• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Finger Bang - *Mission Completed* 11/17/07 (Portland, OR)

Eggz

Smash Hero
If you increase the entry fee, and advertise this in the BC, WA, and NorCal threads, you could easily get a 40+ turnout.

Jem.

Smash Master
30 for dubs.
10-20 for singles.

More money up for grabs, bigger turnout. Making it lower to appeal to nubz doesn't work anymore.

I forgot, I'm not good enough in smash to be a worthy opponent to travel to when WA is mentioned. :(.

Wait, that's not right, I'm good when I play Halo 3 tons more :]

Halo 3 getting sponsored Johnny mcjohnnersons for losing in smash fo life! and fo free.

T0MMY

Smash Master
The Portland Smash scene is actually not what it used to be now that the TANGS aren't hosted anymore.
I'd also suggest for Delphiki to wait until a bigger tournament, either SoCal, Washington, or the next SF:E. The best thing to do is have the Pacific Northwest put together a string of tournaments in both OR and WA and get Idaho and Canada to attend (and maybe Alaska?) that way we get everyone together so they can play all these Smashers they normally would not get to play.

See as the Finger Bang is a new tournament, it's not likely to gather as much interest as an SF:E or TANG, and I'm not sure if a higher entrance fee is really going to draw a crowd. If anything, you tell people it's a FREE entrance fee and the winner gets $500 and you'll see more people coming.

However, I'm willing to pitch in and organize a Smash Aid fund to help any out-of-state Smashers with travel costs if Delphiki and Washington want to come.

Balloon

Smash Lord
Since when does SF:E ever have a good turnout? Even the biggest one only had like 30 people, and most didn't even play in singles.

Binx

Smash Master
I dont like the giving away my money so other people can play thing, I would rather just travel to a good tournament. No one is WA is going to pay for us to go up there, nor is socal, I just don't see the point. To get a big tournament up here we need to be sponsored so we can get OOSers, simple as that, we need prizes and prize money that is not going to be taken out of entry fees to make it worth coming down.

Really though I don't think it would be worth it for a shop or business down here to put up the cash because nothing like that really happens in Oregon, in portland we have a bunch of moneyless hippies and nothing worth seeing or doing down here that you couldnt do better in another state, we have no cool attractions or anything, we dont have good malls we dont even really have very good food. I mean why the hell would anyone come to portland for any reason but to work, we live in a really bad place for smash, we dont have a very big scene and the scene we do have is playing WoW and Halo 3 instead.

Also a good portion of us don't drive and we are very spread out, I know this is negative but we just aren't dedicated down here, and part of it is because we already expect to never have people so even less people show up(I am guilty of this also). With any luck brawl is huge and can get a bunch of new blood into the game, blood that has money, and will surrender it too more skilled players in hopes of improving and we can get some decent tournaments actually hosted in the portland area, for now though all we have is a bunch of really funny guys with good personalities who more or less are below average in smash as far as the advanced metagame is concerned.

We just don't have enough interest over here, our gaming population is very spread out and our good players don't bother to show for tournaments because it isn't usually worth their gas money. So either 1) we all need to quit johnning and actually have a big tournament with all of our good players actually showing up, or 2) find a sponsor that will for some reason give out enough prizes to make it worth socal and perhaps EC showing up.

That said I am looking forward to OSU III and the 15-20 people that should be down there as well as this tournament with its 2o ish people.

Climax11

Smash Ace
Maybe we should stop johnning (look, i finally said it.) and organize? I mean,our forefathers established a nation, and apparently they were only a quartet. :)

seriously though, with a new smash game comming out, wouldn't now be a great time?

jankerrific

Smash Journeyman
I dont like the giving away my money so other people can play thing, I would rather just travel to a good tournament.
funny you should say that. why didnt you go to sf:e?

i dont mind traveling for smash, but i would without a doubt rather put up 5-10 bucks to fund out of staters and save 2+ hours then getting back for 2 more hours.

Jem.

Smash Master
That'd be tight. Considering we got mindgamed and got no money when we came down like we were supposed to, haha. But it's cool considering Shane and I took dubs and he took singles, but then WA lost a lot of money cause the pot for crews was basically ours..

Portland isnt too bad though. Much better than going to Eugene for 10 peeps that arent WA.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Climax guy, most of the Oregon people aren't competitive, and will just come and not enter. I hate dead weight at tournaments like that. So basically, your gonna wanna appeal to OOS. I suggest
15/person for doubles
15/person for singles

It'll be a big tournament with big prizes, and almost all of WA would come, im sure. If you post in the BC threads, and they know all of WA is going, they'd probably go too.

If all of WA and BC are going, then all of Oregon might suck it up and actually pay money for a tournament for once.

If you have to, you can take a pot cut of like 10% or something to pay for chips and drank.

Assuming 40 people came...thats 600 in the pot for singles and 600 in the pot for doubles, which is 120$ for food and drink. Using dominoes 555 deal, that could feed like everyone. Then just get a bunch of vitamin water, regular water, and soda i guess.

Theres like maybe 10 that would travel from WA
like 4-8 that would travel from BC
then its up to Oregon, Idaho, and NorCal to step it up.

Climax11

Smash Ace
Hmm...where are you from Eggz?

What about...
15/ person for singles
10/ person for doubles?

Plus, while my house could probably hold 35/40 people, housing people over night might become an issues. I have a huge garage that we don't use, sooo people could crash in there, but they'd have to bring space heaters, sleeping bags, and other crap. Using a pot cut for food doesn't sound bad to me, but if I get a general concensous that it's a ****ty idea, I'll try and figure out something else.

As far as advertising in the BC/WA threads, I'm not sure what the best way to go about that is. If someone who's done this more than me wants to give a little advice or just step up and do that part of the work, that'd be awesome. I mean, I could just go post, but some of you might already have connections in those areas and make things sound better than me.

Eggz

Smash Hero
I'll go post for you.
15/10 is fine.
Not everyone would need housing from you, and other people in the portland area would probably be willing to help out.

EDIT: I'm from WA

jankerrific

Smash Journeyman
i can bring 1 tv and 1 cube+game. housing is on binx, i volunteer him.

i think its a great idea raising the price to draw in other states. what does the rest of oregon think?

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
Oh I forgot about that I can bring a t.v. and since I am a poor, poor kid I don't like paying it but I don't mind it to play new people but I love all of you OR and WA people so either way I am fine

Climax11

Smash Ace
Cool. I'll check tomorrow to see if I have any recording stuff. So peach masta, you've got a tv, but not a cube? or did I misunderstand

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
Yeah because the cube I use is kind of brokenn and only two slots work and thats if you plug them in just right so I don't want anyone to bother with that

cmin

Smash Ace
oh you also forgot mention that a mexican reached into your window and stole your Wii Peach MASTA

jankerrific

Smash Journeyman
LOLOLOL yea while ryan sat there and watched, then turned around and pretending nothing happened hahahahahaha.

Binx

Smash Master
LOL so gage, when are we gonna do that money match?

So a mexican reached in and stole it and Ryan didn't say anything!?? lol

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
No no no you all gots this wrong. A mexican had all ready stole my Wii from a previous night while I must have been asleep or something. Ryan saw him when he was scoping my room for more items. He wasn't really that lucky though. Because my Wii was broken and he only stole the Wii not the AV cords or the power cord or even the Wiimote haha.

Juce

Smash Ace
hmmm i don't know why i wouldn't be able to go to this. i might not have money to enter, but i should have no problem getting there

Eggz

Smash Hero
hmmm i don't know why i wouldn't be able to go to this. i might not have money to enter, but i should have no problem getting there
Nooooooooooooo

get money to enter. Its like 20 days away. How hard can it be to save 1$ a day to enter singles? =_____=

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Wow, I just now saw that this was a Portland tournament. I thought it was NorCal all this time for some reason.

cmin

Smash Ace
Jesse, sell someone your left kneecap or something for moneys. you dont need it for smash

Top Bottom