• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hey duck hunt mains! I popped in to say that along with Bowser Jr, i've been using DHD as a secondary and I absolutely love them. Aside from being ADORABLE to the highest degree, they make everyone rage around them, so life is awesome! But yep, much like Bowser Jr, i'll be excited to see where you guys take him, and although I don't think i'll get very far in tournament with him, i'll be rooting for you guys in your exploits. Good luck, yup!

Gee, in retrospect this came out almost exactly like what I wrote on the bowser Jr boards, but oh wellsies :o

So as for my thoughts on him...

Something i've been doing with them is mixing up my use of their specials when trying to get back. So like sometimes i'll chuck out a can and try to dissuade the person edge-guarding with that. Other times i'll use clay shooting or even the gunman.

But yeah, DHD has quite a bit of depth to his play and you can play him in different ways. I think at this point the big excitement over his camp game means his close up game will need fleshing out as time goes on, but you guys have probably already got it under control, so I dunno.

But yep. They're so awesome, can't wait to see peeps doing work with em. <3

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I honestly dislike how there are people out there who have to act like a jerk towards others who still call the character "Duck Hunt Dog". We are all aware that the Smash 4 character involves the dog, a duck, and the hunter from the fourth wall, along with the Wild Gunmen. I and others prefer to call the character "Duck Hunt Dog" regardless, and refer to the character as a "him" instead of a "they". I wish those people will stop being pedantic over other people's choices and just learn to accept others' opinions.

It's like me preferring to pronounce the year 2014 as "two thousand fourteen" instead of "twenty fourteen."
I say "Two Oh One Four" :troll:

But yes, I agree with your post. Really tired of people policing language. I say "Duck Hunt Dog" because the dog is the only reason Duck Hunt is able to have a playable character to begin with. The dog is the only Duck Hunt character who has an appropriate body build suited for Smash.

I say "Duck Hunt Dog" because that's who I have been supporting for 12 years. I often suggested that the dog would use the ducks, clay pigeons, and the NES Zapper in my moveset... and guess what? That's exactly what I got.

I say "Duck Hunt Dog" because the majority of the gaming media are getting hyped over the dog being playable in Smash.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, also wanted to come by and say that I'm using Duck Hunt (Duo) as my third main as well. It's nothing against him, though. I'm just that much more of a beast with Bowser Jr./Larry/Morton Jr./Wendy/Iggy/Roy/Lemmy/Ludwig (That's right, All of them.:awesome:) and Kirby.

Strofirko

Smash Master
I know it's a little late,but I don't know if this thread will continue very active,but I will say it anyway:

Congratulations DHD supporters for thinking about an iconic character would work in smash bros,after so many years implementing the idea on the mind of smash community,doing many different movesets,creating many different things on deviantart,and avoiding all of the detractors that can read sakurai mind making pointless bias walltexts,sakurai is an unpredictable person,and DHD was sure something that marked NES era,proven on the trailer just by be shown on the sides of great faces like Mario,Samus,Link and others,a cartoony retro character that was sure a great choice to represent the retro spot on smash 4,of course there were another big retro choices,but DHD worked so well because of his varied style of being a NES Zapper rep,a cartoony animal and a fourth wall breaker,and if you think about he is even getting more love than ROB did back in Brawl,of course there will be the strongest detractors that will try to take all the credit out of you supporters,but ignore them you were backing up the idea when they were just continuously bashing it,and I want to personally congratulate you @ Arcadenik Arcadenik ,the master behind this thread,that even after being very bullied with your silly idea,continued supporting the character for several years, and on the end your persistence was really paid off.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The stage looks pretty interesting... grass grows in front of background grass, obscuring the view... I also like that the bush and the two biggest branches of the trees are platforms... I'm surprised that this isn't a walk-off stage but I'm not complaining.

Hoping that SSB5 brings this stage back as a past stage while introducing a new Duck Hunt stage... please Nintendo, make a new Duck Hunt Banjo-Kazooie game just so we can get a new stage from that game!!!

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
It's just how I envisioned them to be... breaking the fourth wall to fight and seemingly aware that they are video game characters... love how exaggerated their expressions were... you all remember when I used to say that DHD is a cartoon dog styled after old American cartoons (think Looney Tunes and Tex Avery) from the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s...

You all remember when I said that DHD could work as a plausible Smash fighter but Nintendog wouldn't work as a plausible Smash fighter? I think that you can see it for yourself when you go to 2:00 in DHD's trailer and see a cartoon dog right next to a real life dog. I don't think the Nintendogs would be able to make these humorous exaggerated faces like DHD... also, how could Nintendogs carry crates if they aren't even capable of walking on two legs like DHD can?

Not to mention that normal people would rather shoot a cartoon dog than to kick a real life dog.
We should petition Nintendo for them to make Duck Hunt Duo shorts just like the classic Looney Tunes saga.

Spirst

I actually like the stage. It's not anything revolutionary but the music and aesthetics of it blend well with the character it represents.

We should petition Nintendo for them to make Duck Hunt Duo shorts just like the classic Looney Tunes saga.
That would be great. I'd watch that every night before bed.

My Username Was Taken

Smash Rookie
NNID
EcclesMan
3DS FC
3903-7912-3124
Their trailer was one of the best out of all of them!
Although, everyone seems to think they get surprised bu the text, but I thought it flew out too fast and slapped the Dog in the face! Both make sense, so I dunno.

The music's great and the stage looks cool too. And it's kinda like the one I made, so I'm gonna say that I called it so I feel good inside.

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
I say "Two Oh One Four" :troll:
Come to think of it, that is better to just say the digits, especially when we get to the 22nd century, "two one four five" is easier to say for the year 2145 than "twenty one forty five" or "twenty one hundred forty five".

Back on topic, I am still ecstatic that a character I supported for so long to be a fighter in a Smash game is actually in. I'm putting work into using him regularly in For Glory mode. He is far from my main (my current main is Bowser), but DHD makes a great counterpick against projectile spammers I cannot beat as Bowser.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think the Duck Hunt stage is tourney legal... there's no stage hazards. There are like four platforms - one on the bush, two on the tree, and the 8-bit dog.

I wonder what the Final Destination version is like...

Spirst

I think the Duck Hunt stage is tourney legal... there's no stage hazards. There are like four platforms - one on the bush, two on the tree, and the 8-bit dog.

I wonder what the Final Destination version is like...
I'm hoping it's legal, it seems cool. The FD version will probably have the same look but with non-interactable platforms or the tree and bush will be gone altogether and the dog randomly appearss in the background.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Duck Hunt along with Bowser Jr. has now become my two mains in smash 4, and now that Mewtwo is back.... ALL MY MAINS FROM ALL SMASH GAMES ARE IN SMASH 4 as listed:
Ness, Mr. Game & Watch, Sonic, Mewtwo, Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm hoping it's legal, it seems cool. The FD version will probably have the same look but with non-interactable platforms or the tree and bush will be gone altogether and the dog randomly appearss in the background.
It would be pretty cool if the FD version is based on the clay shooting mode instead of the duck hunting mode... but yeah, what you just described is probably more likely.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
The stage I can see being legal, the platforms are unintrusive, the ducks can only be shot by attacks, and it's not a walk-off.
As for the dog, I have been taking pictures of the dog in ridiculus situations (such as in Wario's mouth). Guess you could call me a fan of the dog.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Well, I never thought I'd say this, but to all those who wanted Duck Hunt Dog, congratulations.
Any ideas for any game concepts for a new Duck Hunt game? How about a Banjo-Kazooiesque platformer, and the player can use the Wii U gamepad or Wii Remote to shoot things to solve puzzles and defeat enemies?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That Duck Hunt Medley though, it's shaping up to be my favorite retro remix in the entire game. It gave me plenty of Chuck Jones x Wayside vibes with bits of the Stage Clear and the Game A theme.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Has anyone else held onto their old Wii Zapper for the upcoming VC release? I'm glad I still have mine – I've never actually had a chance to play the original game before, so it would just feel empty without a gun.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Has anyone else held onto their old Wii Zapper for the upcoming VC release? I'm glad I still have mine – I've never actually had a chance to play the original game before, so it would just feel empty without a gun.
I did not bother getting the Wii Zapper when it first came out... I was not interested in Link's Crossbow Training simply because it wasn't Duck Hunt Wii... that, and I didn't really like the Twilight Princess version of Hyrule at the time.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I did not bother getting the Wii Zapper when it first came out... I was not interested in Link's Crossbow Training simply because it wasn't Duck Hunt Wii... that, and I didn't really like the Twilight Princess version of Hyrule at the time.
They're going for real cheap online right now; I've seen several for under $10, and some used ones for under $3.

Not for me since I already had one (I used mine for Metroid Prime and Mario Galaxy more), but it would be a shame if they were too expensive for most people to play Duck Hunt as it was meant to be played.

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
So have people seen this?? I was a little surprised by this with my reaction being "OMG NO WAY". I was a little hesitant to share this.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADMUKmJhddt7g

I can't believe it's still up on Miiverse since this brings up such a strong innuendo (the duck is a phallic shape). It's not going to be taken down as far as I know because Miiverse admins haven't perceived this as an innuendo (yet), but rather that it hasn't gotten complaints.

Is this image worth reporting on Miiverse? If a mod sees this, I'd like to know his or her opinion on this and if it's worth reporting on Miiverse. The Miiverse admins don't see a problem with this (yet) because to an innocent person it may seem like the dog is gonna eat the duck, but in a "mature" mind people will get the wrong message.

Last edited:

Spirst

So have people seen this?? I was a little surprised by this with my reaction being "OMG NO WAY". I was a little hesitant to share this. I can't believe it's still up on Miiverse since this brings up such a strong innuendo (the duck is a phallic shape). It's not going to be taken down as far as I know because Miiverse admins haven't perceived this as an innuendo (yet), but rather that it hasn't gotten complaints.
Just...no...

Last edited:

Spirst

It makes me extremely uneasy of what lurks in the depths of Miiverse...
I try to avoid Miiverse because of all the 10 year olds and airheads I find on there each time I check it. Stuff like this is also a good incentive to stay away.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Don't tell me that "The Bard" guy is back again with his 'Miiverse after dark' nonsense.:glare: Get the 8-Bit firing squad, (the wild gunmen) and let's go.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Don't tell me that "The Bard" guy is back again with his 'Miiverse after dark' nonsense.:glare: Get the 8-Bit firing squad, (the wild gunmen) and let's go.
Apparently it wasn't The Bard. You'd think it was, but it isn't. It makes me wonder if I should report this... I'm sure Miiverse admins will see it soon.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Okay, I revamped the three OPs on page one with new pictures and videos. Enjoy! :awesome:

By the way, the original posts are still there except they are collapsed now.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Could we get the thread renamed to the social thread, and give it a funny/quirky quote related to dogs socializing? I think people know that the DHD has been confirmed by now. Anyway, all I see on Miiverse related to the DHD is Five Nights at Freddy's crossovers, I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the Smash Bros. Miiverse community is obsessed with FNAF, I see a post related to it constantly on there.

Top Bottom