• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Ever Nintendo product- Mr. Hanafuda

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
A couple of support sigs.

No offence, BluePikmin, but I felt your support sig doesn't mesh well with the other ones used here.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Those are some nice support sigs, Falkoopa.

I'm wondering if there should be a Nintendouji support thread. To my knowledge, he doesn't use Hanafuda cards, and he has his own distinct game and powers. I have some neat ideas that I could whip up into a thread.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
What if the Hanafuda deck was an item instead of a character? A person would grab it and draw a random card and it would cause different effects. For example you draw a Boar and a giant pig would jump out and attack similar to Ganondorf's final smash (assuming if he gets a different final smash).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What if the Hanafuda deck was an item instead of a character? A person would grab it and draw a random card and it would cause different effects. For example you draw a Boar and a giant pig would jump out and attack similar to Ganondorf's final smash (assuming if he gets a different final smash).
It seems more likely than a playable Mr. Hanafuda.
That doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Do give reasons before saying that.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's too similar to an Assist Trophy, and assist trophies were there to summon Nintendo characters. Pokeballs are an exception though.
And basically that would be animal summons, it's pretty dull.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I see. The idea seems more feasible and easier than a playable character though.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Well Hanafuda deals with the seasons and nature. It could change environment like turn the place to ice when it gets a winter card.

I'm not saying Mr. Hanafuda isn't a bad idea. I'm just throwing different spins on how to get the Hanafuda cards into Smash.

For those who don't know this is a good video to introduce you to Hanafuda cards and a popular game called Koi koi.

If you want to play this game. I found this flash which is really good and its in English.
Game

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Hells yeah! I was gonna make a cards support thread but I see you already have one! I've been wanting Hanafuda cards to get reped since Melee. I don't actually expect them to but I'd be stoked if they did!

Also bump I guess.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Oh, a bump?!!
Oh anyways, I guess I'll say this pretty early:
I'm planning to get Hanafuda cards, since I have 800 Coins.

Unfortunately its sold out for now, so I plan to use it for a photo-kind of moveset.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Count me in as a supporter! I loved the idea back in the Brawl days and I still love it now. However, I don't think the Hanafuda cards should be in their box - Mr. Hanafuda/Hanafuda-Man should be an open deck of Hanafuda cards (still with arms and legs I guess, for movement purposes), allowing you to see the front card of the deck (the cards are somehow held together by magic :troll:). From there they could implement some kind of shuffle mechanic, where the front card of the deck somehow dictates the strength or effect of a move.

I haven't really thought the mechanic through thoroughly, mostly because I don't 100% get Hanafuda, but what I envisioned is that when performing a Smash attack with Mr. Hanafuda, he would do a Smash attack and 're-shuffle' at the same time, putting a new random card on the front of the deck. The card on the front of the deck would then influence the strength and attack-effect of the next Smash attack he performs - regular flower cards would be bog-standard Smash attacks, Ribbon Cards would have a slightly stronger effect on Smash attacks, and cards with characters on them would do the most damage/knockback, and/or have an effect applied to them (freeze, fire, aura, Ganon's dark energy, electricity, paralysis etc.) depending on which character card is pulled.

Also, to make the uninformed a little more comfortable with an idea as alien as Hanafuda Man, I wouldn't be against them opting away from using traditional Hanafuda cards and choosing the Club Nintendo Hanafuda cards instead:

Just my two cents.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I like the idea of Hanafuda cards as a playable character. Seems like a pretty neat concept. We need more retro characters. They are always so interesting. :D

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
May make a Mr. Hanafuda moveset. Add me to the supporters PLZ. A card-dealing character is something I've always wanted, and they don't seem to be giving Luigi that role (Get it? New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario 64 DS Card Mini-Games? HA!).

Michael Blaine

Smash Apprentice
I like the idea, but that anthropomorphic playing card look is no good. Just make a full 3D model of that 19th century looking guy on the card. He doesn't have to look 100% like Napoleon lol. He can have a cane, top hat, curly mustache, horse and buggy intro animation all that. The fighting with cards and whatnot, that's gold.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
A card deck.... Even a Living Puppet sounds better at this point. ;)

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Apparently, this was also a popular Nintendo hanafuda deck back in the day;

It's based on a mythological Japanese creature called a Tengu.

Tengu (天狗) are mountain and forest goblins with both Shinto and Buddhist attributes. Their supernatural powers include shape-shifting into human or animal forms, the ability to speak to humans without moving their mouth, the magic of moving instantly from place to place without using their wings, and the sorcery to appear uninvited in the dreams of the living.

The patron of martial arts, the bird-like Tengu is a skilled warrior and mischief maker, especially prone to playing tricks on arrogant and vainglorious Buddhist priests, and to punishing those who willfully misuse knowledge and authority to gain fame or position. In bygone days, they also inflicted their punishments on vain and arrogant samurai warriors. They dislike braggarts, and those who corrupt the Dharma (Buddhist Law).
http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/tengu.shtml

Maybe these characteristics could somehow translate to a Smash moveset? Just throwing some ideas out there.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
True story, Shiftry was actually based on a Tengu. :p

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
IDEA based off Tengu idea:

-One of his taunts could involve wearing the Tweeter mask from SMB2.
-A card acts like a sword in one attack ( like TENGU MAN!)

That's all I got.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Hanafuda Man... still more innovative and important to Nintendo than Geno will ever be. :troll:
Truth hurts. Well, at least they made the crowd chant for Geno.

'WHO IS GENO? WHO IS GENO?'

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Because we never had a character that is a deck of cards with limbs. :laugh:
I find it amazing how the Hanafuda characters started spreading with this thread.
Doesn't mean it should happen.

Shall we discuss more about hanafuda in the Daitoryo thread? Perhaps you could direct me to someone who could draw a full-body Daitoryo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom