• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@Maffewt I added you to the supporter list. :)

If the Duck Hunt Dog somehow finally gets in Smash as a newcomer, then my goal I set in 2002 would finally be accomplished. But the fact none of the SSB4 leaks has Duck Hunt Dog is a little disheartening and it only makes me more determined to continue supporting for Duck Hunt Dog in SSB5. I wish to make Duck Hunt Dog one of the most-wanted characters for SSB5 that Sakurai and Nintendo take notice.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It is now April 21, 2014... it is the 30th anniversary of Duck Hunt!

Could Sakurai show a related picture on Miiverse tonight?

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I can't believe I haven't posted here yet!

Duck Hunt Dog would be amazing, and he's really the only retro character I want. The other probable ones seem kinda boring. Add me to that supporter list!

If the Duck Hunt Dog somehow finally gets in Smash as a newcomer, then my goal I set in 2002 would finally be accomplished. But the fact none of the SSB4 leaks has Duck Hunt Dog is a little disheartening and it only makes me more determined to continue supporting for Duck Hunt Dog in SSB5. I wish to make Duck Hunt Dog one of the most-wanted characters for SSB5 that Sakurai and Nintendo take notice.
That's my same goal for the Plasm Wraith. Of course the Plasm Wraith is a lot less iconic, but nevertheless, I will support it forever. :bee:

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Plasm Wraith.... is very hard... that thing killed many of my Pikmin. I am so glad I defeated the final boss... Nintendo needs to make Pikmin 4... and remake Pikmin 1+2 in HD.

I really wish that Duck Hunt Dog is in Smash somewhere... I am anxious to see the dog, the ducks and the NES Zapper in HD! :awesome:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I actually wouldn't mind seeing him in smash, never thought of much of a proper move set for him but he actually does have a niche for the game. Unlike G&W or ROB, he comes further from left field but also has a driving factor that would welcome him into the game as well.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Revive.

I support.
He is my favorite retro choice, and in my opinion, the most deserving.
I feel he actually stands a pretty decent shot!

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I think the only problem standing in DHD's way isn't a plausible move set but solely Saki not wanting to accept outside opinion on moves towards new characters. Here's to hoping SSBC can persuade his views

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I'd be cool with this if only because he'd have what I would claim to be the best taunt in the game.

I'm also very open to joke characters in fighting games and the Duck Hunt Dog would be my absolute favorite if he became playable in Smash.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
I'll actually be fairly annoyed if the DHD doesn't appear in at least -some- form. He'd be an amazing playable character, an amazing assist trophy AND an amazing stage element. The game has everything to gain from his inclusion. And he's a huge Nintendo icon at that! I'd much rather take him over *shudder* Takamaru.

Imagine an AT where he appears and so do the ducks, and if you hit the ducks you get reward and if you don't you get laughed at?

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I want him to make some kind of appearence. Playable is always nice. Support! Haha I could totally see him and a duck functioning as "not" Banjo Kazooie.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Surprised to see this bumped... just so you guys know, while the Duck Hunt Dog is still my number one most wanted retro newcomer (now that I got Pit and Little Mac), I don't have much hope for him to make an appearance, not even as a sticker. From what I can tell, Gematsu leaks only has characters who were in recent games.

Villager from Animal Crossing: City Folk
Mega Man from Mega Man 9 and 10
Wii Fit Trainer from Wii Fit games
Rosalina from Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 3D World
Little Mac from Punch-Out!! (Wii)
Greninja from Pokemon X / Y
Mii Fighters from Wii Sports, StreetPass Mii Plaza, and so on
Palutena from Kid Icarus: Uprising
Pac-Man from Namco Museum games and Pac-Man Championship Edition

Chrom from Fire Emblem: Awakening
Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles
Chorus Men from Rhythm Heaven games

I guess I'm giving up on the Duck Hunt Dog for Smash 4. I'd like to be wrong but I'm not seeing it. What he needs is more exposure in today's Nintendo games... games like NES Remix and Nintendo Land or even a revival game like Little Mac got, know what I mean? Maybe by then, he might be a strong candidate for Smash 5…

Last edited:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Surprised to see this bumped... just so you guys know, while the Duck Hunt Dog is still my number one most wanted retro newcomer (now that I got Pit and Little Mac), I don't have much hope for him to make an appearance, not even as a sticker. From what I can tell, Gematsu leaks only has characters who were in recent games.

I guess I'm giving up on the Duck Hunt Dog for Smash 4. I'd like to be wrong but I'm not seeing it. What he needs is more exposure in today's Nintendo games... games like NES Remix and Nintendo Land or even a revival game like Little Mac got, know what I mean? Maybe by then, he might be a strong candidate for Smash 5…
Gematsu doesn't claim nor seem to be all of the newcomers we're getting. They were only newcomers that were supposed to be tied to E3 and the Smash Direct. If they were all the newcomers, that would mean no newcomers were going to remain secret until release, which seems highly unlikely. Sakurai also wanted to incorporate more retro representation. Though some could argue that Pacman, Megaman, Little Mac, and Palutena do represent the NES days, their hasn't been a new retro revival character, which isn't certain to happen but is something people expect. It's not hopeless. Not likely either though. I just think if they made him and a duck function like Banjo Kazooie, and the put K Rool in, they would be taking advantage of a Rare opportunity to poke fun at Microsoft and Rare.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Takamaru you fool!!

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Sakurai and the Duck Hunt Dog are two of the world's biggest trolls. It's a match made in heaven. Takamaru is cool but overrated and less unique. Wouldn't complain though.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Support.
Hoping for a revival of the character.
Hope he becomes a platforming adventure game.
Hope he becomes a spiritual successor of Banjo-Kazooie.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well at this point

Now forgive me of sounding like a gave up but

At this point the digs only chance is if we have a 51 character roster and the dog takes the last spot.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Well at this point

Now forgive me of sounding like a gave up but

At this point the digs only chance is if we have a 51 character roster and the dog takes the last spot.
Now days every body wanna talk like they got something to say but nothing comes out when they move their lips just a bunch of gibberish like they forgot about DLC.

Yams

Smash Journeyman
In honor of my most wanted character, a clay model! Made by me :)

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I've been seeing lots of hate for DHD for appearing in a pretty believable leak.
It makes me real sad people see him as old joke now.
Is it really "pretty believable", though?

Anyways, Smashboards is telling me I never posted here, but I could swear I had? Either way, count me in as a supporter.

Yams

Smash Journeyman
I've been seeing lots of hate for DHD for appearing in a pretty believable leak.
It makes me real sad people see him as old joke now.
What's the leak? Can you give me a link? I am really still holding out hope for Duck Hunt Dog, he'll always be my most wanted character.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
What's the leak? Can you give me a link? I am really still holding out hope for Duck Hunt Dog, he'll always be my most wanted character.
You won't like most of the info, but he has been correct on a few things:
http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb4-leak-archive.354359/
Post 1
Hey team, just thought I'd let you know something that may interest you all. A friend of mine recently found out that a friend of his from college is currently a beta and bug tester for Sm4sh! While he has revealed that he is in fact aware of the roster he fears that his job would be compromised by giving us large details so he has essentially dropped a couple of details to us that are small but none the less interesting

Keep in mind that I got my information about a week before the direct so some stuff has since been proven, I just didn't wanna talk about it until I got more substantial info/proof.

-Roster is allegedly in his words going to be "The most beloved in the series to date" With him saying that there are some very unexpected surprises in store (Me and my friend speculate he is referring to the Chorus Men as well as Greninja)

-Lot's of nintendo fanservice from series that have previously gotten little representation (was not specific as to what the representation was)

-The game has been the most enjoyable in the series thus far gameplay wise (According to my friend, our source is a hard core melee guy, and hated design choices present in brawl, leading me to believe that the game leans more towards melee then brawl)

-Costume colors have been completely redone axing some colors that have been present since N64. While no examples were given, his exact words were "There's some CRAZY stuff. Super tasteful, as usual."

While I'm confident in this source, take it with a grain of salt, I know it's not that interesting of stuff, but it get's me pretty hyped.Oh and out of courtesy of my source, I'd rather that these observations and quotes do not leave this thread, and that if they do, at least credit me anonymously to keep from anyone getting fired and such! Thanks a lot all, and I hope you might enjoy these tidbits

Post 2
Little bit of info for you guys, according to my source, Charizard and Mario specifically will be getting some new costumes, with Mario's Blue team costume being replaced with something "Much more team friendly". He also stated that The outlines are hard to get used to on the 3DS but once you do, they work wonders, but didn't mention how team colors work on console.
So I got more info...
Unless my friend is pulling my leg, there's some pretty crazy crap left to be revealed.

-Snake, Lucas, Ice Climbers (Why), and Wolf are cut
-Doctor Mario is back as a clone
-Dark Pit is a newcomer as a clone
-Each character gets 8 alternate costumes, whether they be pallet swaps or new costumes.
-Alph appears as 4 of Olimar's costumes, while the other 4 are Olimar's.
-Shulk will be playable with Gaur Plains as his stage, his neutral B changes his Monado mode which essentially makes him dish more damage and take more, or do less damage, and take less.
-Bowser Jr appears as a new comer and allegedly fights from a mario kart... has no alt colors, but instead has the 7 koopalings as alts.
-Duck Hunt is in... from what I've been told it's the duck hunt dog fighting with ducks on his back who assist for certain attacks...

*Edit more info
-Shulk has like 5 different mode swaps
-Bowser Jr rides in a koopa kart that attacks with cannon balls and boxing gloves and stuff that eject from the clowns mouth.

note* The kart sounds more like the koopa clown car to me as I read it.

Now I'm not even sure from this stuff so take it with a grain of salt, but my friend recently quit as a tester due to family reasons, so if he decided he no longer cares what leaks, I could see why he'd tell me.
He was also unclear to me as to if that is the rest of the roster so also be wary.
The axing of some character colors is indeed true, and there are in fact crazy new stuff given to characters for costumes and palletes.
-Costume colors have been completely redone axing some colors that have been present since N64. While no examples were given, his exact words were "There's some CRAZY stuff. Super tasteful, as usual."

Reila

Well, I guess Mario wearing the colors of the flag of the United States counts as some CRAZY stuff.

I kinda dislike this leak because of no Ridley, but at the same time I like the idea of Bowser Jr in a Koopa Car and Duck Hunt Dog.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
This is supposed to be the most beloved roster in series and it cuts Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake, and Lucas? Adds Dr. Mario and Dark Pit. Say what? Sure it's got Duck Hunt Dog and that would be pretty damn awesome, but the damage done is kinda outweighing the pros imo.

Reila

It is not like Ice Climbers and Wolf are extremely popular characters, but yeah, it would be far from the most beloved roster imo.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
This is supposed to be the most beloved roster in series and it cuts Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake, and Lucas? Adds Dr. Mario and Dark Pit. Say what? Sure it's got Duck Hunt Dog and that would be pretty damn awesome, but the damage done is kinda outweighing the pros imo.
Well Sakurai's "massive" roster will most likely have the filler clones like Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Dixie Kong, Lucina etc.
It's not that bad if you set that aside.

Sagashi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sagashi
I really hope they're wrong. While I'd love to see DHD (So yeah, count me as a supporter), I don't want to see Ice Climbers go.

Reila

There's always DLC to bring them back anyways.
That is actually a possibility (cutting certain characters to bring them back as DLCs). Nintendo wouldn't be the first company to do that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If that leak/rumor is real... Bowser Jr. instead of Toad? Dr. Mario is back? Dark Pit is a clone of Pit just like I predicted? Cutting two of my favorite semi-clones Lucas and Wolf? I hate that.

But Duck Hunt Dog as a retro newcomer? With attacks involving ducks? I would hype and forgive (but not forget) Sakurai for his poor decisions regarding identical clones (seriously, it is BS to cut semi-clones and add identical clones) and omitting Toad for the umpteenth time.

Duck Hunt Dog is my #1 most wanted retro Nintendo newcomer.

Yams

Smash Journeyman
Now that this thread is somewhat revived... Do you guys think the Dog has any sort of chance? I'm holding out a tiny bit of hope for him being playable, but I would at least hope he gets some sort of reference. For has much as Sakurai talked up retro characters, we haven't really seen any of them yet.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Now that this thread is somewhat revived... Do you guys think the Dog has any sort of chance? I'm holding out a tiny bit of hope for him being playable, but I would at least hope he gets some sort of reference. For has much as Sakurai talked up retro characters, we haven't really seen any of them yet.
I feel the same way. I was feeling a little disappointed and a bit demoralized that there have been absolutely zero retro newcomers in SSB4. But then I just found out about this leak that @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 just posted earlier... and now I am having false hopes for Duck Hunt Dog and Takamaru, my #1 and #2 most wanted retro newcomers respectively. (curse you Blue :troll:)

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
DHD would quite possibly be the best ideal retro character ever to ever be added on the roster bias aside. Sakurai has been more ideal lately with adding Robin instead of Chrom, it could be the same when picking the two retros Sakurai wants.

Yams

Smash Journeyman
DHD would quite possibly be the best ideal retro character ever to ever be added on the roster bias aside. Sakurai has been more ideal lately with adding Robin instead of Chrom, it could be the same when picking the two retros Sakurai wants.
I agree, I always though he made so much sense and represented more than met the eye... The big thing against him is his infamy :(

Top Bottom