• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
Hi everyone. Been using the dog and duck since the launch of the 3DS version. On the Wii U version on For Glory I decide to give the Duo names in the nametag area including SCOOBYDOO, DAFFYDUCK, SNOOPY, DONALDDUCK, PLUTO, NAGA, COURAGE, OLDYELLER, DARKWING*D, SCROOGE, PLUCKYDUCK, BLUESCLUES, DUCKTECTIV, MARTHASPEKS, LAUNCHPAD and others as well. I switch to palettes that I find to best closely resemble the famous dog or duck in question unless it is a not a natural color such as for BLUESCLUES, I then use the original colors for that. I alternate between a dog and duck name though sometimes I forget and do two ducks or two dogs in a row. I do this for fun, to help lower the chance of someone being rude to me and making a nasty nametag becuase I am using cute names for them (still does not fully work but oh well). I even got some funny responses such as someone mentioning he was happy in the tags that I am using cartoon names and when I used "DARKWING*D" he also said "finally" and mentioned a quote about the Darkwing Duck cartoon and asked me to use a Ducktales name which I did "SCROOGE". I am still bitter to this day that I forgot his username as I had no idea who to befriend in Miiverse for that. I also got someone to change to "Velma" in reaction to my "SCOOBYDOO" name who was a female Robin.

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I...think I may have become a Villager main in the past few days.

The fact he has a similar style to DH with better frame data, reliable kills and a merciless recovery has spoiled me.

I'm still going to play the Dog as a second, with chance to come back if he's buffed, but in any case, I might say it's been real, mah dawgs.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
Phewww okay, finally have my feet back under me after moving from Cleveland, OH to Vienna, VA. Finally have time for Smash (/literally anything else that isn't work, unpacking or sleeping). Going to get my rhythm back and then start heading to Xanadu and some other spots in the area! Looking forward to meeting the preeminent DHs in the area @ DunnoBro DunnoBro @ThatGuyYouMightKnow , hoping I can get on ur level this summer :yeahboi:

AusGremlinBoy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AussieGremlinBoy
3DS FC
1934-1768-8886
Anyone got any combos for DH? Looking to keep him as a pocket character. Thanks ^w^

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I went to my first Smash 4 tournament yesterday in Hagerstown MD - as well as my first tournament period in the past 6 years. I got 1st in my pool before getting knocked into loser's by Boss. All in all I had fun and met some cool guys.

AusGremlinBoy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AussieGremlinBoy
3DS FC
1934-1768-8886
Great job dude :D
Honestly, Boss would've knocked any DHDs out, his mains are just so good in contrast to him.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Boss would've knocked any DHDs out
I've beaten boss several times before.

Though now I can't touch him with DHD, he's the main player I lab with and knows essentially all my tricks/techs and how to avoid them.

His counter strategy to custom DHD is literally "play like an idiot and ignore your set-ups." and it's infuriating how that works.

Last edited:

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
I went to my first Smash 4 tournament yesterday in Hagerstown MD - as well as my first tournament period in the past 6 years. I got 1st in my pool before getting knocked into loser's by Boss. All in all I had fun and met some cool guys.
Nice dude! Who did you face off against in pools? Glad you had a good time!

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Went to another weekly yesterday and did better and placed higher. I seem to struggle against Link though. And anyone that can just eat through clay pidgeon either with a projectile or a meaty move gives me trouble.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I've beaten boss several times before.

Though now I can't touch him with DHD, he's the main player I lab with and knows essentially all my tricks/techs and how to avoid them.

His counter strategy to custom DHD is literally "play like an idiot and ignore your set-ups." and it's infuriating how that works.
This is what happened. I just couldn't stop the pressure and he was just completely forcing me to shield or react with a can trade so we both take damage. My games with him weren't streamed so I couldn't go back and study.

Nice dude! Who did you face off against in pools? Glad you had a good time!
Thanks guys - no one notable, everyone was decent but the best player in my pool was another DHD and I managed to beat him out for 1st. There were a lot of guys I see on Xanadu streams there as well but they were in the other 2 pools.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wish I could hit the can in the air... imagine how awesome it would be for DHD to hit the can straight ahead after shooting it up? Or even do a cartwheel on the can while it's up in the air...

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I wish I could hit the can in the air... imagine how awesome it would be for DHD to hit the can straight ahead after shooting it up? Or even do a cartwheel on the can while it's up in the air...
This would make it the ultimate projectile

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
So I found @ outfoxd outfoxd on SmashLadder...

He's goooood. Goddamn, we all gotta step our game up.

Reizilla

Any tips on the Falcon matchup? I have a really hard time zoning him and my boxing game isn't good enough to keep up with him.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
What timing for you to ask that, @ Reizilla Reizilla . Just last week, we doggies were discussing that MU. As for some direct tips before you go visit our MU thread, try to zone him for as long as you can before he reaches you. Once he DOES get in (which is very likely going to happen within seconds on (walled) Omega stages due to both his great ground & aerial movement speeds, as well as his Falcon Kick & various defensive maneuvers), stop zoning for a bit and aggressively rush him down yourself with FAirs, NAirs, Jabs, F/D Tilts, Grabs (your projectiles can make landing this easier, especially Gunmen, due to said projectiles possibly tempting him to retreat into shield) & Cans until you can build up enough damage on him for your attacks to push him back enough for your projectile walls to be safely put back up.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Hey guys, if the dog and duck could talk, and had voice actors, who do you think would voice them?
Well, I'd want John Goodman voicing the dog for starters (that man can add warmth to a character like nobody else) and I think the duck would be Ashly Burch from "Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin'?" (She also played Tiny Tina in Borderlands 2 and Breezy in the Adventure Time episode "Breezy"...

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I've come to the conclusion custom duck hunt is virtually unplayable on wifi.

You can't frame trap or even space zigzag shots properly due to even the most minute input lag. You can play the neutral game fine enough, but you can't properly set up the kill combos if you're even a few frames off in your shot timings, or your aerial placement.

It even screws up the auto combo, if you didn't buffer mashes from the very first shot, generally they skip too many frames for it to work.

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd

You can't frame trap or even space zigzag shots properly due to even the most minute input lag. You can play the neutral game fine enough, but you can't properly set up the kill combos if you're even a few frames off in your shot timings, or your aerial placement.

It even screws up the auto combo, if you didn't buffer mashes from the very first shot, generally they skip too many frames for it to work.
As my main means of practice is wifi, this does not bode well for me in the customs meta.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
As much as I love some of my other secondaries, DHD is the one I feel most comfortable with. Greninja and Villager aren't doing it for me.

Smooth Criminal

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well, I'd want John Goodman voicing the dog for starters (that man can add warmth to a character like nobody else) and I think the duck would be Ashly Burch from "Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin'?" (She also played Tiny Tina in Borderlands 2 and Breezy in the Adventure Time episode "Breezy"...
Well, John Goodman DID voice Beethoven (the dog) in the Christmas movie that series had, so...

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
And he played Sulley in Monsters Inc./University, which is kiiiiiinda like playing a dog.

I mean, Boo always called him "Kitty" so-- wait...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
And he played Sulley in Monsters Inc./University, which is kiiiiiinda like playing a dog.

I mean, Boo always called him "Kitty" so-- wait...
Would it seem cliche if I was thinking more along the lines of:
Dog - Jeff Bergman or Billy West
Duck - Joe Alaskey or Sonny Strait
So.....

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Hi, Kyo. Doing well. Took a break from smash for a year or two, but now I'm back. How about you?
Oh y'know, hanging around every now and then. Hope you're fine, also, fancy to learn you play DH. Such a funny character to play as.

The reason I virtually don't play WiFi at all. Like, once in a while I get a couple matches, but that's about it. The fact my actions keep missing, I don't punish on time, or drop combos constantly, kinda scares me from trying them IRL....

Reizilla

Yep. I first picked him up because I thought it would be a good way to slow the game down with spam after not really playing smash for a couple years. Then, I just really enjoyed shooting at and throwing and kicking things at people. Plus the Dalmatian is cyute.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Been thinking of switching to Robin as the main, with Duck Hunt for other MU's.

Did really well with mainly Robin at a weekly, and loving how consistently I get KO's with her, as opposed to not being to finish stocks with Doggy @_@...

I really hope they fix his smashes in the next patch...

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Been thinking of switching to Robin as the main, with Duck Hunt for other MU's.

Did really well with mainly Robin at a weekly, and loving how consistently I get KO's with her, as opposed to not being to finish stocks with Doggy @_@...

I really hope they fix his smashes in the next patch...
I know what you mean. I've been playing Olimar on the side and am often surprised when I take stocks from 120%. I remember one time playing a guy in tournament and our set took 20 minutes. After it was done, he turned to me and said, "(Playing as Duck Hunt) That must be so exhausting..."

I love playing as Duck Hunt. I love that I'm starting to get known as a sorta-alright Duck Hunt main in my region, but I have had a lot of moments where I just wanna play someone not so complicated.

So that's why I'm picking up Olimar...

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I know what you mean. I've been playing Olimar on the side and am often surprised when I take stocks from 120%. I remember one time playing a guy in tournament and our set took 20 minutes. After it was done, he turned to me and said, "(Playing as Duck Hunt) That must be so exhausting..."

I love playing as Duck Hunt. I love that I'm starting to get known as a sorta-alright Duck Hunt main, but I have had a lot of moments where I just wanna play someone not so complicated.

So that's why I'm picking up Olimar...
I'm known as THE duck hunt locally (at least for CFL, south FL has MVD), but man every stock has been ending at around 180%, while my Robin is ending people at 90% @_@ It's a ruff choice, I'll still play doggy but he may take a back seat...

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I picked up Yoshi and used him at my last tournament. Something about having great frame data and confident killing power (KOBE DUNK) makes me feel guilty.

Reizilla

I'm trying to pick up Sheik for when I feel Duck Huntwon't cut it and for Sonic. I'd pick up Mewtwo, but my main practice buddy doesn't want to spend the money.

AusGremlinBoy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AussieGremlinBoy
3DS FC
1934-1768-8886
I'd pick up Mewtwo, but my main practice buddy doesn't want to spend the money.
Both people don't need to buy mewtwo. Nintendo have a thing for on-cart DLC.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Anyone enjoying any of the new DLC characters to back up DHD? I may practice up Lucas as a new main...kid seems pretty legit and...has no issue getting KOs.

Of course Ryu seems like he may be everyone's new pocket character. I can't get a feel for Roy at all but seems kinda solid.

Top Bottom