• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Ever Nintendo product- Mr. Hanafuda

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Not many where exactly expecting him. Just suggesting him, and not in the way he was implemented either with Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard. So yes, he's a WTF additon to me.
Me too. And wether a character was a WTF addition or not is subjective.

:phone:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
To you. However, he was a character that was going to appear at some point. Seeing as the trainer is the protagonist. Every franchise in smash, except Gyromite/ROB (and Pokemon pre brawl), has the protagonist as a rep. That hardly makes him a WTF addition.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Since he's napoleon, it would be hilarious if he was riding on an undersized horse and holding a tiny sabre. Both in the same style as the picture on the front, but keeping the box form and stick arm/ legs (Him, not the horse)

Ove

Smash Journeyman
A card with arms and legs? Common, that's just stupid and not even realistic. What's wrong making him an actual character?

TheCreator

Smash Lord
To you. However, he was a character that was going to appear at some point. Seeing as the trainer is the protagonist. Every franchise in smash, except Gyromite/ROB (and Pokemon pre brawl), has the protagonist as a rep. That hardly makes him a WTF addition.

Exactly 'to me'. That's why I said it was subjective.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Here's an idea:

Should he talk? And should it be in Japanese or English?

I just imagine him being hilariously cheesy, saying things like "Your fate is in the cards!" or "Here's my card!" etc. etc.

Yeah...

D

Deleted member

"Trust in the heart of the cards!" for a YGO reference :awesome:.

And possibly a nod to Nintendo itself with "Leave luck to heaven!"

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
No, WTF-addtions are also characters as Captain Falcon and Ness (64), Sheik, Ice Climbers and Roy (Melee) and Zero Suit Samus and Pokémon Trainer (Brawl).
Nope. You might not have wanted them or expected them, but they all had reasons for inclusion.

Also: if the ICs are "WTF", then so are every other potential retro character.

peeup

Smash Lord
Let's not debate the meaning of what a WTF character is. Because its a completely subjective term. Let's just agree that for some people, characters like G&W and ROB were WTF characters. For some people, characters like ICs, ZSS, etc. were WTF characters.

Regardless of your definition of a WTF character, Mr. Hanafuda would be an out-of-left-field character choice that would have lots of people scratching their heads. Which would be sick.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Regardless of your definition of a WTF character, Mr. Hanafuda would be an out-of-left-field character choice that would have lots of people scratching their heads. Which would be sick.
I don't think "nobody knows who this guy is" should be a point in his favor.

peeup

Smash Lord
I don't think "nobody knows who this guy is" should be a point in his favor.
Me nor anybody I know in real life had ever heard of the Game and Watch stuff, nor did we know what R.O.B. was. People under 20 typically don't unless they're hardcore Nintendo buffs.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I've actually heard this topic brought up pre-brawl. Didn't like it then, don't like it now. If we're going to get a complete WTF retro, I'd prefer Duck Hunt Dog, or that kid from Star Tropics. (Mike Jones?)

Mr. Hanafuda would be a total WTF character, because other countries (but not Japan) never even heard of him, never even talked about alot until the Club Nintendo Hanafuda Cards came in 2007

A card with arms and legs? Common, that's just stupid and not even realistic. What's wrong making him an actual character?
Mr. Game and Watch was not even realistic. :awesome:

There is hardly any real arguments about this character not being in, he was the beginning of Nintendo. The thread will keep on going with people on how there are better choices or how stupid Mr. Hanafuda is. There's only going to be more agreements of him being in.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Me nor anybody I know in real life had ever heard of the Game and Watch stuff, nor did we know what R.O.B. was. People under 20 typically don't unless they're hardcore Nintendo buffs.
Here's the thing: that's NOT why they were included. G&W represented the Game & Watch, Nintendo's first handheld(also their first successful console IIRC), and the first console EVER to use a D-Pad. ROB was an (admittedly clunky) accessory for the NES that helped revive the North American video game market and establish the dominance of the NES(in NA at least). They weren't added just to be "WTF additions."

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
WTF or not, Hanafuda represents Nintendo history in much the same way as G&W. I don't really see why there's an argument here. Just support him and be done with it.

Semantic, peh.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
WTF or not, Hanafuda represents Nintendo history in much the same way as G&W. I don't really see why there's an argument here. Just support him and be done with it.
So are you saying that I have to support him? There are other historic character options you know.

peeup

Smash Lord
Here's the thing: that's NOT why they were included. G&W represented the Game & Watch, Nintendo's first handheld(also their first successful console IIRC), and the first console EVER to use a D-Pad. ROB was an (admittedly clunky) accessory for the NES that helped revive the North American video game market and establish the dominance of the NES(in NA at least). They weren't added just to be "WTF additions."
No okay I know that dude. I understand that. I don't know how else to say that I understand that they are both extremely vital to Nintendo history.

Guess what else would be extremely vital to Nintendo history?

Their first product.

Which would be Hanafuda.

I'm kinda trying to stay away from this WTF character notion now, because clearly its too subjective a term to be thrown around in an objective discussion.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I would love a pre-videogames Nintendo rep and it's something I've never thought about before. However unlike Mr. Game and Watch, a walking pack of cards called "Mr. Hanafuda" is completely made up and while I can't think of any other way to make a pack of cards viable, having a character who has been basically made up for a Smash game does unsettle me for some reason.

Is there anything... humanoid that could represent pre-videogames Nintendo? I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Did they ever make any robot toys or anything like that?

A giant Ultra Hand would make a neat boss.

peeup

Smash Lord
Well people have been discussing how Mr. Hanafuda looks like he was based on/inspired by Napoleon, so he could just be a Napoleon looking guy on a horse. Or off a horse. Point is, he could just be a normal looking guy who uses cards in his moves.

peeup

Smash Lord
I feel like making a moveset for Mr. Hanafuda right now.
Oh and peeup, then they would ask why Napoleon was in SSB4 and how it does not relate to Nintendo. :awesome:
Firstly, hell yeah you should make a Hanafuda moveset. I'll work on one when I get the chance.

Secondly, yeah... yeah.

Hell when I saw a weird 2D pure black big nosed fellow who flips bacon and turns his head into a scuba helmet, I didn't question it =D

But actually, the Napoleon thing was more of a comparison than an actual look alike. Basically he just should look like some general or military dude. Who plays cards. A childrens' card game.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I would love a pre-videogames Nintendo rep and it's something I've never thought about before. However unlike Mr. Game and Watch, a walking pack of cards called "Mr. Hanafuda" is completely made up and while I can't think of any other way to make a pack of cards viable, having a character who has been basically made up for a Smash game does unsettle me for some reason.

Is there anything... humanoid that could represent pre-videogames Nintendo? I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Did they ever make any robot toys or anything like that?

A giant Ultra Hand would make a neat boss.
Only R.O.B. XD

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Firstly, hell yeah you should make a Hanafuda moveset. I'll work on one when I get the chance.

Secondly, yeah... yeah.

Hell when I saw a weird 2D pure black big nosed fellow who flips bacon and turns his head into a scuba helmet, I didn't question it =D

But actually, the Napoleon thing was more of a comparison than an actual look alike. Basically he just should look like some general or military dude. Who plays cards. A childrens' card game.
I questioned it. I remember reading the DOJO and being like, WTF?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think this would happen...

I think Sheriff is much more likely to happen. He's actually from a game.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
R.O.B. is not from an actual game. Your argument is invalid. :awesome:

Oh and heres a just beta concept of Mr. Hanafuda:
R.O.B. was actually part of video game merchandise. He is still related to a game. Mr. Hanafuda is not.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
R.O.B. was actually part of video game merchandise. He is still related to a game. Mr. Hanafuda is not.
If I have to say it again :glare:
He began Nintendo, he was (God) Nintendo who started all of video games of Nintendo..
Also if you read the thread from page 1, you can see Mr. Hanafuda was actually in videogames.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If I have to say it again :glare:
He began Nintendo, he was (God) Nintendo who started all of video games of Nintendo..
Also if you read the thread from page 1, you can see Mr. Hanafuda was actually in videogames.
You're post never actually said what game he is from. Could you post that?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm sure Sakurai is already aware of Hanafuda, just biding his time. I'd also like to bring (unless it has already) that TECHNICALLY Hanafuda cameo'd in Pikmin 2 (as did a bunch of non-Nintendo junk) so that counts as a VG appearance!

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Really wanna see a moveset now though.

Let's make a moveset together us members so we all agree with it.
Remember it's based on how Luxord fights.

I'll start:

A+A+A= Hanafuda (uses the force) to swipe 4 small floating cards from horizontally twice, then swipes upwards his cards as a finishing combo.

A+side= Hanafuda swipes 8 small floating cards in a circular fashion, a multi hitting attack.

A+Dash= Hanafuda slams himself to the ground. (Similar to Dedede's)

peeup

Smash Lord
Up B could be like him surfing up on a card.

Interesting grab mechanic could be he swats an oversized card forward and if it connects, the person gets "trapped" inside the card. The pummel would be him crumpling the card up. Then, depending on how crumpled the card gets, his throws get more/less powerful. For instance, one throw could be like a standard card throw, which would be more effective the less you pummel the enemy. Another throw could be just a normal toss, which would work better the more crumpled the card is.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Up+A= Hanafuda swipes his 8 floating cards upward in a circular motion, same as A+side, but only upwards.

Down+A= Hanafuda swipes his 4 floating cards horizontally on the ground.

That pretty much sums up his standard ground attacks.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Since he represents Nintendo non-video game products I guess he can have something like this :
Neutral B : Love tester
Mister Hanafuda launch one of the metal balls from the Love Tester toward him, if the ball hit a foe the ball will wrap around him/her, he/she will be unable to go away until one of them get hurt or if Mr Hanafuda use this attack again, if he do he will use the love tester like a fishing rod and send his opponent flying in his direction.

Up B : Ultra hand
Your basic tether reccovery attack except that he will act like the second part of the Love tester if it hit another character.

Down B : Chiritorie
Mr Hanafuda will put a chicoritie on the ground, it will not move until an opponent gets too close, it will then begin to chase him/her, if it succeeds to touch him/her it will immobilize him/her for some seconds, in any case the Chiritorie will disappear sometimes after being summoned but not activate, fail to grab the opponent after some seconds, destroy by attacks of if Mr Hanafuda put another somewhere.

Side B : Lefty RX
A little car who will go straight forward at high speed at the cost of not being to not being able to turn around or jump, will disappear once it hit something or fall to his demise.

Final Smash : Kôsenjû SP Series
Works pretty much like Zelda's Light Arrow.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Since he represents Nintendo non-video game products I guess he can have something like this :

Neutral B : Love tester
Mister Hanafuda launch one of the metal balls from the Love Tester toward him, if the ball hit a foe the ball will wrap around him/her, he/she will be unable to go away until one of them get hurt or if Mr Hanafuda use this attack again, if he do he will use the love tester like a fishing rod and send his opponent flying in his direction.

Up B : Ultra hand
Your basic tether reccovery attack except that he will act like the second part of the Love tester if it hit another character.

Down B : Chiritorie
Mr Hanafuda will put a chicoritie on the ground, it will not move until an opponent gets too close, it will then begin to chase him/her, if it succeeds to touch him/her it will immobilize him/her for some seconds, in any case the Chiritorie will disappear sometimes after being summoned but not activate, fail to grab the opponent after some seconds, destroy by attacks of if Mr Hanafuda put another somewhere.

Side B : Lefty RX
A little car who will go straight forward at high speed at the cost of not being to not being able to turn around or jump, will disappear once it hit something or fall to his demise.

Final Smash : Kôsenjû SP Series
Works pretty much like Zelda's Light Arrow.

Edit: Why does this appear twice ? Can I delete one of them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom