monsters themselves (and because he has plenty of other unique ways of playing, as well as being an avatar character himself), as well as because Trainer plus six pokemon fits nicely into the notion of Pokémon having six representatives for the six Pokés per party.

PS- this computer adds the accent for Pokémon all on its own. What a hoot!

I'm all for DLC, of course- and absolutely. I'd prefer not having to wait, though.

I think it is time to bring back to the table the discussion of Sceptile being a possible Greninja clone, with the ability to Grapple, heal, and wallclimb a bit more, with slower stats.

But given the same hitboxes, move programming, it- would be a clone. Anyone care to discuss?
I'm not home so I can't go all out while being out & about. But all I can say is that I desire to have Ivysaur's unique move=set to be represented once more in some way integrating into the next successor's move-set being the Grass-type hopefully Sceptile.

Buuut if this cannot be so which I wish to see return plus the different characteristics between Sceptile & Ivysaur, I'm okay with possible clone-like features between Sceptile / Greninja. Leaf Blade is talked about as that heavily similar attack move, along with their similar crouched movement etc.. Other than them both wall-clinging and / or wall-jumping I'd like to see both Wall-climb as a new wall technique. Sceptile with a tail & grass kind of makes them totally different in their own fighting styles so yeah.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I

I don't think they would be clones, both are similar don't get me wrong but I feel like they still have different styles. Let's take their size into consideration, I'll use Charizard for this as well.

Charizard: 5'7, 199.5 lbs.
HP-78
Atk-84
Def-78
Satk-109
Sdef-85
Spd-100

Greninja: 4'11, 88.5 lbs
HP-72
Atk-95
Def-67
Satk-103
Sdef-71
Spd-122

Sceptile: 5'7. 115 lbs
HP-70
Atk-85
Def-65
Satk-105
Sdef-85
Spd-120

As you can see from this, Sceptile is 8 inches taller, 27 lbs heavier, and 11 more points in Defensive categories (HP, Def, SDef making him a bit more bulky than Greninja. He's down 8 points in attack power (atk Spatk) but I'd call them about even because Sceptile has the better physical grass move with Leaf Blade, none of Greninja's physical attacks are close in power to Leaf Blade. Their special attacks are pretty much even, and Greninja also has a slight advantage in speed, when you take into consideration his height and weight it may increase eve more.

I also feel like, while boths big advantage is their speed they use it in different ways. Greninaja is more sneaky fast, using illusions and tricks to teleport and place substitutes making his movement very unpredictable. Sceptile wouldn't be very unpredictable in his movements, and would be much more straight forward.

Sorry if this didn't make sense, just started working overnights so since it's 8:20 am right now my brain is mush.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Is DLC still something people take for certain when the Gematsu Leak that mentioned it isn't 100% anymore? Plus I thought it was mentioned that they didn't even want to start thinking about DLC until they have finished the game.. So I don't think any characters (Like Mewtwo and Sceptile) of high priority (given the situation, Mewtwo's demand, the demand for a grass starter) would be deliberately held off to be sold as DLC.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think DLC is almost a necessity for a game of this magnitude for Nintendo, absolutely. They are aware they need to keep up with the times, and to continue to surprise and please fans. Super Smash Bros is the absolute prime game for Content of the downloadable variety, because it is guaranteed to sell well to collectors and those who want more fighters, even if all people will not use said character, it will almost invariably turn a true profit.

I assume Inkling will be a shoe in for a character they want on the roster.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I don't think they would be clones, both are similar don't get me wrong but I feel like they still have different styles. Let's take their size into consideration, I'll use Charizard for this as well.

Charizard: 5'7, 199.5 lbs.
HP-78
Atk-84
Def-78
Satk-109
Sdef-85
Spd-100

Greninja: 4'11, 88.5 lbs
HP-72
Atk-95
Def-67
Satk-103
Sdef-71
Spd-122

Sceptile: 5'7. 115 lbs
HP-70
Atk-85
Def-65
Satk-105
Sdef-85
Spd-120

As you can see from this, Sceptile is 8 inches taller, 27 lbs heavier, and 11 more points in Defensive categories (HP, Def, SDef making him a bit more bulky than Greninja. He's down 8 points in attack power (atk Spatk) but I'd call them about even because Sceptile has the better physical grass move with Leaf Blade, none of Greninja's physical attacks are close in power to Leaf Blade. Their special attacks are pretty much even, and Greninja also has a slight advantage in speed, when you take into consideration his height and weight it may increase eve more.

I also feel like, while boths big advantage is their speed they use it in different ways. Greninaja is more sneaky fast, using illusions and tricks to teleport and place substitutes making his movement very unpredictable. Sceptile wouldn't be very unpredictable in his movements, and would be much more straight forward.

Sorry if this didn't make sense, just started working overnights so since it's 8:20 am right now my brain is mush.
Not to burst your bubble since a lot of people like to do this for how the pokemon will play based off speculation, but to throw down some funny controversy:
  • Mewtwo being one of the greatest pokemon, with the highest Base Stats, weighing 300+ lbs. & being 6'07". . .sure he was tall but that was the only redeeming factor proving anything of Mewtwo being similar to his Pokedex entry. He's a heavy ************ but he's lightweight in Melee & only medium weight in Project M.
  • Greninja as you know was chosen based off some hand drawings, not even knowing his height, weight, or his in-game pokemon Base Stats (unless that was data that was provided with the hand drawings) & implementing any of the size data to him. Sakurai literally created Greninja from scratch. I'm still impressed with how Greninja came out.
  • Lucario is a steel type yet isn't heavyweight, being more medium-heavy weight. He's supposed to be half-way up the waist of an average teenager's height but isn't. He's almost as tall as Charizard which isn't accurate according to his pokedex entry.
Basically the pokedex entires, their Base Stats, & their statistics just don't equal to Sakurai's developing, they may be something to look at thinking about for balancing out character sized models while developing & think, "Hmm so Greninja's 4'11" towards Charizard's 5'7", they can be the same height". I love how Sakurai develops Super Smash Bros. titles barely giving a **** about the statistics, he does what he wants!

Overall, it's cool to speculate off of the statistics but in the end it's not canon to Sakurai. Nothing is canon to Masahiro Sakurai.

Is DLC still something people take for certain when the Gematsu Leak that mentioned it isn't 100% anymore? Plus I thought it was mentioned that they didn't even want to start thinking about DLC until they have finished the game.. So I don't think any characters (Like Mewtwo and Sceptile) of high priority (given the situation, Mewtwo's demand, the demand for a grass starter) would be deliberately held off to be sold as DLC.
I hate repeating myself, but If I were Nintendo, I'd milk the fans making Mewtwo DLC. Only after the game's fully developed & months pass it's release date do I think that DLC will start appearing. That's IF I was the worlds largest video game company who knew of the fan's favorites, a $1.00 for each Mewtwo DLC purchase goes a LONG way of future profit. Also yeah the Gematsu leak not being absolute makes DLC appear to be true.

But from a fan's perspective, I'd want Mewtwo in the finalized roster more than anything.

Neither are my perspective, I wish for Sceptile over Mewtwo but I want them both.

I think DLC is almost a necessity or a game of this magnitutude for Nintendo, absolutely. They are aware they need to keep up with the times, and to continue to surprise and please fans. Super Smash Bros is the absolute prime game for Content of the downloadable variety, because it is guaranteed to sell well to collectors and those who want more fighters, even if all people will not use said character, it will almost invariably turn a true profit.
Indeed *approves*

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Not to burst your bubble since a lot of people like to do this for how the pokemon will play based off speculation, but to throw down some funny controversy:
  • Mewtwo being one of the greatest pokemon, with the highest Base Stats, weighing 300+ lbs. & being 6'07". . .sure he was tall but that was the only redeeming factor proving anything of Mewtwo being similar to his Pokedex entry. He's a heavy mother****er but he's lightweight in Melee & only medium weight in Project M.
  • Greninja as you know was chosen based off some hand drawings, not even knowing his height, weight, or his in-game pokemon Base Stats (unless that was data that was provided with the hand drawings) & implementing any of the size data to him. Sakurai literally created Greninja from scratch. I'm still impressed with how Greninja came out.
  • Lucario is a steel type yet isn't heavyweight, being more medium-heavy weight. He's supposed to be half-way up the waist of an average teenager's height but isn't. He's almost as tall as Charizard which isn't accurate according to his pokedex entry.
Basically the pokedex entires, their Base Stats, & their statistics just don't equal to Sakurai's developing, they may be something to look at thinking about for balancing out character sized models while developing & think, "Hmm so Greninja's 4'11" towards Charizard's 5'7", they can be the same height". I love how Sakurai develops Super Smash Bros. titles barely giving a **** about the statistics, he does what he wants!

Overall, it's cool to speculate off of the statistics but in the end it's not canon to Sakurai. Nothing is canon to Masahiro Sakurai.

I hate repeating myself, but If I were Nintendo, I'd milk the fans making Mewtwo DLC. Only after the game's fully developed & months pass it's release date do I think that DLC will start appearing. That's IF I was the worlds largest video game company who knew of the fan's favorites, a $1.00 for each Mewtwo DLC purchase goes a LONG way of future profit. Also yeah the Gematsu leak not being absolute makes DLC appear to be true.

But from a fan's perspective, I'd want Mewtwo in the finalized roster more than anything.

Neither are my perspective, I wish for Sceptile over Mewtwo but I want them both.

Indeed *approves*
Our opinions on DLC, Mewtwo, and Sceptile from the business, fan, and personal perspectives are identical:upsidedown:

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Our opinion on DLC, Mewtwo, and Sceptile from the business, fan, and personal perspectives are identical:upsidedown:
We must become Nature's power allies, to preserve the continuing peace maintained at hand.

My earlier reply post to GY, I wanna see Sceptile use vines in his move-pool that supposedly appear from his nodule seeds on his back. I'd change my move-set post to compliment this idea but it's too late to just re-edit it all over modifying it. Very potential B-air move much like SSBBrawl Ivysaur!<3

Top Bottom