• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Finger Bang - *Mission Completed* 11/17/07 (Portland, OR)

Binx

Smash Master
Sounds really fun to me, kind of a big entry fee but if a lot of people show up it'll definitely be worth it, also you should have a door cost for people who don't enter of like $5 to improve the singles prize and encourage more people to sign up for at least one real tournament.

Climax11

Smash Ace
While that does sound smart, 2 of the 3 people on my freeloaders list are roommates so I can't exactly kick them out if they don't pay...and also WA/BC/Cali Smashers at this point haven't exactly gone up. Hm...maybe I'll try advertising more this weekend.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
I like Binx's idea too it sounds like a really good idea. But I really want to go to this because i gots a job and now I gots moneys. I think georgey might go too I talked to him last night about it I'll talk to him more later.

Climax11

Smash Ace
Man I feel like I need some practice before the tourney, anyone wanna smash sometime this week in the portland area?

T0MMY

Smash Master
so whats the deal with raising the entry and drawing in WA canada and norcal?
Because NorCal already said they'd probably come to this with the lower price?
It's kind of confusing, because this is the first Finger Bang by someone who's never hosted a Smashfest before and out of the blue OoS Smashers are coming to this. I don't want to discourage anyone from coming, but I don't want to hear WA complain when they show up to small Smashfests and think it's the best we can do.

If there's an SF:E in december, people should save up their money for that (looks at Jesse), don't spend time/money coming to this and not show up for SF:E, but if everyone can make it to both, that'd be even better.

Climax11

Smash Ace
Hmm. I would think being a little more positive or offering some tips on how to put on a good tourney so more people would come, instead of telling people not to come to what you easily predict as a dissapointment would be less of a **** move, but that's just me.

I mean, I'm sure WA people are happy about a Portland tourney that would have a good turn out, due to the city and not having to drive the extra hour + to corvallis or even farter to eugene.

As far as the cost...can I just get a general concensous of what people want? 10? 15? Should I do 5? All the numbers kind of seem like someone's unhappy.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
I say 10 for doubles and 15 for singles. sounds like that's what most people want and it's not really that much money.

Jem.

Smash Master
What Foos said. Assuming the turnout is good, 1st/2nd would get money for doubles, and 3rd if you want that also. For singles, should just do 1st/2nd imo, but 3rd if you want 3rd to feel good about themselves.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Sounds like $10 per person, per tournament minimum (that's $20 per team). Where's Delphiki? I want to know if he's coming.

Balloon

Smash Lord
Why, Shane? If it's 10 dollars per person, then it would be the same as if everybody was entering singles with 10 dollars...

T0MMY

Smash Master
Minh's suggest > Binx's suggestion.

I think Binx's at-the-door charge could help cover the cost of things, free-loading is annoying. But I wouldn't want to cut out any potential players; think if you were in their position, you had no money and you sucked at the game. Instead of playing and getting better and joining the community, you just don't show up to begin with.

Just to make things clear: I wasn't telling anyone not to come. I was saying if anyone could only afford to make a trip to either this or SF:E to save their money for SF:E instead, but it'd be better if everyone could make it to every tournament.
I'm just looking at things from a clear perspective--the tourney is scheduled in about 11 days and you're still deciding on what the entrance cost is. This is a new tourney hosted by a new host who's never hosted a big-scale 'fest. Delphiki probably will not show up, WA will see that nobody from NorCal, ID, BC, or Alaska are showing up and decide not to go, so you're stuck with a small-scale tourney with a high entrance fee which will make most of OR john out because we're all poor.
Don't let it go that route, get things figured out NOW, get confirmed attendance, set an entrance fee, and it's probably too late to get OoS Smashers coming unless it's WA because people need about a month advance notice.

Jem.

Smash Master
I think Doubles should be first and second. Especially if its bigger. Cause otherwise, first gets like, 30 per player cause of 3rd not playing good enough.

Binx

Smash Master
Tommy people should go to whatever tournaments they want, and if it is between this and SFE I am gonna go to this because its closer and more convenient for me and he has a venue and he didn't change the venue last minute to go to cali yet.

Seriously though its closer and its ramping up to be bigger than 16 people for singles like the last SF:E. If OSU III is any indication then we should have plenty of people show up, the no johns for Oregon policy seems to have mostly worked, almost all of our good oregon players showed for the last tournament. Looking forward to seeing everyone there =D

Jem.

Smash Master
Ohhhh Shiettttt. Rappity **** **** making a return.

Umm, Emo$ and Eggz play a little bit of Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (I think that is the title?) You should bring that so I can watch some matches, since I heard you're like, nationally ranked at GG, which is pretty neat.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I would rather just travel to a good tournament.
if it is between this and SFE I am gonna go to this because its closer and more convenient for me and he has a venue and he didn't change the venue last minute to go to cali yet.
In another post you said you'd travel to a good tournament, but then you go and say you're not going to SF:E because it's not in the area you live. I lol'd when you said he hasn't gone to cali "yet."

Seriously though its closer and its ramping up to be bigger than 16 people for singles like the last SF:E.
Currently there are 11 confirmed players for this event. That includes the host and his roommates; other than that, Three from WA and five from the local Portland area. Eleven is less than sixteen (singles entrance as opposed to actual attendees).
Honestly, I don't think Tudios, Shin, or I can get time off for this because we need advance notice for time off, which wasn't afforded to us with all the indecisiveness of dates and entrance fees. There's still Bart, JoshisSam, and t1mmy who might be able to attend if there's a Eugene carpool.
I'm sorry you and the host see me as an antagonist to this event, but I'm pointing out any potential problems so Climax can avoid them. Either WA is going to cancel when they see the low turnout or they're going to complain they only won enough to cover travel costs.
I offered to help pay for travel costs for OoS Smashers, but you thought this was a bad idea. We'll see how increasing the entrance fee works instead. I am 100% in agreement about getting sponsorship, though, as I've already been looking into it--asking around local stores for sponsorship.

jankerrific

Smash Journeyman
tommy has some good points, i would hate to see this tournament go to waste. i think we need to keep the entrance fee at 15 singles 10 doubles and if people want different then say it, and tally up all the numbers and decide on something. i really havent seen much opposition to 15/10 so whats the big deal?

$5 for non tournament entry sounds awesome, a bigger pot is always good, and it gets annoying when nobody enters.

if i had to choose between this or sf:e i would have to go for this, im within a half an hour from here and i dont even need to get time off from work. i will definitely try to make sf:e, but for anyone in portland to not attend this would be ********.

i still think some of the pot or separate donation should go towards travel for OoS.

Top Bottom